Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow have you introduced people to Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 00:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

disco queen wheeeahhh whoohuu aaahhh bounce, bounce, bounce happy bounce Hug
Sonia, I have a feeling that your considerable charms also help your cause. Wink
SteveG Hug hug and some more huggies (the lather not nappy brand btw) and some more Hug
Yes somehow this is true, SteveG. I relate charm to a positive outlook and speaking with conviction  things that makes you happy while also having an altruistic sense/need/urge inside you to share the wonderful happy feeling inside you in the hopes that others might feel so happy as you too at the time Big smile such a wonderful feeling really.
Again Hug   
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 01:13
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Are you guys willing to do a little test survey with me? This could be interesting for PA site too. I'll make a new forum topic and post 3 completely different songs by one artist (certainly prog by anyone's view), with this band I have converted some women and men into liking "prog". HugQuestion 

Are you serious? In what part of the world did you do this? I certainly hope not in the U.S...where we may very well have those certain famous Prog cities cultivated by sincere Prog heads, where upon outsiders gain interest through gossip circulation , but the majority of the country is split in sections where specific styles of commercially viable music take hold with a populated amount of spectators. America has always been a big fat commercial exploitation with the arts. For example, in the 70's.. many European Rock bands would gain the opportunity to have their album released in the U.S. with a domestic hard back cover and their first question was..."Well, why can't we use the original album cover?" The second question would be..."Why are you people changing  the order of the tracks?" The third question would be..."Why have you omitted certain album tracks?" hug

Have you tried this with Americans who have been living in the commercial dream world for years? This country used to have a appreciation for Prog and it's authenticity. Ironically, that had a lot to do with they way Prog was being presented through the media. Some Americans question why they should pay attention to a style of music ..such as Prog...when it literally fell by the wayside long ago, which leaves their poor little minds to wonder if the music wasn't lame in the first place in order for this whole disaster to occur.  

Toddler,
Yes I have and succeeded at it too. One of them is a PA member called Kozmo, she is a self-professed metalhead. My cousin Tatiana too, both became almost obsessed with POS while at first not quite understand what progressive moozik was at first. I can name atleast 5 people who I introduced to POS and they became even bigger fans then me Confused
We need to open up more and give people more credit, none prog listeners at times are more receptive especially to new prog bands compared to some current prog listeners. Their excitement is infectious Smile big hug to you, Hug
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 22:25
I have a bunch of friends that like weird unpredictable music, but when I introduce them to prog it just doesn't click for them. I thinks it because its to dated, I guess.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 08:03
I'd give them records of modern bands such as Dream Theater, Angra and Symphony X. That said, there are thounsands of DT fans in Argentina, but most of them are into metal. So it's not an easy task to make people appreciate 70's prog even if they like those bands.
Also...whatever you do, don't start your "prog 101 lessons" with "Pawn Hearts" or "TFTO" LOL We want people to like prog, not hate it. 

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:09
I've found that with colleagues that are into mainstream pop music with dashes of AOR, sometimes the easiest steps are using those albums that the greats of the 1970s did in the 1980s. You know, like Yes' 90125 and other albums of that quality. Some people need "baby steps." Still, others are adventurous enough to take a leap off a cliff (e.g. Area's Maledetti).

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 12:23
I usually move towards avant garde when introducing people, its weirder sounding but it doesn't sound as old and corny to them (not that I think prog is corny except for newer bands like the flower kings, transatlantic, ect.)

They usually dig it, Ive even had good comments from playing the Residents.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345