Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^No Steve Miller posts yet except in passing. I was expecting Svetonio to jump on that as early SM is one of his favs, but no input yet. But Steve Miller is definitely coming to the Psych lounge soon, as he fits in with Brit Psych posts as I'm pretty sure that both his first two albums were recorded in the U.K. And that mellotron!

Hmm....again it's interesting how people see these early albums. I never thought of Steve Miller as psych.....there are some psych elements on his first 2 albums but they aren't psych albums per se.
To me he has always been a pop rock guy with some psych and blues thrown in for good measure.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:32
How about the Small Faces' Ogden's Nut Gone Flake ??
And Soft Machine's debut ? Perhaps even Kevin Ayers' Joy Of A Toy. They all reek of Psych, to my understanding.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:42
This solo album by former The Other Half and Blue Cheer guitarist Randy Holden is a brilliant, overlooked piece of heavy psych that I just heard for the first time last night. Unbelievable!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

After Bathing At Baxter's is more Psych than Surrealistic Pillow IMHO.
The Stones' Satanic Majesties out-psychs Sgt. Pepper's.

So true, so true.

Also, yes, we really should talk about Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. That opening cut is killer, man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 08:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

How about the Small Faces' Ogden's Nut Gone Flake ??
And Soft Machine's debut ? Perhaps even Kevin Ayers' Joy Of A Toy. They all reek of Psych, to my understanding.
I've had to cut short my British Psych Rock posts Tom in order to take care of some family concerns. I would have loved to have expounded on the fantastic Ogden's Nut and Soft Machine's wonderful debut album. Perhaps if you have the time, you or Kevin, can post these two albums for PA members that are unfamiliar with them. I'm sure Prog lovers would appreciate these two albums. Especially the 1st from SM. Cheers mate. Thumbs Up
Oh, and I corrected my post on the end of psych to include JA's After Bathing at Baxter's which completely slipped my mind. Embarrassed However, I'm not sure Satanic Majesties' would remain in anyone's consciousness as it was very similar to the public's rush to purchase JT's A Passion Play when that album was first released, as it was as quickly ignored after just like APP was. I personally think that the album is great!

Edited by SteveG - March 02 2015 at 09:31
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 09:14
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

This solo album by former The Other Half and Blue Cheer guitarist Randy Holden is a brilliant, overlooked piece of heavy psych that I just heard for the first time last night. Unbelievable!
Pop 2 from 1969 is a blast and would have even given Hendrix a run for his money! Thanks for sharing that Doug!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:52
Forever Changes
Love: Forever Changes from 1967.

An incredible album of lightly orchestrated symphonic folk rock that was rudely overlooked during the summer of love. Strangely, the album Forever Changes was composed and performed by a racially integrated California band named Love.

There were many heady and high profile bands during the Summer Of Love that may have simply overshadowed this release. Sgt. Pepper's, the first and second Door's albums and freakin' Jimi Hendrix man!

Where did Love fit into this heady mix? I think that their love trip was a bit too mellow and baroque for the public at large. After producing two electric guitar based proto punkish albums, this collection of infectious songs were written by band leader Arthur Lee, a black American, and white band mate Bryan Mclean.

Layered with acoustic guitars, and sweetened with celeste on several tracks, all the songs received tasteful accompanying orchestrations that filled holes in songs purposefully left their by their creators. I know because I've heard some of the finest musicians and singers in the world try to reproduce these songs sans orchestrations and they simply do not work.

The production was handled Electra Records and Door's producer Paul Rothschild, along with his trusty engineering sidekick, Bruce Botnick. As a result, this album shares the same anemic bass sound and flatness that dominated the Door's debut album.

But it does let the music breath and all  the subtle and lush orchestrations on this album really shine and are quite stunning and dreamy at times. Something that killed the heavy handed orchestrations and bizarre counter melodies that ruined Phil Ochs' debut album for the A&M label titled Pleasures of the Harbor, released around the same time.

Standout tracks on Forever Changes include the deftly cleaver opener Alone Again Or (a slice of pure psych pop heaven) and the grittier ode to junkies tune Bummer in the Summer.

Forever Changes is musically endearing because the quality of the music never changes. A hidden gem during the Summer of Love but essential music listening for all rock lovers of all times.

This post is for Greg for leaving the last slice of pizza.

Edited by SteveG - March 03 2015 at 16:17
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 15:18

Now this is a strange one.

Past one of the grooviest openers ever with the title track, we have a first side that mixes some out there heavy rock, psychified knees-up, and a soul influenced track... and then a second side that dives into a surreal fairy tale told in gobbledygook that features slang of the time.

In some parts, it feels like the only tougher listens are Zappa and Beefheart records.

This is also very much fantastic, and there's nothing else like it. It comes highly recommended, especially for the title track and that second side.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 02:01
Happiness Stan
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 11:10
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Now this is a strange one.

Past one of the grooviest openers ever with the title track, we have a first side that mixes some out there heavy rock, psychified knees-up, and a soul influenced track... and then a second side that dives into a surreal fairy tale told in gobbledygook that features slang of the time.

