Topic ClosedThe playlist of 'your year'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The playlist of 'your year'
    Posted: December 05 2014 at 07:55
What is the playlist you would create of your year of birth? I thought we had a topic like that once, but I can't find it. Anyway, I made such a playlist for Perfects.NL last year - included below. What's yours?

Note are in Dutch, up to you if you want to let Google translate them for you Tongue

Liner notes:

In 1973 kwam ik op dees’ aardkloot, op 25 maart – exact 40 jaar voor de geboorte van perfects.nl. Om die band te vieren 13 perfecte rocknummers uit 1973 – luide, maar melodieuze gitaren, goede zangers, fijn bas- en drumwerk en hier en daar een op hol gesl*g.n piano.

Keep Yourself Alive – Queen.

Dit nummer moet in een Perfect van 1973 staan, als eerste single en eerste track op het debuutalbum van deze legendarische band.

Wishing Well – Free

Free was in 1973 bezig aan hun laatste dagen. Dit nummer van hun laatste studioalbum laat horen waar Free voor stond, en dat ze muzikaal nog lang niet uitgeboerd waren.

Smoke on the Water – Deep Purple

De grootste hitsingle van deze band. Strikt genomen geen echt 1973 nummer (het is al in 1971 opgenomen en uitgebracht op het album Machine Head in 1972), maar pas in juli 1973 als single uitgebracht.

Dream On – Aerosmith

Ook voor Aerosmith was 1973 het jaar van debuutalbum en eerste singles. Dit nummer was hun eerste grote hit.

Halo of Flies – Alice Cooper

Net als Smoke on the Water al opgenomen in 1971, kwam dit nummer als single uit in 1973 en deed het vooral in Nederland erg goed. Als bassist een van mijn favoriete rocknummers aller tijden.

Stealin’ – Uriah Heep

Niet de grootste klapper die deze band ooit maakte, wel goud in Nieuw-Zeeland. In deze Perfect vanwege de geweldige zang van David Byron.

The Rocker – Thin Lizzy

Niet de grootste klapper van Thin Lizzy, wel van hun album Vagabonds of the Western World. Niemand gelooft me als ik zeg dat dit nummer is ingespeeld door een trio.

Sylvia – Focus

Niet zo populair als Hocus Pocus, maar wel mijn favoriete nummer van Focus. Heerlijk gitaarwerk, zoals gewoonlijk en een schitterend op elkaar ingespeelde band.

Rocky Mountain Way – Joe Walsh

Niks Hotel California of Desperado, gewoon eerlijke stevige bluesrock van de latere Eagles gitarist.

La Grange – ZZ Top

Hawhawhawhaw – dat herkent iedereen die van rock houdt. Enige single uit 1973 van een band die in deze Perfect niet mag ontbreken.

Radar Love – Golden Earring

Grijsgedraaid en voor velen daarom afgeschreven, maar feit is dat dit nummer de Haagse Golden Earring op de wereldkaart zette – in mijn geboortejaar.

Gimme Three Steps – Lynyrd Skynyrd

De enige single van het debuutalbum Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd. Geen grote hit, wel eerlijke Southern rock met een knipoog en prachtig toetsenwerk.

Taking Care of Business.

Bachman Turner Overdrive. Een lekker gitaarrock nummer, met een titel die weergeeft wat ik het liefste doe – aanpakken!

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:24
Cool idea!

Welcome to 1969, in the Chinese year of the Cock.
These are more or less in chronological order of release, to give it a sense of history.

1. "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin from Led Zeppelin's debut album

2. "Rope Ladder to the Moon" by Jack Bruce, from Songs for a Tailor

3. "In the Wilderness" by Genesis, from From Genesis to Revelation

4. "Train to Nowhere" by Savoy Brown, from Blue Matter

5. "Take a Look Around" by the James Gang, from Yer Album

6. "Candy Says" by the Velvet Underground, from Velvet Underground

7. "Nine Types of Industrial Pollution" by the Mothers of Invention, from Uncle Meat

8. "Beginnings", by Chicago Transit Authority, from their s/t debut album

9. "Overture / It's a Boy" by the Who, from Tommy

10. "The Soft Parade" by the Doors, from The Soft Parade

11. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by the Stooges, from their s/t debut album

12. "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac, from Then Play On

13. "Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End" by The Beatles, from Abbey Road

14. "Undun" by the Guess Who, from Canned Wheat

15. "Three Hours" by Nick Drake, from Five Leaves Left

16. "Victoria" by the Kinks, from Arthur

17. "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson, from ITCHYCOCK

18. "Dark Eyed Woman" by Spirit, from Clear

19. "Song of a Devil's Servant" by Golden Earring, from Eight Miles High

20. "Girl on a Swing" by Kevin Ayers, from Joy of a Toy

21. "Your Saving Grace" by Steve Miller Band, from Your Saving Grace

22. "Signed D.C. (electric version)" by Love, from Out Here

Edited by HolyMoly - December 05 2014 at 08:26
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:27
By the way, EXCELLENT list of classics, Angelo. Thumbs Up

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:28
Now that the Google translator will do the job, I for once grab the opportunity to withhold my own translations Evil Smile. Being not too familiar with the music from the year of my birth, this list is quite short. I cannot keep up with the level of the lists above (and probably below).

