Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPassion: Peter Gabriel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passion: Peter Gabriel
    Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:30
After I saw Martin Scorsese's film The Last Temptation Of Christ, people asked me if the movie was any good. I said 'no, but the soundtrack was great'. I didn't know it was by Peter Gabriel due to all the controversial hype the movie received at that time and I didn't pay attention to the movie credits!
I love world music (long story), so this album is up there for me, but what's your take on Peter Gabriel's Passion?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:41
Excellent expanded soundtrack for an excellent film. Heck of a mix of music there - off the top of my head I remember sounds from the Middle East, Africa, and Brazil to start with.

And, yes, the OST has music that Scorsese passed on for the film itself melded in. It is its own beast, and it's wonderful.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 02:18
Never seen the movie.  Love the OST!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 02:38
Super PG album ! 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 03:00
One of the two PG albums I like from beginning to end. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:01
Great album, the Mrs. even likes it
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:03
It's the best thing Peter Gabriel ever did.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:40
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

It's the best thing Peter Gabriel ever did.

Indeed it is. A work of genius.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:44
Not really my kind of music, but it's cool for a soundtrack. With competition like Jesus Christ Superstar, the film looks like a rather poor modern take on Jesus.

Edited by Friday13th - December 17 2014 at 15:44
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:06
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Not really my kind of music, but it's cool for a soundtrack. With competition like Jesus Christ Superstar, the film looks like a rather poor modern take on Jesus.
I can definitely understand someone not liking this type of music. The book this movie is based on, Nikos Kazantzakis' The Last Temptation of Christ, is an existential almost mystical novel that did not translate well to the movie, IMHO.

Its' not an easy read, but it is a superb work of fiction.

Edited by SteveG - December 17 2014 at 16:08
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 17:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I can definitely understand someone not liking this type of music. The book this movie is based on, Nikos Kazantzakis' The Last Temptation of Christ, is an existential almost mystical novel that did not translate well to the movie, IMHO.

Your know, it's strange. I thought it translated very well to the movie. I also found it an incredibly moving story, both written and screen. The idea that Christ could be tempted, and fallible, as the rest of us mere mortals, but, when confronted with the outcome, fulfilled His destiny and climbed back on the cross and died an agonising death. I have always found that a staggeringly astounding piece of religious theatre, and, btw, made an absolute mockery of the so called religious fundamentalists who objected at the time to the idea that Christ might have had.....gasp.....had a girl. That was never the point. The point was the fact that he made the ultimate sacrifice, and it really was an incredible piece of homage to the idea of Christ the Redeemer.

I also thought, given that this is a music thread, that Gabriel's music really brought it all to life, but certainly more in the album than the film itself. The album is almost a screenplay in its own right, with the concept and execution of a distant past and violent time starkly given life in a modern context.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 18:22
I like the music, I just haven't taken the time to dig it completely.  I could really get into this kind of thing, but it'll take some time.  Maybe I'll put it on next time I take a nap - that's usually a great way to really let music get inside my head.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 19:22
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Your know, it's strange. I thought it translated very well to the movie. I also found it an incredibly moving story, both written and screen. The idea that Christ could be tempted, and fallible, as the rest of us mere mortals, but, when confronted with the outcome, fulfilled His destiny and climbed back on the cross and died an agonising death. I have always found that a staggeringly astounding piece of religious theatre, and, btw, made an absolute mockery of the so called religious fundamentalists who objected at the time to the idea that Christ might have had.....gasp.....had a girl. That was never the point. The point was the fact that he made the ultimate sacrifice, and it really was an incredible piece of homage to the idea of Christ the Redeemer.

