60 [48.78%]
63 [51.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:15
Even if ELP is the band which has introduced me to prog and Greg Lake is the singer I like most, I still have all teh Camel discography on my reader but only 4 ELP albums are there. This is the difference.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:36
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

ELP v. Camel?  Seriously?  I dig Camel, but they’re just not in the same league as ELP.

CosmicVibration, if Hendrix would have joined ELP (unfortunately he died just before) thus HELP, I don't know but I think I'd vote ELP. I love the guitar tunes, thus my vote went to Camel. Big smile Hug Hug

HELP is a bit of myth because the drummer would have been Mitchell so it would have been HELM. Hendrix turned Emerson and Lake down so they turned to Palmer. The opening track on their debut album The Barbarian was slightly inspired by Hendrix and perhaps a case of what might have been.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:40
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Even if ELP is the band which has introduced me to prog and Greg Lake is the singer I like most, I still have all teh Camel discography on my reader but only 4 ELP albums are there. This is the difference.

so what? I have tons of Tangerine Dream and Porcupine Tree on the go but nothing they did is remotely as interesting as ELP's 1970-1974 output. ELP were never a band for longevity. They crashed and burned big time after that early period. Hitting the heights is what ELP was about. Camel was about consistency.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP v. Camel?  Seriously?  I dig Camel, but they’re just not in the same league as ELP.

CosmicVibration, if Hendrix would have joined ELP (unfortunately he died just before) thus HELP, I don't know but I think I'd vote ELP. I love the guitar tunes, thus my vote went to Camel. Big smile Hug Hug

HELP is a bit of myth because the drummer would have been Mitchell so it would have been HELM. Hendrix turned Emerson and Lake down so they turned to Palmer. The opening track on their debut album The Barbarian was slightly inspired by Hendrix and perhaps a case of what might have been.

Richard, it is a what if and no one is really is sure, except that Greg Lake has revealed that the rumors stating Jimi Hendrix was planning to join ELP are true. Jimi was planning to collaborate with Emerson, Lake and Palmer A big hug to you my sweet SmileHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:47

Richard, it is a what if and no one is really is sure, except that Greg Lake has revealed that the rumors stating Jimi Hendrix was planning to join ELP are true. Jimi was planning to collaborate with Emerson, Lake and Palmer A big hug to you my sweet SmileHug
Oh wait thinking back I am not confident what I said above too, it's all so confusing now. Confused
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:51
^ its true Kati that if Jimi had lived then there may well have been a collaboration but it would not have been a new band ( or at least its very doubtful). Hendrix wanted to expand his horizons for sure.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:54

^ its true Kati that if Jimi had lived then there may well have been a collaboration but it would not have been a new band ( or at least its very doubtful). Hendrix wanted to expand his horizons for sure.
Smile ELP needed a fab guitarist, this is all they needed to complete the band however this did not stop them from being outstanding fantastic as they had many guest guitarists too :) Big hug to you, RichardH Hug
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:59

Smile ELP needed a fab guitarist, this is all they needed to complete the band however this did not stop them from being outstanding fantastic as they had many guest guitarists too :) Big hug to you, RichardH Hug

and back at yaHug

I'm probably going out on a limb here but I love Greg Lake's lead guitar work on Tarkus ( Battlefield) and also the live version of Karn Evil 9. Also what about that lovely acoustic guitar on songs such as The Sage and From The Beginning? Honestly I don't think that ELP needed a full time guitarist. They would have just end up being some average run of the mill seventies prog band like ..ermm CamelWinkLOL

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 03:47
Second that Richard, I also love the lead guitar on Karn Evil 9 live.  I also second that ELP didn't need a lead guitarist - that was what made them innovative and creative.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 03:58
As much as I would've loved to hear it, I seriously doubt how successful a collab between Jimi and Emerson could've turned out. I mean just thinking about a splicing between the two styles literally makes my stomach turn. Complicated symph blues prog? Yikes
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:13

and back at yaHug

I'm probably going out on a limb here but I love Greg Lake's lead guitar work on Tarkus ( Battlefield) and also the live version of Karn Evil 9. Also what about that lovely acoustic guitar on songs such as The Sage and From The Beginning? Honestly I don't think that ELP needed a full time guitarist. They would have just end up being some average run of the mill seventies prog band like ..ermm CamelWinkLOL

RichardH you are so sweet! Thank you Smile to be honest I am not sure about my facts hereErmm, I always tend to reply before thinking Ermm if this may be true, great however otherwise I am sorry about this it's the nincompoop inside me, I cannot help it Ouch but you are awesome tho'! ApproveThumbs Up too fab awesome really Approveawww thank you and a big hug Hug
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:14
Oh and Camel by three votes? Cutting it pretty close. I would've thought that Camel had this, easy. Maybe this forum is getting more ELP friendly? One can only hope, and I say that as a casual admirer of Tarkus.
Truth be told, I'm not that crazy about Camel either
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:17
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Second that Richard, I also love the lead guitar on Karn Evil 9 live.  I also second that ELP didn't need a lead guitarist - that was what made them innovative and creative.

Yup, their sound was pretty dense as it was.  It made them different from the other big prog rock bands, yes, but that's hardly a bad thing.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:19
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

As much as I would've loved to hear it, I seriously doubt how successful a collab between Jimi and Emerson could've turned out. I mean just thinking about a splicing between the two styles literally makes my stomach turn. Complicated symph blues prog? Yikes
That's it! Naughty corner for you, Guldbamsen! Time out 10min, unless you change your avatar back to  Heston Blumenthal Barbecuing while wearing that hot bikini top Big smile gnack, gnack... hug Hug
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:25

That's it! Naughty corner for you, Guldbamsen! Time out 10min, unless you change your avatar back to  Heston Blumenthal Barbecuing while wearing that hot bikini top Big smile gnack, gnack... hug Hug

It's ok, I dont mind it over here. Got myself a couple of beers, Jimi at Woodstock and a half eaten sandwich to brighten my time in the naughty corner.

Seriously though, I don't think the two egos would've worked....much less the combination of two instrumentalists trying to outstage the other.

Jimi and Miles, which also was very probable constellation; now THAT is an interesting pairing

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:26
Damn this iPhone thingy. Impossible to write anything without making heads of mistakes

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:32

It's ok, I dont mind it over here. Got myself a couple of beers, Jimi at Woodstock and a half eaten sandwich to brighten my time in the naughty corner.

Seriously though, I don't think the two egos would've worked....much less the combination of two instrumentalists trying to outstage the other.

Jimi and Miles, which also was very probable constellation; now THAT is an interesting pairing
that's a very good and interesting view Guldbamsen, you might be right I think, although Jimi always wanted to progress as an artist he wanted to evolve, the record label kept him from doing that but what you said above makes sense really, too many ideas add to nothing really. We can only speculate tho' Ermm big hug Big smileHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:38

Damn this iPhone thingy. Impossible to write anything without making heads of mistakes
LOL hahaha no worries xx
don't worry Big smileHug
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 08:43

I may be a little biased here.  I have listened to everything ELP put out, both good and bad. However, I’ve only heard around 30% of Camel material and that was quite some time ago.  Never saw Camel live but have seen ELP live several times.   Thanks for all the Camel links; they are actually better than I remember.  A big Hug to you to Missy Hug

I wonder if Hendrix would have actually gelled with ELP.   I just can’t imagine ELP being taken to another level.

Miss Kati, I’m sorry but I have to ask, your sig, is it from personal experience?  LOL…

Edited by CosmicVibration - December 20 2014 at 09:14
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 09:29

I think you listened 2 or 3 ELP songs and you don't know ELP completely. Maybe I mistake about you but your posts show this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>