Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:34
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Live-At-Berke-Jimi-Hendrix-Experie

Love all the Hendrix live material, especially that Berkeley show. Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 16:53
Interesting how we all view these various artists.....for instance growing up listening to these bands when they were happening I never thought of Cream or Hendrix as 'psychedelic rock' but more as just  rock with blues and psych elements.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 22:49
Just blind bought Musik, Die Schwer Zu Twerk off your rec, Steve, and it's awesome. Thumbs Up

Sounds like a mix of psychedelic and proggy takes on not just rock, but also glitch and neo-Hi-NRG. Very unique and enjoyable.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Interesting how we all view these various artists.....for instance growing up listening to these bands when they were happening I never thought of Cream or Hendrix as 'psychedelic rock' but more as just  rock with blues and psych elements.
No wonder 'psychedelic rock' is virtually an undefinable genre. 'Get-stoned-to music' ('Got-stoned-to') seems to be the best description of the music, which really could mean any genre of music.

Edited by earlyprog - December 22 2014 at 06:48
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:25
I think of psychedelic rock as more of a "cultural movement" than a genre of music. That's the reason I said earlier in this thread that I'm not sure whether to count The Doors and Velvet Underground as part of it: In terms of lyrical themes, visual aesthetic and overall guiding philosophy they seem to have come from a somewhat different place than most of the groups mentioned here.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:51
that Hendrix Berkeley show is fantastic, and the Live at the Fillmore East set is awesome too Thumbs Up Clap

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:59
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

that Hendrix Berkeley show is fantastic, and the Live at the Fillmore East set is awesome too Thumbs Up Clap

Clap Indeed it is. I always thought the Fillmore East concert was his best moment not only because of his playing but also due to his very tight band. Buddy Miles really made a lot of difference, the songs became more powerful and punchy with his drumming.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 06:06
Did I put a mention in for my band, here ?
Latest album
https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/album/trip-hazard 

:-)

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I think of psychedelic rock as more of a "cultural movement" 
Yeah, that seems more like the proper approach to psychedelic rock. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Clap Indeed it is. I always thought the Fillmore East concert was his best moment not only because of his playing but also due to his very tight band. Buddy Miles really made a lot of difference, the songs became more powerful and punchy with his drumming.
Sorry, I excluded the superior Live at the Fillmore with Band of Gypsys (a Freudian slip as the group recordedStar was actually the Band Of Gypsys). It is indeed a killer performance, so...
Jimi Hendrix Live at the Fillmore East album cover
Hendrix: Live At The Fillmore. StarStarStarStarStar

Edited by SteveG - December 22 2014 at 13:34
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:58
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Just blind bought Musik, Die Schwer Zu Twerk off your rec, Steve, and it's awesome. Thumbs Up

Sounds like a mix of psychedelic and proggy takes on not just rock, but also glitch and neo-Hi-NRG. Very unique and enjoyable.
Glad you enjoyed the Electric Wurms, Lear.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 10:17
Psychedelic Rock: Definition.
Just a snippet from Wikipedia describing some of Psychedelic Rock's numerous traits including sound styles and characteristics. (You can view the whole enchilada at Wiki) 

Psychedelic rock is a style of rock music that is inspired or influenced by psychedelic culture and attempts to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs. It often uses new recording techniques and effects and draws on non-Western sources such as the ragas and drones of Indian music.

It was pioneered by musicians including the Beatlesthe Byrds, and the Yardbirds, emerging as a genre during the mid-1960s among folk rock and blues rock bands in the United Kingdom and United States, such as Grateful DeadJefferson Airplanethe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceCreamthe Doors and Pink Floyd. It reached a peak in between 1967 and 1969 with the Summer of Love and Woodstock Rock Festival, respectively, becoming an international musical movement and associated with a widespread counterculture, before beginning a decline as changing attitudes, the loss of some key individuals and a back-to-basics movement, led surviving performers to move into new musical areas.

Psychedelic rock influenced the creation of psychedelic pop and psychedelic soul. It also bridged the transition from early blues- and folk music-based rock to progressive rockglam rockhard rock and as a result influenced the development of subgenres such as heavy metal. Since the late 1970s it has been revived in various forms of neo-psychedelia. 

