Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTest Your Pitch Discrimination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 03:30
My first attempt was 98,5%, this is the third. After that, one more, but I couldn't manage 100%...Who'll beat me now !!

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 0.46875 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 99.9% of people who took our test!
The Son of Gorp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 20:30
At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 1.25 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 93.9% of people who took our test!

A lot better than I expected!
When Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik, you just know.
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:10
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

My first attempt was 98,5%, this is the third. After that, one more, but I couldn't manage 100%...Who'll beat me now !!

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 0.46875 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 99.9% of people who took our test!

Nice! Shocked

Originally posted by The Son of Gorp The Son of Gorp wrote:

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 1.25 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 93.9% of people who took our test!

A lot better than I expected!

Also nice!

So here's a question for you two with good pitch discrimination - does music drive you totally insane unless everything is perfectly in tune?
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:25
I can dance.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I can dance.
You've got me beat. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:32

That sounds like perfect pitch. Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:41
Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

So here's a question for you two with good pitch discrimination - does music drive you totally insane unless everything is perfectly in tune?

I don't think it matters too much to me if it's out of tune, I play both piano and trombone so I think that might be why I can tell pitches pretty well. 

Although, when I'm playing music, I get pretty frustrated with how I sound a lot, actually. When other people hear me play, they say what I play sounds good. I don't know if that's them not knowing pitch or they're just being nice LOL Maybe I'm just being too harsh on myself.

Oddly enough, as I'm listening to music right now, I am hearing the slightest bit of pitch difference where I haven't before. I don't like it, so maybe if I try really hard I can hate music with sheer force of will LOL

Edited by The Son of Gorp - January 14 2015 at 16:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:46
^I hear you on that for sure, I want to rip my hair out half the time whenever I'm playing an instrument or singing.  I know what it should sound like but I don't always get there.

"...hate music with sheer force of will"
LOL

I find my own hate to occur accidentally!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 18:02
I thought my hate occurred accidentally too, but it just might be my sensitive ears LOL
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 06:35
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

That sounds like perfect pitch. Clap

This test is only about short-time pitch memory, and "perfect" would detect infinitely small variations, but after a long time without hearing music, when being told to sing a particular note (within my vocal range)  I'd sing it and it'd be the right note indeed !, with a very small out-of-tunness margin . That's what's (pompously) also called the "absolute ear" !!

High scores also means that no micro-tinnitus prevents us from hearing correctly ?

Actually, not strictly in tune can feel very spicy, and I love deciphering the harmonies in some synth sounds or free jam sessions, how they're not tuned like a piano but still relate to each other, and "translate" into emotions, or images, etc.

When a melody comes into my mind, it's hardly ever tuned to A3=440Hz and I don't "check" which notes (are closest to the ones) I'm thinking of, unless I want to write them down on a part...

I happened to sing in choirs and felt uncomfortable, but also found it quite funny when all those serious, brilliant people got out of tune (that never happens in orchestras, where instrums have their pitch secured, at worst we'd hear sparse slippery notes).
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 16:46

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 3.9375 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 61.8% of people who took our test!

Not bad, for a prog reviewing bass player I think.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 17:37

That sounds like perfect pitch. Clap

This test is only about short-time pitch memory, and "perfect" would detect infinitely small variations, but after a long time without hearing music, when being told to sPng a particular note (within my vocal range)  I'd sing it and it'd be the right note indeed !, with a very small out-of-tunness margin . That's what's (pompously) also called the "absolute ear" !!

High scores also means that no micro-tinnitus prevents us from hearing correctly ?
Perfect pitch actually doesn't detect infinitely small variations. Perfect pitch is developed when you're very young. It simply comes from hearing lots of "in tune" music early on such that the pitches become ingrained in your subconscious. Basically, you'd be able to hear pitch difference more clearly because you'd also be able to hear or feel its relationship to Western pitches. That's why before A=440Hz was established as the official tuning, people with perfect pitch in different cities would disagree on tuning.

