Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoll The Bones & Test For Echo: Rush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roll The Bones & Test For Echo: Rush
    Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:12
Two Rush albums that never grabbed me. What's your take on Roll the Bones and Test for Echo?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:35
I'm with ya brother on those two. 

I've totally and happily regressed with Rush these days.  Just give me the first four albums and I'm happy.  I can't get enough of the youthful aggression and immediacy that exploded in their playing before they became "sophisticated"  

Edited by Finnforest - December 16 2014 at 20:19

Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 20:15
I think "Roll the Bones" is a great album that rides on the strength of "Dreamline", "Ghost Of A Chance", and "The Big Wheel", the last of which is one of my favorite tracks from any band ever. I despise "Test For Echo", though, easily Rush's worst album.

Edited by Stereolab - December 16 2014 at 20:18
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 21:36
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

I think "Roll the Bones" is a great album that rides on the strength of "Dreamline", "Ghost Of A Chance", and "The Big Wheel", the last of which is one of my favorite tracks from any band ever. I despise "Test For Echo", though, easily Rush's worst album.

Yeah, I'm going to echo Stereolab here.  "Roll the Bones" has many great songs, I'm a huge fan of 'Bravado' and have a soft spot for 'Bet Your Life' in addition to the ones that you mention.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 21:47
I played the hell out of Test for Echo when it came out, but it hasn't stood the test of time, other than maybe "Driven".

Roll the Bones has some pretty good stuff.  "Dreamline" is a great show opener.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:06
Yea...Test for Echo got played a lot too...I love Driven. Roll the Bones is much better with the songs mentioned already.
Two of their lesser liked albums by most and I think there is good reason, some transition going on in the band, even though it was not in your face transitions.

They still came out smelling like roses.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:35
These albums are definitely near the bottom of my favorites list from their whole catalog, but since every album is a quality release, that's not saying much.

Roll the Bones took some getting used to. Bravado is the highlight on this album. Dreamline, The Big Wheel, the title track (though a bit goofy) are all strong songs, and the closer, You Bet Your Life is good too. I don't think there's a weak song on this album, but I will also admit that I don't play it nearly as often as most of their other albums. I'm a huge fan of Presto, and I could argue that Roll the Bones is a poor man's Presto.

Test for Echo quickly grabbed my attention, but also just as quickly lost it. I haven't a clue why. But after a while, it began growing on me again, and now I do enjoy it a lot. At first, it just sounded too 'heavy for no reason'. I liked that at first, but that was the same reason I quickly dismissed it. Now I've let the sound sink in, and can see beyond the extra distortion, and so I find many good tracks on this album. Totem is grand, The Color of Right, Driven, the title track, and Carve away the Stone are all stellar in my opinion. And every other track is also enjoyable.

Between the two, I'd definitely pick Test for Echo. As for where I'd rank them compared to their other studio albums, only their debut do I rank below these, and maybe Fly by Night, depending on my mood. But again, that's just a testament to their ability to release good albums.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 17:52
Roll The Bones has some great moments, but I hardly ever listen to it. Test For Echo is probably Rush's worst album - prefer Presto to both of them.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 19:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Two Rush albums that never grabbed me. What's your take on Roll the Bones and Test for Echo?

If you take the best songs from Presto, Roll The Bones and Test For Echo, you might arrive at one of the best Rush albums ever.

Show Don't Tell
Chain Lightning
Available Light
Dreamline
Bravado
Roll The Bones
The Big Wheel
Driven
Time + Motion
Totem
Resist
Limbo

That would be one mean dozen right there. Those three albums are unanimously regarded as the three most uneven in the band's catalogue (at least until Snakes & Arrow arrived, IMO). It's Counterparts, which is riveting from start to finish, that stands out as the odd dog in the bunch because it's leagues better than any of the albums above from the "4th quadrant" that Rush closed out with Different Stages.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 19:37

I despise "Test For Echo", though, easily Rush's worst album.
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Test For Echo is probably Rush's worst album

I don't think it's necessarily "worse" than either Presto or Roll The Bones.

I do think these three albums contain the worst songs in the band's discog, though:

Anagram (I know a lot of people like it, but I don't)
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life (this one is probably THE worst)
Virtuality

Some of these songs aren't that bad musically, but they're marred by some inexplicably uninspired lyrics.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 19:50
Roll The Bones is an excellent album. Test For Echo just did not grab me as much. Bravado off RTB is a stunner!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:14
Good to see some love for Roll The Bones. I always thought that a bit under appreciated. It was around this time my interest was revitalised in them having waned toward the back end of the eighties (although that was the case with many bands). Test For Echo was I understand heavily influenced by the grunge scene so its easy to see why people take pot shots at it. It has some good songs so I like it for that.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:04
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Yeah, I'm going to echo Stereolab here.  "Roll the Bones" has many great songs, I'm a huge fan of 'Bravado' and have a soft spot for 'Bet Your Life' in addition to the ones that you mention.
roll the bones is a great albumThumbs Up
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:04
Roll the Bones has done nothing but grow on me, and I now can say I like all of the songs there, even if some of the parts are still grating.  It's a great album with several songs that get even more powerful when they are performed live (the title track has some real teeth on the Rush in Rio DVD).

When I first left home, Test for Echo was a constant companion.  It kept me company on many long, lonely drives to work (I taught guitar an hour away from where I lived).  The songs explored science, religion, the brevity of life, and self-determination.  It gave me a lot to think about during that year.  I still love the music on that album, but I do not listen to it often now, simply because those songs transport me back to a giddily uncertain though more carefree time in my life. 
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:14
Roll the Bones has always been one of my favorites from Rush. The older I get the more I seem to enjoy their "sophisticated" years. Dreamline blows me away every time (especially amazing live on the Different Stages album, guitar like a chainsaw!) and Bravado still sends chills down my neck. Ghost of a Chance was always one of my favorite Rush songs as well and when they broke into that on the Snakes & Arrows tour when my friend and I were in the 2nd row we started jumping up and down like school girls

T4E on the other hand has only just started to grow on me and was always my least favorite of the catalog. That still puts it miles ahead of other albums I've heard in my life, mind you! I find it has good moments but overall is uneven and shows a band slowing down. Their hiatus was caused by much more tragic circumstances, but they were energized when they finally returned with Vapor Trails, and it shows.

Half the World is a beautiful song with a brilliant music video (for those who haven't seen it, I definitely recommend checking it out!), Time and Motion shows a little hidden bit of aggression from the days of old and Resist is a calming, mindful piece that can always bring me back down to earth much in the way Bravado can.

That being said, I don't think that a hardcore Rush fan should be without T4E - just maybe get to it a bit later...
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:19
I'm not a big fan of Roll the Bones anymore, used to love it as a kid though. The only songs from RTB I really enjoy now are Dreamline, Neurotica, and I have a soft spot for Face Up and You Bet Your Life.

Test for Echo however, I love that album. I've honestly never understood the hate. I love the title track, Driven, Half the World, Time and Motion, and quite a few more. A good 4 star album IMO.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:34
I have never heard Test for Echo. Roll the Bones disappointed me even more than Presto.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:42
I love Test for Echo.
I like Roll the Bones.

fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 00:03
Love Test for Echo.