Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs. Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which Rush album was strategically and culturally more important?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [46.39%]
52 [53.61%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush vs. Rush
    Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:17
That is to say, which album made the band more vital and viable to their pantheon of fans and the multitude that followed.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:20
From my perspective, it was Moving Pictures without a doubt.  I was on the brink of entering my teens and it was the first Rush album I was aware of.  So culturally and strategically, as you put it, it had an enormous effect on me and others in my age bracket.   A Farewell to Kings was just an "older" Rush album that I found out about later.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:24
Although it's far from being my fave of theirs, Id still say Moving Pictures, which also is the one I voted for. I do prefer A Farewell to Kings though - mostly because of Cygnus and Xanadu. The rest I can do without:-P

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:30
Farewell to Kings is one of the few Rush albums I enjoy. Moving Pictures isn't.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:32
As the question is posed, clearly Moving Pics is the answer.  This isn't "which one do you like better?" 

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:36
Moving Pictures made them more accessible, but I prefer A Farewell To Kings Confused
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:38
Moving Pictures
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:46
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

From my perspective, it was Moving Pictures without a doubt.  I was on the brink of entering my teens and it was the first Rush album I was aware of.  So culturally and strategically, as you put it, it had an enormous effect on me and others in my age bracket.   A Farewell to Kings was just an "older" Rush album that I found out about later.

This was my experience in school at the time.  Prior to MPics, Rush was only on the radar of a very small number of kids.  When Moving Pics dropped Rush quickly moved into the top tier on rock radio, and seemed suddenly to have as many fans as Zep or the The Who did. 

I do recall some of the hard core Rush fans at the time really resenting Pics for that reason.  They liked their band being underground and long-winded.  They hated Tom Sawyer with fury.  LOL

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:48
Do people read the questions?

Obviously it is Moving Pictures.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:58
Clockwork Angels
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:02
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Yeah, I am struggling to see how ATFK is winning this poll.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Yeah, I am struggling to see how ATFK is winning this poll.

It's a poll, must be asking which album i listen to more.
Also: Where is Genesis?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:23
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

This was my experience in school at the time.  Prior to MPics, Rush was only on the radar of a very small number of kids.  When Moving Pics dropped Rush quickly moved into the top tier on rock radio, and seemed suddenly to have as many fans as Zep or the The Who did. 

I do recall some of the hard core Rush fans at the time really resenting Pics for that reason.  They liked their band being underground and long-winded.  They hated Tom Sawyer with fury.  LOL

I guess I needed to say at the beginning that I had little to no idea who Rush was when I first heard them. A few years earlier in high school, there was some nutty rumor going around that they were the house band at some bar down on Sports Arena Boulevard in San Diego, my hometown. Later in '77, a few Rush fanatics moved in down the street and played for me parts of Fly By Night. Lee's high register vocals struck me as odd, and I could take them or leave them. A Farewell To Kings promptly changed that opinion. Short songs - long songs - it all was magically good and dramatically showed how well these guys played and how firmly they had their fingers on the pulse of prog. Moving Pictures a few short years later only served to reaffirm my thoughts on the band, but it wasn't as pure as 'Kings. It probably did bring them a whole new legion of fans though.

Edited by Rednight - December 19 2014 at 13:22
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:32
I could see how in certain circles AFTK would seem more culturally impactful. For people who were prog fans in the 70s, the album kind of cemented their position as a noteworthy prog band, i.e. the crucial follow-up to their first big success, 2112, a confirmation that "epics is where we're at". My generation experienced it differently, that's all.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:34
Clearly Moving Pictures from my standpoint.  Tom Sawyer was all over the airwaves and brought the kind of exposure to Rush that AFTK never did.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:37
Moving Pictures was when they rose to the attention of the mainstream and became more than an increasingly popular cult band.  I had known of them long before this and had a couple of their albums.  Farewell to Kings was one more step in them becoming a major act, but the culmination of the process was MP.  Fly By Night, 2112, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves were all part of this progression, each album gaining more and more attention.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:39
I read a piece on Rush once that noted that every fourth Rush album seems to be a "culmination" of sorts, capping off an era of the band with a strong consolidation of their strengths to that point.  2112 was the first of these, tipping off their signature proggy phase, and then Moving Pictures was the next "culmination", pointing the way towards their synthesizer successes in the early 80s.  Hold Your Fire would be the next one - an album that inspires a divided opinion, but it's a favorite of mine, and I think of it as the their quintessential "synth" album, for better or worse.  The next such four-album landmark would be.... uh.. Test for Echo?  Their entry into the post-Desert Storm era?  Whatever.  That's what music journos are for.

-Kehlog Albran
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 13:10

I could see how in certain circles AFTK would seem more culturally impactful. For people who were prog fans in the 70s, the album kind of cemented their position as a noteworthy prog band, i.e. the crucial follow-up to their first big success, 2112, a confirmation that "epics is where we're at". My generation experienced it differently, that's all.

Just looked up album sales to serve as a proxy for "importance/relevance" and lo and behold...AFTK actually sold better in the UK than did MP, whereas in the US I think MP sold 4x as well.  I do recall some of our Brit friends saying that AFTK was pretty big over there at the time, so I concede my initial reaction was probably a US-centric one.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 13:14

Moving Pictures without a doubt.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 13:29
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Just looked up album sales to serve as a proxy for "importance/relevance" and lo and behold...AFTK actually sold better in the UK than did MP, whereas in the US I think MP sold 4x as well.  I do recall some of our Brit friends saying that AFTK was pretty big over there at the time, so I concede my initial reaction was probably a US-centric one.

Wow, I would never have guessed that to be the case.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>