Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Prog Songs by non Prog Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Journey of the Sorcerer - The Eagles (aka The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy theme)

good one!  totall forgot about that song, before they went all trash rock
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:20
Originally posted by David64T David64T wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Gladstone Pier - Redgum

Nice pick!  And from a band, close to home, whose name I would never have associated with PA too.

Clap

ok here's a question for either of you who know Redgum, because so few do.
They had a live album with a long title track called "Caught in the Act".  The main melody of the sung part is identical to that of Lindisfarne's "Caught in the Act" but it appeared years later.  Did they acknowledge this or was it a total ripoff?

Speaking of which, Lindisfarne has been rejected before but they had their share of prog songs.  I'll have to post a few but "Dingley Dell" comes to mind
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 22:20
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

I’m not one of the mods, but this topic isn’t exactly new:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74557&KW=Prog+songs+non%2Dprog+bands&PN=4

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91494&KW=Prog+songs+non%2Dprog+bands&PN=3

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^Now now, don't be a party-pooper.......LOL

Actually, I found it a little baffling that on the earlier thread I was practically the only one keeping it going, and now everyone’s weighing in on this new one Confused.

Anyway, how about I poop these: Tongue

Midnight Oil – Arctic World (the proggiest track on Diesel and Dust; a few earlier ones came close, esp. Surfing With a Spoon on their first album, circa 1977)

Poco – Crazy Eyes.  Surprisingly elaborate piece by a band usually dismissed as lightweight country-rock.

Quicksilver Messenger Service – The Fool.  Their magnum opus, IMO, and a surprisingly complex tune full of subtleties and unexpected melodic turns.

Neil Young.  No less than three tracks from “Harvest” lean in that direction: There’s a World, A Man Needs a Maid, and Words (Between the Lines of Age).  I always thought that the arrangement in There’s a World could have inspired Mother Russia by Renaissance.

Allman Brothers Band – In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.  Play it back-to-back with Lady Fantasy by Camel, and tell me what you hear.

Several by Stories: Darling, Hey France, Please,Please, Words, Bridges, Soft Rain, Hard When You’re So Far Away, Stories Untold, and Earthbound/Freefall.

The Church is already on PA as prog related, but Afterimage, the last track on "Magician Among the Spirits," wouldn't sound out of place on an Anthony Phillips album.

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Rude Awakening #2.  Whoever heard of sustained organ chords on a CCR album??

Alice Cooper – Titanic Overture from their first, "Pretties for You."  With mellotron and everything.  A real Get Out of Here song.

Shawn Phillips – “L” Ballade.  Features beautiful orchestral arrangement by Paul Buckmaster.

Roy Wood: his first solo record, “Boulders,” is quirky, idiosyncratic and stylistically all over the place, as is the norm for him.  The two tracks closest to prog are, IMO, Nancy Sing Me a Song and Dear Elaine, both of which would have fit in on the first ELO album.

Cream: “Wheels of Fire” has several: As You Said, White Room, Passing the Time, Pressed Rat and Warthog, Those Were the Days and my single favorite Cream tune, Deserted Cities of the Heart.  From “Disraeli Gears”: Dance the Night Away, World of Pain, Blue Condition.  From “Goodbye”: Badge, What a Bringdown, Anyone for Tennis.

Edited by AreYouHuman - December 18 2014 at 23:09
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 07:20
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Gladstone Pier - Redgum

Nice pick!  And from a band, close to home, whose name I would never have associated with PA too.

Clap

They had a live album with a long title track called "Caught in the Act".  The main melody of the sung part is identical to that of Lindisfarne's "Caught in the Act" but it appeared years later.  Did they acknowledge this or was it a total ripoff?

Speaking of which, Lindisfarne has been rejected before but they had their share of prog songs.  I'll have to post a few but "Dingley Dell" comes to mind

As a matter of fact I am neither familiar with Redgum nor with Lindisfarne. I remember Lindisfarne from songs I heard on the radio, such as Meet Me on the Corner, when I was a 13yo laddie. I heard Gladstone Pier once on the radio, on a Sunday afternoon back in 1985. I loved this song at first hearing and decided that I would hear it again, though most music from Australian bands did not make it to the Dutch record stores. So it would be 2012 or 2013 when I heard it again. In the meantime I got a job, met my wife, got married, became father of a daughter, waited patiently for the rise of the internet with utilities and websites like Spotify, Grooveshark, progstreaming and bandcamp, giving me free rides which I highly appreciate, including the opportunity to renew the acquaintance with some old loves (like Gladstone Pier, which I still remembered after 27 years), and grew twice as old.

