Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAngelo's Rock Orphanage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angelo's Rock Orphanage
    Posted: December 21 2014 at 19:18
Ha - what's this? Easy: not every album of every band that I get in my paws is included in the monstrously big database called of ProgArchives.com. Some will be, at some point, others will probably not. 

I've been teasing the teams a little bit about this, but not too much, because after almost 10 years - of which 4 as a member of the admin team - I am very much aware that there is so much to be added that the teams have a hard time to keep up.

In order to let these bands not go unnoticed, I publish my reviews of their efforts on my own blog - and some of them also end up on Background Magazine and ProgPlanet.

To make sure that they don't get lost to ProgArchives members (I have no illusion that all of you go to my web site or Background Magazine every day), I will post them here as well. That way, they are visible to the PA community, and once (or if) the band and album in question get added, I'll simply submit the review and mention that with the post here.

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 01:26
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 19:21
First up: Fossil Evolution - World in Motion ('eventually' added in CrossOver, on 24.12.2014)

Belgian band Isopoda was also referred to as ‘the Belgian Genesis’ in the 1970s, and has long since disappeared from view. However, former singer and bass player Arnold de Schepper is still very much alive and kicking, and tries to bring the remains of Isopoda back to live, by means of Fossil Evolution, a band in which he plays together with his three sons and one of their friends.

Their debut album World in Motion was released in October of this year, and contains some great music, that does require a attentative listen to be appreciated fully. 

Read more....

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 11:35
Cool idea, I will be following this. I think it's sad that some seventies bands who should be on this site won't be because they've never had a digital release, only vinyl and thus the collabs can't get a chance to hear it.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 12:17
Thanks John. Next week I'll be posting reviews here for Progeland, Murky Red and Aldo Pinelli. More suggestions are welcome, both new and old. A lot of stuff that was released on vinyl can be found online (although not everything), digitized in one form or another.

Edited by Angelo - December 25 2014 at 12:18
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 12:57
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Thanks John. Next week I'll be posting reviews here for Progeland, Murky Red and Aldo Pinelli. More suggestions are welcome, both new and old. A lot of stuff that was released on vinyl can be found online (although not everything), digitized in one form or another.

Thanks Angelo! Very much looking forward to this.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 17:46
Progeland - Gate to Fulfilled Fantasies (rejected for ProgArchives, but the little boy on the cover was the inspiration for calling this thread Angelo's Orphanage).

"As we approach the gates, the trumpets sound. The gates open, and 
A New Era is about to begin, as we enter Progeland." That's the idea I get when I hear the opening track of the album Gate to Fulfilled Fantasies by the Finnish band Progeland - brainchild of bass player Perry Lindström, who also released albums with Corvus Stone and Voice of the Enslaved this year. On this album, for which he wrote all the music, Lindström is accompanied by Tomi Murtomäki (vocals and all lyrics), Juha Kaski (keyboards), Matias Kangasniemi (guitars) and Pasi Manninen (drums). The aforementioned gates are visible on the beautiful album cover - Sonia Mota took care of all the artwork.  Read more...

Edited by Angelo - January 04 2015 at 15:01
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 09:38
Nice to see the CORVUS STONE connections here Angelo. There seems to be mixed reactions to this one which is the way I felt from the Youtube vids, until I saw the live clip for the song Starlight which was great by the way. 

Edited by Mellotron Storm - December 29 2014 at 09:41

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 18:31
Thanks John. The Corvus Stone connections are obvious, with Petri Lindström being the band leader and Sonia Mota doing the art work. Reactions are mixed indeed, but I see it the way I wrote it in the review - opinions differ.
Next up is one that is not related to Corvus Stone at all - Marco Ragni. 
Murky Red and Aldo Pinelli will follow (although I have doubts about the latter, because apart from one track the album has little to do with progressive rock).
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 18:34
Marco Ragni - Mother from the Sun (being considered by Psychedelic/Space Rock team)
What happens if you take the best things of almost 50 years of psychedelic music and space rock, a bit of jazz rock and add a bit of 21st century technology and composition techniques? Depending on who you are, it could go two ways: either it becomes a mess or you end up with something bordering brilliance. If you are Marco Ragni, you end up with an album called Mother from the Sun, that easily fits the second way.  Read more...

