FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmotional Attachment VS Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emotional Attachment VS Appreciation
    Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:05
I see that there are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable prog fans here who really explored the genre - to the moon and back from what I've seen.
A lot of musicians here too.

I see a lot of discussion on categorizing music by sub groups, the technical prowess, etc,
but I also saw one comment so far - that struck a personal cord with me ..

the fellow who mentioned that the power of the climax of Supper's Ready nearly bringing a tear to his eye.

I didn't do a lot of searching beyond what I loved in the 70's. I didn't know it was called prog rock then - it was just the non commercial alternative I loved

I think the album that started me down that path was Queen oddly enough ... by a friend who had a really good stereo - the first one i'd ever heard.  It was k-tel for me before that - I couldn't understand why people wanted to hear an ENTIRE album by the same band!  I'm in my 50's now and I still clearly recall feeling that way as a kid :)

From Queen it was Tangerine Dream.. he gave me his copy of Electronic Meditation - I still have it today.
It did't really resonate with me but Rubycon did - big time.

I'm not a musician and I know diddly about all those other bands out there - but I formed deep emotional bonds with a handful of prog albums, that I've never been able to form with anything else - as much as I do love a lot of other music.

I'd say Genesis - Lamb, Selling England, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot... Strawbs - Hero and Heroine, Nomadness, Burning For You, (hell, all of them)  Tangerine Dream - Rubycon, The Keep,   Van Der Graaf - World Record ...
were the most important albums in my life ....  not to be dramatic but they kept me sane at a crucial time and probably kept me alive.

So that's the long winded backstory for my question ...

who else has life ties to certain albums and what are they?

you don't just like or love these albums .. they are part of you ...

Edited by Walton Street - November 28 2014 at 13:03
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:34
The Stooges' Raw Power is one of those albums for me. Got me through a rough period of my life. Ever since I was 13 I'd been visiting this place called Ungdomshuset (Club for young and restless misfits in the heart of Copenhagen). I went there to paint, catch up with friends and weird looking people - most of them punks and various degenerates smoking ciggies and weed drinking beers at the bar while telling stories from the time when Joy Division passed by and all kinds of cool anecdotes. Mostly I went there for the music and strange gigs: punk, rap, reggae, electronic, hardcore, psychedelic - hell I even saw a Romanian folk dancing group there!
In 2006 the politicians suddenly decided to sell the house to a Christian sect and all hell broke lose. Lots of fighting in the streets, and the media instantly wrote us off as anarchistic nihilists who wanted nothing more than to perpetuate the ongoing war with the police. I never fought anything - never threw a stone or lashed out....even when I saw a girl that couldn't have been more than 10-11 get beat up by two policemen and their sticks. That image is still ingrained in my head to this day.
Raw Power was my valve - the button I pushed when I needed to vent and let all of my frustrations run free. It probably saved me from prison. I have a lot of friends who to this day still have immense difficulty getting a normal job, because of what went down back then.

BTW I moved this thread to general music discussionsSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 06:52
I thought I had started it in general :P

I'm still getting lost in the forum all the time
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 10:56
Radiohead's Kid A. I remember one time participating in a composition workshop. I was doing well enough in it, but I hated what I was writing. I had doubts about whether or not I wanted to do music and if so what I wanted to do. I went to my friend asking for something to give some faith back in music. He gave me his phone that had the entire discography of Radiohead on there. I was already a huge fan of Radiohead and Kid A, but listening to Kid A there confirmed it as my favorite album. I was very much inspired by their willingness to stray from rock conventions and just write a mix of all the music they loved, including rock. It renewed my love of listening to and writing music.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 11:22
For me it may be "Departure from the Northern Wasteland", a 1978 electronic album by Michael Hoenig. Life has its fair share of worries and stresses in the modern age, and I often yearn for the simpler times of childhood in the 70s. This album, without fail, transports me back to those days, and makes for instant comfort when I get depressed. It's just one of many records my dad played a lot in those days, but the cinematic, broad sound of this album is especially conducive to creating a mental picture. I never leave home without it.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 11:58
Jethro Tull/Thick as a Brick : Still brings a big smile on my face. If I had to keep only one record from my collection, it would be that one.