Now I could easily find Lindisfarne's Court in the Act (this is the actual title of the song) from 1972 and Redgum's Caught in the Act  from 1981. The main melody is identical, but the lyrics are somewhat different. I don't know and I cannot tell in what degree Redgum is familiar with the catalog of Lindisfarne.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 07:33

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Gladstone Pier - Redgum

Clap

As a matter of fact I am neither familiar with Redgum nor with Lindisfarne. I remember Lindisfarne from songs I heard on the radio, such as Meet Me on the Corner, when I was a 13yo laddie. I heard Gladstone Pier once on the radio, on a Sunday afternoon back in 1985. I loved this song at first hearing and decided that I would hear it again, though most music from Australian bands did not make it to the Dutch record stores. So it would be 2012 or 2013 when I heard it again. In the meantime I got a job, met my wife, got married, became father of a daughter, waited patiently for the rise of the internet with utilities and websites like Spotify, Grooveshark, progstreaming and bandcamp, giving me free rides which I highly appreciate, including the opportunity to renew the acquaintance with some old loves (like Gladstone Pier, which I still remembered after 27 years), and grew twice as old.

Now I could easily find Lindisfarne's Court in the Act (this is the actual title of the song) from 1972 and Redgum's Caught in the Act  from 1981. The main melody is identical, but the lyrics are somewhat different. I don't know and I cannot tell in what degree Redgum is familiar with the catalog of Lindisfarne.

Great story!  Yes sorry I did know the Lindisfarne song was called "Court in the Act".  The lyrics are different other than dealing with mess ups with the law, that of Redgum' being more egregious, that of Lindisfarne being mostly just hippy transgressions.  Yup the melodies are identical both verse and chorus.  Love both songs
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 08:38
Indeed, indeed and indeed - Quicksilver - The Fool    Amazing piece of music.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:23
The Confessor - Joe Walsh
Surf's Up - Beach Boys
2,000 Light Years From Home - Rolling Stones
Cosmic Wheels - Donovan
Broken Arrow - Buffalo Springfield
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:31
Here's a couple of prog songs by The Guess Who.  Both seem to have a strong Zappa influence:

"Goin' a Little Crazy" from the album So Long, Bannatyne (1971)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beQLycqhUwk

"Long Gone" from the album Flavours (1974)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX1gv6-7kak
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 16:39
I think it is interesting that some of the non prog bands would choose to show they could do prog if they wanted to.. but in general they chose not to. 

But most if not all successful rock bands did write great songs (otherwise they would not be considered great bands?), and when they applied prog concepts, could possibly have been great prog bands.

It might be similar to a band just doing something out of character for artistic reasons.. or just for fun.  I remember The Scorpions doing a Reggae song on Lovedrive.  Zeppelin did very folksy stuff particularly on their 3rd album, and The Stones were all over the place also.

Not sure what the dividing line between prog and prog associated is.  Maybe 50%?
Had Yes focused on Jon's ambient soundscapes and Steve's acoustic playing but then side four of their album being The Revealing Science of God or Close to the Edge, would we consider them Prog?  or just another band toying with the idea like Elton John did with Funeral for a Friend?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 16:49
Yes pretty much adopted a prog approach when Steve Howe joined for The Yes Album. Wakeman then reinforced it. You have to be fully committed and 1970-1974 was the time for it. After that there was less incentive as attitudes to prog started to change. Bands like Lone Star and Be Bop Deluxe came just that bit too late to be fully onboard the prog express although they easily the talent to do it. Be Bop Deluxe are especially the classic case of a band that skirted along various dividing lines between prog,new wave and straight ahead rock music.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 22:46
Tom Waits - "Hold On" (ANTI-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPnOEiehONQ
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 23:11
God, I love this song: Queen - Too Much Love Will Kill You (Official Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivbO3s1udic
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:07
Down in the Sewer by The Stranglers from IV Rattus Norvegicus
Astradyne by Ultravox from Vienna
Marquee Moon by Television from the album of the same name
Most of Real Life by Magazine
The title track of Monkey Island by Geils
In Every Dream Home a Heartache by Roxy Music from For Your Pleasure
Out of Blue Comes Green by A-ha from Stay On These Roads

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 19:02
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

(...)

(...)

Roxy Music is in Prog Archives, in Crossover Prog section; http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1498 i.e. For Your Pleasure is a prog rock album.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 19:16
Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band (1976)

Edited by Svetonio - January 28 2015 at 19:45
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 20:19
Apricot Brandy by Rhinoceros (1968)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 23:50
There is a 9:30 version of Steven Stills' Chicago track, performed by Aussie Glam-band SHERBET. The keyboardist, Garth Porter, launches into some cool Emerson-esque Hammond whirlings (ala Rondo), and throws in a massive wall of Mellotron too !! Most Prog workout they've done. Wish I could post the track here.....
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 00:39
Wild Mountain Honey  by Steve Miller Band (1976)

Edited by Svetonio - January 29 2015 at 01:09
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 03:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

There is a 9:30 version of Steven Stills' Chicago track, performed by Aussie Glam-band SHERBET. The keyboardist, Garth Porter, launches into some cool Emerson-esque Hammond whirlings (ala Rondo), and throws in a massive wall of Mellotron too !! Most Prog workout they've done. Wish I could post the track here.....

That's a good one Big smile! But it was written by Graham Nash, not by Stephen Stills.

Here it is:
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 03:32
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

(...)

(...)

Roxy Music is in Prog Archives, in Crossover Prog section; http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1498 i.e. For Your Pleasure is a prog rock album.

Reminds me of Ever Decreasing Circles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>