Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Psych Rock Lounge
    Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:21

Sure there's a tongue stuck firmly in cheek here, but I genuinely adore the psychedelic sounds of the 60s and 70s. It was my first real musical love and for that it will always hold a very special place in my knee. 

The Steve Miller Band, Cream, The United States Of America, Red Krayola, Dr John: The Night Tripper, The 13th Floor Elevators, Small Faces, Traffic, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, Ultimate Spinach, Burnin' Red Ivanhoe, Young Flowers, Steppeulvene, The Electric Prunes, The Chocolate Watch Band, Love, Ten Years After (Stonedhenge baby!), Blue Cheer and Jimi and Jim and Janis and all those other fantastic creatures from a time and place that was absolutely magical (flowers aside).
This is the thread for all your faves, old and young, because a marvellous forum like this will of course also be able to embrace all of the throwback madness that's been going on in recent years with acts such as Tame Impala, Pond, Foxygen, Temples, The Soundcarriers, Ariel Pink and The Flaming LipsSmile

Go on, let's have it! What are your experiences with this wonderful branch of rock music?

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 15 2014 at 10:28
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:25
WE DON'T WANT NO STINKIN THREAD
WE WANT A WHOLE FORUM DEDICATED TO THIS TOPIC
AFTER ALL IT'S MORE PROGRESSIVE THAN bla bla bla bla

Sorry, lost my cool there for a moment.
BUT THAT'S OKAY FOR MEE!

BECAUSE I AM A WILD AND CRAZY GUY!

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:29
^Thanks Dave, but I hope that the ultimate purpose of listing experimental psych groups under PA's Psychedelic Space Rock genre is what this site accomplishes in the long term.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:30
LOL

Reminds me of the guy who once said something clever about greasing the camel...

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:32
Im not sure his will qualify - but !!

Edited by tamijo - December 15 2014 at 10:33
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:32
It's... it's... happening!

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Thanks Dave, but I hope that the ultimate purpose of listing experimental psych groups under PA's Psychedelic Space Rock genre is what this site accomplishes in the long term.

That will never happen Steve. Ok maybe, but it would take a complete change of personnel as well as an entirely new site. Sorry, I know how much you believe in this, but I am in full agreement with Uwe (Rivertree) who is 'ringleader' of the psych team. 

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:38
One of Ariel Pink's more psychedelic moments.  All the more remarkable because it was created just by overdubbing himself at home.  A great example of how "lo-fi" recording can really add to the value of a piece of music.  Release date was circa 2006, but it sounds much older to me.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 15 2014 at 10:40

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:41

Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Headstone. The 13th floor Elevators never released first album featuring clean recordings of the band's classic material from The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13 FE's first muddy sounding album and showcases why Roky Erickson is perhaps America's  greatest rock vocalist. Just slightly Psych at this stage but if you were  taken by the band's appearance and back story on Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways series on HBO and want to explore this true American musical cult phenomenon, then this is the place to start.

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:15
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 11:29
Hey this is was great idea! As usual in PA Forum!

Coincidently I listened the whole morning to a band that has become one of my favourites: I'm talking about The Doors, they are awesome ! Glad to recall them here and there.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 14:23
I'm pretty sure the 13th Floor Elevators were the very first music group to identify their own style as "psychedelic". The behind-the-scenes history of not just Roky Erickson's life but the careers of the other musicians also reads like something straight out of Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 14:46
^Thanks for the uplink on the Elevators, TM. They always had a great story that sometimes overshadowed the music. I hope that people will come to appreciate them more, now. 

And the 'It's a happening' vid was so good that I had a flashback. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 16:14
The 13th Floor Elevators also made 'Slip inside this House'Heart Funny thing is that I love the cover done by Primal Scream just as muchBig smile

- Douglas Adams
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 16:35
I love 60's/70's psych though I'm not an afficionado like others here...I grew up on 60's top 40 radio and psych was a good chunk of what was popular.  It's funny, I've always thought there was a very fine line between psych and early prog to the point that I don't really distinguish between them Wink
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 08:05
A lounge within a lounge is not a lounge Wink

An annex or room perhaps Ermm

A 'lounge' ought to be subject to PA approval. Well I guess it is sort of, given that Guldbamsen initiated the thread Confused

Edited by earlyprog - December 16 2014 at 08:11
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 09:25
^Ok, enough of that. On with the show!

