Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Miles Davis belong in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 10:03
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

That's a nice anecdote, but it never happened.

Perhaps your anecdote never happened either. I've got both the Autobiography and the Milestone-book. And according to new introduction of the latter (by the author himself Jack Chambers), late in his life Miles didn't have much recollection about what he'd actually said or done. Which is why a lot of what is seemingly Miles thinking out loud in his Autobiography is more or less rewritten quotes from Milestones. 

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:54
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

We need Essays!!!!!!!!!!! About this topic! Well studied ones!
Sorry, I left school quite a long time ago.

Hahahaha Infocat and Rednight LOLI lost interest in writing the above Stern Smile no idea why I was so enthusiastic about this yesterday ErmmConfused
HugsHug

Forget about it!
Stern Smile your grumpy closed replies with an added exclamation mark sure does not leave any space further space for discussion, Rednight Ouch It's ok, Red Sonia Big smile will continue insisting with you until you finally give in Wink
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 20:25
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

This is a fascinating time period and when I traveled the road in the 70's, musicians always and forever..talked about his reinvention. Yeah...that was a huge deal on a giant scale of musician rating and personal observation of all entertainers/performers that I traveled the road with in the 70's. Folk musicians on the circuit then, ..had great appreciation for Miles Davis and often expressed the importance of his genius to change music. Not just Jazz, but the actual concept of how to play music..in general.."differently". Miles Davis was a very unusual character to Jazz, Rock, Folk, & Blues musicians who did session work in N.Y. recording studios during the 70's. I was part of this scene during the late 70's and now that I'm an old man, I can turn on the radio and sometimes hear my guitar solos in a song that was never credited to me and has kept me virtually unknown and alien to a world I was directly part of  created by an evil monster industry.Wink

Miles Davis was very scary to many serious skilled Jazz musicians. Miles was intimidating to them all and they took the whole affair as an educational experience/process. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I have often connected this to the atmospheric "Space Rock" sound brought through in Jimi Hendrix' music. This is a very long time ago and we have to recall who existed in music then and compare that to what was non-existent. You have to count the percentage of what was being created and compare it to Miles Davis' creations/inventions during that specific point in time and consider that he was a genius that crossed over into Rock music. On Jethro Tull's "Bouree" ..there is a definite Jazz feel. So it may written somewhere that Jethro Tull, the Prog band, were influenced by Jazz music. Yet in Miles Davis' case..he created many, many ideas that were applied in Prog composition and he is denied. 

Laura Nyro who knew Miles Davis was influenced by his creative ideas. I'm not stating anything about how music sounds stylistically. I'm making reference to a book of ideas that Miles created within a entire change in music. How to write it or what "Not" to write" at a given moment. This is the gift Syd Barrett gave to Roger Waters, however..this time it prevailed in the Jazz world. Laura Nyro doesn't exactly sound like Miles Davis in the obvious sense, but she used his ideas to compose a song, (not a jam), and present a distant atmospheric effect on her piano and the instrumental passages of guitar and horns. Some of her music was Gospel related and reflected in the lyricism how a relationship between a man and a woman was sometimes more about death than the living. She was very depressing and wanted the Jazzy darkscapes to fall between her words. She was into Miles. Todd Rundgren was VERY influenced by Laura Nyro. Almost every chord change he has ever written is literally a piece of her. Beginning with his Nazz phase throughout his entire career. Todd Rundgren formed Utopia. Isn't that Progressive Rock?  Miles ideas were widespread in the music industry ..so giving him credit in the area of Prog would be meaningful because he introduced musicians to new ideas.
Toddler, you are not old at all Disapprove, very silly yes Big smile but not old umphft! David Bowie is the sexiest man alive and he is not old by any means whatsoever, God I love him Smile  to much Heartsigh  EmbarrassedThumbs Up

What you said about your personal experience during this epic era, is most interesting really, THIS is  an very interesting topic and I think you could put your experiences into paper, write a book about this. I love the 70's and wish more books were out there for me to read, true life stories, besides from Groupies or Famous band members, this would feel more personal and a great read which I would love to read and I am sure many others would too. We lack personal biographies of those who were part of that scene however due to fate have not become superstars in the music industry. Real life true stories of artists that were part of that scene, bringing us into that magical would, a journey into their life. This is what would interest me, the most and such a great read, an insight of that life.
Big hug to you, Toddler (awww you have the most adorable name on P.A.) Hug

Edited by Kati - December 16 2014 at 20:37
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 20:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Kati ... you do know that prog'rs are chauvinist and a woman can't possibly be an artist, much less help her man define music!!!!

Goodness gracious!

Ying Yang
That's a fact, Moshkito. To be fair and honest that music era was mostly male dominated, in terms of musicians not singers Big smile 
Betty was Miles Davis Muse tho' Wink mhwoaaahhxxx plus big hug to you Hug
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 21:00

This is a fascinating time period and when I traveled the road in the 70's, musicians always and forever..talked about his reinvention. Yeah...that was a huge deal on a giant scale of musician rating and personal observation of all entertainers/performers that I traveled the road with in the 70's. Folk musicians on the circuit then, ..had great appreciation for Miles Davis and often expressed the importance of his genius to change music. Not just Jazz, but the actual concept of how to play music..in general.."differently". Miles Davis was a very unusual character to Jazz, Rock, Folk, & Blues musicians who did session work in N.Y. recording studios during the 70's. I was part of this scene during the late 70's and now that I'm an old man, I can turn on the radio and sometimes hear my guitar solos in a song that was never credited to me and has kept me virtually unknown and alien to a world I was directly part of  created by an evil monster industry.Wink

Miles Davis was very scary to many serious skilled Jazz musicians. Miles was intimidating to them all and they took the whole affair as an educational experience/process. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I have often connected this to the atmospheric "Space Rock" sound brought through in Jimi Hendrix' music. This is a very long time ago and we have to recall who existed in music then and compare that to what was non-existent. You have to count the percentage of what was being created and compare it to Miles Davis' creations/inventions during that specific point in time and consider that he was a genius that crossed over into Rock music. On Jethro Tull's "Bouree" ..there is a definite Jazz feel. So it may written somewhere that Jethro Tull, the Prog band, were influenced by Jazz music. Yet in Miles Davis' case..he created many, many ideas that were applied in Prog composition and he is denied. 

