Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 08:30
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Any Friendsound fans in here? Pretty obscure group from the US, but man are they ever good! To me their 1969 debut 'JoyRide' (and sole release) is damn near unbeatable. Such a charmer, especially if you dig the sounds of Germany from around the same time. A true gem people!

Seconded. I just wish for a high quality CD reissue. It's high time for it.

Yeah I don't get it. Seems crazy that Friendsound is overlooked, when contemporaries The Advancement and Fifty Foot Hose both have had reissues of their sole album on cd. Between the 3, and I really dig them all, I'd still go for 'Joyride'. I think I gave it 4.5 stars, when I reviewed it, but that's just numbers. I genuinely adore that thing. Sounds like early Krautrock.....but from the StatesBig smile

One of my favourite things about the album is it's distinct naive feel - the playful and curious touch. Childsong fx is exactly that: some field recording of children playing and talking round a (guessing here) playground. Yet what makes it flow and ultimately work is the music surrounding it. The whole album is like that. Childish in all the wrong places - without ever becoming humorous.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 26 2015 at 08:41
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 08:30
^Yes, indeed! The Troll were either from Michigan or Chicago (depending on the source info) and the Animated Music  album from 1968 ran the gamut from Beatles-like pop to pseudo-psych garage rock. I still have the original vinyl LP so it might be time for an upgrade!

There were also 2-3 other garage rock bands in the sixties with a similar name like The Trolls or just Trolls that also produced some good songs. I'm really glad you included the album's title as this cut down on the usual confusion.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 16:40
Has anyone heard the group The Troll? Released a sole album titled Animated Music in 1968 containing some of the best worst garage/psych I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7fmR8FfAo

One of my favorite songs right now. So overly goofy and tongue in cheek.

Here's the whole album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgUoX2Ndlhg

Edited by Sheavy - February 25 2015 at 17:24
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 16:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Any Friendsound fans in here? Pretty obscure group from the US, but man are they ever good! To me their 1969 debut 'JoyRide' (and sole release) is damn near unbeatable. Such a charmer, especially if you dig the sounds of Germany from around the same time. A true gem people!

Seconded. I just wish for a high quality CD reissue. It's high time for it.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 16:01
In my pocket.

Something I was holding onto for knobby/permy/jacksiedanny/Kayleur before David pinned him out.

Allmusic guide album review of Days of Future Passed:

Review by  [-]

"This album marked the formal debut of the psychedelic-era Moody Blues; though they'd made a pair of singles featuring new (as of 1966) members Justin Hayward and John Lodge, Days of Future Passed was a lot bolder and more ambitious. What surprises first-time listeners -- and delighted them at the time -- is the degree to which the group shares the spotlight with the London Festival Orchestra without compromising their sound or getting lost in the lush mix of sounds. That's mostly because they came to this album with the strongest, most cohesive body of songs in their history, having spent the previous year working up a new stage act and a new body of material (and working the bugs out of it on-stage), the best of which ended up here. Decca Records had wanted a rock version of Dvorak's "New World Symphony" to showcase its enhanced stereo-sound technology, but at the behest of the band, producer Tony Clarke (with engineer Derek Varnals aiding and abetting) hijacked the project and instead cut the group's new repertory, with conductor/arranger Peter Knight adding the orchestral accompaniment and devising the bridge sections between the songs and the album's grandiose opening and closing sections. The record company didn't know what to do with the resulting album, which was neither classical nor pop, but following its release in December of 1967, audiences found their way to it as one of the first pieces of heavily orchestrated, album-length psychedelic rock to come out of England in the wake of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour albums. What's more, it was refreshingly original, rather than an attempt to mimic the Beatles; sandwiched among the playful lyricism of "Another Morning" and the mysticism of "The Sunset," songs like "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Twilight Time" (which remained in their concert repertory for three years) were pounding rockers within the British psychedelic milieu, and the harmony singing (another new attribute for the group) made the band's sound unique. With "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Nights In White Satin" to drive sales, Days of Future Passed became one of the defining documents of the blossoming psychedelic era, and one of the most enduringly popular albums of its era. On CD, its history was fairly spotty until 1997, when it was remastered by Polygram; that edition blows every prior CD release (apart from Mobile Fidelity's limited-edition disc) out of contention, though this record is likely due for another upgrade -- and probably a format jump, perhaps to DVD-Audio -- on or before its 40th anniversary in 2007."

