Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed90125 and Big Generator: YES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:14
90125 was ok. BG just pissed me off the more I heard it. I remember hear Owner the first time and thinking how cliche it was with the canned orchestra hits. I didn't give it another thought until I heard Changes. Then I was able to approach the album. At the time the thrash metal bands were beginning to emerge. To me the evolution of punk into something more complex carried more of what I wanted than any of the major prog bands. Those bands would eventually evolve into prog metal as we know it as well as some other thoughtful off shoots like Primus, Kings X, Mr. Bungle, etc. It was not until the internet came along that I had any awareness of anything more obscure than Yes, Rush, Genesis, ELP and Zappa. The 80's were progs b*****d decade.

Wow, really? I can use a word that describes an emotion equated to a slang word for eliminating bodily waste but not the one that is defined as a child born out of wedlock?  Sounds legit. 

Edited by Tapfret - December 17 2014 at 11:20
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 00:52
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

BG actually carries a fair amount of punch. I only bought it recently and I was surprised that I didn't hate it given the generally expressed opinion about it. 90125 has some sparkling moments especially Leave It and Cinema but the long tracks just plod along desperately searching for some inspiration. It never happens although I like some of the organ playing , but then I like organ on pretty much anything!

Yeah, my dad has tried for many years to convince me that Cinema is a diamond in the rough, but it just doesn't work for me.  Oh well!

You've conversed with your father on a subject of prog (although can we consider 90125 and BG prog?)! How novel. All I could ever bring up with mine were artists like Johnnie Ray and Herb Alpert (sigh).

My dad is the original progger.  I am the mini-me!  I grew up on the stuff, was singing along with it when I was a preschooler.  (In the 80s... a long time ago at this point).

Originally posted by january4mn january4mn wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

BTW does anyone know how the solo in Owner of a Lonely Heart was played? is it Rabin's guitar synthesized? or Kaye's synth sounding guitar-like? or both together? which effects could be used on a regular guitar multi-effects rig to try to approximate that sound?

It's definitely all Rabin-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMFP-aN8rPs

I hit on some wild sounds like this years ago and used to play around with them all the time to write new songs.  One of my very very few "acceptable" (to me) prog songs came out of that.  But it is definitely not done cooking yet.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 04:32
I did back then, but honestly dont listen to Yes than much anymore, so i wouldent pick one of those when i do.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234