Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 15:55
Here's an obscure Blue Cheer/Cream/Jimi Hendrix Experience-type power trio that back in 1969 cut out a couple of LPs out under two different names, The Firebirds and The 31 Flavors, then disappeared off the face of the Earth. (probably due to business issues) Their heavier moments even seem to predict what Black Sabbath would be doing the following year.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 20:58
^ That is some awesome heavy psych. Love it. Thumbs Up

If any of you are not familiar with Blue Cheer, do check them out. And see also Black Pearl.

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 23 2015 at 21:50
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 21:20
Some Detroit-area bands I loved. First the wonderful distortion of Frijid Pink:

The proggy psych of SRC:

The Amboy Dukes with Ted Nugent, before he started hunting liberals for wall trophies:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 03:29
There's a conspiracy theory that one of The Firebirds might have been the same "Purple Fox" who in 1970 put out a tribute album to Jimi Hendrix with a handful of original numbers.

The guitar playing certainly sounds similar, the actual Hendrix covers on that album not being that good since the Purple Fox isn't anywhere as technically skilled.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - January 24 2015 at 03:31
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 09:35
Thanks for all the great posts and incredible vids, guys. I'm having connection problems on and off and will expand on all these great posts when the problem passes.

Edited by SteveG - January 24 2015 at 09:38
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 13:00
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Here's an obscure Blue Cheer/Cream/Jimi Hendrix Experience-type power trio that back in 1969 cut out a couple of LPs out under two different names, The Firebirds and The 31 Flavors, then disappeared off the face of the Earth. (probably due to business issues) Their heavier moments even seem to predict what Black Sabbath would be doing the following year.

Wow! This blew my mind. I haven't heard any mention The 31 Flavors in over 41 years and, frankly, forgot what they sounded like!

I not sure if the Firebird's  guy was part of the faux experience, but it's possible because we know he needed the money!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 13:04
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ That is some awesome heavy psych. Love it. Thumbs Up

If any of you are not familiar with Blue Cheer, do check them out. And see also Black Pearl.

I'm very familiar with the great Blue Cheer but not Black Pearl, so a friend of mine is going to lend my some of their vinyl. He say's they're great.

Edited by SteveG - January 25 2015 at 14:19
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 13:08
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Some Detroit-area bands I loved. First the wonderful distortion of Frijid Pink:

FP is another band that I've not heard mention in years and, as you stated, had quite a great distorted sound for their era.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 13:33
West, Bruce and Laing: Why Dontcha 1971

The last super group rock power trio, ex Mountain men Leslie West and Cory Laing teamed up with ex Cream bassist the late Jake Bruce to produce this blues rock powerhouse of an album. Garnering absolutely no air play upon it's release, the album spread by word of mouth due to the band's pedigree, and was well received by fans of the group's former band's fans.

WB&L would produce one more studio album in 1972, the less impressive What Ever Turns You On, before rampant drug use caused them to brake up.

Edited by SteveG - January 25 2015 at 14:21
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

West, Bruce and Laing: Why Dontcha 1971

The last super group rock power trio, ex Mountain men Leslie West and Cory Laing teamed up with ex Cream bassist the late Jake Bruce to produce this blues rock powerhouse of an album. Garnering absolutely no air play upon it's release, the album spread by word of mouth due to the band's pedigree, and was well received by fans of the group's former band's fans.

WB&L would produce one more studio album in 1972, the less impressive What Ever Turns You On, before rampant drug use caused them to brake up.
Why Dontcha was one of my favorites from the old days....though not exactly psych rock.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 08:13
^Agreed, Doc. We went off a power trio theme, but at least Bruce is 'psych related'. Tales of Brave Ulysses is still one my favorite psych rock songs from Cream.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 08:45
Dr. John
Original Album Series:Babylon/Dr. JohnS Gumbo/Gris Gris/In The Right Place/The Sun, Moon &amp;amp;amp; Herbs

Original Album Series  (Rhino Records)

Picked up this 5 CD album collection of Dr. John's early albums on the old Atco label, for a 10 dollar bill.

I was surprised that they left out his seminal 1970 album Remedies as it's a transition from his Voodoo psych over to quirky R&B and proto funk.

Well, I guess you can't have everything for 10 bucks, but it still a great deal and includes his first 5 albums, except for the one I mentioned.

Edited by SteveG - January 26 2015 at 08:48
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 12:46

39 Clocks was a German band of the late '70's to the mid '80's, mainly reckoned to be a dark psychedelic rock band. Uniquely, though, they were essentially part of the industrial scene of the time, very obvious from listening to their work, and such a listen will as well reveal heavy Velvet Underground influences.

