Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBonus Tracks: Buried Treasures or Trash?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonus Tracks: Buried Treasures or Trash?
    Posted: November 24 2014 at 10:22
Anyone still purchasing physical product like CDs and LPs will be quite familiar with the myriad of bonus tracks that are outtakes, alternate versions, demos and remixes. I have found some of it to be enlightening on pre digital age reissued LP's as there was not enough room to fit some excellent tracks on the records due to running time constraints. The others I have found to be gimmicky and of no particular use, except to show an artist having a bad idea for an arrangement or just having an off day at the studio.
What's your opinion on Bonus Tracks? 

Edited by SteveG - November 24 2014 at 15:16
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 11:15
I like the idea of them, I just find myself preferring them as part of rarities sets or on a bonus disc rather than tacked on the end of a CD reissue. Unless it's the rare case of a remix of an old album being a recut, I'd rather just have the original album on its own.

One interesting example is the version of Dinosaur Jr's Green Mind that appears on Youtube. I don't know if it was a stroke of crazed genius on the part of the people behind the 2006 reissue, or just something the uploader did that's awesome, but there are three bonus tracks on the '06 reissue, and on that video they are placed before the original album proper. It's an amazing effect. The first of the tracks is an excellent opener, and the third and final of them fades out perfectly to then welcome the original opening sequence.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 11:41
I quite like them. If the group is interesting enough to me, they are a fascinating window into the band that I am usually very greatful to have. Especially totally unreleased tracks and rare singles are a delight!
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 11:44
Depends who is doing them.

Bands like Tull or Caravan have done some decent ones. But more is certainly not better.

The efforts from Yes, probably my fav band, can be frankly dire. The numerous ones on Tormato (Rhino) make a disappointing album even poorer.
And Going for the One should always end on Awaken - which is a fantastic high to end the album - not rehearsal tracks/ early versions/studio run throughout (IMHO)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:40
I think I have to agree with that last comment. On TFTO you now have the first three pieces on one disc and Ritual + Bonus tracks on Disc Two which just isn't right at all.

However I quite like some bonus tracks in the right place. For instance the NME sampler disc inc the tracks Brain Salad Surgery and When The Apple Blossom Blooms are bonus tracks on one of the Brain Salad Surgery reissues. That makes sense.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:54
I hate "alternate versions", they're usually a waste of space.  However, sometimes bonus tracks will include either non-album singles or unreleased songs, and those are great.  Some of those early Kinks albums would be total mediocrities without them bonus tracks.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:59
haven't heard many that I really dug-
they're interesting - but not fun.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:45
Some can be great... mainly referring to B-sides. In terms of stuff that was just flat out unreleased, Marillion had some interesting ones during the Fish era remasters.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 17:50
I can take them or leave them. I mean, think about it. There's usually good reason why they're bonus tracks in the first place. Most border on awful or being light-weight. One band that comes to mind is ELO. Outside of that medley they did with tracks from Eldorado, their bonus stuff is usually flat and uninteresting.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 18:14
The Tull remasters, which added tracks originally unveiled on the 20 Years boxset, are good examples. The eight bonus songs from the Broadsword sessions are good ones. "Part Of The Machine" makes Crest Of A Knave, already an underrated album, a slightly better one. Songs From The Wood is already perfect, but it's great to have more of it ("Beltane") and I don't mind a live version of my favorite song on that album ("Velvet Green") one bit.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 18:39
I'm an album guy so I like the reissues to be just the album as it was released.  I play the bonus stuff once if it looks interesting, but after that I eject the CD as soon as the regular album is over.  I think most of it is pretty tedious.

Some notable exceptions would be early Kate Bush demos which I love, the stuff that Gilmour heard her play and the outtakes from the first two albums.  There is a pretty sweet Heart version of Stairway that was added to Little Queen.  And on Rumours, they corrected the bonehead decision Lindsey and Mick made to pull Silver Springs off in favor of "I don't want to Know".  Stevie was horrified.  So Silver Springs is back on Rumours where it was supposed to be. 

Here is one of those early Kate songs that I love....don't be too hard on her, she was only 14.  Also includes a lovely photo montage of Kate as a child. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 19:23
^Wow, Finn. That's a great track for a 14 year old. Thanks for sharing.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 20:23
I agree with the others. It's very hit or miss.

I don't care for the majority of Yes' bonus tracks, though that's the only way I was able to acquire the single "America" easily. But the studio run-throughs don't do much for me. Just more Yessongs on my computer.

I really enjoy Dream Theater and Transatlantic including cover songs as bonus tracks, as well as instrumental versions of DT's songs. I'm sure some people don't care for such things, but I'm happy to have them.

King Crimson is hit-or-miss. On the Steven Wilson remasters, I like having the original versions of a couple of the songs, but I'd prefer they were included in the original format of the album. The live tracks on SaBB are great. The alternate versions of Sleepless on ToaPP are good. But some of the other alternate versions, not so much. Speaking of Steven Wilson, I prefer the bonus disc of The Sky Moves Sideways over the main album. Combing the epic into one track and adding Moonloop. I love it.

As someone else said, Jethro Tull has some great stuff. Live version of Thick as a Brick, the extras on Songs from the Wood are prime examples.

So yeah, some are good, some aren't necessary in my eyes. In the end, I won't complain about free music though.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 08:29
Generally they're ok for a listen out of historical interest but I rarely play them more than that. The stuff on the latest Led Zep remasters is a case in point - Ramble On with no guitar solos? Moby Dick with no drum solo? 
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 08:38
they are interesting in the way that deleted scenes from a movie are interesting.
you get to see the choices for the edits and as a rule they are spot on.

as a kid I thought bands wrote 10 songs and threw them on an album... as I got older I realized that the composition and order of songs on an album are very important.
Some bonus tracks I've heard are jarring compared to the flow of the original album and clearly they didn't belong there.

Occasionally you hear something cool (some are released as singles) but for the most part they are just not up to snuff and the option to leave them off of the album was the right one.

So again - I appreciate them as a way to gain insight to what happens behind the scenes but I haven't found a lot I cared for musically.

glaring personal exception for me is Junior's Farm - PM and Wings
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 09:11
With bonus tracks added to the end of an album reissue, I always stop the CD after the original album is over. Sometimes I'll listen to the tracks on another occasion, but to me The Album is the original tracks in the original order and nothing else.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 09:29
Like others said: it depends...
Caravan is a band which has quite some good extra tracks.

Most of the times, it's a mix of interesting and not interesting.
I'm not interested in a hit single edit, but some extra material that just didn't make it on the record...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 10:00
Yep it depends!

These two are among my fave tracks from the albums they're listed on:

Kindermörderlied from the 2007 cd release of Amon Düül ll's Wolf City.

SBB's Odejscie from Ze slowem biegne... that later on turned into the album Slovenian Girls is quite simply brilliant. Far better than the subsequent album imo.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 10:13
It's always a ....bonus,  but it' s nice when they are unreleased tracks and not just demos or reworked songs that were on the albums before.

Big smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 11:10
Bonuses harm the very good albums and sometimes save the least good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>