Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPassion: Peter Gabriel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Being a soundtrack, it's not quite as well-rounded without the film, but the music itself is great. More world-y than his earlier records, so obviously I don't like it as much as his arty, cult albums (i.e. Scratch, Melt, and So). I've never seen the film completely, just snippets, but I imagine it would come together more working with the images/as background music.

I like the film, and how the music was integrated into it. And yes, it was a nice representation of the Greek Writer's book.

I do think that the film tries hard to bring to us a vision that is not "westernized" for most of us. The music and a lot of its ambience, was closer to the cultures involved in those areas -- albeit a bit movie like -- than it was anything else.

I'm a "humanist", and the idea and appeal of a GOD that is not a part of you and I is not something I adhere to. Folks like that man and others are only important to us, if they were REAL, and not machinations put together by a conclave copying a lot of Summerian literature and ideas! My only concern is that many of the so-called "christian" this and that do not believe in a man ... they believe in an idea of a man!

You don't believe ideas here or anywhere else, specially Mosh's, so why the fudge would you believe ideas in another book that amounts to a bad translation?

The film considers a proposition that many folks in this country do not wish to even consider. The music is intended to represent it better and give it a more eastern feel, however, I think that not enough of the music was as "local" as it could have been, and it was more wishful thinking than otherwise. As such, it might have mis-represented an area/era and given us yet another bad "translation". Just what we needed ... more confusion so we can't learn anything!

Well said!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 18:21
A great soundtrack. And a great film based on a great novel.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:17
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

A great soundtrack. And a great film based on a great novel.

I don't know if the music is great or not, but it is effective. Of all the film directors, Marty is not a strong one to use music at all, although he is really big on the huge romantic moments and emotional moments that he figures the music makes them stronger!

There is a side of all this that is weird, since Marty was one of the folks with a camera in his hand at Woodstock, and maybe it was the directing in there that made a difference, but Marty has never been as storng "visually" and "musically" as some of the material he did in that film!

I do not feel, that the music was the best part of the film. In fact, at times I thought it was more confusing than helpful. But it makes for a really nice opening of the film, for example! But that is not "the story", it's an intro to hook you into a story!

Edited by moshkito - December 22 2014 at 09:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 15:16

It will surprise no one that I am a huge fan of this album. I saw the film many years ago in college, it was an interesting take on the story for me at that stage of my life. But the music has stuck with me much longer than the film.

In fact, I do not consider the album as a soundtrack anymore. I listen to it as its own work, and at that it is splendid. I'm sure it's a little dated but that album and Gabriel's work at the time actually help create the sounds and (along with Paul Simon) make world music hit a surge in the late 80's early 90's.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 08:49
Hi,

Same thing for me Negoba.

Actually, almost all soundtracks do that for me ... they have their own personality, and I tend to not see the film in it ... there are exceptions, though, it's hard to not think Vangelis or the movie in Blade Runner or Chariots of Fire (specially the chair bit!) ... as an example, but I doubt you can listen to any of Sakamoto's soundtracks and think of any film, and some of the music is fabulous! Specially, The Last  Buddha. I just don't see that as "important" to an eastern culture, but very valuable as an experience, musically or otherwise, for us westerners, with that super beautiful soprano solo!

Or worse ... sit through the really big and great soundtrax of all time ... I don't see the "movie" in listening to Bernard Herrmann. i hear "modern music" at its best and most creative!

Edited by moshkito - December 28 2014 at 11:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12