Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAngelo's Rock Orphanage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 16:02
Haha, it was also more on impuls than that one - no 3 weeks of preparation here. lol
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 16:08
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

Sweet Big smile

I must say this was much easier than the Corvus Stone challenge LOL

hahaha yes that one was a fun quiz LOLBig smileHug
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 01:29
You CD is on its way, Zeppelin. Congratulations!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 07:55
Great! Can't wait Smile
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 02:55
This Raging Silence - Isotopes and Endoscopes

When I see words like isotope and endoscope combined in an album title, I get curious to their background. Certainly in this case, because isotopes and endoscopes play a role in an industry where I worked for a number of years: healthcare, and more specifically oncology equipment. Alas, the title has nothing to do with that, all I could find was that it sounded like a good title for an album, in this case the album Isotopes and Endscopes (sic) by This Raging Silence, a quartet hailing from Bristol, UK.

(Note: After publishing this review, Jeff told me the title relates to his personal experiences in the year2014 -AH)

The album has been in the making for a while now, and if all goes well it will be released shortly after this review appears, in April 2015. The band was formed by Jeff Cox (guitar, vocals) and John Tyrer (electric and acoustic guitar), who were quickly joined by Dave Appleford on bass and Garry Davies on drums. [Click here to read the full review...]

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 01:23
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 04:21
Karibow - Addicted

A perfect candidate for Angelo's Rock Orphanage. That is what Oliver Rüsing delivered under the name Karibow on the album Addicted. There is a tendency amongst progressive (or symphonic) rock fans to dismiss everything that is 'not prog enough'. As such, the band is missing amongst the list of bands and albums on many prog web sites, despite their bio states that they are influenced by (next to pop) rock and (neo)progressive rock, and they got the German Rock & Pop Award for Best Progressive Band in 2014. Exactly the type of band that led me to come up with the name Rock Orphanage[Read more here....]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 02:44
"Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin... This is a cautionary tale, and it concerns a man, a gifted man, living on an island made out of musical instruments...."

That could be the beginning of an album review for Tiger Moth Talesalbum Cocoon, crafter by multi-instrumentalist Peter Jones. To be honest, it is the beginning of such a review now. As I write this review, I have heard the album quite a few times, but during the final listen before writing this, the hairs on my arms still stood upright during the closing track. That must mean something, so let's have a look at what Cocoon is, and what it has to offer... [Click here to read the rest of the 1120 word review, or here to see it on ProgArchives]

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 01:24
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:04
Once upon a time, there was a man called Kristoffer Gildenlöw, a musician. This man Kristoffer got caught by the cuteness of baby elephants, which is perfectly understandable if you know how cute these can be. He also noticed that baby elephants and their cuteness may not be available to future generations, if we continue to allow their habitat to be destroyed and their parents being hunted down and shot just for the ivory of their tusks.

kristoffergildenlow13

That is why in December 2014, Kristoffer and some of his friends and partners organised a campaign to raise money the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. The campaign raised €3000, to be spent on care for orphaned. [Click here for the full 591 word story]

ISKC Rock Radio
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 16:59
Wow! Angelo I found you wearing your Angelo's Rock Orphanage T-Shirt here! Hahahaha... brilliant! Thumbs Up Big smile LOVE IT! THIS IS A GREAT PIC OF YOU! (Caps inc. LOL) Yay! Hug big hug xxx
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 00:33
Haha, thank you. My brand new orange Also Eden pin also fits in nicely with the package, don't you think - as a sun it shines a little light on the little ones at the gate Wink

Hug
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 18:48
BunChakeze - Whose Dream?

