Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Definitive Gear Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 18:44
I have an Ibanez S370 like this one:

Got it used 7 years ago. It's nothing special, but it's a very versatile guitar. I've been having some trouble to tune it lately, the strings seem to touch in the 4th fret, and I don't know what do Confused

I have a small Kustom solid state amp and I was thinking about getting a better one too, I'll see your suggestions Smile

For effects I bought a Roland GT-8 five years ago. It took me some time to learn how to work with it but now I can do any sound I want to.

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 22:57
Changing strings on my brother's hollow body reminded me why I stick with solid bodies. Yikes.

Also changed bass strings today. I've got this one (the pic is not mine but same model):

All my instruments make me look like I'm in Berklee fusion band, or that I'm into Berklee fusion bands. LOL
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 00:33
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Changing strings on my brother's hollow body reminded me why I stick with solid bodies. Yikes.

Also changed bass strings today. I've got this one (the pic is not mine but same model):

All my instruments make me look like I'm in Berklee fusion band, or that I'm into Berklee fusion bands. LOL
Do you ever play the 24th fret?  Smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Do you ever play the 24th fret?  Smile
Can't say that I do. Maybe for harmonics.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:06
Here's a project I just finished. This was my first bass, bought in 1983 for about $120.00. Lotus, made in Korea. Cheap and crappy. It weighed about 12 lbs. but it felt like 100. So I carved holes in it, filed and chiseled it, and gave it a paint job. I haven't re-weighed it yet, but it's a lot easier to carry now.

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 01:32
^ What the heck?  That's awesome!!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:08
^ Amazing work you did there!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:01
I'm a bit ashamed because I have some decent gear and it's years that I don't really play, but I plan to start playing again (I do, really! Wink).

* Aria Pro II Cardinal Series CS-350 Electric Guitar (the red one, Japan made): this was my first decent guitar (after some crappy ones I dare not to mention) and I still play it sometimes for the cleaner, more jazzy stuff. I replaced the neck pickup by a Seymour Duncan and I installed a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge and it's a pretty nice guitar.

* Carvin DC135T Electric Guitar (the blue one, US made): this is the one I play the most, it's a bit following the Ibanez metal-oriented guitars style, great for the heavier stuff and soloing. 1-piece construction, 24 frets neck, Floyd Rose tremolo bridge, humbucker in the bridge and single coils in middle and neck...

* Fender Gemini II acoustic guitar (made in Korea): this was a present and I have never been fond of its sound or playing feel, I would have never bought it myself. Perhaps one day I will be able to afford a Gibson J-200 Wink.

* Peavey Fury bass (US made): following the Fender Precision style, it's quite OK, I'm not really a bass player anyway so for my needs it's good enough. It needs new strings urgently though.

* Yamaha GW50 multi-FX pedalboard: works as single effects pedals or as a multi-FX combinations with 128 factory presets and 128 user presets, more than enough for an amateur like myself, I'm fine with it.

* Boss GT-10 multi-FX pedalboard: I bought this one recently out of a 'buying rush' and I still don't know what to say, it's extremely powerful but you need to spend a lot of time to master it (which I have not done yet). I don't think it's practical as a single effects pedalboard because it does not have independent knobs for each effect's parameters, everything needs to be programmed one by one by menus and a few buttons and a selection wheel, it seems more meant to program your own multi-fx presets and then play with those, and I'm still far from understanding all what it takes. Of course it has many great factory presets too but I'm still a bit lost with it.

* Yamaha PSR2100 Keyboard: this was also a present, I would have never bought it myself. The built-in sounds are not very exciting for rock playing, it's more the kind of keyboard for programming all the rhythms and backing tracks and then play on top the melody to entertain the old guests at an hotel lounge bar in the evening, but OK, with my Vintage Keys sound module I can use it as controller, and for more orchestral sounds such as brass, winds etc it's OK.

