Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 11:46

Quote Heavy late-60s psychedelic acid rock from Chicago
hyperbolium | Earth, USA | 07/15/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)

"One of the great psychedelic rock albums in Columbia's catalog, originally released in 1969 by an obscure Chicago quartet (though apparently recorded in Detroit!). The tremendous production merged heavy rock with horns, orchestral strings and church organ in a swirl of attention-getting stereophonic touches. Those who enjoy Arthur Brown's post-Crazy World albums with Kingdom Come will enjoy the way this album is put together. Where Brown tended to ELP-like prog-rock, Aorta had more of a Chicago-influenced soul sound beneath their heavy Fillmore-styled ballroom electric rock.

There are apparently several different import reissues circulating. The Buy or Die label reissue from Germany has garnered poor reviews for its sound quality. The Alcinous Ltd. release from Greece sounds quite good in comparison to the original vinyl. Perhaps Alcinous had a better source than Buy or Die, or simply did a better job of re-mastering for CD. The Alcinous audio is crisp throughout, with plenty of high-end to supplement the heartbeat lows, and enough dynamic range to capture everything from the flute-and-guitar interludes to the heaviest rocking passages. The packaging is nice, with reproductions of the front and back covers and a full lyric sheet inside the four-page booklet."

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 16:01
^  I have an original vinyl of that one and I saw them live in 1969 at a local outdoor concert in my home time just south of Chicago.
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 07:04
Perry Leopold Christian Lucifer LP (1973) 2015

http://psychedelic-sounds-international.bandcamp.com/album/perry-leopold-christian-lucifer-lp-1973-2015

Quote This album is some kind of a mystery and miracle, the latter due to the fact that except for some mixdown copies all the mastertapes have been erased for reuse soon after the recordings were finished for the studio went bankrupt and the material had been sold. In a miraculous way this album came to see the light as a reissue in 1999 and now, some forty years after the initial recording sessions, this music manages to enchant me in its entirety and I am left sedated, unable and unwilling to resist this temptation. The artist I write about here is Perry Leopold, an ambitious musician from the Philadelphia (USA) area who played in rock bands in the 60s and got to release his first acid folk masterpiece “Experiments in metaphysics” back in 1970, a rather twisted effort which strummed past the mainstream success back in its days. From 1971 to 1973 Perry worked on his opus magnum which should have been “Christian Lucifer”, an even more sophisticated and melodic album, still drenched colors man actually should not see and executed with a sense of progressiveness that was mainly associated with the rock scene in Europe. Perry Leopold created this album nearly all alone with a good hand in writing melodies of an unearthly, mythical beauty that he connected with cantilevered instrumental passages in which he piles layers of acoustic guitars, cellos, bells, strings, flutes and a few analogue keyboards and organs upon each other to achieve harmony structures of utter complexity in which the listener could get lost like he was trying to find a non existing path to escape a jungle. The whole piece of sound art, despite the overall accessible approach, bears a deeply spiritual atmosphere and sets your soul in a quiet and peaceful mood. Highly recommended to fans of progressive and symphonic folk and singer / songwriter artists of the ancient days like THE INCREDIBLE STRING BAND, DULCIMER and NICK DRAKE but also of contemporary psychedelic folksters like IN GOWAN RING or BIRCH BOOK.

Edited by Svetonio - April 08 2015 at 07:07
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 19:35
The curious case of Michael Chapman.
Fully Qualified Survivor [Vinyl]
Michael Chapman: Fully Qualified Survivor 1970.

Way back in the heyday of the swinging British Folk Rock boom of the nineteen sixties, there was one reluctant acoustic guitar hero who instead of challenging the likes of Burt Jansch and John Renbourn, decided to turn away from his ever changing alternate guitar tunings (he never used the same tunings twice on the same album, or so he said) and an intoxicating mix of rapid fire raga, Arabic scales and un godly string drones that have been forever preserved in his debut album released in 1969 titled Rainmaker

Michael Chapman originally hailed from Hull, England and a dense accent coupled with words unfitting for his ever changing surroundings brought along some quizzical looks from stunned audiences, such as the time her was performing in NYC and after breaking out into a coughing fit said "these French fags are killing my throat" which would have made perfect sense to someone from Hull or Halifax or anywhere in England in the early nineteen seventies. But obviously not in NYC.