David Sylvian/Approaching Silence : Peace of mind, man.

Edited by Barbu - November 28 2014 at 12:08
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 12:48
Seems like there was a similar thread a while back, but it's a good question to ponder.

For me each decade has had certain albums that made an emotional connection that seemed to stick:

60s - The Mamas & the Papas - the Papas & the Mamas.  My babysitter was a hippy and she played this one all the time.  "For the Love of Ivy" and "Dream a Little Dream of Me" still remind me of sitting in a circle with other little kids watching soap bubbles, and learning how to make tie-dyed tshirts.

70s - Kansas - Point of Know Return.  Girls and cars and long, fast drives across the Midwest in cars with girls, and summers that seemed to last forever.

80s - Marillion - Misplaced Childhood.  This came out at that pivotal time when adulthood was still kind of scary but becoming increasingly inevitable.  The first Concrete Blonde album isn't prog but has a similar connection.

90s - Led Zeppelin IV.  It wasn't until the 90s that I discovered there was a whole lot more to this album than "Stairway to Heaven".

00s - The Decemberists - Castaways & Cutouts.  This was one of the first bands of the new century that got me really going on new folk, progressive folk and really pretty much anything with roots in folk.  Also the first album since my teenage years that I wore out and memorized all the lyrics.  Beat Circus - Boy from Black Mountain and Reverend Glasseye - Black River Falls were two others.

10s - Sara Watkins - Sun Midnight Sun is definitely not prog but this is the CD that seems to keep finding its way into the deck in my car over the last couple of years.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 13:16
I'm very attached to Terria by Devin Townsend. Its lyrics sometimes still bring tears to my eyes. They remind me of a friend of mine who attempted suicide. He was pretty much my only good friend at that time, I felt so scared he could do such a thing, and I felt completely powerless. Songs like Nobody Here or Stagnant carried me through that period.

World Record it's another important one, it helped me in taking the decision of coming out as gay to my parents, despite alredy knowing the bad outcome of it. Songs like A Place to Survive and Meurglys III played a small but important role in shaking off my fears. In a way, I will always be grateful to these artists.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 15:03

Hi,

I was lucky.

Father's collection of classical music was immense and stupendous and you pretty much heard a lot of different things over time, and eventually get attached to some of these pieces.

When we came to America we stayed in this house of folks that were very well to do, and they had a massive stereo and listening to "Blonde on Blonde" (the album du jour that year!!) was a huge experience for me. Also heard things like Al Kooper and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, and in many ways, a different mind set started.

In the late 60's FM radio started having an influence in Madison, WI, but it could not over turn the likes of the big money AM stations. In 1971, we moved to Santa Barbara, CA and FM radio had already taken hold in Southern California ... and its really big thing in thsoe early days, was ... LONG CUTS ... something that normal radio would not do, and there was no other alternative other than the educational stations (college radio), most of which did not have a signal strong enough.

The sound was HUGE. NOT THE MUSIC ITSELF, mind you! Because there were just as many things that did not sound as "great" on the big system ... I never thought Mozart's quartets sounded any better on my big system!!!!! Or Chuck Berry for that matter!

In 1972 I went for broke and got me 2 ESS-AMT1 speakers and they have been re-coned twice since them and they still kick major ASSSSSSHHHH!!!!! At that point I knew there was more to "music" than I knew ... Tangerine Dream sounded miraculous in there. The Rolling Stones didn't.

End of story ... never looked back ... the speakers still work, and had to get another turntable as my trusty Pioneer finally had it after 25 years!

The sad thing, is that the majority of folks in this board have no idea what the fidelity and quality of some of these things are ... and all they know is based on mp3 and some CD quality that you can not get on a cheapie ear phone set! Even on a Sony $300 monitor earphones, most rock bands don't sound good off a CD! But if you want to hear the difference, just come over ... bring some red wine with you!

