Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to Promote a Prog album in 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 17:42
Davesax, I think the major issue you have is simply the genre you chose. Is there even a single band today, formed in the last 20 years let's say, making a living making progressive electronic music? Or even coming close to it? I'm not saying you would necessarily be more successful if you had formed, say, a symphonic prog band, but at least I can name several of those who do it full time, touring, recording albums, and so on.

Edited by Stereolab - December 28 2014 at 17:43
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 17:49
How about Boards Of Canada?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 21:58
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

How about Boards Of Canada?

Perhaps... but are they really associated with "prog" to any degree in the public or critical mind? Their Wikipedia page certainly does not mention the word. Maybe there's a lesson here, maybe there isn't...
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 06:11
Hi Stereolab, yep, completely correct. 

However, the words "Tangerine" and "Dream" come to mind. I believe they've made a few Deutschmarks over the years. 
There are quite a few electronic bands who make a living doing music. However. I think you're missing the general point by providing exceptions to the rule in order to show that the rule is wrong. Unfortunately not the case. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 29 2014 at 06:14

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 06:18
PS My visit stats for the last few days..... "progressive electronic" is near the top of the list.  In there are also Tangerine Dream and Electronic rock. Just because my music can be labelled in a certain way doesn't mean that it shows up as that under searches. Different meta tags. 

Total visits38
Direct (bookmarks, instant messages, etc.*)20
Google search (search terms not available)4
Bandcamp tag progressive-electronic4
Facebook2
Bandcamp tag tangerine-dream1
Bandcamp tag electronic-rock1
Bandcamp tag hawkwind1

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 29 2014 at 06:19

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 06:20
All time stats....
Total visits7,072
Direct (bookmarks, instant messages, etc.*)4,378
Facebook557
Google search (search terms not available)180
Bandcamp tag progressive-rock148
Bandcamp tag tangerine-dream147
Bandcamp tag space-rock114
Bandcamp tag berlin-school94
Bandcamp tag kraftwerk60

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 29 2014 at 06:21

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 06:23
The most telling ones there are that direct visits to the site far outweigh any advertising or tags.

So much for advertising. ;-)

Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 08:00
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

But the net result is the same, music which very few people want, unfortunately, and a listening public who are, on the whole, unprepared to pay for it. Having said that, thanks to Julia for the downloads last night !!!

Skullhead, if you honestly want to make money from music, my offer is open to you. Pre-written content, 50% takings are yours. If it's that easy, be my guest. Smile

Hi, thank you for for the shout out. You're right - this discussion is the place where I heard about your music and subsequently bought it Smile.

The album and singles are absolutely fascinating. Normally I'm not a big fan of electronic but your stuff is just dark enough and the prominent saxophone is fantastic.

You're doing the right thing in going for the professional (noch cheap) equipment, like you explained earlier in the threat, imho. It shows (or hears?)!

Thank you so much for producing prog music Clap! (And should you plan on any new releases, I'm certainly looking forward to them.)

Lewa/Julia

Edited by Lewa - December 29 2014 at 08:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 08:05
Lewa, thank you very much - I noticed you'd downloaded them and you really made my day. ;-) I've been very depressed recently (a bereavement) and this really cheered me up. I'm delighted you liked the downloads. :-) ---x-x-x-x--x-x-

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 17:59
I took a quick listen to a track or two the other day, in between reviewing and going through my steady stream of new promos. Interesting stuff, and a certain German band mentioned a bit before does indeed come to mind.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 02:59
Whilst I'm here - here's a video of part of the main track off Trip Hazard. This is the first quarter of "Hin und Zuruck". Graphics by Electric Sheep.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 03:13
We all complain about the big corporate music companies that crush indie music artist's, but we are no better really. Reviews sharing a negative light about an album is important too sure yes of course, but there are better articulate manners to describe the lack of interest or dislike of the album by the reviewer to prospects listeners or buyers. I believe there are better ways to express ones dislike of an album and sometimes this is lacking includiong here on P.A. also by some collabs to be honest. I feel one can rate albums low but atleast give a good articulate customized description of the album the reason why they give it a low score. This way others can relate to it as well.
In this world we have enough stress and negativity, music is a wonderful escape from that all, it should be a pleasant experience, and should not be ruined by abrupt generic reviews that could be copied and pasted to any album.

Edited by Kati - January 02 2015 at 03:16
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 05:15
Frank Zappa Music Industry Decline - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowCEiZkU70
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 05:38
My mom always told me never to discuss Politics, Religion or Sports, Music should not be added to that, please do not ruin this by arguing about moozik and let's all enjoy this magnificent wonderful bit of escape we have!
LizardsExist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 17:06
Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I just read the whole thread.
We released our first album before christmas. I realized that the market sucks and I don't even want to get involved in it cause it is full of negative energy and I don't want that in our music.

We payed a lot to record the album in a professional studio, we used all analog gear (hiwatts, binson echorecs, mellotron, rhodes, hammond, vintage bass amps, drums) and after the recording we bought the gear to reproduce the album faithfully.

Now we have over 500kg of equipment (including hammond and leslie speaker) and no one is even considering booking us for the cost of transportation and $100 for the band.

