Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMomentary Lapse and Division Bell: Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 08:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

all the MTV fans getting into them not knowing the name and mystique yet perhaps not knowing they were being served a steaming pile of sh*t 

This just had to be quoted, Micky certainly not sitting on the fence there LOL.

I don't totally agree but cannot fault the description which is wonderfully graphic!
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 08:55
Momentary Lapse is technically proficient but soulless.
Cant listen to it.

Division Bell - they got their mojo back. Solid album.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 12:22
Both excellent Floyd records.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 14:07
The Division Bell moreso than A Momentary Lapse for me.
Progrockdude
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:35
I also feel that Floyd ended with Animals... it did for me.
The Wall was more of a theater production and movie, but too slickly produced.

While some would argue that DSOTM is slickly produced, the drums actually have feel and movement as they did on Animals and WYWH. 

I think once the slick editing took over, a lot of the feel has been taken out of records. 

Seeing PF in a club must have been a really great experience.  I'm not into the Stadium Rock venues.  You can't see much except on a big video screen.  At that point you might as well just stay home and watch the DVD unless you are more there for the crowds like a sporting event.

The sound is always poor at the stadium venues.  It just can't be good in a huge open air venue. 

I know it's cool to say you were there and have a T shirt to prove it. 

I saw Floyd both on ML and DB tours and it was memorable, but not for the music.

My feeling is bands are best when they are still hungry.  Once they get rich things change because they all have big houses, trophy wives etc to maintain.  The music at that point has to pander to pleasing a more conservative audience. 

Floyd to me is a band that is rare in that they didn't do that right after DSOTM.  The two following albums were wonderful artistic works.  But I agree with Rick's statement that they were best when working together as a band.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 22:01
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

I also feel that Floyd ended with Animals... it did for me.
The Wall was more of a theater production and movie, but too slickly produced.

While some would argue that DSOTM is slickly produced, the drums actually have feel and movement as they did on Animals and WYWH. 

I think once the slick editing took over, a lot of the feel has been taken out of records. 

Seeing PF in a club must have been a really great experience.  I'm not into the Stadium Rock venues.  You can't see much except on a big video screen.  At that point you might as well just stay home and watch the DVD unless you are more there for the crowds like a sporting event.

The sound is always poor at the stadium venues.  It just can't be good in a huge open air venue. 

I know it's cool to say you were there and have a T shirt to prove it. 

I saw Floyd both on ML and DB tours and it was memorable, but not for the music.

My feeling is bands are best when they are still hungry.  Once they get rich things change because they all have big houses, trophy wives etc to maintain.  The music at that point has to pander to pleasing a more conservative audience. 

Floyd to me is a band that is rare in that they didn't do that right after DSOTM.  The two following albums were wonderful artistic works.  But I agree with Rick's statement that they were best when working together as a band.

You know a flip side of that is when a band can't quite draw the big crowds anymore. When Traffic reformed in 90s they were supposed to play a big outside venue in Chicago but couldn't sell enough tickets. They moved the show to a small indoor venue and I caught it. There was maybe 200 people there and the band took advantage of the situation to just enjoy themselves. The intimacy really made a difference. Winwood's guitar solo on Mr. Fantasy was especially amazing. I had also seen them open for The Grateful Dead that same summer and the difference was night and day.

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:48
The Division Bell: I really enjoy TDB and I consider it a 'true' Floyd album.

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason: I really love Gilmour's guitar work on AMLOR but the songwriting seems uninspired on many of the tracks. And I cannot hear any drumming that sounds like Mason, does anyone know which tracks he actually played on? The session drummers (and drum machines) they used don't really add any character to the songs, I really wish Mason had made the effort to play drums himself on all of the tracks. Likewise with Richard Wright, I can't really hear any keyboard parts that sound distinctively like him on AMLOR, unfortunately...