Imagine an album being recorded in 1985, and being released only 25 years later, in 2010. Sounds crazy? Well, this is exactly what happened with BunChakeze album Whose Dream?. The four people involved were Odin of London members Colin Tench (guitar, synthesizer and vocals), Gary Derrick (bass), Cliff Deighton (drums) and Joey Lugassy (vocals). The former three founded the band, helped build a studio in exchange for recording time and then hired the [ 929 more words. ]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 04:29
2008 - a trio and Trisector

Today I received an e-mail from Guigo Barros, a man from Brazil who despite the distance and the infrequent contact we have, I consider a friend for life. He is the one who asked me, around 8 years ago, to join the admin team at 
ProgArchives.com. We served on that team together four over four years - a time I won't easily forget. [ 210 more words. ]

ISKC Rock Radio
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 07:19
Then, I was right, Angelo: that meeting, that paper and that pencil were the inception of this orphanage!

Fond memories, my friend. Hug
Guigo

~~~~~~
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2015 at 00:07
In a way it was and you are right, indeed. From unsigned (which 6 years later is a far less relevant concept) to the Rock Orphanage was not an illogical step. Thanks for sending some more pictures, I'll add those in the blog entry - and (just) maybe I'll be able to add a picture of that notebook. I think I know where I stashed that (but so does every squirrel stashing nuts, and only very few are right).

Edited by Angelo - May 18 2015 at 00:08
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 18:21
If you know The Flower Kings, you also know Hasse Fröberg A fine hard rock singer and guitarist in the 80s, the man ended up in one of the biggest progressive rock acts of the 21st century - and together with four equally skilled musicians, he even has found the time to release a new (by now the third one) album under the name Hasse Fröberg and the Musical Companion [ 659 more words. ]

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 01:25
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 15:11
Fractal Mirror - Garden of Ghosts

It's months ago that I promised
 Leo Koperdraat (keyboard, guitar, vocals) to review the album Garden of Ghosts, which he released together with Ed Van Haagen (bass and keyboards) and Frank L. Urbaniak (drums and lyrics). The second album of this trio, and I must admit that up to this day I have not had the chance (or, to be more honest, time) to listen to their debut, [ 830 more words. ]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 15:42
Transport Aerian - Darkblue

When I was in high school, I always looked at the aspiring musicians in my school (some got quite far with their aspirations too) as if they were some sort of mystics. They always had this sense of being untouchable, impossible to understand around them. That feeling disappeared over time, as I kept in touch with some of them, and it turned out that they were just moving into the same musical areas where I ended up (albeit I started as a listener and became a player only much later). [ 473 more words. ]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 16:32
Moonburn - Null Abstract
Moonburn are an Indian band, which just released their debut EP, entitled Null Abstract. The EP consists of 5 tracks, four of which have a length of around 6 minutes, the last one (the title track) being a little bit shorter.

All tracks are build around a guitar tune, and keyboards and the rest of the instruments merge around that. The songs all have something of repetitive theme in them in the vocal parts, which makes them a little boring, and an instrumental midsection in which especially the skills of the guitarists shows through.  The lead vocals are a bit similar on all tracks, and seem to lack bit of emotion, which is only partly compensated by the well performed backing vocals. [Read full review]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 15:33
As of August 5th, I'll be running a monthly playlist on ISKC Rock Radio - every first Wednesday of the month, at 21:00 CET.

Here I will mix the bands found on my web site with my personal all time prog favourites.

Website - http://iskc.rocks/
Listening - http://www.iskc.nl/rock.m3u - http://iskc.rocks/RRPlayer.htm
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ISKCWebradio

The playlist for this event:

Rush - YYZ
Nice Beaver - Timeline
Jartse Tuominen - Sledgehammer
[Click for full post...]

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 00:32
Nth Ascension - Ascension of Kings
When a title like Ascenscion of Kings comes by, it is tempting to associate it with Lord of the Rings. Which would be fine, if we hadn't been swamped in LotR for seven years. And luckily, the album of this title, by British Nth Ascenscion has nothing to do with it. Instead, there seem to be two stories about kings mixed in with the other tracks - one of them (Clanaan Pt1 - Pt3) in the form of a longer story that will continue on future albums.

The opening track Fourth Kingdom may give a wrong impression on first listen. It opens with a hard rock guitar and growling bass, suggesting that this is a heavy rock album. However, once the melodic keyboards come in things change and [Read more....]

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 01:26
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>