And we don't mind. The problem is that people don't appreciate music as much as they did before and they see it only as a merchandise and that is what we don't want to do with our music - make it merchandise.

We decided to turn to people who appreciate music.

We were all lucky to acquire some cash and buy real equipment. If we were buying it from gigs and sold releases, we wouldn't have money for a set of guitar strings but it seems like that is the reality.

We are also considering finding a label that will publish a vinyl for us and we're well aware that if we get 15% of the copies that it is a good deal cause the labels don't care - they only want to make money and thats it. Our goal is to make it permanent on vinyl and to make someone smile when he/she listens to it.

The problem is that we don't have 3000€ for making our own vinyls and if we had, we would do so.

And I'm still very young in all this and I don't know many places for promotion.

I came here in hope to find some new audience. It would be great to get a few good reviews and to make our music even closer to the targeted audience.

Thank you very much for reading this.

My first impression is that you can't live off prog music nowadays, but noone knows - it all depends on how crazy you are :)

And yes, here the link on the aforementioned album:
https://lizardsexist.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbI4wpMV08H4DeRlM4PfjLA
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 22:10
Originally posted by LizardsExist LizardsExist wrote:

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I just read the whole thread.
We released our first album before christmas. I realized that the market sucks and I don't even want to get involved in it cause it is full of negative energy and I don't want that in our music.

We payed a lot to record the album in a professional studio, we used all analog gear (hiwatts, binson echorecs, mellotron, rhodes, hammond, vintage bass amps, drums) and after the recording we bought the gear to reproduce the album faithfully.

Now we have over 500kg of equipment (including hammond and leslie speaker) and no one is even considering booking us for the cost of transportation and $100 for the band.

And we don't mind. The problem is that people don't appreciate music as much as they did before and they see it only as a merchandise and that is what we don't want to do with our music - make it merchandise.

We decided to turn to people who appreciate music.

We were all lucky to acquire some cash and buy real equipment. If we were buying it from gigs and sold releases, we wouldn't have money for a set of guitar strings but it seems like that is the reality.

We are also considering finding a label that will publish a vinyl for us and we're well aware that if we get 15% of the copies that it is a good deal cause the labels don't care - they only want to make money and thats it. Our goal is to make it permanent on vinyl and to make someone smile when he/she listens to it.

The problem is that we don't have 3000€ for making our own vinyls and if we had, we would do so.

And I'm still very young in all this and I don't know many places for promotion.

I came here in hope to find some new audience. It would be great to get a few good reviews and to make our music even closer to the targeted audience.

Thank you very much for reading this.

My first impression is that you can't live off prog music nowadays, but noone knows - it all depends on how crazy you are :)

Oh wow LizardsExist,
Fantastic! Also not only due to your bad's name, it reminds me very much of Lizard by KC. This is fantastic musicianship, a jazzy feel and very clever not typical jamming, wow! Oh I like you, a lot! A lot, LOT!
This is not jazz at all it does have a jazz vibe with psychedelic influences and great tempo/timing too, it's so good! Brilliant instrumentals! Clap Bravo!
Do not pay any attention at my post above, that was at dig at all our members here, inc. me ;)
hugs Hug
benbell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 06:31

Hi!

I think there is a lot to be said for accepting that you're unlikely to make a living from prog. It's not impossible and you might manage it, but it's unlikely. You either choose to make the music that you want to, and enjoy it for what it is (and hopefully some people will still listen and buy it), or else you view music as a business and face the fact that you have to make commercial decisions about what you need to be playing to appeal to the market.

If music is a living, why should it be different from any other job? After all, no-one in a normal office job gets to say, "I don't care if the company pays me to write sales reports, what really interests me is drawing a new company logo so I'm going to do that and it'll be good so they should pay me anyway."

First listen and I like what I hear. I've tweeted it and sent a link to a couple of friends whose buttons I think it might push. I'd be interested in a a CD copy if you make them.

Edited by benbell - January 04 2015 at 06:32
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 06:40
Anyway, good luck to you guys, LizardExist, your music is not bad.  

Edited by Kati - January 04 2015 at 06:43
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:06
The Hammond alone weighs 200kg give or take, this does not define music, a recognizable sound yet unique will stand out.
Be nice and make friends, some prog friends might help you to be heard especially with radio contacts big and small inc. fm stations.  
LizardsExist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:07
@Kati: Thanks for the kind words, I really appeciate it. At the end of Bamija, you can hear Mellotron which is detuned. The first take ever on Mellotron by our keyboard player. It has a certain KC vibe Wink. The song is intentded to be a little bit longer but we shrinked it for the LP.
I'm soooo glad you liked it. Since it is our first work, we didn't know what to think but we decided to record it and publish it anyways.

@benbell: It is somewhat hard to make music from your soul and think of the market at the same time.
If we were thinking like that, Anunnaki dance would have never been made. So we decided to spend cash on vintage equipment and have a full prog rock setup on stage and do what makes us happy.

And I agree with you, if music IS a living, it shouldn't be different than any other job, it is a full time 24 hour job with no breaks. It all depends on the goal. But if you live from it, you have to swim in mainstream waters or sub-mainstream as I like to call it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbI4wpMV08H4DeRlM4PfjLA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>