Edited by King Only - December 19 2014 at 11:49
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 22:19
Perhaps you would like some of the AMLOR songs better on Delicate Sound of Thunder. I believe on that album Nick and Rick should be more comfortable back in the band and doing their thing once again. My favourite songs on the album, "On the Turning Away" and "Yet Another Movie" sound much better on Delicate sound, for my taste.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:30
The final cut was the last great album they produced.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:36
Stunning song from The Final Cut, Pink Floyd The Final Cut HD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvARL0Hzcoo
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:47
Thanks for that Kati  A nice nightcap for me!...and I agree about Final Cut.    Smile

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Thanks for that Kati  A nice nightcap for me!...and I agree about Final Cut.    Smile

Awww Finnforest, .... "far from flying high in a clear blue sky"..... awwww you are so awesome, thank you!  Big hug to you, Hug thank you!
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 01:15
The ending guitar solo of Sorrow is so underrated!It's on par with Comfortably Numb in my opinion.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 01:22
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

The ending guitar solo of Sorrow is so underrated!It's on par with Comfortably Numb in my opinion.
oh wow yes Aliano, that beginning of Sorrow alone,....... brrrooommmneninenum .... wheeeewheeewhiiheeewhuummmm that guitar drone kills me, wow! ClapThumbs UpApproveand we then get the middle 80's beat annoying bit sounds again Big smilehugs Hugand at 4.02 Gilmour kills it again with his guitar solo Clap

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 01:32
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

oh wow yes Aliano, that beginning of Sorrow alone,....... brrrooommmneninenum .... wheeeewheeewhiiheeewhuummmm that guitar drone kills me, wow! ClapThumbs UpApproveand we then get the middle 80's beat annoying bit sounds again Big smilehugs Hugand at 4.02 Gilmour kills it again with his guitar solo Clap

Aliano, Comfortably numb is better tho' listen to this version, David Bowie (Richard Wright too) singing with Gilmour but OMG that guitar solo at 2.16 awww awwww more awww's ClapHeart and again at 4.39 best part  ApproveHug
listen to 6.26 to 6.32 again that high tune built up of overflowing layers never ending and 7.39 yet again another high tune.

Edited by Kati - December 20 2014 at 01:37
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:12

Aliano, Comfortably numb is better tho' listen to this version, David Bowie (Richard Wright too) singing with Gilmour but OMG that guitar solo at 2.16 awww awwww more awww's ClapHeart and again at 4.39 best part  ApproveHug
listen to 6.26 to 6.32 again that high tune built up of overflowing layers never ending and 7.39 yet again another high tune.

Wow Remember That Night!
I've always believed it's the best CN solo Gilmour has ever done.Even better than the Pulse version!Watch how the crowd lose it in the video!LOL

Emotionally Sorrow gets me like CN.Especially the Strat Anniversary
version:www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZEMiZmivjM  Heart
But overall CN has the best guitar solo of all time!

Edited by aliano - December 20 2014 at 02:15
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:26

Wow Remember That Night!
I've always believed it's the best CN solo Gilmour has ever done.Even better than the Pulse version!Watch how the crowd lose it in the video!LOL

Smile mhwoaaahhxxxxxx HeartHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:30

Wow Remember That Night!

Aliano, this is for you SmileDAVID GILMOUR - ECHOES ACOUSTIC VERSION   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc&list=RDhUYzQaCCt2o&index=19 hug Hug
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 05:10

The final cut was the last great album they produced.
TFC is my least favourite PF album: too much Waters, no Wright and Gilmour sounds like a guest guitarist. That's from someone who can't stand any Waters' solo stuff though Tongue
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:10
^ I'd argue that the increasingly bitter "social commentary" by Mr. Waters had already begun to visibly encroach on the PF music as early as in the Animals. 

By the way, I couldn't agree more with your description of TFC. But one must accept that there are people who like it, perhaps for the same reasons that you and I dislike it. Humans are fascinating creatures :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>