8 [17.39%]
6 [13.04%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 19:49
Haven't listened to any of them, yet, but I'll probably have checked them all out by the end of January.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - November 22 2014 at 20:36
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 10:28
I only have two of the albums , IQ and Corvus Stone. I'm amazed that Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics is not making the top five buy hey ho. IQ's album is well overrated and I can say that as a long time IQ fan. Disc One is fairly uninspired 3 star stuff while the bonus disc admittedly rescues it somewhat and could be rated 4 stars on its on although that is not the main disc.
Corvus Stone are creating something unique and should be judged on their own terms. Instead many are trying to shoehorn it into their own idea of what prog should be. Prog should fly and be challenging. It veers all over the place and maybe it lacks direction but I like it just the way it is. Its a lot of fun you know (yep prog can be fun!!)
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:06
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Voted Opeth with Logos a close second but neither will be my album of the year.

Clap
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I only have two of the albums , IQ and Corvus Stone. I'm amazed that Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics is not making the top five buy hey ho. IQ's album is well overrated and I can say that as a long time IQ fan. Disc One is fairly uninspired 3 star stuff while the bonus disc admittedly rescues it somewhat and could be rated 4 stars on its on although that is not the main disc.
Corvus Stone are creating something unique and should be judged on their own terms. Instead many are trying to shoehorn it into their own idea of what prog should be. Prog should fly and be challenging. It veers all over the place and maybe it lacks direction but I like it just the way it is. Its a lot of fun you know (yep prog can be fun!!)

Big smile
Sorry but I couldn't resist commenting on this!
Something tells me that if everyone liked what we do straight away, it would have been a failure in a way. It would probably have meant we had become derivative of something or even ourselves. Some love it and that's a great thing. We must go forth and forth and even fifth!
That was fun to read Mr H!
http://www.corvusstone.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 05:48
IQ, followed by Corvus Stone.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 02:59
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The Road of Bones is probably the best album of this millenium so far.

Pale Communion is very good, the Logos and I am the Morning albums aren't bad, but I really don't like Corvus Stone at all.
What is it with bands etc and Corvus Stone?!
This is becoming too silly really even for me and I am as silly as one can be really Smile 

I like Road of Bones, infact I shared a review by Tszirmay (one of my ultimate favorite plus so much fun to read reviewers ever) which had zero fb likes at the time copied below here:
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Wow! Aww Unhappy This doesn’t seem fair to me, one review posted in May with no facebook likes? The other review posted just 2 or 3 days ago has 28 fb shares/likes?! Love or hate fb the fact is that this social network site has many active fans, band and music group pages.

Writing reviews like this is an art form that requires a high level of skill and imagination. You can see and feel a lot of thought, time and effort have been put in writing these articulate reviews.

Both reviews are a gem and like many other ProgArchives collaborator review's they deserve to be shared far and wide onto sites like facebook etc for other fellow moozik aficionados to appreciate them too.

Hugs

Like Corvus Stone or not that's your prerogative, of course, the fact is that they are happy to be here on ProgArchives.
In order to show that this band is liked by some, I am posting here a printscreen of the rating at the time on Amazon (4th all time best sellers and number 1 hot new releases) sales by just one source here, however Amazon is legit too among others sites. Bands struggle very hard, all bands.

This band is just happy to be here, they do NOT think they are the greatest, far from this. Please stop hating on them. Cry 

Edited by Kati - November 27 2014 at 12:44
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 03:22
One thing this band has fans, i.e. the reviews on here are real and if you carefully look at them, none of them went further as to rate other bands low. Smile

Edited by Kati - November 27 2014 at 12:47
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 03:50
To be fair Sonia, he only said that he doesn't like the band. Everyone states something along those lines over the forum at some point. I remember you saying the same about punk
I mean, if we can't express our opinions, positive and negative, then this whole thing becomes one big pat on the shoulder. We're all individualist here with different tastes, opinions and musical preferences.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 03:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

To be fair Sonia, he only said that he doesn't like the band. Everyone states something along those lines over the forum at some point. I remember you saying the same about punk
I mean, if we can't express our opinions, positive and negative, then this whole thing becomes one big pat on the shoulder. We're all individualist here with different tastes, opinions and musical preferences.

Awww Guldbamsen, true, maybe I overacted, this could be true, the thing is that people vote and somehow after voting their favorites the only band they mention in a negative manner is CS the underdogs.  Unfortunately this last comment got the wrong end of the stick with me, I try my best not to comment and certainly never post however I feel sad and just wish we all were happy Ouch
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 03:59
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Awww Guldbamsen, true, maybe I overacted, this could be true, the thing is that people vote and somehow after voting their favorites the only band they mention in a negative manner is CS the underdogs.  Unfortunately this last comment got the wrong end of the stick with me, I try my best not to comment and certainly never post however I feel sad and just wish we all were happy Ouch
hihihi you pest Big smileLOL punk is not a band you silly thing! Hug
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 04:04

No problem you delightfully silly girl. I can't say that I wouldn't have reacted in the same manner, if I'd contributed to the album in some way. I guess it takes thick skin to be in this business.
And you're right punk is not an album, bad form

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 27 2014 at 04:04
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 04:09

No problem you delightfully silly girl. I can't say that I wouldn't have reacted in the same manner, if I'd contributed to the album in some way. I guess it takes thick skin to be in this business.
And you're right punk is not an album, bad form
Heart Big smile hahahaha!!! you see! You are very silly too! LOL indeedy punk moozik (they refuse to play proper notes, very rebellious) big hug Hug
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 13:47
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

I want to downgrade my rating for Corvus Stone to 3 stars after listening to it a lot. It is good but lacks cohesion and meanders too much. It also lacks anything I would call memorable, other than Moaning Lisa. So, yes I rushed to judgement too quickly and gave it fours stars. I will remedy that as soon as the site allows me to. It seems to be having problems this week:(

Pity. It sticks in your head after listening a couple of times per day for a month, if you're willing to spend the time. Oh well, opinions are subjective and we're al entitled to our own. I know, because I can't stand Jon Anderson's voice. Wink

For one thing, 3 stars on the PA scale indeed means "good, but not essential". By golly, out of the several million albums, released so far, how many could be described as "good or better" by the PA criteria - ten thousand, on a good day and with some tailwind? So there. 

Corvus Stone, despite being a new band, has a number of devoted and outspoken followers. Recently, there has been a lot of fan-generated buzz here on PA about the band and the new album, which could be crudely described as "The Tench Drench" Geek . One can't expect every and each PA member to express the same level of enthusiasm, and, frankly, some members will feel disappointed. 

The bottom line is that the band have received a lot of PA attention and feedback. What will they do with it, that's up to them, but I am looking forward to their 2016 album, which will hopefully be shorter (if 45' was enough for DSOTM and Red, it should do for CS III as well), jazzier and vinyl-worthy. 

Regarding the 2014 Top 5 list: I went with the Road Of Bones, even though I do not personally like it. I have been very impressed with the progress of iamthemorning as well. 

My personal list would likely include TER, the Face Forward, Jeremy (by Jeremy Pelt and Roxy Coss), and the Life On Planet Earth (by Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra), but that's me, and no-one listens to me, ever Ouch  

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 14:22
^ I'm listening to Live on Planet Earth Smile
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 15:22
People really need to hear Necromonkey "A Glimpse of Possible Endings." That's my favorite. No reviews for it as yet but I will be taking care of that soon.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 15:50
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

People really need to hear Necromonkey "A Glimpse of Possible Endings." That's my favorite. No reviews for it as yet but I will be taking care of that soon.

WordClap! Such a beautiful album from a talented bunch of guys. Looking forward to seeing them again next year at the NJ Proghouse Homecoming Weekend.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 16:03
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Checked out a live in the studio run-through of the title track just now, and it was awesome. Thumbs Up Thanks for the rec!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 16:48
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I'm listening to Live on Planet Earth Smile 

ExclamationCareful Exclamation; It's just something that the good prog people do not talk about in public. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 16:55
^ LOL It's really good, I though for the first 5 minutes it would be a relaxing jazz album but then all hell breaks loose LOL Amazing music, what's its genre: Avant-Jazz? And speaking of Avant it reminded me of another fine release from this year Redwings Nest from SOT Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 18:15
^ This is one cute album .. clever art, too. When in doubt about the genre, go to PA: they say it's RIO/Avant-Prog, apparently.  

'Thou shalt believe and not doubt'. This will make you feel happy and fulfilled. 

Should I challenge you to write the first grassroots review for the Redwings Nest? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>