If there's any current pop rock group more misunderstood than the Flaming Lips, I would like to meet them.

Formed as an Alt Rock group some 30 years ago by the Coyne brothers and joined by an multi instrumentalist who took the job as their drummer, the Flaming Lips exuded a psych pop vibe while remaining brother Wayne Coyne wrote existential lyrics that were hidden by  both their music and "the world is a giant party" day glow persona. This netted the group the critically acclaimed 2002 album Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots which sold well and was backed with two similar albums before the band took a serious detour and produced two albums that were both musically and lyrically existential. 2009's Embryonic and 2013's The Terror evoked Popol Vuh like soundscapes of dread, from multi instrumentalist Steven Drzod, now coupled with Coyne's dark  and cynical lyrics. One song from The Terror starts off with the line "You've got a lot of nerve to F___ with me."

From the Flaming Lips? Really? Yes.

However, all of this putting the band into some kind of schizophrenic identity.

Solution to the problem? The Lips remake Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in their own image and call the album "With a Little Help From My Fwends" (The spelling is correct).

Is it any good? I think so as I did not feel an urge to play the original after hearing it.

I think that The Lips found a way to merge their musical personalities on this one coupled with, what I suspect, is part lo fi home recording mixed with hi fi studio trickery to give the album an almost 3D sound effect.

But I think the trick is not to take album seriously.  After all, the Flaming Lips never took themselves seriously either.
With A Little Help From My Fwends CD The Flaming Lips

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:18
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 09:37
The Flaming Lips' evolution has been remarkable, but it has also been very gradual, punctuated every ten years or so with a more pronounced leap forward.  I listened to them in the late 80s in college, and I never would have dreamed they would still be around today, let alone leading the pack of experimental pop.

I've hopped on/off board and followed them loosely ever since then, but I don't think I really considered myself a true fan until their recent abrasive Krautrock phase kicked in a few years ago.  Once I got that, I had a more sympathetic view towards their other albums leading up to it.  On paper, they're not doing anything overly crazy or complex. But the mere fact that they can come up with all these random ideas in the first place, and then actually put these crazy whims into practice, and turn them into enjoyable albums, is a pretty impressive feat. 

The 4 CD simultaneous experiment of "Zaireeka" seems like a pretty obvious gimmick now that it's actually been done, but can you imagine what leaps of logic and imagination were necessary to actually give birth to the idea and to the finished product?

Edited by HolyMoly - December 16 2014 at 09:40

-Kehlog Albran
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 13:55
The Lips are pretty great. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is a wonderful album of light, happy neo-psych. And The Soft Bulletin is just masterful; we got a lot from their first trip into psych.

Heck, if it weren't for In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, then The Soft Bulletin would've probably ended up the ITCOTCK for American indie.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The 13th Floor Elevators also made 'Slip inside this House'Heart Funny thing is that I love the cover done by Primal Scream just as muchBig smile

On the subject of Roky Erickson, how many of his solo albums are worth hearing? I quite enjoy Roky Erickson and the Aliens and Gremlins Have Pictures, not quite sold on the acoustic albums yet though.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:48
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

On the subject of Roky Erickson, how many of his solo albums are worth hearing? I quite enjoy Roky Erickson and the Aliens and Gremlins Have Pictures, not quite sold on the acoustic albums yet though.
I used to have an album of his called "Don't Slander Me" which was pretty good.  It came out in the 80s and is pretty good raw rock and roll.  Apart from that, I have a 2 CD compilation of Roky (solo and with the Elevators) called "I Have Always Been Here Before" that appears to be a good cross section of his career.  Overall Roky Erickson hasn't really captured my affections all that much (a handful of Elevators songs notwithstanding), but that compilation is good to have in case I need more convincing.

http://www.amazon.com/Have-Always-Been-Here-Before/dp/B0007MRXUG

Edited by HolyMoly - December 16 2014 at 14:49

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>