A gal with perfect pitch I'm friends with got 98.5% the first time as well. Being able to sing a note without hearing music recently, it seems you most definitely have perfect pitch, which might be the "absolute ear" you're referring to.

Actually, not strictly in tune can feel very spicy, and I love deciphering the harmonies in some synth sounds or free jam sessions, how they're not tuned like a piano but still relate to each other, and "translate" into emotions, or images, etc.

And I get what you mean about out-of-tune sounds sometimes adding spice to music. I particularly love gamelan music which doesn't stick to Western pitches.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 18:54
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 23 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 14.2% of people who took our test! Approve
Did it again and got:

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 2.375 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 77.8% of people who took our test!

So it must be mostly luck.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 00:30

it seems you most definitely have perfect pitch, which might be the "absolute ear" you're referring to.

No doubt about it, I have this ability, but don't you feel the commonly used words "perfect" or "absolute" sound, well, out of tune... It's the way we call the ability to memorize pitch, long time, but anyone who can (at best) distinguish (and thus memorize) 0,5/500Hz variations's still far from the "absolutely perfect" ear that would dectect infinitely small variations.

I particularly love gamelan music which doesn't stick to Western pitches.

Gamelan devices can be a treat indeed ! though I haven't learnt to listen to gamelan without comparing its sounds to notes on a piano, as if we were saying "this gamelan note is made of a sharped C4 + a low detuned F2," etc.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 07:13

When a melody comes into my mind, it's hardly ever tuned to A3=440Hz and I don't "check" which notes (are closest to the ones) I'm thinking of, unless I want to write them down on a part...

I happened to sing in choirs and felt uncomfortable, but also found it quite funny when all those serious, brilliant people got out of tune (that never happens in orchestras, where instrums have their pitch secured, at worst we'd hear sparse slippery notes).

That's exactly where I am, too.  Interesting that we seem to enjoy similar things in music even with very different pitch discrimination abilities.  When music is too perfect I often find it to feel emotionless, robotic.  Not always, though.

Perfect pitch actually doesn't detect infinitely small variations. Perfect pitch is developed when you're very young. It simply comes from hearing lots of "in tune" music early on such that the pitches become ingrained in your subconscious. Basically, you'd be able to hear pitch difference more clearly because you'd also be able to hear or feel its relationship to Western pitches. That's why before A=440Hz was established as the official tuning, people with perfect pitch in different cities would disagree on tuning.

A gal with perfect pitch I'm friends with got 98.5% the first time as well. Being able to sing a note without hearing music recently, it seems you most definitely have perfect pitch, which might be the "absolute ear" you're referring to.

[QUOTE=Polymorphia]

And even now A=440 Hz is just the American tuning.  European orchestras keep bumping this up and up and up to make the strings sound brighter, which makes it tough on the brass.  I personally prefer warmer strings and am very happy with A=440 Hz.

I definitely do not have perfect pitch, only relative.  If I haven't heard the note I'm supposed to sing recently, I have to take a wild guess as to where in my voice it is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 07:15

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 23 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 14.2% of people who took our test! Approve
Did it again and got:

At 500 Hz you can reliably hear pitch differences of 2.375 Hz, which means you did better than approximately 77.8% of people who took our test!

So it must be mostly luck.

When I do this, I get about the same result consistently.  I'm wondering if maybe you changed something?  Was there more background noise the first time or were you wearing headphones the second time?  Curious!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 11:33

it seems you most definitely have perfect pitch, which might be the "absolute ear" you're referring to.

No doubt about it, I have this ability, but don't you feel the commonly used words "perfect" or "absolute" sound, well, out of tune... It's the way we call the ability to memorize pitch, long time, but anyone who can (at best) distinguish (and thus memorize) 0,5/500Hz variations's still far from the "absolutely perfect" ear that would dectect infinitely small variations.
True. If only we had perfect language to compensate. Wink
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 12:27

When music is too perfect I often find it to feel emotionless, robotic.  Not always, though.

Actually anyone not standing slight detunes would just hate vibratos on a violin, and be called a crippled autist !
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 13:20
"Get Adobe Flash Player"

Fail!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12