Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Portland  Reg. Semi Fin 1 - Camel v. Gentle Giant
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPortland Reg. Semi Fin 1 - Camel v. Gentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Who is your band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [44.19%]
48 [55.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Gentle Giant.......but I don't really like Knots. Go figure. 
The first 4 albums though, yummy yum yum. From there on they got a wee bit too technical and cold for my tastes.

Clap Indeed. Perhaps not a commonly held thought, but definitely one a good number of us share.  I really ADORE those first four, the later albums...ehh.. really good.. but simply too cold and impersonal even if technically flawless to really enjoy. It is the first 4 that earned the group Mick-love.. I really have little time for cold souless perfection.. which is why those post Octopus albums get so little play from me. Respect them... I simply don't enjoy them the way I do the first 4.

Handshake

Well you get some Bamsen points for that Micky. I feel exactly the same.
Feels as if they dropped the atmosphere (like Gabe pointed out) for complexity. Personally, I feel they lost an essential part of their music - something I'd call 'space' for lack of a better word. Those small moments in their tunes, where the music got to breathe and merely be, instead of having to metamorphose into something completely different at the drop of the hat. Sure, they were doing that as well during those first four albums, but there was still room for the music to breathe imo.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:34

The first 4 albums though, yummy yum yum. From there on they got a wee bit too technical and cold for my tastes.

Clap Indeed. Perhaps not a commonly held thought, but definitely one a good number of us share.  I really ADORE those first four, the later albums...ehh.. really good.. but simply too cold and impersonal even if technically flawless to really enjoy. It is the first 4 that earned the group Mick-love.. I really have little time for cold souless perfection.. which is why those post Octopus albums get so little play from me. Respect them... I simply don't enjoy them the way I do the first 4.

Handshake

Feels as if they dropped the atmosphere (like Gabe pointed out) for complexity. Personally, I feel they lost an essential part of their music - something I'd call 'space' for lack of a better word. Those small moments in their tunes, where the music got to breathe and merely be, instead of having to metamorphose into something completely different at the drop of the hat. Sure, they were doing that as well during those first four albums, but there was still room for the music to breathe imo.

I'll take the Bamsen point if you take the Micky points...

that right there cuts directly to point at hand. Well said, in fact, I have said the exact same in countless discussion over this 'split' in the bands sound over the years here.  Well done sir!  And have some McClappies as well ClapClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:41
The points are a-matingBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:42
LOL  just be careful of using mating when talking to me...  I do have a tendency to let my passion take hold of me and take to places I'd probably best not go
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:06
I'll just let my avi speak for me then.....

- Douglas Adams
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 21:22

Gentle Giant.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 07:14
Camel is cool

but

Gentle Giant
Prog On!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:06

Handshake

that right there cuts directly to point at hand. Well said, in fact, I have said the exact same in countless discussion over this 'split' in the bands sound over the years here.  Well done sir!  And have some McClappies as well ClapClap

Wisdom is dripping from your lips like honey.
It's the first four albums that are the best, the most soulful.
Phil and post-Phil.
And this time it's not about Phil Collins. Smile

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 21:30
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Handshake

Phil and post-Phil.

I also really love those first 4 albums... or actually, I love the first 2 albums, and the next 2 I like, but they seem to have started taking the road towards the next phase of their sound (post Phil). I would like to say that I don't like the post Phil albums... but I really haven't got them... and still I'm not interested. But I have my reasons. No 1, with 3 Friends and Octopus they started shifting towards the new direction, which I really didn't like; No 2, I heard "The Power and the Glory" a few times on Youtube, and it did nothing to make me like it; and No 3, I got "Playing the Fool", and really didn't like it at all... the only song I liked is "Strang Ways", which is from the first album. Actually, Playing the Fool was the first album I got from them, and I allmost didn't try to get any more from them because of that... but somehow I ended up deciding to give them one more chance with their first 4 albums, and I don't regret it at all.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 02:35
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Handshake

Phil and post-Phil.

