Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Miles Davis belong in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:34
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I have a question; Is ProgArchives, related to progressive music in general or only to progressive "rock" music?
This is very unclear to me right now.
We'll have to review all the Dean and Moshkito exchanges. The answer's in there somewhere.
hahahahaha!!!!! hahaha!! That would take months lol LOL big hug to you, Hackettfan Hug
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:37

I have a question; Is ProgArchives, related to progressive music in general or only to progressive "rock" music?

Yes
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:46
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Yes
PadraicHug
Yes but what? Ermm anyway Big smile moreHug
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 22:14
To answer your question, PA has all music directly related to progressive rock as we know it in its pure 70s form. This includes all those 70s 'heros,' the spinoffs of those bands who have a progressive nature, and bands who took influence from those 70s bands and applied them to their own genres. The subgenres we have on the main site fit those descriptions. All of the music we have on the site is progressive music, but the blanket of "progressive music" is far larger than our site holds. Genres like "progressive house" don't belong here because they have no relation to prog rock, while genres like "progressive electronic" do belong here because of the direct connection between the Berlin School of electronic music and 70s progressive rock.

Does that answer your question?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 00:17
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

To answer your question, PA has all music directly related to progressive rock as we know it in its pure 70s form. This includes all those 70s 'heros,' the spinoffs of those bands who have a progressive nature, and bands who took influence from those 70s bands and applied them to their own genres. The subgenres we have on the main site fit those descriptions. All of the music we have on the site is progressive music, but the blanket of "progressive music" is far larger than our site holds. Genres like "progressive house" don't belong here because they have no relation to prog rock, while genres like "progressive electronic" do belong here because of the direct connection between the Berlin School of electronic music and 70s progressive rock.

A beautifully concise and candid post certainly. Clap Now that Admin have confirmed the future direction of the site we can get on with what we do best, arguing the toss about everyone and anyone's Prog credentials. My habitual abrasive cynicism and trollish badgering aside, I am extremely glad that PA will remain an exclusive (albeit a very broad church) closed only to those who put IOUs on the collection plate and defecate in the fount. Thanks Andy. Wink
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 02:50

The latter.

And yes...not everything here shows that. I suppose there will always be bumps in the road though... 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 02:51
Andy's answer is obviously superior to my terse retort above. I should have read the last page before posting.

Thumbs Up to Andy. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 03:29

Thank you very much, Andy,
You answered my question and clarified any doubts I could possibly have right now.
Thumbs Up Again, thank you. Hugs Hug
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 03:32

And that, my friend, is a great description. Much more to the point than the overly artificial debate over the meaning of the words prog and progressive. I wonder what would've happened if you had been involved in the discussion on 'signed' versus 'unsigned' bands, when we started that forum section and had a similar debate over those words. Clap
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 11:35

This pretty much sums it up, and explains why Miles will remain here.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 17:34

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

join the crowd...  a point made across many pages, in many threads. It is unclear, vague. David called it best. Limbo dudette...

Doctor Micky's advice

just drink.. lots of booze.. either you will finally understand.. that there is no understanding

.. or you will cease to think and stop caring..

either way you win! Thumbs Up
hahaha!! Micky, what you said is so funny LOL I am starting to believe all you said here above is actually true really hahaha!!
Cheers and a massive big hug to you Hug

Wink disbelieve at your own risk, to your santity darlin'.

Micky may not know much.. but years in the trenches of evaluating and adding bands as well as tweaking subgenres here educated me there are two forces at play here. I took bullets and have scars to show for my efforts to broaden the spectrum of what the site covers. 

The site is a a limbo land between Prog Rock and Progressive (Rock) Music outside the stylistic norms that Prog Rock has established.  When you can look at a band and say.. they are prog... or NOT prog you have to ask yourself why.  Prog Rock like any genre.. has certain dots to be connected, connect them and even though you might be the most derivative group in sound and styles you will be called prog. Conversely you can be the most progressive group.. yet sound or hold no direct stylistic tie to 'Prog Rock' and you will not be callled Prog.

Some though have pushed and made sure those bands get added. Some have.. some did not.

Thus in all seriousness.. you have the limbo David spoke off.. the site is not a Prog Rock website..it has progressed far past that.. but neither has it become a Progressive music website.

Edited by micky - January 15 2015 at 17:39
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 01:54
Trying to "define" genres, man. That right there is a sticky situation. Would I call it prog? No, probably not. But I did include it in one of the list threads, so maybe I'm a giant liar.

Jazz is certainly prog-adjacent, enough for me to consider it. See, none of you would have any problems saying King Crimson's Lizards is a prog album, so what excludes Nefertiti or Bitches Brew? It's just too muddy to get caught up in that mire.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 02:15
I stand by what I stated on a lot of posts above here.
Further debate for me would be redundant. 
Ending here for me.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 02:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Progressive rock...? No....jazz and jazz fusion...yes.

This'll do.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 15:34
I'm a little late joining this thread.  Somebody may already have said this (I didn't want to check through every post over the last 19 pages!).

The jazz fusion work produced by Miles Davis is appropriate for inclusion in Prog Archives.

However, sitting at No.29 of Prog Archives top 100 albums is 'Kind of Blue'.  This is undoubtedly a great album but it is not prog (bearing in mind that prog is a sub genre of ROCK).  It is a straight ahead jazz album.  Herein lies the problem: because some of Miles Davis' albums are prog related, he is included in Prog Archives.  Because he is included in Prog Archives all of his albums (including all of the none prog ones - which make up the vast majority of his recordings) are eligible to be rated alongside prog albums.  This then creates the odd situation where a completely non prog album is in the top thirty of the best prog albums.

Dave Brubeck's 'Time Out' is far more prog than 'Kind of Blue' but because Brubeck never produced any fusion albums, he is not included.  If Brubeck had produced a couple of fusion albums at some point in his career, then it is highly likely that 'Time Out' would appear in the top 30 of Prog Archives top 100.

What if ...say...the boy band 'One Direction' made forays into Prog Rock in the future (highly unlikely I know - but bear with me).  This would then make them eligible to be included in Prog Archives.  Would it then be acceptable for their debut album, 'Up All Night' (possibly the most un-prog album ever) to be included in the Prog Archives top 100 albums of all time?

I love the music of Miles Davis but 'Kind of Blue' should not be listed as a prog album.

Or, it should be made clear to visitors to the site that the Prog Archives top 100 is open to non prog albums (which would make the list a bit pointless in the first place.)

Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 15:54
The problem is that too many people are giving KOB 5 stars when they damn well know they are not on a jazz site.

In general I think too many give 5 star ratings to personal faves (regardless of their progginess).
Magma America Great Make Again
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:18
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I'm a little late joining this thread.  Somebody may already have said this (I didn't want to check through every post over the last 19 pages!). The jazz fusion work produced by Miles Davis is appropriate for inclusion in Prog Archives. However, sitting at No.29 of Prog Archives top 100 albums is 'Kind of Blue'.  This is undoubtedly a great album but it is not prog (bearing in mind that prog is a sub genre of ROCK. It is a straight ahead jazz album.  Herein lies the problem: because some of Miles Davis' albums are prog related, he is included in Prog Archives.
Just about everyone on PA knows this and you should probably have checked through a few more posts.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 19:25
Fair enough! In that case then, I would nominate 'Someday My Prince Will Come' as the best prog album of all time. It's got nothing to do with prog rock but it's a fantastic straight ahead jazz album. Oh, by the way my favourite apple is an orange.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 20:52
As said earlier, this is down to the absence of album-wise genre tagging on this website.  IF there were enough pop Genesis fans on this website, you might have had Invisible Touch breaking into the dreaded PA top 100.  As it happens, there aren't enough of them however enough prog heads do like Kind of Blue to give it a high rating, notwithstanding its lack of prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819