Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommend me some more "modern" sounding prog.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me some more "modern" sounding prog.
    Posted: December 15 2014 at 17:12
So I'm going through the list of the highest rated prog albums on the site (from 2013 and 2014) and I think some of the releases sound quite "old" if that makes any sense. What I mean is that many of the albums sound like they could just as well been recorded in the 70's or 80's both mixing wise and sound wise (i.e heavy use of mellotrons and the like). What I'm looking for is bands that sound more like modern "pop" bands but still retaining the complexity usually found in prog. To take a example  of what I mean a good example could be The Reign of Kindo which could be considered a more proggy version of Maroon 5 (which I also like).  It does not have to restricted to "pop" sounding bands though, as I found for example The Ocean to be a good example of a modern sounding metal band.

It's hard for me to explain exactly what I want as it's not necessarily restricted to a particular genre, but hopefully "more modern sounding" makes sense to someone. Embarrassed

I can try to provide more examples tomorrow - but now I have to sleep! Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 17:25
It does, and I feel your painSmile. As someone who has been writing reviews for the best part of the past 9 years, I have come across my share of "old-sounding" prog, in some cause bordering on plagiarism. Anyway, the good news is that there is a lot of what I call the "new frontier" of prog available on the market - bands and artists whose music is based on the song form rather than on the extended epic format, and shares some of the features of good pop while retaining a lot of the complexity of progressive rock. Some suggestions:

The Tea Club (US) - all of their three albums are highly recommended, though their first (General Winter's Secret Museum) is the most modern and approachable
Thank You Scientist (US) - a very dynamic seven-piece with a strong punk and funk element - think The Mars Volta with shorter, punchier songs. They are fantastic on stage.
MoeTar (US) - outstanding modern art rock with subtle Avant overtones and a trained jazz singer (a lady by the name of Moorea Dickason) as a lead vocalist.
Schooltree (US) - more female-fronted art-rock goodness, with hints of Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Queen, but  a very modern vibe.
3RDegree (US) - the kind of prog you can sing along to! Like a modern Steely Dan, with a vocalist sounding more like Stevie Wonder than Jon Anderson.

I'll post more when I feel a bit better than todaySmile!
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 17:53
Raff has a good start.

There's also

Rishloo (Prog rock)
There are also a bunch of amazing modern Avant garde Rock bands just quickly will mention PoiL, Ni, Koenjyhyakkei
Grayceon (similar to the ocean but with cello and down tuned guitar and drums only)
Giant squid (a very varied modern metal band)
A lonely crowd (Prog pop rock Avant weirds)
Bangladeafy (like the opposite of primus but also like primus but way proggy)
Moon tooth (mastodon influenced pop metal with less grating vocals)
Fall of the Albatross (Instrumetal)

So many good bands I Dont have time to let them all out :)

Edited by Smurph - December 15 2014 at 17:54
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 17:56
Superdensecrushloadfactor's One In The Flood leans heavily on a proggy take on the garage rock revival.
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 05:50
Yay!

I'm listening through Raffs suggestions and currently I have to say that these band fit with what I wanted to hear perfectly! I have heard about ThankYouScientist and Rishloo before but the other ones are new to me so yay! Have not had the time to listen to all the bands properly yet but currently I have to say that I'm really enjoying The Tea Club, MoeTar,3rdDegree and Grayceon!

Thank you everone for understanding what I wanted and for your great suggestions! Smile
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 06:32
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

What I'm looking for is bands that sound more like modern "pop" bands but still retaining the complexity usually found in prog. To take a example  of what I mean a good example could be The Reign of Kindo which could be considered a more proggy version of Maroon 5 (which I also like).  It does not have to restricted to "pop" sounding bands though, as I found for example The Ocean to be a good example of a modern sounding metal band.
Well then look no further because you've just described Chrome Hoof. They just happen to be the best and most refreshing thing I've heard in a long time, shaking off 70's sounds and coming up with a new sound influenced with disco music, pop and about million other subgenres but of course still keeping it highly progy. I can't recommend it highly enough actually.
There isn't so many samples to fully understand what their all about but I think you'll get the picture...

This is maybe their popiest song but it's simply beautiful so I must.

'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 07:37
You may like Karnivool

65daysofstatic with an awesome dance-influenced post-rocky crescendo

Devin Townsend's Addicted is a catchy but complex album

Anathema have a poppy sound with beautiful compositions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-JlhNRcbXU

Some of Coheed and Cambria's effort have a proggy edge, while sounding fresh
These are the ones I could think of at the moment, I'll let you know if others come to mind.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 12:29
Stole your reccomedations for Mrs. Lohan as I was in need of something fresh sounding as well. It was all really interesting but to me these were standouts (a couple of bands I couldn't find though) 

Originally posted by 'PiphanyRambler 'PiphanyRambler wrote:

65daysofstatic with an awesome dance-influenced post-rocky crescendo

From their least popular album on PA it seems. But to me added electronics, an awesome drummer (+ a virtuoso drum machine) and a dance beat is exactly what I needed in my post-rock. Been listening to 65daysofstatic all day actually

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

MoeTar (US) - outstanding modern art rock with subtle Avant overtones and a trained jazz singer (a lady by the name of Moorea Dickason) as a lead vocalist.
Unique stuff. Loved it!

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 12:45
I would strongly recommend Milliontown by Frost*, inmy mind it has the complexities of the seventies but actually sounds like it was recorded in the 2000's.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 12:53
Falls of Rauros..........The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 12:54
This thread contains a lot of interesting suggestions already. I listened to Chrome Hoof and I was intrigued. That video tho.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I would strongly recommend Milliontown by Frost*, inmy mind it has the complexities of the seventies but actually sounds like it was recorded in the 2000's.

good one
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:20

This thread contains a lot of interesting suggestions already. I listened to Chrome Hoof and I was intrigued. That video tho.

Chrome Hoof are fantastic, one of the few truly original new bands around. They also share members with Guapo and Knifeworld - which is in itself a mark of quality.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:51

Chrome Hoof are fantastic, one of the few truly original new bands around. They also share members with Guapo and Knifeworld - which is in itself a mark of quality.

Indeed Knifeworld are brilliant!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 15:02
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I just got my first Chrome Hoof CD a week ago.  It's an old EP of theirs from a few years back called Beyond Zade.  It's eclectic to the point of schizophrenia.  From what I've heard of their newer material, they got a bit more focused and tight recently.  Still plan on getting that newest album.  I've still never heard Knifeworld either.  I tend to take a while to catch up to "new" releases.  There's just too much old stuff I want to discover, and not just prog stuff either.  Moan moan, I know, first world problem city.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 15:15
While I've been linking a lot to this band this year - I'd place Major Parkinson within this context too. Even if they do use something that sounds like a Mellotron here and there. Listen on bandcamp if you're curious.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 02:14
Huh. Chrome Black Gold made the Collaborator's top 10 last year and it's only got 10 ratings?? I knew it was a surprising inclusion but there you go.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 09:52
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I just got my first Chrome Hoof CD a week ago.  It's an old EP of theirs from a few years back called Beyond Zade.  It's eclectic to the point of schizophrenia.  From what I've heard of their newer material, they got a bit more focused and tight recently.  Still plan on getting that newest album.  I've still never heard Knifeworld either.  I tend to take a while to catch up to "new" releases.  There's just too much old stuff I want to discover, and not just prog stuff either.  Moan moan, I know, first world problem city.
Steve I must say Beyond Zade is hardly the place to start exploring this wonderful band. As you said since their second album they got much more focused, eclectic and tight. Their latest album would be a great place to start Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply