Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to Promote a Prog album in 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Promote a Prog album in 2015
    Posted: December 20 2014 at 20:36
Ok,

Assume you or your band just created and recorded an amazing prog album, you finished it up today and plan to release it to the prog world in 2015 and promote it.  How would you go about doing that properly so that anyone who is anyone in prog gets exposure to your album?

Shop it to a prog label? Release it yourself? How would you go about booking a tour?

I would guess there are young artists who view this forum that might be in such a predicament.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 03:00
You need to get the attention of someone like Mike Holmes who will provide 'hands on' assistance both in getting it recorded and distributed. 

of course I am thinking of a specific example

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 03:14
Seek out labels for starters, as they will aid in the promotion. Make sure to track down a label that release music of a similar kind to what you explore though, as most labels have an established audience with a certain taste. No matter how good you are, releasing an avant album on a neo label pr the other way around will be of limited use as far as sales to the label's main audience is concerned.
Use forums to instigate interest. Provide free downloads to those who want to review, and possibly reward some of the best reviews (as in best written - not most positive) with physical copies after the reviews have been made. See to it that the album can be found in the vital database websites of possible (Allmusic, rateyourmusic, genre sites like Progarchives).
Work at establishing an audience. Use facebook in a planned manner. A fixed weekly update, run some competitions (monthly?), be visible and communicate with your fans. Make them feel special, (appear to) be personal - everyone loves to feel seen and heard.
Use services like progstreaming for a planned promotional push. Schedule it first for launch, and then for when reviews start coming in if possible. The latter is more important than the former if you have to choose.
Use internet and fm radio stations. Make appearances in chats, do interviews if offered. Again a case of staying visible.
Be aware that an audience is built one person at the time. Most big bands have used many years and several albums to build their fanbase. Take one step at the time, think and plan long term.

All of this is skimming the surface of course, The start of the A in the ABC on how to build a career. I assume many can come with more elaborate and better worked out thoughts on the matter than these small details I took from the top of m head just now.

Edited by Windhawk - December 21 2014 at 03:15
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
benbell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 03:56
I'm awful at publicity. I have the shy, retiring English sort of upbringing that teaches you not to shout about your own accomplishments. I've got several friends with pointy sticks behind me saying, "Post about it or I will stab you again!"

Anyway, a little advice: look after the people who listen to you, who help you and who promote you. This stuff is reciprocal. If you can get the ear of a label or a promoter it will probably make a huge difference, but otherwise as Windhawk said, one person at a time.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:12
As a reviewer, I have been often approached by bands or artists to help them get the word about. My experience has been that a well-written review (complete with links to samples, or even whole albums for streaming) can do a lot to give a band exposure and gain them followers. Nowadays the output of bands and artists under the progressive umbrella has become so huge that listeners do need some sort of guidance - especially since the various subgenres can be so wildly different from each other. Having a label to back you, of course, makes sure that the effort of sending out promos (either digital or physical) will be taken care of.

Another thing that bands and artists do quite a bit here in the US is to book a merch table at one of the festivals, especially when they have a new album out. People will stop and chat with them, and get the opportunity to listen to some music, and maybe buy the album. Attending other people's gigs is always a good strategy, because it generates interest and shows your support of the scene  - which is essential for a niche genre like prog.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:21
3 things:
A proper music video with semi-naked chicks just might do the trick.

A concert on top of a mountain.

Recording a duet with Celine Dion.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:26
What's the point really? Are you suppose to find a career , working you're ass off in school, giving up almost all of your important devotion to an instrument ....to later finance some "happy medium" of Prog ? Rap is out there with Rap stars who swing their little closed fingertips and palms of their hands in your face with an attitude that sucks. Then they have the nerve to mix our music with theirs. Samples of the worse music we grew up with that we found laughable in high school. HUH? Doesn't anybody on this site get that? Too many people ON this site are under the impression that an artist is suppose to work their ass off with a separate career to finance their Prog career and ...excuse me....but that's just ignorant. Truly the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. AND ALL FOR THE SAKE OF ART? What a laughable thing to even consider in 2015. You'll make nothing to re-invest in your next album and you will lose the chance to provide for your family and yourself just for the SAKE OF ART? Remember the F word?  Well it's needed to be applied to that kind of quest.

