Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow have you introduced people to Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 08:26
I should be introducing more people to prog at my gigs..since they show appreciation for me. I usually don't go beyond grabbing a plastic cup of diet Coke, saying hello...and running out to my car and spending my break time listening to Univers Zero. I recently introduced my sound tech to the music of Happy The Man on our break and he was blown away. It sounds like I'm being selfish and I'm not. People are not really all that interested in Prog...so I head for the door , turn on the heat in the car and listen to what I like. Some people will follow me out to the car, shake my hand while I'm sitting IN the car and they will over-hear some underground Prog from my car stereo and look at me as if bombs are dropping on the earth's surface. You wouldn't believe the looks on their faces as they kneel down to my driver's seat and say..."What the hell is that" Just like Steve Martin did on "Saturday Night Live". "What the hell is that?" I will softly respond by saying..."Oh that's Prog Rock"  Then they are like..."OOOOO-KAY?"  It's very funny to witness and it's not such a bad thing when you think about it. People can't help themselves. They want to jump in my car and listen to AC/DC because they want me to relate to them and respect the Rock music they like...which isn't going to happen in my car, but I feel sorry for them and so I walk with them and listen to how they praise KISS, AC/DC, and whatever else and if that makes them feel good then it's worth the distance making a person happy.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 12:36
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

disco queen wheeeahhh whoohuu aaahhh bounce, bounce, bounce happy bounce Hug
Sonia, I have a feeling that your considerable charms also help your cause. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 14:56
The only people I have introduced have been older than 45 .....a few got into some of the more classic prog bands. I did try to get my son in law into prog a few years ago and while he did like a few tracks here and there by Tull, ELP, and Yes....he has never really dug any deeper into it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TheRollingOrange View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 18:41
I actually got a friend of mine interested in Genesis because she was genuinely interested in hearing the music that I like, I showed her a few songs and she really fell for PG's voice, so I recommended her some Genesis songs. We'll see where it goes. I really don't like pushing people into things but I'm glad when they appreciate the things I like. She also asked if I could play some Yes songs but I honestly couldn't think of any in that moment, since I had some trouble liking Yes when I started getting into prog. (I love them now, though) But I'll find something.

Edited by TheRollingOrange - December 07 2014 at 18:42
AllHellosInTheWorld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 00:53
Sometimes it's a matter of people asking about my musical tastes, and I'll oftentimes recommend them something based off of what they listen to (Led Zeppelin fans may like Rush, Deep Purple fans may like Uriah Heep or Quatermass, post-hardcore fans to Mars Volta).
But most of the time it's just me sending someone a message saying "Hey! Check this out!" I got a friend hooked on Van der Graaf after showing him Jackson plays two saxes at once.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 11:38
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

So, if I understand you, to make people like some genre of music:
1) breed them;
2) indoctrinate them;
3) yell at young people only listening to rap and pop, like any old geezer would do, just like parents did in the 50's when Rock'n'Roll appeared;
4) SUCCESS!

FASCIST!

Embarrassed

Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 15:52
Now that I recall, I turned on a friend who is a Styx and Journey AOR fan to Spock's Beard's X album. He later bought the new SB Brief Nocturnes album.
So again, I think it can be done if your targeted audience is at least into some form of Rock.

I don't think this can ever be done with a hip hop fan as I remember one making fun of the genre to his girlfriend in a specialty record shop. However, the girlfriend still seemed  fascinated by the very name 'Progressive rock', so as long as there's an interest, there's hope.

Edited by SteveG - December 08 2014 at 15:57
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:14
I've tried. It really doesn't work unless they already have a foot in the door.

But careful selection is important. Some young people just don't like old music. I've got a friend who enjoys American folk music. I played Jethro Tull while we were in the car one time. Though he liked it, he said he couldn't stand the fact that it didn't sound modern. It's funny though, because he calls himself a Zeppelin fan. LOL But yes they are very different.

And another friend of mine is a huge electronic music fan. But again, he didn't really dig Tangerine Dream because it was a bit aged for him.

So I don't really try anymore to expose other people to prog, depending on the person. But when someone turns the radio on and asks what station I'd like to hear, I am emphatic that 90% of the music is crap (yes I know that's a bit broad) and there's a 100% chance it won't play what I'd like to hear. But then I'll explain the music I listen to doesn't belong on FM radio; it's not made for that format. But at that point, people assume that because it's not on radio, it must be weird or garbage. The connections folks make are interesting.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Glimpse View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:16
One of my friends asked my about the kind of music that I listen to after became curious in the Genesis shirt I was wearing. The next day she told me that she had looked them up and listened to most of their albums online, and that she had really enjoyed them. Since then I've been sharing some of my other prog CDs with her, most of which she has also liked.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I don't think this can ever be done with a hip hop fan as I remember one making fun of the genre to his girlfriend in a specialty record shop. However, the girlfriend still seemed  fascinated by the very name 'Progressive rock', so as long as there's an interest, there's hope.