It seemed like a waste to just toss this and I'm sure he'll back sooner or later.

Edited by SteveG - March 02 2015 at 15:59
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 14:40
British Psych Rock pioneers:
Donovan: Sunshine Superman 1966.
With so much exposition spent on American Psych Rock pioneers, I think it's time to turn to the true world effecting British pioneers.

I think that enough has been written over the years about the revolutionary nature of both the songs and the recording techniques of The Beatles' first Psychedelic Rock classic, the Revolver album from 1966. To me personally, Revolver trumps Sgt. Pepper's in overall song quality. (If only Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were included on Pepper's! Wow.)

Revolver 1966. Absolutely Revolutionary. The effect on Psych and Prog Rock? Absolutely Incalculable!

Scottish folk troubadour Donovan, one of the few musicians to be a good friend of the Beatles, released an incredible Psychedelic Folk Rock album in 1966 titled Sunshine Superman. Both album and title track single as well as album track Season of The Witch were major hits in the U.S.

Along with Revolver, Sunshine Superman was incredibly important to the development of Psych Rock, especially in the U.K., where these types of musical motifs would reinforce those found on The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's album that was to come in the following year of 1967.

Backing up his mega hits a year later with the world wide Psych Rock smash Mellow Yellow, Donavan along with the Beatles, was a true pioneer as well as being a crucial architect for the newly emerging British Psychedelic Rock genre.

Edited by SteveG - February 27 2015 at 10:10
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 12:45
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Thanks for the upcoming clarification, Steve. Since there's at least one generation gap (if not several of them) I'm on the wrong side of, it's somewhat difficult for me to really perceive The Doors and VU as part of the same culture as 13th Floor Elevators, the Beatles' later albums, early Pink Floyd or even darker heavier stuff like The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Blue Cheer. I mean, they were experimental and artistic rock music groups from that era who used a lot of drugs but I experience (pun intended or not? I'm not sure) their creative priorities as somewhat different.
I think the easiest way to look at the early American Psych Rock scene is to realize just what a large country the United States is and that many of the early Psychedelic Rock 'movements' developed independently of each other and each had a different agenda in regards to Psychedelic Rock. The very insular Texas movement that the 13th Floor Elevators and other regional Texas Psych bands evolved out of in the mid sixties, was centered around the University Of Texas in Austin which had labs that legally made LSD. These Texas band's musical influences included 50's Rock And Roll, Country, R&B, California Surf and Blues music. Their main aim in the Psych Rock stakes was to inform people via their lyrics that spiritual growth and enlightenment could be obtained through LSD use. This message was basically plastered over their own synthesis of music from their influences that came to be called Garage Rock. So they were essentially Psychedelic/Garage Rockers.
The Bay Area California groups evolved more or less independently of the Texas scene. They were mostly Folk musicians that swapped their acoustic guitars for electric ones after the cultural onslaught of The Beatles on America, as well taking cues from the Byrds and the fact that the Elevators and other Texas bands shook up the Bay Area scene with their own brand of electric guitar rock in 1966. Something that really annoyed the Bay Area folkies at the time.

These band's from California developed a different strain of what was called "acid rock" at that time, as they were initially about audience and band participation in actually taking hallucinogenic substances and the report between audience and band as they performed. This is why groups such as the Grateful Dead and Moby Grape did not have obviously spacy sounding music except for the occasionally veiled reference to drugs or getting high.

The Doors from LA were on a different track as they wanted to be both mainstream rock stars and have lyrics that delivered poetic messages. The acid community simply ate them up, especially in wake of their debut album which hinted at expanded consciousness and the fact that the band's name was based on Aldous Huxley's famous book on mind expansion titled The Doors Of Perception.

I think it's good to keep in mind that this genre and the bands that fell into it were making up the rules as they went along. There was simply no previously existing template for American Psychedelic Rock.

It's also helpful to keep in mind that the Texas scene was almost extinct as a main player in American Psych Rock by 1968, while the California band's were just really getting started.

As for as the Velvet Underground, they fell into a New York east coast area of art rockers that were adopted into the Psychedelic Movement by the music media as nothing similar existed in the NY area at that time. The VU hated being lumped in with the 'acid crowd' as their drug of choice was speed and heroin. But it was a drug none the less and their acceptance by the counter culture ended up with the group being labeled as Psych Rock. I personally never saw them that way and few acid fans that I know ever played their albums, or even owned any.(!)

This explanation is not all encompassing as it leaves out the impact that Hendrix, Cream and Vanilla Fudge had on California groups like Blue Cheer. 

So with America, it all comes down to widely separated regional Psych Rock groups with deferent agendas and styles from one another. As I stated, they made up what was American Psych Rock as they went along.

At least until the Beatles came along and defined the genre commercially as sounding like something that came off of Sgt. Pepper's.

I hope this helps.

Edited by SteveG - March 02 2015 at 15:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 12:07

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 10:36
Thanks for the upcoming clarification, Steve. Since there's at least one generation gap (if not several of them) I'm on the wrong side of, it's somewhat difficult for me to really perceive The Doors and VU as part of the same culture as 13th Floor Elevators, the Beatles' later albums, early Pink Floyd or even darker heavier stuff like The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Blue Cheer. I mean, they were experimental and artistic rock music groups from that era who used a lot of drugs but I experience (pun intended or not? I'm not sure) their creative priorities as somewhat different.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:58
^Thanks for the post Christi. As usual, I'm always thrilled to find new Psych music.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:55
Listened to Wishful Thinking yesterday, the album is called Hiroshima (1971). The title song is quite famous but the rest of the album is surprisingly good (for me). A shame the title song is the only one I could find on youtube. There are some great songs on this one.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:43
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Speaking of the entire "what is psychedelic and what isn't?" debate, then someone posting The Doors, reminds me that I'm still not sure whether to count them as part of "psychedelic music". I mean, Jim Morrison was heavily into the use of hallucinogens, and musically they kind of came from the same place but in terms of their "ideology" or perhaps more broadly I don't categorize them within that cultural movement. I think psychedelia is defined as Greek for "expansion of the mind", and The Doors were always too much inwards-looking in their music being oriented towards Jim Morrison's personal demons and psychological neuroses.

It's the same thing I discussed when The Velvet Underground and Echo & the Bunnymen were brought up. The Doors and to some extent The Velvet Underground I regard more as forerunners of the 1980s goth rock subculture, than really part of the psychedelic movement as such.
I can only reiterate that what constituted later sixties Psych Rock such as backwards guitars and cymbals, spacey songs and obvious drug lyrics is not what constituted earlier American Psych Rock as there simply was not enough Beatles, Donovan and the Count Five to go around, so not very Psych Rock sounding bands like the Doors fit in nicely. I'll recap an excellent  quote from wiki that clealy identifies the Doors as an early American Psych band, along with some other early American and British Psych bands:

Psychedelic rock is a style of rock music that is inspired or influenced by psychedelic culture and attempts to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs. It often uses new recording techniques and effects and draws on non-Western sources such as the ragas and drones of Indian music.

It was pioneered by musicians including the Beatles, the Byrds, and the Yardbirds, emerging as a genre during the mid-1960s among folk rock and blues rock bands in the United Kingdom and United States, such as Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, the Doors and Pink Floyd. It reached a peak in between 1967 and 1969 with the Summer of Love and Woodstock Rock Festival, respectively, becoming an international musical movement and associated with a widespread counterculture, before beginning a decline as changing attitudes, the loss of some key individuals and a back-to-basics movement, led surviving performers to move into new musical areas.

I hope my posts about my experiences with the 1967/68 'acid scene' may help to alleviate some of this long standing Psych/Not Psych confusion.

Edited by SteveG - February 25 2015 at 09:56
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:10
The Third Greatest Psych album and the rest of the Sixties' Top Five:
The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967. The Psych Rock template.

No surprise here as it was the Psychedelic album not only of 1967 but perhaps for all time. Sgt. Pepper's usually fell right behind the Doors' debut as next up on the turntable as The Doors album ended on a somber note with The End and a quick dose of sunshine from Sgt. Pepper's opening two tracks was the cure just before listening to the LSD anthem Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, which was de rigueur for any Freak In. As Sgt. Pepper's itself ended with the jarring A Day In The Life, Pepper's was almost always followed by the American mock stereo LP version of  Magical Mystery Tour, which featured Lennon's manically bizarre wordplaying classic I Am The Walrus and ended with the 'Summer Of Love' anthem All You Need Is Love.