Edited by TODDLER - December 21 2014 at 08:29
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:33
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

What's the point really? Are you suppose to find a career , working you're ass off in school, giving up almost all of your important devotion to an instrument ....to later finance some "happy medium" of Prog ? Rap is out there with Rap stars who swing their little closed fingertips and palms of their hands in your face with an attitude that sucks. Then they have the nerve to mix our music with theirs. Samples of the worse music we grew up with that we found laughable in high school. HUH? Doesn't anybody on this site get that? Too many people ON this site are under the impression that an artist is suppose to work their ass off with a separate career to finance their Prog career and ...excuse me....but that's just ignorant. Truly the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. AND ALL FOR THE SAKE OF ART? What a laughable thing to even consider in 2015. You'll make nothing to re-invest in your next album and you will lose the chance to provide for your family and yourself just for the SAKE OF ART? Remember the F word?  Well it's needed to be applied to that kind of quest.

So - basically you say that the musicians should ditch prog and do rap instead...???
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:34
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Seek out labels for starters, as they will aid in the promotion. Make sure to track down a label that release music of a similar kind to what you explore though, as most labels have an established audience with a certain taste. No matter how good you are, releasing an avant album on a neo label pr the other way around will be of limited use as far as sales to the label's main audience is concerned.
Use forums to instigate interest. Provide free downloads to those who want to review, and possibly reward some of the best reviews (as in best written - not most positive) with physical copies after the reviews have been made. See to it that the album can be found in the vital database websites of possible (Allmusic, rateyourmusic, genre sites like Progarchives).
Work at establishing an audience. Use facebook in a planned manner. A fixed weekly update, run some competitions (monthly?), be visible and communicate with your fans. Make them feel special, (appear to) be personal - everyone loves to feel seen and heard.
Use services like progstreaming for a planned promotional push. Schedule it first for launch, and then for when reviews start coming in if possible. The latter is more important than the former if you have to choose.
Use internet and fm radio stations. Make appearances in chats, do interviews if offered. Again a case of staying visible.
Be aware that an audience is built one person at the time. Most big bands have used many years and several albums to build their fanbase. Take one step at the time, think and plan long term.

All of this is skimming the surface of course, The start of the A in the ABC on how to build a career. I assume many can come with more elaborate and better worked out thoughts on the matter than these small details I took from the top of m head just now.
Great advice indeed.
I would add that the young prog musicians would never forget the importance of an artwork for the debut album. If they do not have money to book a design / illustration of some already known & professional artist, they need to find their friends - amateurs and (or) semi-professionals who have a talent for painting or the students of fine art or graphic design who just wish to have their stuff found on an album cover or anyone else who is able to do a good design / illustration of an album jacket that looks professional but who is willing to do that for "name your price" - of course, if there is no one in the band who is already a painter, a graphic designer, etc.

Edited by Svetonio - December 21 2014 at 10:37
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:47
It's extremely difficult, and I don't like doing it. There are a limited number of sites on the internet (such as this one) where you can generate some interest. See also Melos Prog bazaar, etc. My friend Ron Marquiss runs a superb internet radio station and plays a lot of new music. I can't praise Ron enough and he has my perpetual thanks. And he's a really nice fella. Have a listen to Friday Night Progressive - http://aircheck.us/show/695

You soon find out that if you post on "soundalike band fan forums", you get your backside bit, as fans of Band A are just there to support Band A, so after a while, the usual internet intolerance of anything new gets coupled with trolling replies, and you learn not to bother with them. So much for the general public: musicians tend to get flak from their adoring public, by the way. We never really say it, but there's a rent-an-expert around every corner who'll appear on the internet and trash you just for the sake of their egos. Some of these testicleless no hopers can even clap in time (although very few).

If you put your music up for free on download sites, expect a swarm of freeloading locusts to descend and the bare bones to be left there without so much as a thank you. Very few "fans" actually pay for music, which is why live music (and quality music) is moribund, really. But I digress. 

Facebook may get you a few plays, as with other "social media", but people generally click - play - ignore. Or just save the link and use it as a kind of streaming radio station.  Reviews on here are useful BUT there is a chance that someone who has no idea what he's on about gives you one star and may even write a line of text if he feels the vague urge. Having said that, I have had some very good reviews. 

As Toddler says above, too many people think that we musos should work 24 hours a day writing and recording music AND doing all our own self publicity for their behalf. Not that they pay. Believe me, the only people left doing prog rock are really doing it for themselves and their own amusement rather than trying to generate large scale sales, which will never happen with non - commercial rock subjects. I often get asked by seemingly knowing people "when's the next live gig ? " - it really does seem at times that fans - even the tiny proportion who actually pay for music - are completely unconnected with the reality for musicians in 2015. Musicians - real ones, not rappers - put in about 100 times more work to create music than Joe Public thinks. 

