Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRating problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rating problem?
    Posted: December 19 2014 at 16:25
What's wrong with the ratings for this album? It says overall 2.50 stars, from 4 reviews, but the overview only shows a single 4 star review....

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 16:36
probably three ratings were deleted by admins due to some violation, where the calculation has not been updated automatically

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 16:56
^ yes, this what happens - and it would stay skewed like this until someone adds another rating. 

Which I have just done, rating it at 3 stars (temporarily), and the rating went to 3.5 average. But, between Youtube and their web page I have only managed to find 4 of the tracks; where would I look for the rest of them to make sure my rating is based on the whole album? 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 17:25
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ yes, this what happens - and it would stay skewed like this until someone adds another rating. 

Which I have just done, rating it at 3 stars (temporarily), and the rating went to 3.5 average. But, between Youtube and their web page I have only managed to find 4 of the tracks; where would I look for the rest of them to make sure my rating is based on the whole album? 

You have clearly stated your disdain for ratings manipulation on another thread on the forum:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60970&PID=5085407#5085407

Yet seem oblivious to the hideous irony of having freely admitted to rating an album based entirely on incomplete internet streaming sources. Where would you look for the rest of the tracks to make sure your rating is based on the whole album? maybe a record store or a public lending library?
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 20:50
^ Discovering "hidden gems" like Hábitat is a fascinating and rewarding process. It has to begin somewhere, and it may take a while. In this case, the process started with a snippet of info in this thread. I am glad I followed this hint and learned more about the Utensilios Y Artilugios. From what's available on SoundCloud, their web page and other public sources, I have concluded that to my taste it's a solid, 3-star album - or better. Good enough to purchase the CD. 

A first impression is probably legit for a rating only. I do not feel I am less competent, or less entitled to sound my opinion than a person who only uses the Internet to listen to their music.  

A review, as opposed to a rating, requires quite a bit more circumspection and analyses. Once I have purchased the CD and listened to it a few times, I will likely be posting a review and may be amending the rating. 

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:49
^ I don't understand why you would rate any album if you hadn't heard any/all of it. Although I applaud your candour here why is admitting to this practice somehow less disingenuous than newbies submitting 1 or 5 star rating only reviews?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:01
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I'd have to check. I got a review copy through Background Magazine, haven't checked whether they are on bandcamp or somewhere else.

There's a sales link at the bottom of the album page on their web site. You could've seen that yourself: http://www.habitatmusica.com/#!albums/c1xop

Edited by Angelo - December 20 2014 at 06:04
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply