Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDanger Money: UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 19:52
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Bought it in the early 90's on the grounds of Jobson's prescence (I was obsessing over Curved Air's Air Cut album) and thought it was awesome. Still do.
The Only Thing She Needs was a total knock-out. Come to think of it, I think I rate the album as a personal 5 star. I prefer it to the debut, and I love Night After Night heaps as well.

Night After Night is still one of my favorite live albums. It crackles with solar fire. The entire thing could stink and I'd keep it for "Nothing To Lose."
Should've been a double LP instead of what it is - I have to say I love the two new songs they performed here as well. Jobson's violin leads are just searing - esp. Time To Kill.

Absolutely. That's the only thing that could improve it. And ditto on the new songs.
Come to think of it, I probably listen to this live album more than the studio ones.....and there's nothing wrong with the new tracks, as some folks say.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 10:18
While I like the debut a bit more due to Holdsworth's presence... it's an excellent album and Jobson does a fine job.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 10:32
I try to play along with the bass to some of these songs - EPIC FAIL , really, only success is Nothing To Lose and Night After Night. They're somewhat easier. Wetton is sooo talented....
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:58

I try to play along with the bass to some of these songs - EPIC FAIL , really, only success is Nothing To Lose and Night After Night. They're somewhat easier. Wetton is sooo talented....
In the Dead of Night (not on Danger Money, I know) is hella fun to play, but it's one that you've got to keep playing regularly or it's pretty easy to get lost in the faster bits in the chorus. It was just one of those songs I was really keen to learn. Wetton is one of the best!  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 16:09
^Hear Hear. I don't think Wetton gets the kudos he deserves so it was nice to hear someone give the man some praise.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 16:52
He has come up with some of the best bass lines ever and it really shows how great bass lines can elevate the music to another level. His voice is excellent too. He's in my top 5 musos.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 18:33
^ Hey, no shortage of praise for Wetton from this end - he is just amazingly versatile, and incredibly creative, complex, and usually has a very chunky sound. He plays bass for so many artists, one example - Gordon Haskell, on his album It Is And It Isn't - such intricate and melodic lines he comes up with, most likely better than Haskell himself. Awesome in Crimso as well. Still plays well in Asia.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 20:25
for you Night After Night fans--  I mean, it's okay, but have you ever heard Concert Classics Vol. 4  ?   The recording is not as clean but the set is more interesting and the performance much superior.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 23:22
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

It's so different in feel from the 1st UK I nearly consider it a separate band.  I enjoy both albms but seeing UK open for Tull on the '79 Stormwatch tour makes Danger Money extra special Wink

Saw that '79 pairing at the San Diego Sports Arena with a girl I was trying to get busy with (do you care?). UK opened and was okay - they were doing their short show. We left two songs into 'Tull's set because at that point in time, I really had had enough of the band. Bad mistake. Friends who were there said it was a great show, to say the least. And that girl? We never went out again which broke my heart for about 10 years. One or two nights later, a buddy and I drove up to Santa Monica on a lark and attended UK's Santa Monica Civic show. I believe they had no opening act - just UK and a light show that appeared better than the San Diego appearance. An awesome milestone event in my life. Since then, I've relocated to West L.A. and the S.M. Civic isn't that far away. It's all shuttered up now, and there's been talk that it may be raised in the near future. It's sad to pass by it, but there was that one night that UK graced its stage.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 01:13

^ Hey, no shortage of praise for Wetton from this end - he is just amazingly versatile, and incredibly creative, complex, and usually has a very chunky sound. He plays bass for so many artists, one example - Gordon Haskell, on his album It Is And It Isn't - such intricate and melodic lines he comes up with, most likely better than Haskell himself. Awesome in Crimso as well. Still plays well in Asia.

The Viva Roxy Music live album is great as well where Jobson is also present. I guess that's where they first met.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 08:41
^ Yes - Viva Roxy - splendid album, and another that should've been a double, even if the recordings are from different gigs.....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

for you Night After Night fans--  I mean, it's okay, but have you ever heard Concert Classics Vol. 4  ?   The recording is not as clean but the set is more interesting and the performance much superior.
I'm guessing by your username that you prefer it because of the presence of Mr. Holdsworth.  Wink

I'm of the view that U.K. Mk. I and U.K. Mk. II are very different animals. One has a jazz drummer who could play rock. One has a rock drummer who could play jazz. Mk. II has keyboards move into the central spaces that no longer have to be shared with guitar.

As a pure live album, I prefer Night After Night but I don't think it's inferior to Concert Classics Vol. 4 by any means.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:23

I'm guessing by your username that you prefer it because of the presence of Mr. Holdsworth.  Wink

I'm of the view that U.K. Mk. I and U.K. Mk. II are very different animals. One has a jazz drummer who could play rock. One has a rock drummer who could play jazz. Mk. II has keyboards move into the central spaces that no longer have to be shared with guitar.

As a pure live album, I prefer Night After Night but I don't think it's inferior to Concert Classics Vol. 4 by any means.

It's interesting that the rock drummer (Bozzio) just played a major jazz club here in L.A.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Viva Roxy Music live album is great as well where Jobson is also present. I guess that's where they first met.

And wasn't Jobson brought in after the fact to sweeten part of Crimso's U.S.A.? And didn't Mr. Wetton produce and play on keyboard great Duncan Mackay's first album?

Edited by Rednight - December 19 2014 at 11:41
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 17:51
Duncan Mackay's first solo was Chimera - no Wetton, no bass guitar either....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Hear Hear. I don't think Wetton gets the kudos he deserves so it was nice to hear someone give the man some praise.

Indeed!  I've seen Wetton many times, dating back to LTIA era. 

I saw the first UK tour, it was uncanny how well John can play complicated bass lines AND sing simultaneously!  He's one of the best I've ever seen at this (as a bassist and vocalist, I know the challenge). 

My belief is that the first UK album was one of the best in the late 1970s.  Holdsworth smoked on that one!  Danger Money is a great effort, but I think it lacks for having a blazing guitarist.  

Holdsworth & Bruford kept it going on Bruford's solo works...."Sahara of Snow" was originally supposed to be a UK tune, but Bruford's band recorded it.  Jeff Berlin is another great singing bassist. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 21:34

No, actually;  I find NAN to be dull as compared with the fun and energy of CCV 4, Holdsworth or not.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 18:19

Duncan Mackay's first solo was Chimera - no Wetton, no bass guitar either....

So I was off by one album - BFD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12