Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:56
here we go - the psych rock lounge has been opened Handshake
let me propose a typical band which is really excellent, though can't be filed under the progressive rock tag - Tame Impala

Edited by Rivertree - December 16 2014 at 14:57

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:57
Here is a death metal cover of a Roky Erickson song by the way, I'm kind of surprised there aren't more considering the horror B-movie themes in a good deal of his solo discography. I like that they actually preserve a sort of psychedelic feel with the way the interweaving feedback from the guitar and bass are used. (something Autopsy have also utilized to great effect, not sure if they're actually inspired by Roky though)

Edited by Toaster Mantis - December 17 2014 at 02:54
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 15:03
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

here we go - the psych rock lounge has been opened Handshake
let me propose a typical band which is really excellent, though can't be filed under the progressive rock tag - Tame Impala

Truly wonderful band. Lonerism is a masterpiece, and I love this one description I got of it once: "This sounds like The Beatles making a Radiohead album."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 16:34
^Thanks for the videos, guys. Tame Impala is awesome but this is the first time I've seen the vid, and I didn't know Entombed did a cover of Vampire, which was way cool.

And have to thank David for the Primal Scream cover of Slip Inside. Now I'm into Primal Scream, again.

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:19
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 03:22
Tame Impala remind me a bit of Spiritualized or some of the other overtly psychedelic/spacy 1980s/1990s indie rock groups but with a more selfconsciously retro production... perhaps also less Velvet Underground-isms.

Do the VU count as psychedelic, by the way? I'm not really sure, ideologically they were very different from that subculture but on the other hand they were a large influence on it in particular the Kosmische Musik movement. (I prefer that classification to "Krautrock" for several reasons)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 03:34
Just an idear : Delete the videolink when quoting
No need to post the same video link again
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 04:18
Judged solely by how they sounded, I'd say VU were psychedelic in their approach. Venus in Furs is one of the most iconic psych tunes of the 60s together with White Rabbit. There was and is obviously a lot more to their music, but more than often you get that gooey thick wobbly carpet-like sound of theirs, and to me that first and foremost screams psych.

And I agree, they did influence a fair few Krautrock acts from the motorik end of the scene. Throw in Ummagumma and the Saucerful of Secrets piece, and you wind up with (some of) the fuel that started the fire. Personally I think the mindset of the time, still with a major hangover from WWll, was to blame for the explorative and wild nature of the music. Something had to give.

In many ways the same can be said about the birth of the psych scene. It's crazy when you think of how much brilliant and boundary pushing music that has been made in the face of violence and war.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 04:29
VU are in a similar position as The Doors in that while using many of the same stylistic innovations as the psychedelic rock scene, in terms of "ethos" they came from a different perspective. Looking at the two bands' ideologies they strike me more as forerunners of respectively the noise rock and gothic rock movements of the 1980s. Similar situation as The Stooges' relationship to punk, for that matter.

I guess it depends on how much you define music genres as specific sounds or styles, versus how much you define them as cultural movements.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 04:44
Approve
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 05:06
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

A lounge within a lounge is not a lounge Wink

An annex or room perhaps Ermm

A 'lounge' ought to be subject to PA approval. Well I guess it is sort of, given that Guldbamsen initiated the thread Confused
David has the ability to create a sub-forum/lounge ... I suspect he just doesn't know how.  Wink

Meanwhile, an early British Psych band (from my home town to boot)

Edited by Dean - December 17 2014 at 05:09
What?
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:55
^'lounge' ought to be replaced with a more appropriate term in the thread title before it blows up in our faces.

It was created with good intentions but if it continues under the radar I fear it will eventually end up as an official/actual/real lounge.

This is how the site slowly deteriorates.

SteveG probably hasn't stopped rubbing his hands since the creation of this 'lounge'.

Edited by earlyprog - December 17 2014 at 09:31
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 09:16
The only difference between a lounge and a thread is comfier chairs.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:31
The new Foxygen album, ...And Star Power, is pretty wierd Psych, especial when you get past the first 3-4 tracks.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:46
VU & The Doors is Psych in my book, even though the style is a bit different from the main Psych sound, (if such a thing exist)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:49
There are of course a lot of good psych rock bands out there from the old days and some good new ones also...2 of my favorites from  the late 80's,...

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:38
Of course! The Bevis Frond.  Andy Ward (ex-Camel) was their drummer for quite a while.  Love the Frond.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

David has the ability to create a sub-forum/lounge ... I suspect he just doesn't know how.  Wink

[/QUOTE] Dean, thanks for the video and the support and also for introducing properly to the Fingers as I've never heard their work.

If this thread can introduce some members to artists just outside of prog (and that includes me) without upsetting the PA apple cart, I will be very grateful just for that. And I definitely had the Dukes in mind for this thread. Thanks again.

Edited by SteveG - December 17 2014 at 16:19
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:56
Just to follow up on the Dukes of the Stratosphere video. For those unfamiliar with the group, The Dukes Of The Strastophere is a nom de disc for English new wavers XTC, who put out an EP and full length album of
of fun pysch pop that references Barrett era Floyd, Walrus era Beatles and many others 60's era pysch rock groups like the Zombies and The Move. Pictured above is a reissue of 1985's EP 25 O'clock that comes in a cool mini book with liner notes that mimic Floyd's CD liner notes for their Piper album. 

The 1987 Psonic Psunspots album is also available in a mini book CD format. Both albums are also available on vinyl.

If you like XTC along with prog music, these two albums are a lot of fun and stand up musically on their own.

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:20
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 16:04
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

The new Foxygen album, ...And Star Power, is pretty wierd Psych, especial when you get past the first 3-4 tracks.

Not surprising as they're one of  guest artists on the new Flaming Lips album "With a Little Help from my Fwends".
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:05
White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground.
When PA members ask if VU should be considered proto prog, no doubt it's this 1868 album that that comes to the fore of the discussion. After splitting off with Nico after VU's debut album, the band signed an endorsement contract with effects manufacturer Vox. Using every conceivable effects processor from that company, the group recorded the extremely advant garde White Light/White Heat album (the name may have been prompted by producing white noise in the studio which in 1968 was a nightmare to record). The album's standout  track is the seventeen and a half minute long proto prog epic Sister Ray.

The album's black on black cover seems like an answer to The Beatles' "white album" cover design.

This album was a giant step away from psych toward early American prog. However the term progressive in 1968 only referred to American revisionist politics. So unless something changes, sixties psych rock is this album's worthy home.

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>