Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat revived prog in the 90s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 08:33
In addition to the emergence of bands like Anglagard, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, the Flower Kings, etc., I think the internet played a huge role in the resurgence of progressive music. 

As the web began to mature, it became a great resource for musical discovery that helped level the playing field for musicians outside the mainstream. Were it not for progressive music websites and internet radio, I would not know what musicians to check out.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 08:45
Originally posted by ProgSword ProgSword wrote:

Was there a landmark album that allowed everything to take off? I know some prog was happening in the 80s, but it was basically just accessible neo-prog.

Prog/Progressive never died ... so what was there to revive?

People just got bored looking at 3 bands and the world came to an end!

That's what happens when your ears are not tuned to other countries and other folks that were also doing prog and never died!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 17:59
I think you are all correct but i think the largest reason for prog revival is the internet. Exposure to specialty markets became a lot easier in the 90s
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 18:25
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

In addition to the emergence of bands like Anglagard, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, the Flower Kings, etc., I think the internet played a huge role in the resurgence of progressive music. 

As the web began to mature, it became a great resource for musical discovery that helped level the playing field for musicians outside the mainstream. Were it not for progressive music websites and internet radio, I would not know what musicians to check out.

This.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 18:35
As an art form, prog was born on the heels of a late 60s synergy involving technology (them again!), societal awareness and music students veering ardently towards the mainstream. The 70s was prog's heyday but the 80s ushered in the synth wave. That flamed out and by the early 90s there was a huge void (what next?). In my view, the cards got reshuffled and waving goodbye to a business career in music , prog became a pure art form again, but below the radar. This anti-commercial extreme has been gaining more and more adherents as each year goes by, which is kind of ironic. It perhaps laid dormant for a while but it never vanished. We now bear the wondrous fruit.   

Edited by tszirmay - November 28 2014 at 18:37
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 18:37
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Images and Words probs had a major impact.
Second that.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 18:44
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Images and Words probs had a major impact.
This.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 20:41
My opinion is the Prog-only festivals got started in the 1990s, as well as the Internet
linking Prog fans together around the world..  There may have been some
incentive for older bands to get their act together again, as they didn't
need to play in obscurity.  The DIY was firmly in effect and it just took
ten years for the older proggers to think it was kosher to work like that. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 21:30
Echolyn
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 22:03
Anglagard, Dream Theater, Ozric Tentacles

On the Avant side - U Totem & 5UU's.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 22:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

ANGLAGARD.............

If I had to name one band that would be it, or "Hybris" if i'm answering the opening post but like others have mentioned I think it's quite a few bands and maybe even the Progfests in LA in 1994 and 1995 which not coincidently included Scandanavian bands like Anglagard, Anekdoten and Landberk but also Spock's Beard and many others. It was maybe the "sounds" of the golden age of prog that many of these bands had, that revived what seemed to disappear. Yes there was Neo and a lot of Avant stuff in the eighties but the early nineties seemed to bring back that Symphonic sound. I like the mention of Gothic Impressions as well because that seemed to trigger the Scandanavian bands and maybe without it THEY wouldn't have happened. Who knows? Just some rambling thoughts.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 01:27
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

ANGLAGARD.............

If I had to name one band that would be it, or "Hybris" if i'm answering the opening post but like others have mentioned I think it's quite a few bands and maybe even the Progfests in LA in 1994 and 1995 which not coincidently included Scandanavian bands like Anglagard, Anekdoten and Landberk but also Spock's Beard and many others. It was maybe the "sounds" of the golden age of prog that many of these bands had, that revived what seemed to disappear. Yes there was Neo and a lot of Avant stuff in the eighties but the early nineties seemed to bring back that Symphonic sound. I like the mention of Gothic Impressions as well because that seemed to trigger the Scandanavian bands and maybe without it THEY wouldn't have happened. Who knows? Just some rambling thoughts.

Gothic Impressions was a massive project (hence Par Lindh Project) involving a lot of musicians not just a few. The wonderful CD booklet has pictures and information to back this up. A very good site on the net gives a good write up on Par Lindh and below that is a list of the musicians on the album

Pär Lindh Project biography
After the Symphonic debacle of the late 70's and a bit more than a decade of a different approach to Progressive Rock called Neo Prog, Symphonic movement started to resurrect but this time not in UK or in the most faithful country to the classical sound as Italy, it was in Scandinavia and more specifically in the cold Sweden.

Bands like ANGLAGARD and THE FLOWER KINGS re-created the original spirit of the early 70's with great perfection and extreme care but people rarely mention PÄR LINDH PROJECT, not only one of the main re-creators of the early style but a band that went back in history for the search of their roots, most precisely to the late Gothic Religious music of the XII and XIV Centuries with his dark haunting organ solos without forgetting the sober influence of the Baroque period.

But that's not enough, the natural leader of the band is also one of the main responsible of this new Symphonic Renaissance, being that in 1991, before the re-birth of Symphonic Prog sub-genre, a group of friends formed The Art Rock Society with the virtuoso multi instrumentalist Pär Lindh as chairman who presented the first Festival with ANEKDOTEN, LANDBERK and ANGLAGARD.

The personal musical career of Par Lindh goes way back to 1977 when he formed the Heavy/Hard Rock band ANTENNA BAROQUE and later in 1979 the Symphonic Trio VINCEBUS EREPTUM, but it was obvious that the peak of the genre was behind so he spent the next years as church organist, classical pianist, harpsichordist, drummer, Hammond organist, and even jazz musician with extreme success but leaving oin Par a great nostalgia for his beloved Prog.

In 1989 he returns to Sweden decided to resurrect the Symphonic early spirit and joins a band called MANTICORE, after a while he builds his own studio CRIMSONIAN LABEL and in 1994 with a Swedish dream team of ANGLAGARD, FLOWER KINGS, BJORN JOHANSON and other talented musicians, he releases the first PÄR LINDH PROJECT masterpiece called "Gothic Impressions" in 1994.

This album is really revolutionary not only for the impressive lineup but also because the music was deepest, darker and even more pompous than in the early years of Prog, not only a return to the roots but a total re-creation of the genre, the 20 minutes epic "The Cathedral" is one of the most amazing musical pieces I ever had the luck to listen and still find something new each time I give a new listen.

PÄR LINDH PROJECT has released 5 albums until 2002 with "Live in Iceland" and different members being the most usual Magdalena Hagberg (Vocals, Keyboards and Violin) who is present in every one, Jocke Ramsell and John Hermansen (Guitar), Jonas Reingold in the bass and many other talented musicians.

The bands new lineup since 2006 consists of Par Lindh (Keyboards), William Kopecky (Bass), Svetlan Raket (Drums) and Al Lewis (Vocals). The band is currently in the studio and the new CD will be released in March 2010.

These kind of musicians, who despite the passing of time have remained faithful to their roots and are willing to give everything in order to save Progressive Rock from extinction.

Iván Melgar Morey - Perú

Updated by Ian Cownie

- Pär Lindh / keyboards, bass, drums, percussion 
WITH: 
- Ralf Glasz / vocals 
- Mathias Jonsson / vocals 
- Johan Högberg / bass 
- Björn Johansson / classical guitar, bassoon, Tinwhistle 
- Magdalena Hagberg / vocals 
- Anna Holmgren / flute 
- Jonas Endgegård / electric guitar 
- Mattias Olsson / drums, percussion 
- Jocke Ramsell / electric guitar 
- Lovisa Stenberg / harp 
- Roine Stolt / acoustic guitar 
- Camerata Vocalis / choir vocals
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 12:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ANGLAGARD.............

Gothic Impressions was a massive project (hence Par Lindh Project) involving a lot of musicians not just a few. The wonderful CD booklet has pictures and information to back this up. A very good site on the net gives a good write up on Par Lindh and below that is a list of the musicians on the album

After the Symphonic debacle of the late 70's and a bit more than a decade of a different approach to Progressive Rock called Neo Prog, Symphonic movement started to resurrect but this time not in UK or in the most faithful country to the classical sound as Italy, it was in Scandinavia and more specifically in the cold Sweden.

Bands like ANGLAGARD and THE FLOWER KINGS re-created the original spirit of the early 70's with great perfection and extreme care but people rarely mention PÄR LINDH PROJECT, not only one of the main re-creators of the early style but a band that went back in history for the search of their roots, most precisely to the late Gothic Religious music of the XII and XIV Centuries with his dark haunting organ solos without forgetting the sober influence of the Baroque period.

But that's not enough, the natural leader of the band is also one of the main responsible of this new Symphonic Renaissance, being that in 1991, before the re-birth of Symphonic Prog sub-genre, a group of friends formed The Art Rock Society with the virtuoso multi instrumentalist Pär Lindh as chairman who presented the first Festival with ANEKDOTEN, LANDBERK and ANGLAGARD.

The personal musical career of Par Lindh goes way back to 1977 when he formed the Heavy/Hard Rock band ANTENNA BAROQUE and later in 1979 the Symphonic Trio VINCEBUS EREPTUM, but it was obvious that the peak of the genre was behind so he spent the next years as church organist, classical pianist, harpsichordist, drummer, Hammond organist, and even jazz musician with extreme success but leaving oin Par a great nostalgia for his beloved Prog.

In 1989 he returns to Sweden decided to resurrect the Symphonic early spirit and joins a band called MANTICORE, after a while he builds his own studio CRIMSONIAN LABEL and in 1994 with a Swedish dream team of ANGLAGARD, FLOWER KINGS, BJORN JOHANSON and other talented musicians, he releases the first PÄR LINDH PROJECT masterpiece called "Gothic Impressions" in 1994.