Alongside Tago Mago, this band is one of the main pieces of evidence for the conclusion a few have reached that industrial music is at least in part just a horribly twisted descendant of classic psych.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 13:39
^Amazing how many punk, industrial, experimental, etc., bands are influenced by the VU.

I've been listening to a remaster of the 1990 Flaming Lips album In a Priest Driven Ambulance, and aside from it's extremely dark overtone (Wayne Coyne was having it out with God!)  and shoegazer noise direction, about 50% of the material seemed to be either consciously or subconsciously channeling the VU.

It's a great album, but a long way from The Soft Bulletin.

Thanks for the tip on the 39 Steps. I will check them out as soon as time permits.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:59
The dark (and heavy) side of The Flaming Lips.
The Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg. Rykodisc 2002 remastered double CD special edition.

By 1990, the Flaming Lips were signed to a struggling small indie label called Restless. They had made two previous albums before being informed that the record company would probably not last much longer, and that their contract would not be renewed after completion of their soon to be recorded third album.

The Lips had gone through several personal changes and were now down to just co-founding members Wayne Coyne (guitar and vocals) and Michael Ivins (bass). Joined with Jonathan Donahue on lead guitar (who go on to form Mercury Rev a few years later) and Nathan Roberts on drums, The Lips decided to go for broke and put out another loud noisy guitar driven psych rock album, but pepper it with lyrics based on Coyne's confusion and disillusionment with his Catholic religious upbringing. The album also featured some incredible folky acoustic songs that seemed to owe a great deal to both Pink Floyd's use of unusual minor chords as well as tuning from the Roy Harper school of harmonics.

The recording is the first one done with touring sound engineer Michael Freedman who used The Lips as his college senor sound engineering project. In fact, the band was recorded in Friedman's university sound lab.
In case you never seen one of these sound engineering schools, the're not  the cozy dimly lit professional studios that you see in magazines, books or on the net. Fluorescent lights illuminate the lab like décor and linoleum floor tiles are the norm.

As the band was heavily influenced by Shoegazers such as Sonic Youth, pedal power was the way to exotic guiter sounds for both sustained as well as random sounds that echo both Pink Floyd's spacy effects that the Floyd had created on their own albums with both guitars and sequencers. Sequencers are something the Lips didn't have so samples were utilized and altered or disguised by both recording signal manipulation and recording tape tricks like pitch shifting.

The resultant album titled In a Priest Driven Ambulance is without doubt one of the hardest hitting, angry, at times abrasive and brilliant albums The Flaming Lips ever produced. Unfortunately, Restless Records lost their distribution deal a few months later and few people have heard this masterwork. The album, plus outtakes and bonus material, was re-issued by Rykodisc Records in 2002 in a deluxe double CD edition titled The Day They Shot a Hole In The Jesus Egg . The title was taken from a line of lyrics from one of the album's songs.

This album is a long way from the sunshine psych pop of  later Flaming Lips albums like The Soft Bulletin, but it deserves to be heard on it's own merits.

Edited by SteveG - January 31 2015 at 18:07
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:31

Felt is a band that fits the description - psych-rock/blues rock, they released their self-titled album in 1971. Been listening to it quite a bit the last few days, good stuff. Smile

Edited by Cristi - February 01 2015 at 09:33
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 12:20
^Cool stuff, Cristi. Thanks!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 12:58

you're welcome; I listened to quite a bit of psyche-rock/blues rock last year, discovered some great bands
here's a list of bands, I'll be back with more info and videos

Arzachel
Cargo
Shiver
Odyssey
Blackwater Park
T2
Armaggedon
Bloodrock
Corpus
Mom's Apple Pie
Five Day Rain
Room
Homer
Freedom
Love Sculpture
Suck

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 15:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you're welcome; I listened to quite a bit of psyche-rock/blues rock last year, discovered some great bands
here's a list of bands, I'll be back with more info and videos

Arzachel
Cargo
Shiver
Odyssey
Blackwater Park
T2
Armaggedon
Bloodrock
Corpus
Mom's Apple Pie
Five Day Rain
Room
Homer
Freedom
Love Sculpture
Suck

Ineresting list.....has a few of my favorite psych /proto prog bands on it.......Arzachel, T2, Five Day Rain, and Love Sculpture.

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 15:15
A bit later in the psych rock period...but a classic nevertheless....
Smile

and for all you archivists..here is the original version by Ars Nova

Edited by dr wu23 - February 02 2015 at 15:22
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>