In some parts, it feels like the only tougher listens are Zappa and Beefheart records.

This is also very much fantastic, and there's nothing else like it. It comes highly recommended, especially for the title track and that second side.

Always liked that one ...had it when it came out but didn't get one of the round box albums that came out in a limited supply.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 04 2015 at 11:20
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:34
Rolling Stones:
Their Satanic Majesties Request 1967.
Was it smothered by Magical Mystery Tour?

In December of 1967, The Rolling Stones released their long awaited follow up to Between The Buttons, and the public was surprised to find a very Sgt. Pepperish looking LP cover with what most considered to be the Stones' take on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heats Club Band by The Beatles. The album was actually The Stones'  own take on 1960's psychedelic rock, and perhaps because it didn't sound like a Sgt. Pepper's clone,  the public may have thought that The Stones get it wrong.

The album made the top 1 and 2 spots on either side of the Atlantic Ocean but was quickly put aside and very rarely played after being purchased. The Beatles also released Magical Mystery Tour as an EP in the UK and a full 'mock' stereo album in the US a the same time as Their Satanic Majesties Request was released.  The US album version of MMT, aside from featuring the fantastic Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane, it also featured the unofficial Summer Of Love anthem All You Ned Is Love.

Taken on it's own merits (and taking into account The Stones' legal hassles that they were involved with in the fall of 1967 in the UK), the album is truly The Stones' unique take and interpretation on the late sixties British psychedelic rock sound.

Mixed in with The Stones' now de rigueur use of hand percussion such as maracas and conga drums, Indian instrumentation such as sitar and tablas were added along with full orchestrations. Also added was the effective use of a mellotron by none other than the late Brian Jones.

This heady mix works extremely well on songs such as the hit She's a Rainbow as well as killler album tracks such as the hard riff driven Citadel and the space/raga voyage of 2000 Miles From Home, which effectively mixed the Indian inner space travel genre with Pink Floyd's extra vehicular excursions found on Floyd's album Piper at the Gates of Dawn which was released in August of 1967.

Treated by most psych aficionados as a novelty piece, Their Satanic Majesties Request may actually out psych Sgt. Pepper's. If you don't think, then just ask Tom Orzic. But I'm not sure anything on TSNR tops I Am The Walrus from MMT. So, it seems The Beatles are still up by one on The Stones, as far as British Psych rock goes. However, I think they were losing points to Pink Floyd by this point, and knew it.

Did MMT steal Their Majesties' thunder?

This post is for Tom, who knows good British Psych.

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2015 at 14:54
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 16:16
^   Why Thank-You SteveG
(But I still don't know how to put up pics/links - via my iPod that I'm using.......)
Almost forgot to say that whilst both of these are great albums, I prefer MMT over Sgt. Pepper's - Blue Jay Way is a knock-out.

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 06 2015 at 16:19
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 19:58
^You're welcome, Tom. And I think Sgt. pepper's is very overrated, btw. Shocked

Oh, oh! My wife's yelling at me to get off the PC. Gotta run!  Embarrassed (Yes, dear. I'm coming.)

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2015 at 19:59
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 22:36

^You're welcome, Tom. And I think Sgt. pepper's is very overrated, btw. Shocked

Oh, oh! My wife's yelling at me to get off the PC. Gotta run!  Embarrassed (Yes, dear. I'm coming.)

Aren't you a lucky, obedient hubby! LOL Yeah, but you have prog, does she? Embarrassed
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:31
^Yes indeed! My wife's an ex-Brit and is quite an expert on British traditional folk  music and sixties/seventies era British folk rock. She has turned me on to a lot of the British greats like Davy Graham, Anne Briggs, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, The Pentangle, early Steeleye Span, and countless others, so there's always a positive to go along with any negative in my marriage! LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:03
21st Century Psychedelic Man:
Tame Impala: Lonerism 2014.
As is common in current music trends, Tame Impala is the name of another one man indie band that feature's young Aussie Kevin Parker. That in itself is not impressive, but the fact that Tame Impala are fast becoming the Neo-psychedelic band of the 21st century is.

Parker started off by releasing a self titled EP in 2008 before releasing a full length album in 2010 titled Innerspeaker. Both the EP and album featured spacy atmospheric Shoegaze styled guitar rock, and were both well received in Parker's native Australia. Boyed by his success, Parker branched out on his follow up album, 2014's Lonerism, to include real synths in Tame Impala's songs along with his already well used sonic tricks adding of phasing, echo, delay and flanging effects to both his music and vocals. Innerspeaker was actually recorded without synthesizers, with Parker using only pitch shifting of his guitar phrases in order to simulate synth sounds and studio signal flanging.

Another great plus to Parker's sonic arsenal is his vocal resemblance to the late John Lennon, which is no doubt tailor made for Psych Rock music.

Highlights to Lonerism include an unintentional mini suite of songs that include Music to Walk Home By, Why Don't They Talk To Me and the incredibly melodic and catchy Feels Like We Only Go Backwards.