* E-Mu Vintage Keys sound module: I just bought this one 2nd hand and I still need to learn about it, but it has many vintage sounds, Moogs, Mellotron, ARPs, Oberheims, Rhodes, Wurly's, CP70 and so on, so it should be fun.

* Hughes & Kettner Attax Series Tour Reverb Amp: 100W, a nice guitar amp.

* Peavey Audition 30W Amp: just for home practicing, I nearly never use it having the H&K, I use it mainly for the keyboard

I have also a bass amp sitting at some friend's place for a few years, don't even remember the model, it was not from any famous brand but it was pretty good and powerful. I am also co-owner of a Roland U-20 keyboard which sits at a friend's place for years (the other co-owner).

In any case, I can't complain about gear, what I need now is starting to play again!

Edited by Gerinski - December 18 2014 at 06:10
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I have an Ibanez S370 like this one:

Got it used 7 years ago. It's nothing special, but it's a very versatile guitar. I've been having some trouble to tune it lately, the strings seem to touch in the 4th fret, and I don't know what do Confused

Fret buzz can be a pain in the ass indeed. In my experience, only a good luthier will fix it right, especially on a guitar with tremolo bridge as yours (even more if it's a 'body-through' bridge, I don't know if that's the case). I have had many tries by myself and other people who thought they would fix it, adjusting the neck thrust rod, the strings bridge height etc, only to poor results (it's easy to avoid fret buzz by lifting the strings up but that's not what you want if you want to play light and nicely). Take it to some good luthier, it will cost some money but it's gonna be worth it.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:18
^ Thanks for the advice! I'll take it to a luthier, from what I was told, there's a really good one near. I hope it doesn't cost as much as the guitar Tongue

By the way, don't give up on the GT-10, it takes patience but it's worth it. There are some official tutorials that teach you the basics in no time Smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:52

^ Thanks for the advice! I'll take it to a luthier, from what I was told, there's a really good one near. I hope it doesn't cost as much as the guitar Tongue

By the way, don't give up on the GT-10, it takes patience but it's worth it. There are some official tutorials that teach you the basics in no time Smile
Thanks! a good guitar set up by a good luthier should not cost you too much I hope. Make sure that the strings height and the tremolo-bridge springs tension are up to your taste, this will define how your guitar will feel afterwards.
This was one of my main headaches, they have to get the sweet spot between 3 different settings, the neck thrust rod, the strings height on the bridge and the tremolo springs tension, which in a floating bridge like a Floyd Rose affect the strings height. Most importantly, make sure that you start by having the string gauge you want, because different gauges put different tension and will require different settings on the neck rod, the bridge and tremolo springs, and then everything changes.  

I won't give up on my GT-10, I'm pretty sure that it's a very good device, but I need to spend time on it. It's quite different from other pedalboards I have played such as my Yamaha GW50, which is a more traditional combination of single effects pedals. The GT-10 seems to be meant to programming presets, independently of what each effect actually does.

Edited by Gerinski - December 17 2014 at 16:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:55
Most music stores will do that too if you take it there, but they tend to be less trustworthy. Still, I have my guitar and mandolin at a local music store with some set-up stuff being done.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:44
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Thanks! a good guitar set up by a good luthier should not cost you too much I hope. Make sure that the strings height and the tremolo-bridge springs tension are up to your taste, this will define how your guitar will feel afterwards.
This was one of my main headaches, they have to get the sweet spot between 3 different settings, the neck thrust rod, the strings height on the bridge and the tremolo springs tension, which in a floating bridge like a Floyd Rose affect the strings height. Most importantly, make sure that you start by having the string gauge you want, because different gauges put different tension and will require different settings on the neck rod, the bridge and tremolo springs, and then everything changes.  

