Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 18:28
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Camel didn't make Love Beach.

Neither Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery.

Only the ones who take the risk can ruin an album.

Playing Pictures at an Exhibition before a myriad of hippies who didn't even knew who Mussorgsky was, is a risk

Camel always played safe with soporiferous albums.

I can only listen Moonmadness without feeling an urge to go to sleep .

Iván

Kind of sums up my views, though I probably like Mirage more than any ELP album.  Even Mirage was heavily derivative of a lot of Canterbury.

Er, no it wasn't. Camel didn't know where Canterbury was until Richard Sinclair joined.

And a track titled Supertwister, bearing a lot of similarity to the band Supersister, was pure coincidence?  I don't think so.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 18:41
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

This poll is breathtaking Stern Smile 
Or, the ELP people have sucked all the oxygen out of the room Pig
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 02:00
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

listen to the buildup and denouement of the title track of Camel's "Stationary Traveller", often considered one of their lesser albums, from 1984.  That's all the raw aggression and emotion I need in my music.    

As for ELP's fun light tracks, they all came across as unfunny jokes, that's why people criticized them for those efforts, not because they weren't serious enough.  If you are going to be light and funny, do it well.  See "Back on the Farm" from Camel's "Breathless" album for an example.  Don't dream about the freakin Wild West as if you have a clue LOL.  God did ELP suck

Benny The Bouncer is the one that gets all the flak and I believe a lot of that is because of the stupid mockney accent put on by Lake. Not one of his finest moments that's for sure. BUT its only 2 minutes on a 45 minute album.

The Sheriff is often praised and given a 'pass' by the majority on here.

Jeremy Bender is a really odd track and I admit I don't like it and in fact side two of Tarkus a bit of a mess really. Its an album with a distinct 'A side' and 'B side'. Side A is the one that matters to me as a fan although it was the later extended version on the triple album shows off the piece it in its full refinery.

Other fun tracks? They don't actually exist until Works Volume Two when ELP's decline was very apparent.

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 04:38

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Camel didn't make Love Beach.

Neither Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery.

Only the ones who take the risk can ruin an album.

Playing Pictures at an Exhibition before a myriad of hippies who didn't even knew who Mussorgsky was, is a risk

Camel always played safe with soporiferous albums.

I can only listen Moonmadness without feeling an urge to go to sleep .

Iván

Kind of sums up my views, though I probably like Mirage more than any ELP album.  Even Mirage was heavily derivative of a lot of Canterbury.

Er, no it wasn't. Camel didn't know where Canterbury was until Richard Sinclair joined.

And a track titled Supertwister, bearing a lot of similarity to the band Supersister, was pure coincidence?  I don't think so.

Supersister were Dutch. Like Camel, they are not anything to do with Canterbury, though their style has something in common with some bands from the Canterbury scene.

Canterbury scene bands HAVE to come from or have lived in Canterbury, by definition. 

Edited by Hercules - December 18 2014 at 04:38
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 09:39
I was expecting this response.  Well, I used the term in the same sense that this website presumably does (in classifying Canterbury as a sub genre and not just as a scene belonging to a particular region).  I may be wrong in doing so but all I meant by the original statement that Camel did derive elements of the Canterbury style of music, irrespective of the source.  And I am not wrong there.

Edited by rogerthat - December 18 2014 at 10:11
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 10:36
Roger That, Roger That.  Camel are generally considered part of the Canterbury family.  Its not just the Richard Sinclair connection.  For instance, I saw Andy Ward playing in 'Going Going' with Hugh Hopper (supporting Gongmaison at Brixton Fridge)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 11:43
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Roger That, Roger That.  Camel are generally considered part of the Canterbury family.  Its not just the Richard Sinclair connection.  For instance, I saw Andy Ward playing in 'Going Going' with Hugh Hopper (supporting Gongmaison at Brixton Fridge)

Absolutely not.

