Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (116)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [44.44%]
1 [11.11%]
2 [22.22%]
2 [22.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (116)
    Posted: November 23 2014 at 04:32
Animal collective : Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnGlY41cmE

Dirty Projectors : The Getty Address
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpc6HSfdRkM

The Fiery Furnaces : Blueberry  Boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhd4TdFgGrU

Final Fantasy : He Poos Clouds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuzmxuGIjw0

4 Prog albums (or related prog) by 4 modern Pop bands.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 04:37

Anyone ever stumble across Struwwelpeter, the 19th century German children's book by Heinrich Hoffmann? Mark Twain himself translated it to English, although I doubt it made it to the bedside of too many American kids. This illustrated book is comprised of short lyrics describing the horrific things that happen to naughty children: Cruel Frederick is attacked by his own maltreated dog; Pauline plays with matches and burns to death while her cats watch; Conrad the thumbsucker winds up with his thumbs cut off by the red-legged scissor-man. I don't need to go on. There's something so downright un-American about the whole grisly affair, something alien about the gleeful proximity of children to violence and mutilation. Fortunately, I was a college German student when I encountered Struwwelpeter, and it freaked me out even then. Yet Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished, the incredible but bizarre release by Avey Tare and Panda Bear brings the fates of those luckless kraut kinder back to mind.

The marriage of psychedelia and fairy-tale imagery goes back at least to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"; Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the Dead's Aoxomoxoa: the first flowering of psychedelia was joyously regressive, celebrating juvenilia as the antidote to modern rationality. Yet what was indelibly excised was menace-- what the gnomes and newspaper taxis conceal. Remember the boat ride through the tunnel in the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? In the middle of this sucrose wonderland, there's something f**king awful.

Don't choke on the references. Forget them. Avey Tare and Panda Bear's Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished is a masterful piece of electro-acoustic fairy-tale music; yet its squealing electronics, and vitrified rhythms suggest something darker. Like a Snickers bar with a razorblade in it.

Spirit They're Gone is Avey Tare's album; he sings, and plays guitars, pianos, and electronics. Panda Bear, meanwhile, mans the crumpled percussion. The album opens with the high-frequency squall and delicate vocals of "Spirit They've Vanished," offering little clue about future directions. However, the second track, "April and the Phantom" is crystallizing: expert acoustic guitars, fierce drumming and Daltrey-esque screams resemble the Who resurrected as the seventh member of the Elephant 6. Tinkling toy pianos, organs and exclamations of digital noise round out the track, while Tare perilously insists, "She ran out of nature," again and again.

The wistful "Penny Dreadfuls" lays simple piano over needled electronics reminiscent of Pita or Christian Fennesz in a kind of lysergic dirge on the end of childhood. "Chocolate Girl" is dubbed-out calliope music, swirling and swirling: a strange meditation seemingly on sexual awakening, awkward but erotic in the midst of an enchanted forest of an album. The interstellar Nintendo drone of "Everyone Whistling" is irresistible space-pop, backed by some incredibly nimble jazz drumming. The twelve-minute "Alvin Row" is an epic closer, emerging from free-noise clatter, insect electronics and demented piano into sunny Beatlesque psych-pop. "Can you hear me, troubadour?" Tare asks before the eruption of furious ivories. Schlock horror organs abound and the cymbals crash like storms. The album collapses into the crackly sample of a child (Alfalfa from the Little Rascals?) saying, "My singing voice is gone... My singing voice is gone... My singing voice is gone..."

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished is not only outstanding, but one of the most original sounding albums out there. This record, as I've said, marries the pleasant and the violent and is not for timid ears: the sparkling pop never strays far from the lacerating noise. The lyrics are largely indecipherable but occasional gems and wonderful turns of phrase emerge from the bright din. Two mysterious fellow travelers (one-half of the four-man Animal collective) seem to have stumbled upon each other and created something truly beautiful. The only question is: which one of them is the walrus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oM8W4sf50

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 05:19
Voted for Animal Collective, it's the only song from those I could listen to the end. I was expecting a song from a Final Fantasy game but I was disappointed Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 05:40
Strange poll, I must admit. Embarrassed But not so surprising. The modern progressive rock has never really satisfied me. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 05:47
Good to know, I thought it was just me Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 05:52
Don't get me wrong, I like these 4 bands, much more than Steve Wilson and stuff like that. Brian is my hero. Big smile
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 08:02
I know all these except Final Fantasy. I voted for Fiery Furnaces.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 08:55
Final Fantasy is Owen Pallett, Darryl, one of your fellow countrymen. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 10:54

To Dirty Projectors mastermind Dave Longstreth, execution is as important as the music itself. Longstreth started The Getty Address years ago as a Yale student, eventually abandoning the project, dropping out of school, and releasing two other LPs. He's now revisited the work with a new approach, and though one could listen to the album and skim the lyrics without noticing the subtext, The Getty Address is a modern opera about post-9/11 America, the destruction of our natural wilderness, the confrontation between Hernan Cortes and the Aztecs in the early 16th century, and a protagonist named after Don Henley.