MMT: Number 5 on the Psych list after Are You Experienced?

I would place MMT as number five after the continually falling set opener Are You Experienced? at number four. If Hendrix's debut had been a live album, who knows where he'd be on this list.

Other albums in Freak In rotation included some the usual suspects like 5th Dimension by The Byrds, In Search of the Lost Chord by the Moody Blues, The Doors' second album, Axis: Bold as Love by Hendrix and company, The Velvet Underground with Nico as well as pioneering British Psych Rock albums such as Revolver By The Beatles and Sunshine Superman by Donovan. A sprinkling  of Hard Rock albums also hit the turntables occasionally like Tommy from The Who.

By the end of the summer of 1968, the acid craze was rapidly dying off as stories of acid casualties such as known rock figures like Brian Wilson became common knowledge, along with personal stories of family and friends that fell victim to acid's destructive potential.

A paradigm shift in Rock Music in mid 1968 to heaver sounds such as In-a-godda-da-vidda by Iron Butterfly along with the Beatles public abandonment of the drug and backed up with their release of the anti psychedelic "White Album" in fall of 1968 seemed to be the last nail in the coffin of the acid kick.

The drug was still in use well into the first two years of the seventies as evidenced by the numerous bad "brown  acid" warnings in the 1969 film Woodstock.

The main point of these three highly subjective posts was to show the brief symbiotic relationship between the use of psychedelics and the music that was made for listening while taking those drugs, or in some cases, albums that were simply adopted into the Psych Rock canon.

This was also done the dispel the misconception that Psychedelic Rock was created only for interests of it's mind altered creators. This music was designed for the people with the implied massage that it was ok to follow paths of chemical enlightenment, or have an interactive listening experience, before the pitfalls of following that path came to light. And the lights went on rather quickly, which no doubt greatly benefited many young followers of the counter culture movement at that time. If only harder drugs like heroin could have lost favor as well.

Edited by SteveG - February 26 2015 at 11:56
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 07:52
Go ahead, a****le.

Destroy it for everyone else.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 07:34
Is that you Wallace?

- Douglas Adams
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 07:27
Someone brought up Echo and Bunnymen as being PSYCHEDELIC?

I must of missed that.

May God frustrate that poster forever.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 05:25
Speaking of the entire "what is psychedelic and what isn't?" debate, then someone posting The Doors, reminds me that I'm still not sure whether to count them as part of "psychedelic music". I mean, Jim Morrison was heavily into the use of hallucinogens, and musically they kind of came from the same place but in terms of their "ideology" or perhaps more broadly I don't categorize them within that cultural movement. I think psychedelia is defined as Greek for "expansion of the mind", and The Doors were always too much inwards-looking in their music being oriented towards Jim Morrison's personal demons and psychological neuroses.

It's the same thing I discussed when The Velvet Underground and Echo & the Bunnymen were brought up. The Doors and to some extent The Velvet Underground I regard more as forerunners of the 1980s goth rock subculture, than really part of the psychedelic movement as such.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 03:22
If you like psychedelic doom metal in the vein of Sleep, Ufomammut, Yob and their ilk you owe yourself to listen to Elder. They started out as not far off from basically a Sleep clone, but have now developed their own style very quickly.

The entire retro-psychedelic doom metal style is pretty damn overpopulated, to the point I think there are more 21st century practitioners of it than were 1960s/1970s psychedelic hard rock bands that movement imitates, so it's nice to hear a new band doing something distinctive with it. Even if they aren't as ambitious as Yob.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 13:28
^Spoken like a true seventies double album connoisseur.LOL  I agree that it's a classic compilation album.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 11:02
I prefer Strange Days to The Doors debut, but as I am a stoner from the 70s, the really great psychedelic rendition is the compilation Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine (released 1972), which is so much better than your average overplayed greatest hits package; in fact, it contains most of the trippy Doors songs and has only a few actual hits.

This was quite good from a partying perspective as you could listen to a whole side of great psychedelia while tripping. For instance, side four had Riders on the Storm, Maggie M'Gill, Horse Latitudes and When the Music's Over (you can't beat a set like that). In a primitive world where there were no playlists, iTune clouds or boxed CDs, having an album like that meant you didn't have to get up from being one with the sofa. Perfect album cover as well from a watercolor perspective and as a double-album de-seeder.Wink

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>