That reminds me of a friend who's big into hip-hop, but that's not all. He likes The Dixie Chicks, Rush, Zappa, Animals as Leaders, Drake, be-bop, anything under the sun. And he used to be a singer in a death metal band. LOL People are indeed hard to comprehend.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:21
^I stand corrected MM, but that's why I brought up the young man's girlfriend who seemed more open minded.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 19:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I was and still am a hip hop fan. It's definitely possible to get one into prog but it depends on their tastes. someone who is into RATM might be able to get into Tool. Someone who is into A Tribe Called Quest might be able to get into jazz and then get into jazz rock. Someone who is into Beastie boys might be able to get into classic rock and then get into prog rock. But if they listen to 50 Cent there probably isn't any hope for them.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 22:08

With me it’s been sporadic at best. 

My biggest “success story” was with a guy I had a correspondence with in the 1980s, originally out of mutual interests in comics and animation.  We were already around the same age, and when we started discussing music, we found out our interests already overlapped in some areas.  His tastes were already pretty varied; he was already a fan of Tull, Yes, ELP, but oddly was unfamiliar with Genesis prior to their more commercial period.  So through mix tapes I sent him I turned him on to Genesis, Steve Hackett, Ant Phillips, Happy the Man, Kit Watkins and much much more.

Other than that, the reactions I’ve gotten might best be described as a raucous burst of indifference.  When I was staying in a Navy barracks between 1981-83, I would leave the door to my room ajar so that anyone who wanted to could stick his head in and inquire about whatever I had playing.  But I got very few if any takers.  Ermm

I had a manufacturing job a few years ago where I was usually working in a slightly more isolated area (though with a lot of passing foot traffic) where I could pretty well listen to whatever I wanted.  But again I’d get little response.  There was one guy who often worked the same hours I did, and our tastes overlapped a little but not so much in prog.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 04:09
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I think you should not start by just letting someone listen to some Prog music. The world of Prog is much more than the music as such, it is a universe in itself, like a giant maze full of amazing things waiting to be discovered by those who dare to venture into it. We serious Prog fans care about much more than the simple pleasure of listening to a nice piece of music. Once we have got deep enough into the maze's entrance we start appreciating many other wonders beyond the music itself: the lyrics, the artworks, the individual musicians with their character and their skills, the often tumultuous stories of the bands and the relationships between their members, the relationships between bands and sub-genres, the chronological-historical aspects, the instruments...  And places like PA where all those things can be discovered and discussed with other nice people. And when you are deep enough such as a frequent PA visitor, you know with certainty that the maze is so big that you can never possibly discover all of its hidden wonders, the source of Prog nectar is inexhaustible.

So what you need to get someone possibly interested into Prog is not playing them a few songs but somehow let them feel that aspect of Prog, let them see that there exists some obscure endless world, a hidden sub-culture, where someone who dares to have a peek and stay for long enough to start appreciating what lies in there has big chances of getting sucked and be revealed an endless source of wonders, an endless trip of exploration and discovery going far beyond enjoying listening to some music. If they understand this they may get intrigued into starting exploring the maze's entrance by themselves.

This makes it sound really cool. Or really creepyweird like some kind of cult.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 19:54
With gusto (and no catchy Peter Gabriel in the vein of Sledgehammer!)!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 21:46
The little problem I found sometimes with introducing people to prog especially Big smile
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 01:13
Introduction usually goes something like this:

"It listens to Kohntarkosz or it gets the hose again"

And if you are wondering, yes, that line is from Silence of the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Edited by Tapfret - March 30 2015 at 01:15
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 02:21
Are you guys willing to do a little test survey with me? This could be interesting for PA site too. I'll make a new forum topic and post 3 completely different songs by one artist (certainly prog by anyone's view), with this band I have converted some women and men into liking "prog". HugQuestion 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 10:19
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Are you guys willing to do a little test survey with me? This could be interesting for PA site too. I'll make a new forum topic and post 3 completely different songs by one artist (certainly prog by anyone's view), with this band I have converted some women and men into liking "prog". HugQuestion 

Are you serious? In what part of the world did you do this? I certainly hope not in the U.S...where we may very well have those certain famous Prog cities cultivated by sincere Prog heads, where upon outsiders gain interest through gossip circulation , but the majority of the country is split in sections where specific styles of commercially viable music take hold with a populated amount of spectators. America has always been a big fat commercial exploitation with the arts. For example, in the 70's.. many European Rock bands would gain the opportunity to have their album released in the U.S. with a domestic hard back cover and their first question was..."Well, why can't we use the original album cover?" The second question would be..."Why are you people changing  the order of the tracks?" The third question would be..."Why have you omitted certain album tracks?"

Have you tried this with Americans who have been living in the commercial dream world for years? This country used to have a appreciation for Prog and it's authenticity. Ironically, that had a lot to do with they way Prog was being presented through the media. Some Americans question why they should pay attention to a style of music ..such as Prog...when it literally fell by the wayside long ago, which leaves their poor little minds to wonder if the music wasn't lame in the first place in order for this whole disaster to occur.  

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 22:57
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Are you serious? In what part of the world did you do this? I certainly hope not in the U.S...where we may very well have those certain famous Prog cities cultivated by sincere Prog heads, where upon outsiders gain interest through gossip circulation, but the majority of the country is split in sections where specific styles of commercially viable music take hold with a populated amount of spectators.
Sounds like that movie, Divergent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>