I also really love those first 4 albums... or actually, I love the first 2 albums, and the next 2 I like, but they seem to have started taking the road towards the next phase of their sound (post Phil). I would like to say that I don't like the post Phil albums... but I really haven't got them... and still I'm not interested. But I have my reasons. No 1, with 3 Friends and Octopus they started shifting towards the new direction, which I really didn't like; No 2, I heard "The Power and the Glory" a few times on Youtube, and it did nothing to make me like it; and No 3, I got "Playing the Fool", and really didn't like it at all... the only song I liked is "Strang Ways", which is from the first album. Actually, Playing the Fool was the first album I got from them, and I allmost didn't try to get any more from them because of that... but somehow I ended up deciding to give them one more chance with their first 4 albums, and I don't regret it at all.

Yes, maybe it is a gradual move towards another sound from Three Friends on, you might be right.
And yes, Acquiring The Taste is my favorite album, no doubt about it. I still do like Three Friends a lot.
Octopus is very versatile, and still has some spine chilling moments.
From later albums I only like a few tracks. I don't understand the popularity of In A Glass House for instance.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 03:28
In A Glass House is an oddity but The Power and The Glory , Freehand and Interview have some incredible stuff. The early GG albums are very nice and occasionally hit the heights but as I've said many times lack 'balls'. Octopus saw a heavier version of the band emerge I suspect due in part to the booming prog scene at the time where it was the heavier bands such as ELP and Yes that were winning out.

Camel are incredibly 'harmless'. Everything is right in its place. Safe but the writing side is what elevates this band imo. 3 masterpieces at least (Mirage , The Snow Goose and Moonmadness) that would in the future be part of any self respecting prog orchestra's repertoire (should anything of this sort ever exist)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 03:30
I voted GG btwSmile
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 04:54
I like Camel...
Mirage to me is their best..Superb.
Now, on the basis of importance alone GG beats Camel. But i can only vote on the basis of preference...and im yet to 'acquire the taste'..so i'll abstain.

Edited by addictedtoprog - December 24 2014 at 04:57
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 08:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Camel are incredibly 'harmless'. Everything is right in its place. Safe but the writing side is what elevates this band imo. 

True. The writing side and the fact that they could with simple means have some great effects in terms of emotion. No virtuosos like in Yes or ELP, and no innovators like Gentle Giant.
Andy Latimer said once in an interview that sometimes he came in a guitar shop and then he sees a very young lad playing some breakneck solos, and then he realized: I cannot do that. But he says he knows how to put emotion in a song. I suppose that's true.
qwiksand View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 08:56
Love both, but for will go for Gentle Giant.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 09:16
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

GG by millions of miles
Too many miles. Start backtracking.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 03:07

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Camel are incredibly 'harmless'. Everything is right in its place. Safe but the writing side is what elevates this band imo. 

True. The writing side and the fact that they could with simple means have some great effects in terms of emotion. No virtuosos like in Yes or ELP, and no innovators like Gentle Giant.
Andy Latimer said once in an interview that sometimes he came in a guitar shop and then he sees a very young lad playing some breakneck solos, and then he realized: I cannot do that. But he says he knows how to put emotion in a song. I suppose that's true.

I have to say I don't find Camel's music that 'emotional'. Its strong on composition and atmosphere and technically near as perfect as dammit if not particularly adventurous. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 06:43
Re the difference between the Phil-albums and the later ones, I agree that the former have tracks that are a little more spaced out.  Not an awful lot, nothing on the level of a Starless.   I personally wouldn't have it any other way because there's nothing else I know of in prog rock that's anything at all like Octopus or Free Hand.  To my mind, they were always too goofy to really make an emotional impact in the sense of moving a person to tears and all that or just music that lingers in the mind and haunts me for a long time.  On the other hand, there are also very few prog rock bands that compose their tracks so tightly as GG.  They are one of the most noodling-free bands I have heard in prog rock.  
danyboy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 02:46
though one...just for the first 4 album; Camel !
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 12:36
Camel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>