Take Five - Dave Brubeck

Ongeveer vijftien jaar voordat de term 'progressieve rock' gelanceerd werd, was dit een van de nummers die er een enigszins bij in de buurt kwam.

So What - Miles Davis

Het Jazz Rock/Fusion subgenre stond in 1959 al in bloei. 'Kind of Blue' is een klassieker.

Milord - Edith Piaf

Het woord 'Zeuhl' was eind jaren vijftig ook nog niet uitgevonden. Toch had pre-Magma Frankrijk ook in deze jaren nog iets memorabels te bieden op muziekgebied.

Edited by someone_else - December 05 2014 at 08:30
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:32
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

By the way, EXCELLENT list of classics, Angelo. Thumbs Up

Thanks. When creating this list last year I found out that 1973 was a good year for music, as well as wine. Two of my hobbies in one, that was great to know.

Your list isn't bad either, but I have to admit I have to catch up my knowledge of 1969. A nice, and anticipated side effect of this topic, actually.Thumbs Up
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:33
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Now that the Google translator will do the job, I for once grab the opportunity to withhold my own translations Evil Smile. Being not too familiar with the music from the year of my birth, this list is quite short. I cannot keep up with the level of the lists above (and probably below).

Take Five - Dave Brubeck

Ongeveer vijftien jaar voordat de term 'progressieve rock' gelanceerd werd, was dit een van de nummers die er een enigszins bij in de buurt kwam.

So What - Miles Davis

Het Jazz Rock/Fusion subgenre stond in 1959 al in bloei. 'Kind of Blue' is een klassieker.

Milord - Edith Piaf

Het woord 'Zeuhl' was eind jaren vijftig ook nog niet uitgevonden. Toch had pre-Magma Frankrijk ook in deze jaren nog iets memorabels te bieden op muziekgebied.

Not much, but three great ones. I expect, at least, cause I have to check out Milord. I think I know that one, but I'm not sure. Thumbs Up
ISKC Rock Radio
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:43

Michael Jackson - Wanna be Startin' Something
Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy Name
Dead Kennedys - Government Flu
Mission of Burma - That's how I escaped my certain Faith
The Gun Club - Carry Home
Dire Straits - Private Investigations
Univers Zero - Combat
Rush - Losing it
Duran Duran - Save a Prayer
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cascade
Bauhaus - Exquisite Corpse
Art Zoyd - La Nuit
Jean Paul Prat - Masal
The Cure - One Hundred Years
The Dream Syndicate - Tell me when it's over

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:47
Aw David..... Dead Kennedys and Mission of Burma!  Two amazing punk tracks.  And Private Investigations is easily one of my top Dire Straits songs.  And I probably never told you this before, but I was in a band in high school and we covered "Save a Prayer" by Duran Duran.  Wish I had a recording, though our rendition was not worthy of such a pretty song as that.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 05 2014 at 08:47

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:03

Aw David..... Dead Kennedys and Mission of Burma!  Two amazing punk tracks.  And Private Investigations is easily one of my top Dire Straits songs.  And I probably never told you this before, but I was in a band in high school and we covered "Save a Prayer" by Duran Duran.  Wish I had a recording, though our rendition was not worthy of such a pretty song as that.

One to start the album the other to finish itBig smile Love both of them, and while I have almost everything Dead Kennedys, I still only own that one Mission of Burma album. Might be worth exploring a tad further methinks. I remember you posting an orangy looking cover art in here a good while back, but it was MoB I'm sure. Something you can recommend monsieur 80s guru?

I would've loved to see you perform Save a Prayer....LOL Sorry but I can just imagine!! 
Anyway, how about a custom cover job by the rarest of goats? Should be most awesome and perhaps more importantly: exhilarating for the missus which then, hopefully, translates into some adult gymnastics back at the crib. You can thank me later my friend.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 05 2014 at 09:03
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:10
Oh my, David... Losing It. That's been a while since I heard someone mention that one. 