Edited by Angelo - January 04 2015 at 15:00
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:59
Murky Red - Time Doesn't Matter
Belgium is just across the border from where I live. Belgium is also the country where Pink Floyd, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors and Lynyrd Skynyrd live. They all live in the house of Stef and Yolanda Flaming, and the houses of their band members in Murky Red. Actually, in the dark 1960’s and 1970’s I suspect various members of aforementioned bands got together in some weird orgy that led to the procreation of Stef, Yolanda and their fellow band members Patrick Dujardin, Luk Lantin, Rene Marteaux and Marie Vancamp. There is no other way to explain the influences of all these bands in the music of Murky Red. [Read more...]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 12:18
Andy Jackson - Signal to Noise.
Around the time I was 8 years old, Andy Jackson became the sound engineer on the Pink Floyd movie The Wall. Since then he has worked as sound engineer with Pink Floyd. Based on his experience there, he also got involved with David Gilmour, Boomtown Rats, and also Fields of the Nephilim.

Andy can do more, however - he plays guitar and he sings. He has played with The Eden House, a band led by former Fields of the Nephilim bass player Tony Pettitt. After this, he recorded his solo album Signal to Noise. On this album, he plays,  and of course no one but he was also behind  the controls during recording, mixing and mastering. [read more]

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 01:27
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 18:30
ON THIS VALETINE’S DAY:

IT’S TIME TO SHINE A LIGHT ON THE LITTLE ONES IN THE SHADOW.

The big ones were small too, once. Drawing by Sonia Mota – click for high larger version.

The past 3-4 months I’ve picked up on reviewing progressive rock albums, something I did a couple of times (say 50-60) before for ProgArchives.com over the last 10 years. The number of reviews is around 1-2 per week right now, and between the promo’s I receive, I find many bands that are just starting or otherwise operating in the shadows of the aforementioned giants.

In our commercially operating world, these aspiring new bands get very little attention – standing in the shadow of the big ones. Yet they deserve it, and they have to, because the giants were small too, once – as shown in the cartoon above this article (courtesy of Sonia Mota – thank you very much!).

[Click to read more]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 13:30
Album review: Tony Patterson & Brendan Eyre - Northlands
Tony Patterson and Brendan Eyre were both born in North East England, and both have a broad musical background. In 2012, they released an album Out Of An Ancient World, which was so well received it won them the Best Newcomer award at the 2012 Classic Rock Society Awards.

After this, they started thinking about a concept album describing their beloved North East England, which resulted in Northlands, an album that tells the tale of someone returning to the North East after so many years. The memories, good and bad, the beauty of the landscape and the unfinished business of the character are the drivers for the music. Without a story line to follow, and an album that is largely instrumental, it is hard to tell what the this character experiences exactly along the way. However, the music invites to sit back, relax and let your own version of the story unfold in your mind. [Click to read more...]

ISKC Rock Radio
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

ON THIS VALETINE’S DAY:

IT’S TIME TO SHINE A LIGHT ON THE LITTLE ONES IN THE SHADOW.

ANGELOS ROCK ORPHANAGE

The big ones were small too, once. Drawing by Sonia Mota – click for high larger version.

The past 3-4 months I’ve picked up on reviewing progressive rock albums, something I did a couple of times (say 50-60) before for ProgArchives.com over the last 10 years. The number of reviews is around 1-2 per week right now, and between the promo’s I receive, I find many bands that are just starting or otherwise operating in the shadows of the aforementioned giants.

In our commercially operating world, these aspiring new bands get very little attention – standing in the shadow of the big ones. Yet they deserve it, and they have to, because the giants were small too, once – as shown in the cartoon above this article (courtesy of Sonia Mota – thank you very much!).

[Click to read more]

hahaha thanks Angelo, I wonder if anyone can guess who the girl is on this pic Big smile hugs Hug

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 09:56
Haha, yay! One hint for the contestants: it's not you ;-)

Actually - we can make this into a little contest: who guesses it first in this thread gets a copy of the latest Abel Ganz CD. A nice way to celebrate 2500 views (and 3000 by the end of today with a bit of luck).

Edited by Angelo - March 30 2015 at 10:02
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:13
Kate Bush
katedancer

Edited by Imperial Zeppelin - March 30 2015 at 15:15
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:16
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

katedancer
hahahaha that's it!!!!!! Imperial Zeppelin got it spot on! Bounce, bounce, yieuoopieee ja yay!!!!!! xx Clap
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:18
Bang... told you it wasn't difficult.
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:22
Congratulations to the jumping blimp/goat. Check your PM Smile

Edited by Angelo - March 30 2015 at 15:22
ISKC Rock Radio
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:25
Sweet Big smile

I must say this was much easier than the Corvus Stone challenge LOL
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>