This is simply excellent Neo-psych. Even for an old dog like me.

Edited by SteveG - March 07 2015 at 12:06
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 19:05

Forever Changes

An incredible album of lightly orchestrated symphonic folk rock that was rudely overlooked during the summer of love. Strangely, the album Forever Changes was composed and performed by a racially integrated California band named Love.

There were many heady and high profile bands during the Summer Of Love that may have simply overshadowed this release. Sgt. Pepper's, the first and second Door's albums and freakin' Jimi Hendrix man!

Where did Love fit into this heady mix? I think that their love trip was a bit too mellow and baroque for the public at large. After producing two electric guitar based proto punkish albums, this collection of infectious songs were written by band leader Arthur Lee, a black American, and white band mate Bryan Mclean.

Layered with acoustic guitars, and sweetened with celeste on several tracks, all the songs received tasteful accompanying orchestrations that filled holes in songs purposefully left their by their creators. I know because I've heard some of the finest musicians and singers in the world try to reproduce these songs sans orchestrations and they simply do not work.

The production was handled Electra Records and Door's producer Paul Rothschild, along with his trusty engineering sidekick, Bruce Botnick. As a result, this album shares the same anemic bass sound and flatness that dominated the Door's debut album.

But it does let the music breath and all  the subtle and lush orchestrations on this album really shine and are quite stunning and dreamy at times. Something that killed the heavy handed orchestrations and bizarre counter melodies that ruined Phil Ochs' debut album for the A&M label titled Pleasures of the Harbor, released around the same time.

Standout tracks on Forever Changes include the deftly cleaver opener Alone Again Or (a slice of pure psych pop heaven) and the grittier ode to junkies tune Bummer in the Summer.

Forever Changes is musically endearing because the quality of the music never changes. A hidden gem during the Summer of Love but essential music listening for all rock lovers of all times.

Dude, the cheese was stuck to the pizza box and had congealed with the cardboard. I hate when that happens.

You forgot to mention that the Forever Changes album has the best examples of psychedelic titles ever:

A House Is Not a Motel (Best song on the album, and if you've ever been in a struggling band and everyone is sleeping on couches, chairs, the floor, the bathtub, etc., this is what someone's mother is bound to scream in the morning)

Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale (You have to have been stoned at one time or another to relate to this title)

The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This (True story, our ice cream man sold pot from his truck -- interesting to see a bunch of long-haired teens running down the street yelling "STOP!")

Alone Again Or (and then he hits the bong and never finishes the sentence)

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 21:26
Another suggestion - the album 'Plays' (by PUSSY). What a great album with a strong psych flavour (yum yum).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 12:44
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Forever Changes

Dude, the cheese was stuck to the pizza box and had congealed with the cardboard. I hate when that happens.

You forgot to mention that the Forever Changes album has the best examples of psychedelic titles ever:

A House Is Not a Motel (Best song on the album, and if you've ever been in a struggling band and everyone is sleeping on couches, chairs, the floor, the bathtub, etc., this is what someone's mother is bound to scream in the morning)

Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale (You have to have been stoned at one time or another to relate to this title)

The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This (True story, our ice cream man sold pot from his truck -- interesting to see a bunch of long-haired teens running down the street yelling "STOP!")

Alone Again Or (and then he hits the bong and never finishes the sentence)

Thanks for the song inclusions and lyrical clarifications! The only one I understood clearly was The Good Humor Man, as I had 'double crunch ganga' sold on my block too! LOL

Edited by SteveG - March 09 2015 at 09:43
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 18:27
Extraterrestrials from the UFO club.
Soft Machine
Soft Machine Vol. 1 debut. 1968.

If there is a more famous or well known 'underground' music lounge than was in existence for as short a time as London's trendy UFO club in the late sixties, I haven't heard of it. The fact that it was one the major starting points for the nascent psychedelic band named The Pink Floyd must certainly have instilled the defunct venue with legend as did another resident house band of the time named Soft Machine. As jazz was seriously thought to the next musical wave of the fast approaching 'existential' sixties, many jazz musicians and rockers started to team up  for a craze that never developed. The Beatles actually took over the musical zeitgeist of the early sixties in the U.K., quite to everyone's surprise. Including the an executive for England's Decca Records, who turned down The Beatles after an audition for the label, and babbled something about guitar rock bands being on the way out, as he showed The Beatles' manager the door.

Enter Soft Machine who successfully, and perhaps for the only time, combined psychedelia with their own brand of early jazz rock fusion. Recording an album after Pink Floyd's debut Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the SM had big shoes to fill, but with drummer Robert Wyatt admirably handling vocals after the departure of Kevin Ayers, Soft Machine's debut was an unqualified artistic, if not a wholly commercial success. Hidden in the layers of their Psych/Jazz rock was the Canterbury roots from which they evolved from.
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Another UFO alumnus from 1967.  Guess who?

As the third great psychedelic rock album to be released in the U.k. in the late sixties that was not created by either The Beatles or Pink Floyd, that was quite an accomplishment. 

Edited by SteveG - March 10 2015 at 18:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>