I just pulled up the lyric sheet, and I think (meter wise) these lyrics would fit perfectly on Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. A completely random, unexplainable association, but it happened just now. LOL

Nice list, there's a lot on there that I know by name only though. More to investigate - may it be a long and cold winter, haha.

Edited by Angelo - December 05 2014 at 09:12
ISKC Rock Radio
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

One to start the album the other to finish itBig smile Love both of them, and while I have almost everything Dead Kennedys, I still only own that one Mission of Burma album. Might be worth exploring a tad further methinks. I remember you posting an orangy looking cover art in here a good while back, but it was MoB I'm sure. Something you can recommend monsieur 80s guru?

I would've loved to see you perform Save a Prayer....LOL Sorry but I can just imagine!! 
Anyway, how about a custom cover job by the rarest of goats? Should be most awesome and perhaps more importantly: exhilarating for the missus which then, hopefully, translates into some adult gymnastics back at the crib. You can thank me later my friend.

LOL

re: Mission of Burma - all their albums are pretty good, but that orangey one I posted a while back, "The Obliterati" (2006) is by far my favorite.  I would love to get a guitar sound like that, it is sooo raw and awesome with natural tube-driven distortion, and the music just charges forward with a momentum that you would not believe.  It's a great, great album that I didn't buy for a long time because I never expected the re-united band to be anywhere near as good as they were in the 80s (I tried their first reunion album (onOffOn) and was not blown away).  Boy, I was wrong there.  Their other post-reunion albums are also good, but Obliterati stands out big time.

I wouldn't mind covering Duran Duran again, though I'm not sure the other 3 guys in the group share my sympathy for their songcraft.  We could use more ballads in our repertoire though.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 05 2014 at 09:28

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:22
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Oh my, David... Losing It. That's been a while since I heard someone mention that one. 

I just pulled up the lyric sheet, and I think (meter wise) these lyrics would fit perfectly on Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. A completely random, unexplainable association, but it happened just now. LOL

Nice list, there's a lot on there that I know by name only though. More to investigate - may it be a long and cold winter, haha.

This is the main reason for me being on PA if you can believe that. Interesting but somehow completely useless information served up originally and imaginativeLOLClapBig smile

Beautiful song though and from my favourite Rush album too. I was tempted to go for Subdivisions instead but it always gets mentioned. 

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:24
Now where's that HIGH FIVE emoticon if you need it.... Oh well... Thumbs Up
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:29

LOL

re: Mission of Burma - all their albums are pretty good, but that orangey one I posted a while back, "The Obliterati" (2006) is by far my favorite.  I have made it a personal goal to get that kind of guitar sound on a future song of mine, it is sooo raw and awesome with natural tube-driven distortion, and the music just charges forward with a momentum that you would not believe.  It's a great, great album that I didn't buy for a long time because I never expected the re-united band to be anywhere near as good as they were in the 80s (I tried their first reunion album (onOffOn) and was not blown away).  Boy, I was wrong there.  Their other post-reunion albums are also good, but Obliterati stands out big time.

I wouldn't mind covering Duran Duran again, though I'm not sure the other 3 guys in the group share my sympathy for their songcraft.  We could use more ballads in our repertoire though.

Ok...you see I was convinced that you would be recommending an album from the 80s. Just goes to show that it pays to ask. Obliterati is hereby on my list (the infamous!)

I guess I can see some obstacles in pushing Duran Duran into your playlist if the other guys feel about the band like 80% of the entire male population on earth.......but I guess we're different there Steve. Totally in tune with our inner female.
You could trash it down though and still keep the balladry vibe methinks. It's better than Beth from Kiss!

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:33
Small thing: whenever I read the title to this thread, my inner voice reads out 'the playlist of your rear'LOL

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 09:41

Small thing: whenever I read the title to this thread, my inner voice reads out 'the playlist of your rear'LOL

Bummer. 
ISKC Rock Radio
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 11:31

Do Your Best And Don't Worry - Morrissey (Southpaw Grammar)
Bad Days - Flaming Lips (Clouds Taste Metallic)
Hand in my Pocket - Alanis Morissette (Jagged Little Pill)
Tonight, Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins (Mellon Collie)
Street Spirit - Radiohead (The bends)
Sky Moves Sideways - Porcupine Tree (Sky Moves Sideways)
Moments - Red House Painters (Ocean Beach)
Mind/Body/Light/Sound - Swans (Great Annihilator)
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 11:51
1995... hmmm. That year I graduated and didn't have much time for music. Still you included one of my favourites, Sky Moves Sideways. 
ISKC Rock Radio
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 12:06
Go listen to that Morrissey record xoxo
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 12:12
The year is 1965.