Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUK: UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I used to love both UK albums, but have been unable to play either of them after the extremely poor way they treated the audience at the final edition of NEARfest, in June 2012. They kept us waiting in the lobby (where there was hardly any seating available at all) for TWO hours, and then for half an hour longer once we had finally been allowed into the hall - and no apologies were tendered. Micky and I left half an hour into their set, and we were not the only ones.

I forget: was Wetton part of the band for the NEARfest performance? The delay smacks of All Things Jobson. Wink

When I saw Banco at ProgFest 2000 in Los Angeles, there was a half-hour delay to get back into the hall, but soon enough they were ready to go.

Yes, Wetton was part of the band, as well as Alex Mahachek (guitar) and Gary Husband (drums). From what I know, the delay was Jobson's fault, and he had pulled a similar (though not as lengthy) stunt in 2010, when he performed at NEARfest with his all-star band The Ultimate Zero Project. That time we were lucky, and did not have to wait longer than one hour. In 2012, the performance should have started at 8:30 pm, but was delayed until at least 11.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:00
^Prog fest 99 had similar lengthy delays but were organizational issues rather than anything band related. But then Bondage Fruit absolutely blew up the stage and everyone forgot the delay.

On the topic at hand. UK debut is one of my favs from the "breakup era". I was skeptical on the opener when I heard the plinky keyboard sound Jobson was using but that was the only point of consternation.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Here's a pic of UK my friends took on the Cruise to the Edge thingy, thought I'd share it here.

Clap Clap Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:35

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I used to love both UK albums, but have been unable to play either of them after the extremely poor way they treated the audience at the final edition of NEARfest, in June 2012. They kept us waiting in the lobby (where there was hardly any seating available at all) for TWO hours, and then for half an hour longer once we had finally been allowed into the hall - and no apologies were tendered. Micky and I left half an hour into their set, and we were not the only ones.

I forget: was Wetton part of the band for the NEARfest performance? The delay smacks of All Things Jobson. Wink

When I saw Banco at ProgFest 2000 in Los Angeles, there was a half-hour delay to get back into the hall, but soon enough they were ready to go.

Yes, Wetton was part of the band, as well as Alex Mahachek (guitar) and Gary Husband (drums). From what I know, the delay was Jobson's fault, and he had pulled a similar (though not as lengthy) stunt in 2010, when he performed at NEARfest with his all-star band The Ultimate Zero Project. That time we were lucky, and did not have to wait longer than one hour. In 2012, the performance should have started at 8:30 pm, but was delayed until at least 11.

ConfusedThumbs Down
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:38
What is Jobson's problem with delays?  Is he just changing his mind about his rig setup, or trying to build suspense, or what?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:06

What is Jobson's problem with delays?  Is he just changing his mind about his rig setup, or trying to build suspense, or what?
He has to clean his transparent violin until it will look really transparent.

Now seriously, this thing of show delays has sometimes also something to do with the place you are playing. In my native Spain everything and everybody is late and delayed, if a show is announced for 21h00, it would be a shock for many people if it started at 21h00, most people will expect it to start at 21h30 or 21h45.
Where I live now in Belgium it's different, people expect the time schedules to be respected and a delay of 15 min will be seen negatively.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:24
I love both albums.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:45
I bought it when it first came out and I was expecting something along the lines of the next logical step from Red so was disappointed (but of course with Holdsworth on board that wasn't going to happen but I had no idea who Holdsworth even was back then).  As the years have passed I've grown to enjoy it more (especially the whole In the Dead of Night suite) so give it a spin once in a while...   
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:49

Here's a pic of UK my friends took on the Cruise to the Edge thingy, thought I'd share it here.

Way cool! I wonder if Bozzio still uses a big 3 bass drum set with about 50 tom toms! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 17:25
I wonder if Bozzio still has that picture of Punky Meadows

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 17:52
^^ Izzat Bozzio in the hat ?? Surely can't be the guy on his right (left?? ) ??
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 18:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yes, Bozzio is in the hat.  The guy next to him who isn't Eddie Jobson is Andre', the boyfriend (is that the right word?) of one of my best friends, who took the picture.  Zappa fans may recognize Andre' as the leader of Project/Object, a Zappa tribute band (fronted by former Zappa singer Ike Willis), and he's worked with just about every musician in that scene I can think of.

-Kehlog Albran
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 19:55

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yes, Bozzio is in the hat.  The guy next to him who isn't Eddie Jobson is Andre', the boyfriend (is that the right word?) of one of my best friends, who took the picture.  Zappa fans may recognize Andre' as the leader of Project/Object, a Zappa tribute band (fronted by former Zappa singer Ike Willis), and he's worked with just about every musician in that scene I can think of.
Way cool !! Wetton could shed a few pounds...
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 20:31
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Surprising comments there, to me it's a masterpiece, they hit the nail of making top-quality music with a lot of the traditional prog qualities but sounding modern for its time. The musicianship is insane. Danger Money is also a fantastic album but I still prefer the self-titled.

This. 
It is definitely in my top 10 of all albums/all bands. 
StarStarStarStarStar

Same.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 20:53
UK is still a lasting favorite of mine. I like it better than Danger Money but I like that one too. I remember reading about it before it was released and I couldn't wait. I had the highest expectations imaginable. I was expecting King Crimson and Roxy Music with a touch of fusion. I didn't like the name though. Reminded me of Boston. Why name your band after the place where you live? Just sort of mundane. I ended up liking it even more than I expected.

A lot of my fondness has to do with the time of my life that it came out - right at high school graduation.

I saw them open for Tull on the Danger Money tour. I was amazed at how well they pulled it off as a 3-piece.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 10:21
In the Dead of Night......killer epic.....'nuff said..?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dave-the-rave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:19
I saw UK play in 1978 at the Madison (Movie) Theater in Albany, NY. Anyone else make that show???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12