6 [13.04%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 18:30
^ But they aren't on PA Ermm

Nah, only heard it once or twice on Spotify: I can't recommend it if I still didn't get it myself. You can read some pretty good reviews of that album though: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45563 Smile
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 19:50
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ But they aren't on PA Ermm
Who? 

Nah, only heard it once or twice on Spotify: I can't recommend it if I still didn't get it myself. 
I see; that's legit (or a subtly crafted excuse Stern Smile)

You can read some pretty good reviews of that album though: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45563 Smile 
I have, but those are all by Special Collaborators, and not the everyday folk. When I research a band or an album, I primarily look for reviews by the rank-and-file members. Power to the people! 

Ah, never mind. I'll buy the music (thanks for the lead, btw), and post my ignorant and sketchy, but honest review, for that's what I do :) 

ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 20:14
Belighted
This night wounds time.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 21:38
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

To be honest, a lot of prog albums you need to give it a few spins. Yes I respect first impressions, I too have that, however with so many albums being released it's impossible to listen to all of them or dedicate much time to each one. Major bands will always have the upper-hand, this is fair too sometimes.  However, the internet in this case is not helpful, because I remember the time when I used to save all my pocket money to buy an album and once I got it I enjoyed it to the fullest.
What I don't like is putting the small label artist's down just for the sake of it. I doubt there is a band who use their own personal funds to release something that they have not put all their heart into it.
Critique all you want in a review, this makes sense otherwise it's an unpleasant experience for others and not nice.

Yeah, major bands may have the upper-hand. However, Iamthemorning just showed us a few years ago that a band may come out of nowhere and reach the top of the preferences.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 01:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

To be honest, a lot of prog albums you need to give it a few spins. Yes I respect first impressions, I too have that, however with so many albums being released it's impossible to listen to all of them or dedicate much time to each one. Major bands will always have the upper-hand, this is fair too sometimes.  However, the internet in this case is not helpful, because I remember the time when I used to save all my pocket money to buy an album and once I got it I enjoyed it to the fullest.
What I don't like is putting the small label artist's down just for the sake of it. I doubt there is a band who use their own personal funds to release something that they have not put all their heart into it.
Critique all you want in a review, this makes sense otherwise it's an unpleasant experience for others and not nice.

Yeah, major bands may have the upper-hand. However, Iamthemorning just showed us a few years ago that a band may come out of nowhere and reach the top of the preferences.

Dillinger, speaking of Iamthemorning, this new review I just read http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1316372 by a fan, I can tell is true and makes you want to go and listen to this album. Really good and articulate, I can feel the joy and passion of his/her listening experience. SmileHug
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 07:05
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Who? 

I see; that's legit (or a subtly crafted excuse Stern Smile)

I have, but those are all by Special Collaborators, and not the everyday folk. When I research a band or an album, I primarily look for reviews by the rank-and-file members. Power to the people! 

Ah, never mind. I'll buy the music (thanks for the lead, btw), and post my ignorant and sketchy, but honest review, for that's what I do :)
I thought you were talking about Andromeda.

Trust me, that's not an excuse, if I get it I'll review it, but I'm still buying the prog classics that I haven't got the hidden gems yet Wink

I always read the Special Collaborators first and that one has reviews from three reviewers I always check.

Glad to be of service, I'll surely read your honest review Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 09:33
^ Andromeda: I see; I thought we were referring to SOT.

Jolly good, then. I already have. To keep the number of my 5-star reviews around 10% of the overall, I went ahead and downgraded a few Wilsons/PT albums :). 

Special Collabs' reviews are often very enlightening and thought-provoking. But, instead of having a person of greater musical knowledge dissect an album for me,  I would rather do my own earwork. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 10:22
^ Normally if I don't know the band I do a quick read just to get the idea of it and not ruin my own experience and then after listening, I compare notes. Smile

I rated a lot of albums for some time with only one listen (stupid me), and I don't agree or don't remember about some. I'll have to update them all but I wish I could delete some

Edited by Meltdowner - November 29 2014 at 10:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 10:56

I'll have to update them all but I wish I could delete some 

I don't think you can delete a rating altogether, but if you delete all the review contents, it will revert to a simple rating. Or, if you like, you can cut and paste this, and watch yourself banned for VIII annis :)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do Gentle Giant eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et awesome dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor Roger Waters in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint King Crimson occaecat cupidatat non Progarchives proident, sunt in culpa qui officia total crap deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 11:54
^ LOL

I read your review, really nice one Thumbs Up
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 22:02

IQ, The Road of Bones.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234