This album is really revolutionary not only for the impressive lineup but also because the music was deepest, darker and even more pompous than in the early years of Prog, not only a return to the roots but a total re-creation of the genre, the 20 minutes epic "The Cathedral" is one of the most amazing musical pieces I ever had the luck to listen and still find something new each time I give a new listen.

PÄR LINDH PROJECT has released 5 albums until 2002 with "Live in Iceland" and different members being the most usual Magdalena Hagberg (Vocals, Keyboards and Violin) who is present in every one, Jocke Ramsell and John Hermansen (Guitar), Jonas Reingold in the bass and many other talented musicians.

The bands new lineup since 2006 consists of Par Lindh (Keyboards), William Kopecky (Bass), Svetlan Raket (Drums) and Al Lewis (Vocals). The band is currently in the studio and the new CD will be released in March 2010.

These kind of musicians, who despite the passing of time have remained faithful to their roots and are willing to give everything in order to save Progressive Rock from extinction.

Iván Melgar Morey - Perú

Updated by Ian Cownie

WITH: 
- Ralf Glasz / vocals 
- Johan Högberg / bass 
- Anna Holmgren / flute 
- Lovisa Stenberg / harp 

What an inspired biography! I'd like to congratulate Iván Melgar Morey for it, wise words to say the least. Pär Lindh Project are one of my top favourite prog bands just for 'Gothic Impressions', this fabulous masterpiece also puts emphasis on the true fact that to re-create the genre the band ought to be genuinely original too - just what stunned me the most at the very first listen to their '94 release, which enlightens me each time I listen to it again.

EDIT: I'm obviously keen to acquire the other Pär Lindh Project works, Gothic Impressions I'm sure is just the beginning of a GREAT musical experience for me.

Edited by Rick Robson - November 29 2014 at 17:21

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 13:30
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Echolyn

Let's not forget Discipline, who also released their debut album in the Nineties. Though not as prolific as Echolyn, their albums are all excellent, and they are a killer live act.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 13:55
I think the beginning of the prog revival comes in bands from the late 1980's like Thule, Cardiacs, and some of the late Rock In Opposition records. I think those inspired other bands and several years later there was a larger explosion.

But I was born in 1988 so I don't really know. I wasn't there.

But it could also be that it was about 18-22 years after many parents that listened to prog had children that had grown up. That could be it too! 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 13:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ANGLAGARD.............

Iván Melgar Morey - Perú

Updated by Ian Cownie

WITH: 
- Ralf Glasz / vocals 
- Johan Högberg / bass 
- Anna Holmgren / flute 
- Lovisa Stenberg / harp 

Thanks for that richardh as I was off in my thinking of the release date for Gothic Impressions. So it came after but Par Lindh's formation of the Art Rock Society certainly helped bands like Anglagard, Landberk and Anekdoten have a greater voice with that initial festival. Interseting stuff and just as an aside those wanting to get Gothic Impressions, you really need to get the remastered one with the thick liner notes with all kinds of pictures that richardh was talking about. On another site many were critical of the album for it's sound quality which certainly has been addressed with the re-issue.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 14:42
A 90's prog revival?

Oh, of course. Neo-Neo-Prog. Confused 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 15:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A 90's prog revival?

Oh, of course. Neo-Neo-Prog. Confused 

Not enough drugs for my taste! They would need to get more stoned!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 20:33
At least in my native Spain the widespread usage of the internet and the existence of Prog-related sites came rather late in the 90's, it certainly had a massive supporting effect when it came but it was not the trigger.

I would say that the Prog generation took a bit of a break in the 80's trying other things, The Police - like stuff, synth pop, new wave, new age... but after a while they longed for something with 'a bit more substance' again. They were already grown up people in their 30's who could afford buying music, so they formed a market niche with enough potential. The Neo-Prog pioneers of the early 80's had shown that, and labels like Musea or SI-Music saw the opportunity and started specialization supporting Prog-minded bands: Quasar, Egdon Heath, Pendragon, Landmarq, Shadowland, Flamborough Head etc. In this period quite some label sampler CD's were released, which was a rather new thing at the time and helped many bands getting exposure.

Then bigger names like DT, Anglagard, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Echolyn etc definitely launched the revival. Let's be thankful that it happened ! Tongue
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 22:55
Prog never really revived. It is a niche market and will likely never sell the millions upon millions of albums and fill vast stadiums like the legendary bands of the original progressive movement did in the 70s (Yes, Tull, ELP, Floyd, etc.).
We now have the interwebz, which gives the illusion of revival, when in actuality its the same 12 old dudes in Bristol, Amsterdam, Detroit, Buenos Aires, Budapest and Stockholm still dismayed and posting angrily that Peter Gabriel so selfishly left Genesis.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>