Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking-Glass Lantern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking-Glass Lantern
    Posted: December 10 2014 at 06:51
May I be the second to suggest Looking-Glass Lantern for inclusion on your site under the sub-genre ‘Symphonic’?

Looking-Glass Lantern is the alter-ego of Graham Dunnington, a composer and multi-instrumentalist with a doctorate in Victorian Popular Music. To date, Graham has released two albums; ‘A Tapestry of Tales’ and ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’. Conceived as a pair, the albums are based on the Sherlock Holmes stories of Sir Arthur Colan Doyle, and are available as downloads from iTunes, Amazon, Aurovine, Spotify and other online retailers.

The music on ‘A Tapestry of Tales’ is uncompromisingly symphonic with classical influences; gentle, pastoral and charming. Graham plays all of the instruments, (vintage keyboards, harpsichord, classical guitar etc.), and sings. The only exception to this is the brief violin solo at the very start of Tapestry and the very end of Hound, (the sound of Holmes playing his Stradivarius back in Baker Street). The vocals are complementary rather than dominant.  The Hound of the Baskervilles is much more of a full-on concept album than its predecessor with recurring themes and an intensity that builds with the narrative.

This is music produced for the benefit of the listener rather than the performer; no concession is made to heaviness or rock ‘n roll, no indulgent soloing or 12-bar padding, no guest musicians showing off and no neo-prog doom and gloom. Instead, thoughtful, melodic story-telling with Hackett-era Genesis influences but with a much greater classical feel. 

Musical samples can be found at the web site; 

http://www.lookingglasslantern.co.uk

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:17
This guy absolutely belongs on here!  Approve

Both albums can be heard in full (and bought at a very reasonable price) on the Aurovine website as well as the artist's own website: http://lookingglasslantern.aurovine.com.

Apostolis reviewed the 2013 debut album 'A Tapestry Of Tales' on RYM, and seemed very impressed: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/looking_glass_lantern/a_tapestry_of_tales/.

Symph/Neo boundary for me - this artist wouldn't be out of place in either sub imho. Thumbs Up

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 11:50
Very symphonic stuff, guys there should take notice, digital only release seems a preventing factor, anyway I'll keep a close eye in the case.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 12:35
Maybe you could drop a note in their team thread Apostolis? Smile The suggester didn't include a sub genre in the topic title, so they won't spot it easily. Maybe he will amend the title to include one if he reads this...but with only 10 posts in eight years as a member here, he may not be back for a while...!!  LOL

A very well-written suggestion though, I must say. Approve

Edit: The lack of a physical CD shouldn't be a problem to the Symph boys - they added Greyfield recently without a CD issue of the album currently being produced (there may be some CDs in the future, but none as yet). The Looking-Glass Lantern website gives very thorough info on the albums as well as full streaming facilites - this includes the complete lyrics to all songs...You don't usually get THAT with bandcamp!! LOL

Edited by yam yam - December 10 2014 at 12:58
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 12:54
Yeah, pretty great work by Mr. progaholic, let me take some action then, I did not notice that a suggested genre was missing.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 16:20
God, this sounds like Pendragom without Barrett.

The second track made me remember "Masters of Illusion"

IMO it's Neo but the whole team must vote.

Iván

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 18:07
Hard to believe this is current. If I didn't already know I would have bet good money that it was produced in '80s. To me that's what makes it sound Neo but it is symphonic structure.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 18:12
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Hard to believe this is current. If I didn't already know I would have bet good money that it was produced in '80s. To me that's what makes it sound Neo but it is symphonic structure.

As most Pendragon tracks they have symphonic structure, but IMO they are Neo Prog.

Iván

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 03:22
Keyboards to the wall. A bit of Yes and 80s Neo. Symph enough for my ears. Would fit in Neo too. A tough choice. A tentative yes for me in Symph.
progaholic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 04:01
Hi, I see I need to amend the header to include the suggested sub-genre. What exactly to I need to write?
Cheers
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 07:12
Well, the Symphonic team was notified directly in their team thread in the collab zone by the leader of the Neo Prog team...and these are the two sub genre teams that this suggestion is most likely to be of interest to - so I guess it's not strictly necessary anymore to amend your topic title. It would however still be useful to casual visitors to the site if they could see "Looking-Glass Lantern (UK): Symphonic/Neo Prog" - or something to that effect in the topic tittle - it would indicate to them straight away the type of music they might expect to find if they were to carry on and actually read the thread. Full guidance on making suggestions can be found in Andy Webb's sticky at the top of this sub forum page. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 08:35
According to the rules of the site, won't go to Symphonic (we need unanimous votes), in this case I won't change my vote because I feel this is a Neo case.

Sounds like a Pendragon inspired band

Iván

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 12:01
Added to the Neo charts for further discussion.

progaholic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 13:43
With the greatest of respect, Pendragon couldn't hold a candle to Graham's recordings. The last pendragon album I had the misfortune of listening to was 'Not of this world' and what a tired recording that was; cliches holding hands. The latest IQ album showed that neo-prog is as dead as a dead parrot. Looking-Glass Lantern is as Symphonic as Focus or The Enid. All good wishes P
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by progaholic progaholic wrote:

With the greatest of respect, Pendragon couldn't hold a candle to Graham's recordings. The last pendragon album I had the misfortune of listening to was 'Not of this world' and what a tired recording that was; cliches holding hands. The latest IQ album showed that neo-prog is as dead as a dead parrot. Looking-Glass Lantern is as Symphonic as Focus or The Enid. All good wishes P

With the same respect, I strongly disagree.

1.- Pendragon is an icon of Prog Rock, and "Masquerade Overture" is a masterpiece from any perspective.
2.- Graham album is really good, but still doesn't reach the status of masterpiece.
3.- Neo Prog is not dead, it's evolving, if you listened Pure, you would notice that Pendragon has widened the parameters of Neo Prog.
4.- I honestly find no contact between Looking Glass Lantern and Focus or The Enid.

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:19
...between conflicts, added to Neo: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9120

Edited by apps79 - December 12 2014 at 14:22

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 21:20
Originally posted by apps79 apps79 wrote:

...between conflicts, added to Neo: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9120

Great call

Iván

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 21:52
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by progaholic progaholic wrote:

With the same respect, I strongly disagree.

1.- Pendragon is an icon of Prog Rock, and "Masquerade Overture" is a masterpiece from any perspective.
2.- Graham album is really good, but still doesn't reach the status of masterpiece.
3.- Neo Prog is not dead, it's evolving, if you listened Pure, you would notice that Pendragon has widened the parameters of Neo Prog.
4.- I honestly find no contact between Looking Glass Lantern and Focus or The Enid.

Good thing I wasn't part of this. I don't like Pendragon or The Enid. Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply