Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMomentary Lapse and Division Bell: Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:35
The Final Cut is an amazing production. Waters dominated or not, Gilmour puts in some great guitars, Mason does a decent job, and I really can't see what room there could've been for Rick's keyboards, as the keys are not much of a feature of the music.
Wright came 'back to life' on The Division Bell', and, as Dillinger stated, The Endless River is a perfect homage to the Great Man.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:53
^^ But Animals has some of the best Gilmour's guitar work powerful drums and incredibly spacey keyboards Cool
With all that going on I don't even notice the lyrics LOL

Don't get me wrong, I understand and respect those who like it. By the way, what do you think of Waters' solo albums?

Edited by Meltdowner - December 20 2014 at 06:53
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 07:07
^ Absolutely! The Animals is the most delightful 4.5-star album. I didn't say that it was deficient in any way; but you could feel that the philosophical and emotional center of gravity had already begun to shift towards Waters, which brought Pink Floyd on the path to TFC and the eventual breakdown. 

Regarding Waters's solo work: a good band is always greater than the arithmetic sum of its members. As a member of Pink Floyd, Waters was an incredible creative force. On his own? for fans only, I'm afraid, with a couple of good moments here and there.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 07:11
The Body was experimental, but holds a great song in Chain Of Life.
Pros And Cons is excellent.
Don't like K.A.O.S. much, 2 or 3 good songs at best - Me Or Him, Home, Four Minutes....
Amused To Death was his pinnacle. Great album.
Afterwards, I haven't followed up.........
Still, when I watch Live At Pompeii, I know why I chose the bass as my instrument of choice - Waters is righteous on this film............that funky jam in the 2nd half of Echoes part 1 - and Gilmour just blows on his strat........
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 08:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Don't sweat it, Tom, neither has Roger!

(well, if you don't count his opera)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:06
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

The ending guitar solo of Sorrow is so underrated!It's on par with Comfortably Numb in my opinion.

oh wow yes Aliano, that beginning of Sorrow alone,....... brrrooommmneninenum .... wheeeewheeewhiiheeewhuummmm that guitar drone kills me, wow! ClapThumbs UpApproveand we then get the middle 80's beat annoying bit sounds again Big smilehugs Hugand at 4.02 Gilmour kills it again with his guitar solo Clap

Aliano, Comfortably numb is better tho' listen to this version, David Bowie (Richard Wright too) singing with Gilmour but OMG that guitar solo at 2.16 awww awwww more awww's ClapHeart and again at 4.39 best part  ApproveHug
listen to 6.26 to 6.32 again that high tune built up of overflowing layers never ending and 7.39 yet again another high tune.

Wow Remember That Night!
I've always believed it's the best CN solo Gilmour has ever done.Even better than the Pulse version!Watch how the crowd lose it in the video!LOL

Emotionally Sorrow gets me like CN.Especially the Strat Anniversary
version:<cite ="_rm"="">www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZEMiZmivjM</cite>  Heart
But overall CN has the best guitar solo of all time!

Aliano, this is for you SmileDAVID GILMOUR - ECHOES ACOUSTIC VERSION   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc&list=RDhUYzQaCCt2o&index=19 hug Hug

Actually, I was never particularly thrilled by Sorrow's guitar solo... perhaps I'd need to listen to it again. I certainly like Comfortably Numb's guitar solo better (perhaps the one song in which I like the guitar solo better is High Hopes). As for my favourite version of CN, I must go with the one on Delicate Sound of Thunder... but then that version has that heavier beginning which sounds just great for me. About the version on Remember that Night... I think it was just OK on my book... but the version on Live in Gdansk is indeed wonderful for me (with Wright on vocals too), with a string orchestra if I remember well, and longer than the version on Remember that Night (also, if I remember well).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:12
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The final cut was the last great album they produced.
TFC is my least favourite PF album: too much Waters, no Wright and Gilmour sounds like a guest guitarist. That's from someone who can't stand any Waters' solo stuff though Tongue

I think you got Kati's words wrong... for her it's the last album Pink Floyd did that she found to be great, not the one that she likes the least. As for me, the last (not least) Pink Floyd great album was The Division Bell... well, at least up until this year, now it's The Endless River . However, for me The Final Cut is a good album, but not among my favourites from them... I guess it would be at about the same position as Momentary Lapse. There are some great moments on FC, and very emotional ones. And once again, I think it's an album that's best apreciated if heard as a whole, instead of in parts.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:14
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Don't sweat it, Tom, neither has Roger!