I won't give up on my GT-10, I'm pretty sure that it's a very good device, but I need to spend time on it. It's quite different from other pedalboards I have played such as my Yamaha GW50, which is a more traditional combination of single effects pedals. The GT-10 seems to be meant to programming presets, independently of what each effect actually does.
I had to read that first paragraph many times to understand it. I don't understand much about the guitar parts and configurations, for now I wouldn't mind a guitar that plays in tune and that I can feel what I'm playing: the way it is now I can't play in drop D and I can barely play the tapping intro of Giant Hogweed Ouch

I wish my GT-8 had USB so I could give you my Floyd patches: I already spent some time with those and they are still not perfect.... and they will never be LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:53

Most music stores will do that too if you take it there, but they tend to be less trustworthy. Still, I have my guitar and mandolin at a local music store with some set-up stuff being done.
Most music stores here take the guitars to the luthier, so the luthier probably costs less. I would really like to get a mandolin someday, and learn to play it of course. I have a brazilian cavaquinho but it's not very fun to play Ermm
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 20:19
Thanks Infocat & Gerinski (Frank & Gerard if I may). I don't play live so nobody ever sees my instruments because they hang on a wall in my basement. I was looking for a place to share this one. I paint better than i play - so I paint guitar.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 21:32
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Thanks Infocat & Gerinski (Frank & Gerard if I may). I don't
play live so nobody ever sees my instruments because they hang on a wall
in my basement. I was looking for a place to share this one. I paint
better than i play - so I paint guitar.

Your art looks solid as hell! Do you have any paintings on canvas?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 21:56

Most music stores here take the guitars to the luthier, so the luthier probably costs less. I would really like to get a mandolin someday, and learn to play it of course. I have a brazilian cavaquinho but it's not very fun to play Ermm
I'm looking to sell mine. It will probably be on ebay once I get it back. So heads up if you're looking to buy it.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 02:30

I had to read that first paragraph many times to understand it. I don't understand much about the guitar parts and configurations, for now I wouldn't mind a guitar that plays in tune and that I can feel what I'm playing: the way it is now I can't play in drop D and I can barely play the tapping intro of Giant Hogweed Ouch

Of course by 'luthier' I didn't mean here someone who actually builds guitars, just someone who knows how to set them up, some music stores have such a guy, or otherwise they will send the guitar to someone, but by experience I know that many of the guys in stores who say they can, actually can not.

If you want to try a bit by yourself, the first thing you can do is lift a bit the string(s) which buzz and see it that solves the problem. On the bridge you must have little allen screws to adjust each string height, and you must also have adjustment for each string scale length (the length from the nut to the small piece in the bridge where each string sits). First of all make sure that the length of each string is correct so that when you play on the 12th fret it is exactly one octave up, if you have a tuner you can use it to check this (I guess the GT-8 has one?). As you probably know, the lower strings need to have a bit longer scale and the high strings a bit shorter to play in tune. Sometimes people change the strings to other gauges and forget to adjust this so then the guitar will not play in tune. This is always the first adjustment to check.

Then, if some string has fret buzz, increase its height with the small allen screws until the fret buzz disappears. If you see that in order to avoid the buzz you have to lift up the string too much (so it gets too far from the fretboard) this means that you will need to adjust the neck rod, and this I recommend not to try yourself or you can mess your guitar up, this should be done by someone who knows.

When you have a floating tremolo bridge (as I believe you do by the pic you posted) things can get more complicated but hopefully these simple steps can solve your problem. 

Good luck!

Edited by Gerinski - December 18 2014 at 05:50
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 03:06
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Thanks Infocat & Gerinski (Frank & Gerard if I may). I don't play live so nobody ever sees my instruments because they hang on a wall in my basement. I was looking for a place to share this one. I paint better than i play - so I paint guitar.
It's an amazing job you did there, both the lightening and the painting, congrats!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 05:44

BTW if you play in drop D think also about the strings gauge. A normal 6th string, say for example a 0.48 is designed to play an E at its normal tension, when you downtune it to D the string is looser so it will buzz at the frets more easily, especially in a light-play guitar like yours. A thicker string needs more tension to achieve the same pitch, so in this example trying with a 0.52 could help avoiding the fret buzz when tuned at the same D pitch because the string will be tighter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>