Edited by moshkito - November 28 2014 at 15:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 15:12
Hi,

In all honesty, I do not really have any emotional attachment to anything in specific ... because so much of it is so far out ... and they are all different. They are all, what I call "my best friends" ... but I can tell you that listening to "Yeti" (the long cut) on your earphones, as opposed to my system (or others) ... you just haven't enjoyed true music and its power! Never will!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 17:17
My love affair with prog did not really start until 1985, when I was 22. I had previously been aware of it, but not really aware of it.
           Two important things occurred in the spring of 1985, I heard for the first time a full album of what I considered to be full blown progressive rock, that being Triumvirat's record Illusions On A Double Dimple. I was, and still am, blown away by the sound this group created, and thought to myself, this is the real mccoy, and there is no way I am going to miss out on progressive rock any longer!
                Another thing occurred, and that was seeing the movie Amadeus about Mozart. Me and my Dad went to the local library the next day, and borrowed some classical records, and together heard for the first time on lp, the great masters. I remember my first  Berlioz, the Roman Carnival overture conducted by Charles Munch, like it was yesterday, and being so moved I couldn't do anything but be enraptured! And also my first Bruckner, the 9th Symphony with Zubin Mehta conducting-to this day these two composers are my guiding light in music, emotionally, spiritually, you name it.
                    It was not until years later that I came to know the tragic end of who would become my favorite musician, Triumvirat's Helmut Koellen, finding out painfully that he had died on May 3rd, 1977. It was around 2007 that I first heard his posthumous and obscured solo album, and it's special introspective story  has become very important to me, another "guidng light", musically and lyrically, and I feel I somehow "know" Helmut, even though I never met him.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 17:42
I'm generally a miserable sod (true story) - my escape from the 'real world' is plonking on a vinyl and just getting lost in the music. Much of the Canterbury stuff is more than just great playing and unique sounds etc. - it takes me to where I want to go, it makes me feel how I want to feel - Grey And Pink, Space Shanty, Two Rainbows Daily, D.S. al Coda - just perfection.
Ozric Tentacles are positive and vibrant, mysterious and very special too.
To vent, any Zeuhl, crazy RIO or Hammill/VDGG is perfect. I'm sure I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for my deeply emotional attachment with music.
My latest craze is Magenta - The 27 Club. Certain passages raise a few tears. It's a Roller-Coaster ride of feelings - fast paced excitement, fun and more reflective beauty. I suggested this album to a friend of mine and he said it does nothing for him.....
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 17:42
So many.  Sometimes my life seems like it has an accompanying soundtrack.  Most are forgotten but a few continue to stand out.
The Cult - Electric and Sonic Temple.  Were popular in my late teens when I was socially insecure.  for once, my musical tastes coincided with what was popular.  these bring back memories of good times with friends in my teens.  Up until two months ago, I swear that I haven't thought of the band in twenty years but a local funky burger joint was playing tunes from the three big Cult albums the whole time we were there.  It really brought back good memories.

Queensryche - The Soundtrack for my early twenties and I considered them "My Band" (up until Promised Land, in any event).  Operation: Mindcrime was my first awareness of music that could intrigue me at such a level.  It was an angry recording, really aware of injustice at  a time in my life where I was only starting to be aware of this.  I was pretty angry too, so this matched my worldview at the moment.  Empire didn't have the same emotional impact but Promised Land appeared to hit me perfectly at a period of my life where I was much more introspective and considering what was truly important in life.  Again, perfectly in tune with what I was dealing with at the time.

Later impacts were less all-encompassing.  Smooth by Santana coincided nicely with an ambiguous relationship, especially the line "Gimme your heart, make it real or just forget about it."
More heavy prog, please!
Reed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 13:43
Way back in 1971, I went to Toronto for the first time, and in particular, a visit to Sam the Record Man. (If you're Canadian, you"ll appreciate the cultural importance.) While perusing the record bins, I came across "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp" for .99 cents. Although I was a King Crimson fan, I knew nothing about it, and left it there. That night, back at the hotel, I kept thinking that I needed to go back the next day and pick it up. When I went back, I couldn't for the life of me find it. Fortunately, after much cursing and searching, I found it.
 That record has been a favorite of mine ever since, in fact I'd consider it a desert island disc.
 Another one is "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out" by Yo La Tengo. I bought this based on a review I read while working at a job I absolutely hated. The cd had a melancholy beauty that fit my mood at the time, and after I left that job and got my smile back, I continued to love this cd, becoming a huge Yo La Tengo fan. Also a desert island disc.

Post Reply Post Reply