The Canterbury Scene was a term for bands active in the Canterbury area - like Merseybeat bands came from Liverpool. Most (not all) were connected in some way to The Wilde Flowers.

Camel have no connection with Canterbury whatsoever, so cannot be a Canterbury scene band any more than the Rolling Stones could be classed as Merseybeat.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 11:45
This site (the ultimate resource on the Canterbury scene) does list Camel as a Canterbury-related band - not surprising, as every outfit that has featured at least one member of a recognized Canterbury band is listed. The site owner, Aymeric Leroy, is an extremely knowledgeable Frenchman who happens to know most of the original protagonists of the Canterbury scene.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 13:22
I would concur that they are Canterbury-related, but to me it's not all that apparent other than on a few tracks mostly, not surprisingly, from Rain Dances and Breathless.  Supertwister, the one which really got this debate going, seems a bit too mellow and straightforward to be a Canterbury tune, and it's not smug enough Tongue
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 13:55
As another note about the Canterbury bands: most English bands of the scene never hung out in Canterbury - the scene actually revolved around London. It was a style, first and foremost, rather than a scene. And then a few French and Dutch bands hopped on. There's a reason Wyatt called his one band Matching Mole, and do remember the make-up of Gong.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 14:07
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

As another note about the Canterbury bands: most English bands of the scene never hung out in Canterbury - the scene actually revolved around London. It was a style, first and foremost, rather than a scene. And then a few French and Dutch bands hopped on. There's a reason Wyatt called his one band Matching Mole, and do remember the make-up of Gong.

IndeedClap. And also remember that bands from other countries were associated to the Canterbury movement on account of their sound: not just Supersister (Dutch) or Patrick Forgas (French), but also Picchio dal Pozzo (Italian) and The Muffins (USA, and still active!). Just like Krautrock, Canterbury was a style much more than a mere geographical location.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:00
Richard Sinclair says....."A lot goes on here, it's quite cosmopolitan, Canterbury, to a degree... But that's because of the tourists, not from the people who actually live here : they are very conservative, not cosmopolitan at all, not particularly worldly, I don't think. The music happens outside, gets written here and taken out. This is the Canterbury scene for me. It doesn't really exist here, but it forms here. Musicians, friends join together and play music together, and then they head off around Europe and play their music and get noted for this type of sound".
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:05
I've been wrestling with the Canterbury question for a while.  I was asked to be the lead guy for the Canterbury sub here, and it's kind of a balancing act between my own personal view (Canterbury Scene refers to a very specific and limited time and place) and the more broad view this site has used in practice (and not without good reason).  Like it or not, the site uses the expanded definition of "Canterbury" as a genre.  The hard part then becomes drawing that line.  What does a band really need to do to "sound Canterbury"?  Soft Machine and Caravan were two completely different sounds. 

Just a side comment, but as I said, I'm still working it out.  There was no rulebook that came with the job.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 18 2014 at 15:10
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:18
^ this might help.......http://calyx.perso.neuf.fr

Edited by timothy leary - December 18 2014 at 15:19
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:27
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

^ this might help.......http://calyx.perso.neuf.fr
Great idea, TL. Thanks.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:28
Yeah, Calyx is the Canterbury site.  Period.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:39
I posted the link earlier, but I think no one noticed it...
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:41
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I posted the link earlier, but I think no one noticed it...

I did, I did!  Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:46
Obviously I missed your link........sorry for the redundancy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:47
I used to support the idea of a 'Canterbury sound', which I do think exists, but for the purpose of the PA database, I think the old geographical term suits best. 
I've seen this discussion in so many variations, and the only one that has been truly convincing in his explanation of the scene, is Dean. JFTR He is on the geographical team.

Then again, I completely trust Steve to follow whatever he feels most comfortable with. He certainly has more knowledge about these waters than I have *cue the Stewart letter*Tongue

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 18 2014 at 15:48
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>