Laura Nyro who knew Miles Davis was influenced by his creative ideas. I'm not stating anything about how music sounds stylistically. I'm making reference to a book of ideas that Miles created within a entire change in music. How to write it or what "Not" to write" at a given moment. This is the gift Syd Barrett gave to Roger Waters, however..this time it prevailed in the Jazz world. Laura Nyro doesn't exactly sound like Miles Davis in the obvious sense, but she used his ideas to compose a song, (not a jam), and present a distant atmospheric effect on her piano and the instrumental passages of guitar and horns. Some of her music was Gospel related and reflected in the lyricism how a relationship between a man and a woman was sometimes more about death than the living. She was very depressing and wanted the Jazzy darkscapes to fall between her words. She was into Miles. Todd Rundgren was VERY influenced by Laura Nyro. Almost every chord change he has ever written is literally a piece of her. Beginning with his Nazz phase throughout his entire career. Todd Rundgren formed Utopia. Isn't that Progressive Rock?  Miles ideas were widespread in the music industry ..so giving him credit in the area of Prog would be meaningful because he introduced musicians to new ideas.
Toddler, you are not old at all Disapprove, very silly yes Big smile but not old umphft! David Bowie is the sexiest man alive and he is not old by any means whatsoever, God I love him Smile  to much Heartsigh  EmbarrassedThumbs Up

What you said about your personal experience during this epic era, is most interesting really, THIS is  an very interesting topic and I think you could put your experiences into paper, write a book about this. I love the 70's and wish more books were out there for me to read, true life stories, besides from Groupies or Famous band members, this would feel more personal and a great read which I would love to read and I am sure many others would too. We lack personal biographies of those who were part of that scene however due to fate have not become superstars in the music industry. Real life true stories of artists that were part of that scene, bringing us into that magical would, a journey into their life. This is what would interest me, the most and such a great read, an insight of that life.
Big hug to you, Toddler (awww you have the most adorable name on P.A.) Hug

Wow thanks Kati! You're a real character on Progarchives. You bring much laughter and joy to members here. Thanks for picking up everyone's spirits! Thank you for your support....Johnny
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 21:05

[QUOTE=TODDLER][QUOTE=Kati]

Wow thanks Kati! You're a real character on Progarchives. You bring much laughter and joy to members here. Thanks for picking up everyone's spirits! Thank you for your support....Johnny
Oh wow thank you very much Toddler EmbarrassedHugHeart I am serious tho' and eager about you sharing your life experience, wow that would be something, this would be a great interesting epic book read, seriously! Approve Big hugs Hug
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:10
It's always a pleasure to see Red Sonia in action :-)

Edited by Windhawk - December 16 2014 at 22:10
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:12
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

It's always a pleasure to see Red Sonia in action :-)

hahaha Olav wow great artwork, I love her muscle tone, but damn if I looked like her I'd smother you all to death with my hugs lol LOLBig smileHug
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:16
Hehe, guys would be smothered to death with a big grin on their face ;-)
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:21

hahahaha!!! Olav lol you make me laugh so much now LOL hahaha big hug Hug and kiss too!
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:24
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:33

Awww bear hug this doesn't get much fluffier nor cuter! Awww Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:39
Olav, do you remember this pic we took just before going to Orsa Bear Park? Big smile You with a friend who's round head resembles a happy Marie Biscuit and also is Janis Joplin look a like LOLHug
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:43

Yeah, yeah .. and then she takes your house, your car and half of your retirement money and leaves. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:51
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Yeah, yeah .. and then she takes your house, your car and half of your retirement money and leaves. 
Nope absolutely not, that's why one has a contract, should I marry one day, I will not marry within community of goods. Just to be safe if it doesn't work out, he will not benefit from my hard earned lifesavings nor do I need to pay any spousal support Disapprove
Unless I marry a millionaire, and this if I ever do decide marry, let's say my finances, I am well of on my own btw Wink Argonaught Tongue and some more tong sticking out TongueWink

Edited by Kati - December 16 2014 at 22:55
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:02

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Nope absolutely not, that's why one has a contract, should I marry one day, I will not marry within community of goods. Just to be safe if it doesn't work out, he will not benefit from my hard earned lifesavings nor do I need to pay any spousal support Disapprove
Unless I marry a millionaire, and this if I ever do decide marry, let's say my finances, I am well of on my own btw Wink Argonaught Tongue and some more tong sticking out TongueWink
How appropriate this songs sounds to me now WinkBig smileRoger Waters - The Tide is Turning - The Wall Live in Berlin 1990 [HQ].   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g7eCiMSpT8&list=RD2g7eCiMSpT8
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:02
Sonia, enough flirting.  Back to Miles.

Wink
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:04
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Sonia, enough flirting.  Back to Miles.

Wink
hahahaha!!!! Padraic, LOL oh awww ok Big smileHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:08
Jimi Hendrix Miles Davis - Rainy Day Hearthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH7LIlobAp8
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:09
Jimi Hendrix Miles Davis Voodoo Chile ApproveThumbs UpHeartHughttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ajpsHxTVg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>