Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Portland  Reg. Semi Fin 1 - Camel v. Gentle Giant
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPortland Reg. Semi Fin 1 - Camel v. Gentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who is your band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [44.19%]
48 [55.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 19:24
Camelus dromedarius.
Guigo

~~~~~~
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 19:37
Gentle Giant - no contest

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:30
The Knights of Camelot ... again.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:39
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Good choice using Knots as the sample. When did Camel ever come up with anything even half as interesting?

Indeed LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:43
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Good choice using Knots as the sample. When did Camel ever come up with anything even half as interesting?

Indeed LOL

Wink  chosen for several reasons.  And yes.. that was a major intended point. The other being ... that sample .. perhaps more than any single PA's song sample has probably completely enthalled new proggies and turned them onto a specific group.  Really few groups really did something that interesting .. and definitely as few did something that distinctive. Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:24
Camel.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Indeed LOL

Wink  chosen for several reasons.  And yes.. that was a major intended point. The other being ... that sample .. perhaps more than any single PA's song sample has probably completely enthalled new proggies and turned them onto a specific group.  Really few groups really did something that interesting .. and definitely as few did something that distinctive. Clap

Yeah, one of the few prog groups that could claim contrapuntal vocal harmonies as their signature, as the one thing that makes them unique. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:39
I like both, but Camel it is.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 01:57

Indeed LOL

I love my Gentle Giant, but to contrast to your Knots: What about Supertwister? High-speed, signature, Camel-sound. Short, complex, many movements, like your Knots. 

While I love Gentle Giant, after I finish that album, I don't think, 'S**t, I need to take a second to let that sink in...' like after listening to The Snow Goose. After the ending Great Marsh dies out, I have to take a breather from music. I let La Princesse soak in, because it's that good.

Edited by Raccoon - December 21 2014 at 02:14
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 02:02
Er, in the ELP-Camel poll, I compared Supertwister to the Canterbury band Supersister and somebody opined that Supertwister was perhaps too mild to be similar to Canterbury.  I like that track a lot by the way, but I can only comment on how relaxing it is.  It's not even close to as zany as Knots.  Nearly all of GG is zany and therein their biggest asset and liability.  It's hard to emotionally relate to them (at least for me) but, as I mentioned in my review of Octopus, that's like asking why there's so little overtaking in Formula 1.  When GG is so mind boggling that it takes a few listens, at first, just to understand what's going on, emotions can come later.  LOL
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 02:12

Er, in the ELP-Camel poll, I compared Supertwister to the Canterbury band Supersister and somebody opined that Supertwister was perhaps too mild to be similar to Canterbury.  I like that track a lot by the way, but I can only comment on how relaxing it is.  It's not even close to as zany as Knots.  Nearly all of GG is zany and therein their biggest asset and liability.  It's hard to emotionally relate to them (at least for me) but, as I mentioned in my review of Octopus, that's like asking why there's so little overtaking in Formula 1.  When GG is so mind boggling that it takes a few listens, at first, just to understand what's going on, emotions can come later.  LOL
I never understood the comparison of Camel to Canterbury (besides that strange Breathless-era!) but you're right. Nothing compares to the 'zaniness' of GG. No band in the history of bands out of all the bands in the world sound like Gentle Giant, and that says something. They're mad geniuses. I just find my emotional connections with Camel. They're one of the first real, real prog bands I discovered. Bought Snow Goose on iTunes (because every 15-year-old boy loves iTunes) and was stunned. I listened to Pink Floyd, a bit of early Genesis, but never made that connection. Camel sparked the flame!!
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 02:16
I don't really disagree (besides you are describing your tastes and far be it for me to comment).  I do find GG lacking in emotional resonance and it is their brilliance in composition as well as in rendering said compositions that I love.  Camel, while a lot more staid, can be more emotionally satisfying if you are patient with their approach.  Latimer's leads hardly need to be mentioned.  I still love Mirage.  Not so sure about their other albums.  
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 02:41

"The Sleeper", for instance. Broken up into parts with distinctive instrumental spots, featuring something in 10/8 ... or 9/8 ... alternating with 4/4 or ... 7/8. ... Wacko ... Big smile

I've always felt "Knots" was rather unfocused, i.e. too loose rhythmically and harmonically.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 21 2014 at 02:44
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 02:58
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Indeed LOL

I love my Gentle Giant, but to contrast to your Knots: What about Supertwister? High-speed, signature, Camel-sound. Short, complex, many movements, like your Knots. 

While I love Gentle Giant, after I finish that album, I don't think, 'S**t, I need to take a second to let that sink in...' like after listening to The Snow Goose. After the ending Great Marsh dies out, I have to take a breather from music. I let La Princesse soak in, because it's that good.

Same with me.

Once I've listened to The Snow Goose, I can't listen to anything else for a few hours. Gentle Giant amaze me - that vibraphone solo in Knots is utterly astonishing - but they don't feed my emotions like Camel do.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 02:59
Despite mi nick, I vote for Camel
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:55
GG
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:59
Gentle Giant.......but I don't really like Knots. Go figure. 
The first 4 albums though, yummy yum yum. From there on they got a wee bit too technical and cold for my tastes.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The first 4 albums though, yummy yum yum. From there on they got a wee bit too technical and cold for my tastes.

Clap Indeed. Perhaps not a commonly held thought, but definitely one a good number of us share.  I really ADORE those first four, the later albums...ehh.. really good.. but simply too cold and impersonal even if technically flawless to really enjoy. It is the first 4 that earned the group Mick-love.. I really have little time for cold souless perfection.. which is why those post Octopus albums get so little play from me. Respect them... I simply don't enjoy them the way I do the first 4.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:17

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Clap Indeed. Perhaps not a commonly held thought, but definitely one a good number of us share.  I really ADORE those first four, the later albums...ehh.. really good.. but simply too cold and impersonal even if technically flawless to really enjoy. It is the first 4 that earned the group Mick-love.. I really have little time for cold souless perfection.. which is why those post Octopus albums get so little play from me. Respect them... I simply don't enjoy them the way I do the first 4.
I actually prefer the post Phil albums overall because I think they tightened up their compositions a bit, even if they dropped atmosphere almost completely.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:24
oh most certainly. It was that atmosphere that I loved so much about it and in general with music.  I like those shades of grey in music, like to made to feel rather than think (books are are for making you think, music is for making you feel).  I definitely appreciate those post-Phil albums, impressive as hell, but as I noted in one of those RTF polls, I want music that touches me, not impresses me. 

GG really did however cover the bases. Perhaps why you very ever rarely find someone who DOESN'T like G.G.  There is a bit of something for everyone there.

Edited by micky - December 21 2014 at 07:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>