Mind you, The Getty Address is compelling without the back story. Where Dirty Projectors' previous albums featured drifting song structures, Getty Address tosses verse-chorus-verse out the window and relies on stuttering, repeated musical themes. Longstreth indulges the classical influences he first explored on last year's Slaves' Graves and Ballads, but the instrumentation (strings, woodwinds, a female choir) is sampled musique concrete-style and infused with electronic R&B; beats. This isn't just opera with a little thump for flavor, though-- Longstreth comes at modern R&B; just as he does folk and classical, with a deep appreciation and an outsider's flair.

It's a disjointed listen, but that's not a criticism; Longstreth has never made pop records, and this is no exception. When things click, Getty Address features a series of stunning moments: The staccato guitar and cascading beats in "I Will Truck", the impressionistic flutes on "Gilt Gold Scabs", the female vocal solo on the swinging "Tour Along the Potomac", the pleading yet ecstatic falsetto on "Jolly Jolly Jolly Ego". Longsreth's excellent voice is the most accessible point of these compositions, although on this LP he's left out the tape hiss, chirping crickets, and subway-tunnel caterwauling about Orange Crush. Crisp production suits his vocals, and his performances here are more controlled (and with a wider range) than his past work.

Learning the conceit of The Getty Address didn't change my opinion of the album either way. It's a challenging concept, but Longstreth's thorough deconstruction of classical elements gives the colonization theme some precedence. And at the end of the day, it's the music that makes this Dirty Projectors' most ambitious and successful project to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGNwsMjNgiY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGy7fw9PvOU

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:50
Around this time last year, Owen Pallett-- a touring sideman and string arranger for the Arcade Fire and Hidden Cameras-- released Has a Good Home, his first record as Final Fantasy. For an album assembled in approximately six days, it contained a surprising amount of good material: elegant, sophisticated, and generally winsome pop songs constructed from violin and loop pedals. A year later, Squaresoft has yet to send a cease-and-desist order, and Pallett's emerged with something far grander than his modest debut.

He Poos Clouds. The title is meant as a compliment (cf. sh*t that don't stink), and maybe also as a way of cutting through the seriousness of the thing itself-- 10 compositions for a chamber ensemble including strings, piano, harpsichord, percussion, and voice. Work through Pallett's lyrics and there's the more serious possibility that this album is about suicide. These songs are populated by characters both fantastical and hopeless: frigid young professionals, an impotent real-estate broker, Lazarus, a Japan-obsessed suicidal, "the Pooka," a lost teenage daughter, and Jenna, who "dreams of being physically able/ To behead herself at the dining room table." They talk to themselves (and occasionally one another) in arch, pithy exclamations, which Pallett, in print, riddles with explanation points. What's dating? "Tell lies, tell dirty lies, tell diggory lies/ Until you're lying in his bed!"

There are grand gestures in the music, too, starting with the unbearably tense sequence of rising notes that closes the first song, irritating you to the point of emotional sensitivity. Some are full of good feeling, like the opening of "Song Song Song"-- a clatter of vigorous stick-on-wood percussion that only gradually steps its way up into pizzicato harmonies. Others are packed with something more anguished, like when the broker in "This Lamb Sells Condos" bickers with his spouse: Pallett does spiteful crosstalk ("I feed you every morning and ask so little") under what sounds like a children's choir urgently singing designer labels ("Hedi Slimane and Agnes B/ I'm not content"). Still more urgency in "Many Lives -> 49 MP", as Pallett sings around an insistent violin lead and others shout violently from the back of the room.

Pallett's combination of pop idiom and classical practice is fluid and natural; he sounds perfectly at home here, miles from the self-conscious "conceptual" way indie acts usually take up string quartets. But this may or may not be an album for classicists. Pallett's arrangements are terrific in their rhythmic tangles of strings, pushing and weaving in odd spots, but they're also-- intentionally or unintentionally-- the tiniest bit monochrome, heavy in staccato undertows and the same arch feeling as the album's title. (Arch in tone and arched in eyebrows, especially when the pizzicato comes out.) Pallett's voice can also lag behind his writing, and its recording here is naggingly lacking in crispness; right when you want a strong voice swelling over the strings, it can go muddied and dull and get dragged underneath. But where Has a Good Home was promising, He Poos Clouds seems like the real thing: No matter the title, there's an ambition here, and a dedication to Pallett's own mission, that's a joy to hear. This is, in a word, fierce-- it can engage you on a level most albums can't, and digging through the lyrics seems to reveal...well, something. Which isn't as common a situation as we might hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2diwT2H3go

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 21:30
Animal Collective, sounds like my house.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 01:04
Really Smile ?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 05:18

The Fiery Furnaces' debut, Gallowsbird’s Bark, pegged them as a whimsical but rootsy New York band, one compared numbingly often to The White Stripes. Most of the clean garage revival was as predictable as a Guy Lombardo tribute, but the Furnaces stood apart, both for their The Band-meets-Syd Barrett nuggets and their lyrics, which read like a ransom note made from ripped-up atlases. Frontwoman Eleanor Friedberger sang "I went to" as often as James Brown goes "unh," and her brother Matt coupled raucous guitar leads with a piano that rollicked like a fall down the stairs.

Yet nothing on Gallowsbird's Bark hints at the ambition of The Fiery Furnaces' second album, the 76-minute Blueberry Boat. The 10-minute opener, "Quay Cur", sets the stage: After a two-minute overture with loud, blatting organs that pump like they're driven by bellows, Eleanor is introduced in the character of a child who lost her protective locket, "and now I'll never never, never feel like I'm safe again," she says. The adventure starts: They cut to the next section, where the guitars come in on a deluge of nautical imagery-- and then the frenzy gives way to an acoustic interlude that finds Eleanor singing gently in... Inuit?

The Furnaces pull off other mini-operas on "Blueberry Boat"-- on which Eleanor faces off against a gang of pirates-- and "Chris Michaels", whose different parts run together so quickly that its story is almost mashed to gibberish. Matt Friedberger, who-- unlike on the band's first album-- wrote all of the material, emerges as a pop auteur. Matt has acknowledged the influence of The Who's rock suites, "A Quick One, While He's Away" and "Rael", but instead of taking a single theme and expanding it into one lengthy song, Matt is more likely to concatenate half-dozen seemingly separate ideas in a way that makes every piece-- even a straightforward track such as "Straight Street"-- feel epic.

So much stuff is jammed into Blueberry Boat that you'd think Freidberger put some of it in for kicks. The Noah's Ark of retro guitars and garish prog keyboards initially seems random, and on the evidence of the Furnaces' live shows, these versions aren't even definitive: Their sets rework, split and remake their repertoire into one breathless block of music, one on which a song might show up for only one verse or come back three or four times. But this isn't arbitrary: Matt and Eleanor are just reworking and sequencing the songs for different contexts. The process resembles the way a DJ sets up a mix, and-- like in a club setting-- the final product should be judged not simply on which pieces they use, but on how well those segments work as a whole and how the band controls the energy in the room.

Blueberry Boat's 13 tracks form a perfect flow, sticking short tunes between the mini-operas, building up through "Chris Michaels" to the brief respite of the "Paw Paw Tree" before exploding into "I Lost My Dog", the album's dizziest travelogue. As scrambled as Matt's palette may sound, a close listen reveals how perfectly he evokes each song's content: The sighing tones near the start of "Blueberry Boat" sound like waves lapping the bow of their vessel, "Mason City"'s beat chugs softly, like a train gliding into a station, and on "I Lost My Dog" Matt captures the frenzy of running all over town by switching instrumentation with every verse.

The lyrics keep pace, repeating the encyclopedic references and buckshot wordplay of the last album, but extending the narratives. Matt pulls us in and out of the fantasy-- as on "Spaniolated", where Eleanor starts as a grown-up slacker, only to find herself abducted before regressing back into childhood and given pills "to keep from growing taller."Gallowsbird's Bark told similarly meticulous stories about Eleanor's real-life wanderings through London or New Jersey, but this time the songs grow into elaborate fictions, and the stakes are higher, with battles and abductions belying the cheerful arrangements.

The Furnaces sound tighter here than on their debut, but they still retain a sense of carelessness and spontaneity-- listen to the rambunctious piano interlude on "Blueberry Boat" or the distracted spit off his guitar solos. Matt sings more on this record, with a delivery similar to Peter Gabriel in his Genesis days, and Eleanor's melodic, speak-singy vocals show a wider range and more force. Eleanor pushes her crystal-clear enunciation with a more aggressive delivery, especially when she slips into character, such as when she stands up to a mob of pirates and swears, "You ain't never getting the cargo of my blueberry boat."

John Darnielle's Last Plane to Jakarta devastatingly parodied The Strokes approach to their second album, joking that they would use their money and clout to make a two-album monster with eight-minute jams, tuba solos and a Gregg Allman guest spot. Whether that sounds like a dream or a nightmare, the joke was on us: The Strokes' second album sounded mostly like their first. But The Fiery Furnaces have made the kind of rock behemoth Darnielle described, a record for the overgrown part of our brain that craves engrossing complexity. The exuberant overload of Blueberry Boat will thrill and transport you with the ineluctable force of a great children's story, one whose execution matches its imagination. And like all the best children's stories, it takes off once the kids break the rules-- when they're dragged away from safety but have enough curiosity and faith in themselves to enjoy the adventure. We're just lucky to trail behind and pick up their breadcrumbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOF67PMvjw

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 05:26
F F for me. Heart
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 20:01
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Really Smile ?

I mean I have several animals in here. No ducks though.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 20:04
Oh I Smile see 

Post Reply Post Reply