• Characteristics
sitar, much used on early records of the genre.

As a musical style psychedelic rock attempted to replicate the effects of and enhance the mind-altering experiences of hallucinogenic drugs, incorporating new electronic and recording effects, extended solos and improvisation and was particularly influenced by eastern mysticism, reflected in use of exotic instrumentation, particularly from Indian music or the incorporation of elements of eastern music. Major features include:

I would say that the genre is a bit more than just a cultural phenomenon as it was also deeply sociological at times, with particular artists that I will explore in future posts.

Edited by SteveG - December 22 2014 at 13:32
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 13:53

Doors: Feast of Friends

The Doors released a never seen documentary on themselves last week that was not made available to the public until now. The DVD and Blu-ray releases feature some cool extras described below.

Feast Of Friends, filmed in 1968, was the first and only film produced about The Doors by The Doors. It offers a cinematic look at The Doors on the road during their summer 68 tour. While never truly completed, the film provides a stylistic approach in true sixties cinémavérité style. Concert performances are intercut with fly-on-the-wall footage of the group in their natural habitat, sometimes playful, sensitive, chaotic and touching. Other than a few appearances in film festivals in 1968, an official release would never be seen until now. Completely restored from the original negative, as supervised by Jim Morrison, the film has been color corrected and cleaned in high definition with the soundtrack totally remixed and remastered by long-time Doors collaborator Bruce Botnick.

Bonus Features
1) Feast Of Friends: Encore A newly produced feature using footage shot for Feast Of Friends, Encore is a complimentary piece which provides a deeper look into the life of the band at this period as they tour, record, travel and even vacation together. The program avoids the typical selection of hits and makes use of The Doors rare recordings to accompany this unreleased footage.
2) The Doors Are Open A British TV documentary originally aired on December 17th, 1968, The Doors Are Open is focused around the band s performance at London s Roundhouse, which took place just days after the completion of filming for Feast Of Friends. Although previously released, the film has suffered from numerous sound and picture quality issues. Now the image quality has been dramatically improved and the sound has been transformed by Bruce Botnick to be as true to the original live sound as possible.
3) The End Filmed in Toronto, Canada in August 1967 and first broadcast in October that year, this performance of 'The End' was for The O'Keefe Centre Presents: The Rock Scene Like It Is. In addition to the performance it includes the introduction by Noel Harrison and later interviews by John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek and Danny Sugerman. Many fans consider this recording to be one of the best Doors performances ever caught on film.

Edited by SteveG - December 22 2014 at 14:02
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:00
^ Wow.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:01
^I know what I want for Christmas! LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:11
Happy Holidays Everyone! Beer
After the holidays we'll take a closer look at the Elevators' remastered 2nd and 3rd albums, a closer look at Country Joe and the Fish's psychedelic trips, Roky Erickson's 'best of' album The Evil One (also remastered), Brain Wilson's beautifully completed Brian Wilson Presents Smile, as well neo-psych from  The Teardrop Explodes and current standard bearers Tame Impala.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 15:28

First brought to my attention on The Krautrock Space, this is a wonderful piece of psychkraut, driven almost solely by keys. On top of that the guitarist and singers shine at times to great effect. Album opener "The Summit" is essential classic psych.

Edited by Lear'sFool - December 22 2014 at 15:29
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 03:12
Here's some Australian psychedelic hard rock somewhere between Blue Cheer and Black Sabbath. Also kinda reminds me of Flower Travellin' Band.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

First brought to my attention on The Krautrock Space, this is a wonderful piece of psychkraut, driven almost solely by keys. On top of that the guitarist and singers shine at times to great effect. Album opener "The Summit" is essential classic psych.

I really dig this one too. It's commonly named together with the rest of the 'faux Krautrock' releases such as 

Golem - Orion Awakes

Mittelwinternacht

Pyramid
The Nazgul

Galactic Explorers

I say faux Krautrock, because all of these were recorded in the 90s but with the intent of posing as long lost gems from the 70s. Many people fell for it - and still do to this day.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 23 2014 at 14:00
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 14:59
^Neo Krautrock?

Naaah.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>