(well, if you don't count his opera)

Well, perhaps Roger hasn't released any albums since, but he has written a few ones that he has played live, even one released on his best of album. However, the one that I really love, and which is a real gem in my book, is "Each Small Candle", which he released on his "In the Flesh" live album.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Perhaps you would like some of the AMLOR songs better on Delicate Sound of Thunder. I believe on that album Nick and Rick should be more comfortable back in the band and doing their thing once again. My favourite songs on the album, "On the Turning Away" and "Yet Another Movie" sound much better on Delicate sound, for my taste.

Okay, I will have to give Delicate Sound Of Thunder a listen. Strange that I consider myself a huge Floyd fan but I have never bought DSOT. It's now on my shopping list.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:59
Yes. Both albums have good songs. Maybe "The Division Bell" is better as they re-captured some of the old Pink Floyd sound they had before Waters almost dominated everything (music and lyrics), which was with "Animals" and more particularly with "The Wall", an album which I don`t like with the exception of the songs which were co-written by Gilmour. For me, Gilmour-Mason-Wright sounded more as Pink Floyd than Waters alone. 
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:07
"The Final Cut" also has some good songs, but it was more a solo album by Waters released under the PF name. "AMLOR" was more like a first step done by Gilmour without Waters, but the live versions of the songs from that album are better with Mason and Wright playing them.
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:30
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Yes. Both albums have good songs. Maybe "The Division Bell" is better as they re-captured some of the old Pink Floyd sound they had before Waters almost dominated everything (music and lyrics), which was with "Animals" and more particularly with "The Wall", an album which I don`t like with the exception of the songs which were co-written by Gilmour. For me, Gilmour-Mason-Wright sounded more as Pink Floyd than Waters alone. 

Good to know I am not alone Clap
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:47
Prefer The Final Cut to both of them, so I guess not. I ought to revisit them though, there were some great moments on those 2 albums, but mostly mediocre.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:30
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Regarding Waters's solo work: a good band is always greater than the arithmetic sum of its members. As a member of Pink Floyd, Waters was an incredible creative force. On his own? for fans only, I'm afraid, with a couple of good moments here and there.
For Waters fans only is probably more adequate Tongue

Still, when I watch Live At Pompeii, I know why I chose the bass as my instrument of choice - Waters is righteous on this film............that funky jam in the 2nd half of Echoes part 1 - and Gilmour just blows on his strat........
And I know why I chose the guitar as my instrument of choice Smile

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think you got Kati's words wrong... for her it's the last album Pink Floyd did that she found to be great, not the one that she likes the least. As for me, the last (not least) Pink Floyd great album was The Division Bell... well, at least up until this year, now it's The Endless River . However, for me The Final Cut is a good album, but not among my favourites from them... I guess it would be at about the same position as Momentary Lapse. There are some great moments on FC, and very emotional ones. And once again, I think it's an album that's best apreciated if heard as a whole, instead of in parts.
I understood perfectly, I was just stating my opinion about it. I never connected emotionally with FC and I don't know if I will, on the other hand TDB for me is very emotive probably because I connect with Gilmour's and Wright's playing much more than lyrics Ermm

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Couldn't agree more Thumbs Up
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:38
I like them ok I guess. I don't really listen to them all that much (small understatement), although I did spin AMLOR here the other day and felt it was a 'nice listen'. 
None of em stick it's hand down my trousers though.
The Final Cut? YikesSick I'd rather stick my penis in a light socket.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:49
OuchLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:02
Don't worry Sam. I'm gonna skip that last part and simply just stay away from the album instead. Seems like the adult thing to doApprove That way I also keep my nether regions fit for making babies and weeing whilst standing up.

The Final Cut suffers from the same problem as any other Roger Waters album: waaaaaaaay too much Waters and not enough music. Apart from Amused to Death, which I like, he's always about an inch away from a sung (well sung is perhaps the wrong verb. Shouted?) rap album. Hell, just take a look at the lyric sheets to those albums. They read like the freakin bible! If I want an album with words, I'll put on Waits' NighthawksBig smile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:59
That's probably better LOL

True, there are also those things called books Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:05
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Final Cut? YikesSick I'd rather stick my penis in a light socket. 

Are you threatening light sockets with violence?

Thank you for helping me make a connection between rap and Waters. I kind of always knew that rap is not really music; it's a different form of art - rhythm-assisted story-telling, I guess? 

I am one of those people who believe that lyrics in general are (statistically) more likely to distract from the music than to contribute to it. 

Edited by Argonaught - December 21 2014 at 09:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:16
LOLLOLLOL

Always!!!!

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>