But I digress. After Chapman recorded his debut album for Harvest Records, he got it into his head that he wanted to be a singer/songwriter and dumb down the guitar pyrotechnics. This was fine with the artfully eccentric producer Gus Dudgeon, who himself would shorty rocket to fame as the producer of Elton John's seminal album Honky Chateau.

So Chapman's album was spared no expense and Chapman himself had hit a high watermark in his own songwriting that he would never again equal. The first of the album's tracks, Aviator, featured a melancholy rhythm section, Chapman's strummed acoustic and world weary vocals surrounded on the left channel by strains of solo cello that was answered on the right channel with solo violin, in what was the start of probably one of the finest Acid Folk albums to ever be forged into vinyl.

The albums' best known song in it's native UK was a John Peel favorite called Postcards From Scarborough, which started as an sentimental acoustic folk strum that morphes into a remembrance song of love in it's verses before abruptly changes into a angry caustic chorus that really needs to be heard in order to take in it's effect, as it's hard to compare to any other song.

Where the Holy Model Rounders, Pearls Before Swine and even Syd Barrett merely hinted at Acid Folk's path, Chapman took you on a long dark esoteric and, at times, existential journey through his life, loves and past memories, both good and bad, while Dudgeon's deft production skills made the songs atmospheric without being over powering. Fully Qualified Survivor was the result and it's an album that will keep you on your toes. Even the title track is misleading as it's a hard rocking love song with great guitar hooks by Mick Ronson (soon to be creating great music with one David Bowie.)

By 1970, Acid Folk seemed to run out of the same steam as the Psychedelic Rock to which it was related.

And Michael Chapman never became a well known singer/songwriter, but he gave it his all. And it's probably on this album.

Edited by SteveG - April 15 2015 at 17:56
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 11:50
An obscure band from England...liked some of their tracks.....

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 11:57
Another one of my favorites from the old days.....

Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 17:49
Thanks Doc. I've heard songs from My Friend Jack that were excellent, but this is the first time I've heard anything by The Open Mind, who are very good as well.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 11:40

Iron Butterfly: Ball 1969. Real Gone Music 2015 Expanded Edition.

I'm sure that many folks at WEA Records are relieved that Real Gone Music has licensed this terrific follow up to Iron Butterfly's 1968 mega hit album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda so that one fan (ahem) of this album will stop pestering them to reissue it in remastered form.

It's not only been remastered with good sound quality for a budget label, but also expanded to include two non album 45 rpm singe cuts.

Iron Butterfly choose not to 'remake'  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and concentrated on short form compositions which ultimately failed to give the public In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida Part II, but in hindsight, delivered something much less dated and much more adventurous.

Ball is as close to a great Iron Butterfly album that the group was able to get, and is the closest interface between Psychedelic Rock and Progressive Rock as any sixties American band would get. It's five (out of ten) standout tracks include In The Time Of Our Lives, Soul Experience, Real Fright, Filled With Fear and Lonely Boy, which run the gamut from Vox Organ clinic on ghostly atmospheric themes from keyboardist/vocalist Doug Ingle, to stellar lead guitar work from eighteen year old Erik Braun, that becomes a story inside of the songs proper. Bassist Lee Dorsman takes his strong McCartney playing style displayed on In-A-Gadda-Da Vida and makes it his own on Ball, with influences from the Door's, The Beatles and the Gothic underpinnings of Edgar Alan Poe juxtaposed with American R&B and soul influences from Booker T and The MGs to ? And The Mysterians
peppered throughout every song on album without sounding the least bit derivative.

The psychedelic recording effects are not dated for a sixties album and an 'in your face' production sound, courtesy of California's renowned Gold Star Studios (Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations from the Beach Boys) and  rounded out by additional work at NYC's The Record Plant, easily sells the album.

Ball is not a consistent Iron Butterfly album due to band's hit or miss songwriting, but is clearly their best and is a welcome return of a lost Psych Rock classic. At least for one long time fan. (Ahem.) 

Edited by SteveG - June 06 2015 at 18:04
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 12:32
Nice. It's about time it got back on CD.