I also thought, given that this is a music thread, that Gabriel's music really brought it all to life, but certainly more in the album than the film itself. The album is almost a screenplay in its own right, with the concept and execution of a distant past and violent time starkly given life in a modern context.
In truth Laz, it's been some twenty something years since I saw the movie and I held Kazantzakis' work in such high regard, particularly The Last Temptation, that I might have gone to see the film with blinders on. As I said, I love the soundtrack and the novel, so I think it's a good idea for me to have another look at the movie with a more open mind this time around. Thank you for your feedback.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 21:57
Pas pire, pas pire.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:44

Sadly, this is a very bad representation and understanding of the issues regarding "history" and "fiction" and the very bad "translations" of many books, now available after having been hidden for over 1500 years!

The version that you are familiar with, is probably the most poetic of all ... but being a fan of "progressive" music, you can not accept that there is different music, different words and different ideas elsewhere out there in the world, and you think that your God is right and everyone else's God is wrong! It's a shame that you can not read the original book, because you are too ingraned in the bad translation of another book, in order to even appreciate a different point of view.

The church's point of view was a story decided in a conclave 300 years after the man was done. Thus, any idea that a real man existed (which would be very important for you to believe in yourself instead of a book and idea or a very graven image!), is not possible and people continually stick to an idea, and not anything that might have some truth in it.

Folks do the same thing here about "progressive music" ... it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world, especially in the earlier days! It's much more alive today than it was 40 years ago ... and the truth is ... it was alive everywhere before and after and always will be! But the truth can't be denied, and that is the main reason why a board like this has survived so long!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:58
The version that you are familiar with, is probably the most poetic of all ... but being a fan of "progressive" music, you can not accept that there is different music, different words and different ideas elsewhere out there in the world, and you think that your God is right and everyone else's God is wrong! It's a shame that you can not read the original book, because you are too ingraned in the bad translation of another book, in order to even appreciate a different point of view.......................Come down off your throne, who is it who cannot appreciate a different point of view??
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 17:55
Being a soundtrack, it's not quite as well-rounded without the film, but the music itself is great. More world-y than his earlier records, so obviously I don't like it as much as his arty, cult albums (i.e. Scratch, Melt, and So). I've never seen the film completely, just snippets, but I imagine it would come together more working with the images/as background music.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 19:24
Gabriel at the commencement of his noodling period.....
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:49
Nothing about the music or the images are period correct.  It's a work of fiction both on record and the big screen.

That being said, it's a soundtrack.  One of the most listenable soundtracks I have ever heard apart from the film.  The music could stand alone without further imagery or explanation.

I loved the film, the soundtrack and how they worked together.  It was a three way win, for Martin, for Peter and all who enjoyed the film for what it was.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:28
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Being a soundtrack, it's not quite as well-rounded without the film, but the music itself is great. More world-y than his earlier records, so obviously I don't like it as much as his arty, cult albums (i.e. Scratch, Melt, and So). I've never seen the film completely, just snippets, but I imagine it would come together more working with the images/as background music.

I like the film, and how the music was integrated into it. And yes, it was a nice representation of the Greek Writer's book.

I do think that the film tries hard to bring to us a vision that is not "westernized" for most of us. The music and a lot of its ambience, was closer to the cultures involved in those areas -- albeit a bit movie like -- than it was anything else.

I'm a "humanist", and the idea and appeal of a GOD that is not a part of you and I is not something I adhere to. Folks like that man and others are only important to us, if they were REAL, and not machinations put together by a conclave copying a lot of Summerian literature and ideas! My only concern is that many of the so-called "christian" this and that do not believe in a man ... they believe in an idea of a man!

You don't believe ideas here or anywhere else, specially Mosh's, so why the fudge would you believe ideas in another book that amounts to a bad translation?

The film considers a proposition that many folks in this country do not wish to even consider. The music is intended to represent it better and give it a more eastern feel, however, I think that not enough of the music was as "local" as it could have been, and it was more wishful thinking than otherwise. As such, it might have mis-represented an area/era and given us yet another bad "translation". Just what we needed ... more confusion so we can't learn anything!

Edited by moshkito - December 21 2014 at 14:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>