The publicity HAS to be overlooked, as you can't burn the candle at both ends, believe you me. It is sometimes better to admit to yourself that you'll make almost no sales, just play the music and let water find its' own level. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 21 2014 at 10:50

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:51
Yep. If you're not making music for yourself as opposed to "the people" or "the fans", you're not really making music to begin with. It all starts with a fire in your tummy.....if not, then simply don't do it.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:57
As a PS, you will find more and more musicians at least privately totally disinchanted with the whole shebang. I would count myself as one of that number. 

There's a thread on here where, despite getting four star reviews, I offer my latest album for less than the price of half a packet of cigarettes, if you use a discount code. More than 500 views. Hundreds of plays. No downloads. And yet the album received critical praise from Nik Turner - ex Hawkwind, Dave Jackson, ex VDGG and Jean Herve Peron of Faust. I don't know what higher praise could convince the listening public to part with a miserable few quid, so perhaps there is utterly no point spending countless hours publicising music to a public preoccupied with getting music for nothing. 

Perhaps we should just amuse ourselves, accept that almost everyone wants to rip us off, set it all to non downloadable and let them all come and find us. It would save a lot of time and we could do more music. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:59
PS Guldbamsen, 100% true, and thanks for the cracking reviews. 

Sometimes, one good review or one good sale will keep an artist afloat. 

I'm not in this for the money, but I'm not in it for months of headaches, either. ;-)

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yep. If you're not making music for yourself as opposed to "the people" or "the fans", you're not really making music to begin with. It all starts with a fire in your tummy.....if not, then simply don't do it.
I guess who were having a Dewar's while typing these words.LOL

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:02
LOLLOLLOL

I'd not seen that before (I swear)!!

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:07
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

PS Guldbamsen, 100% true, and thanks for the cracking reviews. 

Sometimes, one good review or one good sale will keep an artist afloat. 

I'm not in this for the money, but I'm not in it for months of headaches, either. ;-)

No prob Dave. It'd probably have been another story entirely if you'd asked me to review an album that I well and truly hatedLOL but I digress....

Regarding your last line: I sincerely hope you can find a compromise to that conundrum.....and preferably before you have to sell your pipe along with your favourite bunnyrabbits.

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:08
Just wanted to let Dave know that I tried to click to the link to his Bandcamp page, but got a "bad gateway" message. I don't know if it is my own connection acting up, or there is something wrong with the link.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:08
:-) 

Oh yes. Well, the best music happens when someone sits down and writes it for themselves. "Music" as opposed to "product".

This is a pretty rare thing, and very rare amongst musicians, believe me. ;-) Anyway. I think the thing about publicising prog albums is that it's somewhat of a tautology. You are writing "proper music" but then taking a commercial approach to selling it, ie. at some point, it becomes product and commercial. 

I'm much happier just writing music. I've found, to my own cost, that when you try and increase your audience (which I'd like to do, and not really just for money) that there is nothing but problems following in the wake. Giving music away for free is even worse, I get pirated regularly by student radio stations. They're just really using me as space filler, but they try and disguise it as "doing me a favour". Thanks ever so. I am yet to receive a penny in royalties or a single paid download from any student radio play. 

Radio play is another way of getting publicity, there are lots of prog rock internet radio stations out there, but none have very large listening populations. It's perhaps something ProgArchives could have a look at doing ? 

All in all, publicity for prog albums can be translated as "forget doing music whilst you do something which will consume all of your time, give you endless headaches and not result in any sales. "

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:09
Hi Raff, I've got it to. 502 bad gateway.

Blame dem North Koreans. ;-)

Hey, I've got THREE WEEKS off work !!! I'm going to finish some more music I've got lying around. Inbetween playing Napoleon: Total War and Rise of Flight, attending to my cats every whim and generally lazing around scratching my, er. ;-)

If I did publicity, that'd reduce the time I had to actually play. And I get little enough as it is. "Married with cats" and the neighbours don't appreciate 3am sax solos. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 21 2014 at 11:13

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:12
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just wanted to let Dave know that I tried to click to the link to his Bandcamp page, but got a "bad gateway" message. I don't know if it is my own connection acting up, or there is something wrong with the link.

I'm getting the sameOuch and I even tried to google it and then click the bandcamp page, but the same thing happened.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>