I think the first two songs ("In Th Time Of Our Lives", "Soul Experience") and the last two ("Filled With Fear", "Belda Beast") are the best ones. I prefer the early versions of "Real Fright" (particularity the one from Live At The Galaxy 1967) where they sounded like a lighter version of The Stooges. Still, this one and Galaxy I'm going to get immediately.

As for your claim that Ball is their best record, I have to disagree. That honor goes to this one:

It's a somewhat different lineup than the one in  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Ball - only Ingle and Bushy would remain - and the band isn't quite as polished, leaning a bit more towards garage rock, especially with Darryl DeLoach's singing on some of the tracks. Nonetheless, it's a fine start - especially with the "Iron Butterfly Theme", "Possession", "Unconscious Power", "So-Lo" (one of the more underrated IB songs) and "Fields Of Sun". 

Forgive me for more or less ripping off your review, Steve, but I think a lot what you said about Ball I think could easily be said about Heavy. Still, if you liked In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Ball, chances are you'll find this one to be just as enjoyable.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 12:39
^Fair enough. Heavy is probably Butterfly's second best album, IMO. As you suggested, it's much less polished musically and sonically, which obviously means a lot to me. But if you really dig it over Ball, that's fine with me. Big smile

Now if we could only get some long time fan to get Heavy remastered also. (Ahem, Ahem.)

Edited by SteveG - June 06 2015 at 13:56
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 21:33
I also prefer Ball over Heavy but as always it's a matter of taste. I still have my original vinyl of the first 4 , and have a nice 'best of' on cd.

Edited by dr wu23 - June 07 2015 at 09:09
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 12:56
A few more  old obscure favorites ...........

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 13:14
Used to play this album to death back in the day......

Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 14:13
Speaking of Shazam:

I think a vocals/guitar/bass/drums version like the one in that video would have fit the album better, but the orchestrated one that made it to the album is pretty good as well.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 08:43
Live At The Galaxy 1967
Iron Butterfly: Live At The Galaxy 1967. Purple Pyramid Records.

As KingCrInuYasha alluded to in a previous post, Live At The Galaxy 1967 is an amateur recording of Iron Butterfly that documents a great early concert but suffers from a lousy sound mix. The venue reportedly did not have a house PA system, so that the band's vocals were reportedly amplified through a bass speaker cabinet. As a former live sound engineer, this seemed liked hype to me, until I actually heard the barely audible and distorted vocals on this CD.

The performance includes six songs that would eventually end up on the Iron Butterfly's debut album Heavy and features the shouting Iggy Pop style vocals of the group's short lived lead singer Darryl Deloach. This version of Iron Butterfly also includes Heavy's guitarist Danny Weis, who is quite formidable, as he's actually a more technical and fluid player than the more melodic Erick Braun, who replaced him for the band's smash fellow up smash  album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda.  Keyboardist Doug Ingle is also part of the first Iron Butterfly incarnation and is the vocalist on about a third of the songs that were penned by him like Heavy's lead off track Obsession and the evergreen Heavy album closer Iron Butterfly Theme, as well as three songs that would later end up on the Ball album.

To me, the three Ball tunes Real Fright (sung be Deloach with a jerky arrangement), Filled With Fear and even a pedestrian performance of the soulful Lonely Boy, are the cream that rises to the top of this set, as they lean more towards pure Psychedelic Rock and, hence, Proto Prog, as opposed to many of the Proto Punk offerings penned by Deloach and Weis, such as Gentle Is It May Seem, which ended up on the debut album Heavy.

Again, this CD is a wonderful historical document for fans of Psych Rock and Iron Butterfly, but the audio quality is anathema for audiophiles. 

Edited by SteveG - June 09 2015 at 10:50
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 09:02
You Cant Use My Name The RSVP PPX Sessions
Jimi Hendrix: Curtis Knight and The Squire. You Cant Use My Name. The PPX sessions.

Unlike the above noted Live At The Galaxy from Iron Butterfly, I can offer no caveats in regards to purchasing this "officially sanctioned" offering of inferior recordings of Jimi Hendrix  ghost guesting on tracks recorded by the lack luster Curtis Knight And The Squires, and were issued with objections, naturally, from Hendrix. The simple fact is that Hendrix signed a contract with PPX Records that he conveniently forgot about after making it big with Are You Experienced? This started a 40 year long protracted legal action against PPX Records from Hendrix's estate. The estate won and we now have "authorized" acess to these recordings which were a joke when they were first released by PPX Records 45 years ago.

Oh, I do have one caveat: Buyer Beware. And WHF?

Edited by SteveG - June 08 2015 at 11:49
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 12:41
Finally the Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid 1983-1988
Finally The Punk Rockers are Taking Acid: The Flaming Lips 1983-1988. Rykodisc Limited edition 3CD compilation 2002.

"Finally the Punk Rockers are taking Acid"  (now out of print) is a triple CD set released on the heels of the Lips mega hit Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots in 2002, featuring the Flaming Lips' self-titled EP and their first three LP's ("Hear It Is", "Oh My Gawd!!!", and "Telepathic Surgery"), plus some bonus tracks (demos/covers/etc). The premise of this collection and special extensive liner notes is to clarify, frankly, that LSD use was the Lips key factor in adding psychedelic touches to their earlier more hardcore sounding punk based guitar rock, something that they humorlessly tried to hide from the hardcore punk scene at that time, because acid use was looked down on by the punks as a hippie-ism, and punks hated hippies. Even future member and multi instrumentalist Steven Drozd adds commentary on why he sought out the Lips and recalls his own prog/new wave background and his listening experiences to these early Lips records while tripping.  

The early Lips' songs  are hit or miss. If you're only familiar with "The Soft Bulletin" or "Yoshimi" era Lips, this will be a shock. If your familiar with the heavy acid tinged psych rock of "In A Priest Driven Ambulance", imagine that material but more toned down in guitar distortion. That's a good description of The Flaming Lips' early material. Like the title suggests, rooted in punk rock, and glossed over in a druggy, psychedelic haze.

The EP features Wayne Coyne's brother on lead vocals (he left shortly afterwards). Songs like "Scratchin' at the Door" meander left and write without any real melody. It sure is an interesting listen though.

That applies to 1986's "Hear It Is" as well. Highlights include "With You" (power ballad + screeching guitar noise), "Jesus Shootin' Heroin" (scariest song ever), "Trains, Brains & Rain" (which has a genuine pop hook), and "Godzilla Flick" (a mournful accoustic ballad).

1987's "Oh My Gawd!!!" is probably the most accessible album on here. Some of the more memorable moments include: "Everythings Explodin" (a noisy assault), "Maximum Dream for Evil Knievel" (a trippy, Pink Floyd like dirge), "The Ceiling is Bendin" (a delicious slice of warped psychedelia), "Thanks To You" (which borrows from Led Zeppelin's "Thank You", which is actually covered later in the set), and "Love Yer Brain" (a mid-tempo ballad which culminates in a destroyed piano and a loop from "Tomorrow Never Knows").

1988's "Telepathic Surgery" is the most sprawling and difficult of the three. But there's some good stuff to be found; "Chrome-Plated Suicide" (a pop song that borrows heavily from "Sweet Child O' Mine"), "Right Now" (raucous fun), "Miracle on 42nd Street", "Begs & Achin" (more racuous fun), "Shaved Gorilla" (which sounds like The Cure in a twisted sort of way), and the totally bizarre "UFO Story".

This early material is light years away from the Lips recent explorations into Popol Vuh like krautrock, but unabashedly shows that the Flaming Lips were, and still are a authentic psychedelic rock band, and also why.  

Edited by SteveG - July 28 2015 at 13:28
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 14:47
From the 2013 Flaming Lips EP Peace Sword.

Edited by SteveG - August 03 2015 at 14:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 15:45
Tame Impala's new album Currents mixes psych pop with new wave and dance music on this pop concoction. And it's additive! Kevin Parkers high vocals grate after awhile but I dig the wall of synths. It reminds me of Tame Impala mixed with Ultravox and Tears For Fears.

Edited by SteveG - August 13 2015 at 15:50
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 16:03
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tame Impala's new album Currents mixes psych pop with new wave and dance music on this pop concoction. And it's additive! Kevin Parkers high vocals grate after awhile but I dig the wall of synths. It reminds me of Tame Impala mixed with Ultravox and Tears For Fears.

Hmm...don't really hear much psych pop there, but mostly 80's synth dance pop. No new ground being broken there.
I like Ultravox far better than that . Can't say I was ever a fan of Tears For Fears though they did do the nice single now and then.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>