Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How difficult for the oldies to get into new prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow difficult for the oldies to get into new prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 18:38
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I reviewed their 2008 Blomljud with 5 stars because I really love the album. But see them live and they are rather amateurish, nothing to match the good musicians from the 1970's.

[/QUOTE]

More amateurish than Pink Floyd (whom I love) at the start of their career? They could hardly play their instruments at the time, although they always excelled at songwriting. Mind you, I am anything but a Moon Safari fan. I saw them at ROSfest in 2011, and they almost put me to sleep. However, they did not strike me as amateurish, nor did any other bands or artists I saw in the past few years.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 19:07
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Prog is a dying genre.. (...)
Of course that prog is not "a dying genre". That's bullsh*t.

Just for a decor... actually, Skullhead asked me for five tracks to show what I think that is a great contemporary prog but I will posted just one embedded video just for a decor...

That's funny, Svetty -- that's your choice for "great contemporary prog"?. Oh, wait...you are being serious. Here is a better version of that song. Oh wait...it's not the same song. Just better.

It must be a great feeling to be an old fan who frantically trying to prove a thesis that the progressive rock after 40 years of development has to be worse than at its beginning, but Knifeworld's song sounds much better and it's a prog unlike Fairport Convention's song that is a folk rock.

hah.

I don't have to prove a goddamn thing actually LOL My job is to stir the pot and get you knuckleheads to start thinking.The proof as it were is out there and been known for years. Nearfest was the final nail in that coffin. Everyone who has put more than an hours thought, including most musicians in the scene that aren't actively vested in trying to market themselves TO nostalgic 'prog fan' knows it. 

Stylistically it is dead, you have classic bands with various degrees of success doing the same sh*t they did 40 plus years ago and new bands that are just following the same formula.  The fans OF that music are going the way of age and time. It is..and has always been the music of a particular age and time.  Just as much as the hippy-dippy acid rock of the 60's man.... and you provide a great example of exactly what we have been talking about. That is not prog rock.. but what it is... is very much Progressive Rock.

they are not the same dude. Thumbs Up
LOL LOL LOL!! Believe it or not, I actually achieved exactly what I wanted.
Do you really think that I'm so naive to post, at the request of an early-prog fanatic as "Skullhead" as well, a 6-minute long Crossover Prog song instead to post some, say, a 18-minute EPIC prog song that is released in last two-three years and to promptly close the mounths of all haters of contemporary prog who are contributed at this thread?
My intention actually was to push the characters as you and your colleagues to start screaming "it's not prog" on an amazing  Crossover Prog song released in 2014 what Knifeworld's Send Him Seaworthy really is.

Now every impartial reader of these pages can conclude that all of these attacks on something that is new and modern and yet already defined and accepted at this esteemed site as Crossover Prog  are pretty nonsense.

Your wrath on contemporary Crossover Prog is your problem to which I would not go deeper, but I can only say that you and your like-minded comrades in that Anti Contemporary Prog Brigade will never be able to kidnap the term *PROG* from that magnificent pleiad of very gifted young bands & solo artists that stretch the boundaries of our beloved genre and thereby proudly put that prog tag at their stuff Tongue

Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 19:22

No one used the term "prog" where I came from in the early 70s. Great rock bands where great rock bands, whether they were Floyd, Tull, Zeppelin, Yes, The Who, Bowie, Alice Cooper or whatever. We listened to all of it.

Sure, because it's all under the ROCK umbrella.

I prefer my rock at times more complex particularly in the rhythm section.
Others like their rock simple and too the point like punk.
Some like it fast like speed metal or thrash.
Some like it soft like Joan Baez or James Taylor.
Some like it jazzy like Steely Dan
Some like it bluesy like Hendrix or Trower
Some like it psychedelic like Pink Floyd
Some like it silly and poppy like Devo
Some like it dark and moody like The Cure
Some like it folky, jammy and improvy like The Grateful Dead
Some like it latin tinged like Santana
Some like it lyrically clever like REM
Some like it about cars and girls like ZZ Top
Some like it dancy and up like B52's

Point being, all those bands and so many others all are very diverse and the whole idea
was NOT to sound like other bands.  So much of the new prog to me sound so un original.

For me, I like originality first.  Then innovation, then melodic sensibility, then technical virtuosity IN THAT ORDER! 

With YES, GENESIS, TULL, CRIMSON, ELP I get ALL OF THAT... not partial servings.  The newer prog I hear I only get some partial serving.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 19:29

Your wrath on contemporary Crossover Prog is your problem to which I would not go deeper, but I can only say that you and your like-minded comrades in that Anti Contemporary Prog Brigade will never be able to kidnap the term *PROG* from that magnificent pleiad of very gifted young bands & solo artists that stretch the boundaries of our beloved genre and thereby proudly put that prog tag at their stuff Tongue

my wrath?  What the f**k are you talking about LOLLOLLOL My god...  you owe me a beer. It is now all over my monitor.

Oh my...  either you are an idiot, or completely misreading me.

Since I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  Though no credit for common sense for not having the sense to know a person before engaging them. They don't make you collabs here for our cute asses and pleasant demeanor.  We do work for the site... contribute to its content and format.  I did so for many years before retiring.

There is a reason Crossover prog is here and is recognized not only here, but now all through prog. Read it carefully...

Crossover Prog definition

Crossover Prog contains progressive rock music that, though 100% progressive, may have a musical connection to popular music-- whether it be the lack of emphasis on extended compositions, or an influence from mainstream music in addition to classical, jazz and folk. Compositions, however, still exhibit a high degree of sophistication, sometimes outright complexity, and the musicianship and virtuosity is often on a par with established Prog acts. Much like their kin in the established prog sub-genres, these groups will incorporate many major parts of what defines prog rock: the fusing of rock with the structures and discipline of more traditional musics, the use of syntheisizers and new technologies, intelligent thematics, and the expansion of the form.

The defining characteristics of Crossover Prog are a pop music influence that is largely vacant in typical prog rock. Songs tend toward shorter, more concise presentations though still reach beyond the typical verse, bridge, chorus pattern. The harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic structures may be more easily digested in Crossover while not losing the musical integrity that a prog listener expects. Whereas Prog Related bands are generally commercial groups with certain prog elements or players that were involved in prog acts, Crossover Prog artists are predominantly progressive with elements of popular music.

The most representative examples for this genre include The MOODY BLUES, SUPERTRAMP, DREDG, CINEMA SHOW, RADIOHEAD.

- written by micky (Michael) and Chus (Jesus) Smile

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 19:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Contemporary Prog

These are some good posts.  Better for everyone here to listen and discuss what they like and don't about these acts.

I liked most of it.  For me to really become a fan I would need to see them performing it live because there is always that modern suspicion about it all be overly manipulated on the computer.

I like that none of it sounded metalish.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 20:12
Micky, I read it before and I know that you are a co-authour of the Crossover Prog deffinition but your contribute at this thread have nothing to do with your respectively writing efforts in definitions like this or regarding your reviews. Well, I don't know you from before, but I think that you are changed your attitudes toward contemorary prog during your four-year-long absence.

Btw, are you mentioned that collab status as an argument? I have to tell you very straight that I wan't to be a collab. I prefered to be, say, "a free suggester", much more than to get a collab rank.
And that I ever wish to have a four stars collab rank, you can to believe me that I would have been a four stars collab maybe after two years from the registration just if I was an apologist of some influential five stars collaborator and / or an admin.

Edited by Svetonio - January 06 2015 at 20:19
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 20:16
I've seen the last 3 posted live and can attest to their capability in a live setting. I've heard very good reports on the first 2 .
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 20:26

Micky, I read it before and I know that you are a co-authour of the Crossover Prog deffinition but your contribute at this thread have nothing to do with your respectively writing efforts in definitions like this or regarding your reviews. Well, I don't know you from before, but I think that you are changed your attitudes toward contemorary prog during your four-year-long absence.

Btw, are you mentioned that collab status as an argument? I have to tell you very straight that I wan't to be a collab. I prefered to be, say, "a free suggester", much more than to get a collab rank.
And that I ever wish to have a four stars collab rank, you can to believe me that I would have been maybe after two years from the registration just if I was an apologist of some influential five stars collaborator.

indeed they have changed.  While I always liked the bands and the members of those bands we added, many of who Raff and I became friends with, the music wasn't what got me excited. As I posted to David earlier, while I tried to champion the notion that ..yes.. Crossover is a legitimate genre.. and champion the bands I really liked.. I still was very much a slave to me real love.  Italian prog and that is what I would listen to personally.

So yes,  I have changed in the last 4 years. For the better I would hope LOL  Friendships established online with bands and their members online have been cemented with meeting in real life and talking over their music, our larger music.  My own personal tastes have become FAR more geared to the contemporary bands and I actually listen to very little 'classic prog' these days.

that said. It doesn't change my opinions.  They are mine, but beware before you write them off as the ravings of a nut case. Many people share them in the music world.  Prog is dying... and it is NO great loss.. it had its time.. the circle has been completed. Now we have bands today taking the myriads of influences that are out there today and creating their own sounds.. far removed from 'prog rock'.. and returning back to where we were in the late 60's when you had a bunch of progressive musicians wanting to break the barriers and explore where they can music.

Cheer bro!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 20:32

LOL LOL LOL!! Believe it or not, I actually achieved exactly what I wanted.
Ummm...you did? Wacko

Do you really think that I'm so naive to post, at the request of an early-prog fanatic as "Skullhead" as well, a long Crossover Prog song instead to post some, say, a 18-minute EPIC prog song that is released in last two-three years and to promptly close the mounths of all haters of contemporary prog who are contributed at this thread?
Skullhead asked you to back up your statement. A reasonable request, I believe, and warranting a reasonable reply. But for reasons unknown to everyone in this discussion (and perhaps even yourself), it seems you chose not to. It's rather like bringing a piece of cheese to a knife fight.

My intention actually was to push the characters as you and your colleagues to start screaming "it's not prog" on an amazing  Crossover Prog song released in 2014 what Knifeworld's Send Him Seaworthy really is.
I don't find it amazing at all. I don't even find it very proggy. It is rather pedestrian and derivative. I even offered a non-prog band from 40 years ago with a reasonable facsimile of the same song you chose. So what is it you were trying to achieve, exactly?

Now every impartial reader of these pages can conclude that all of these attacks on something that is new and modern and yet already defined and accepted at this esteemed site as Crossover Prog  are pretty nonsense.

I merely stated there is a lack of good songwriting in contemporary music, and I selected a few examples of what I thought constituted my point. Even in this thread, the bands offered are technically adept, adventurous compositionally, instrumentally varied, but melodically lacking. There are exceptions, of course, so don't think I'm painting everything black.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 20:33
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

These are some good posts.  Better for everyone here to listen and discuss what they like and don't about these acts.

I liked most of it.  For me to really become a fan I would need to see them performing it live because there is always that modern suspicion about it all be overly manipulated on the computer.

I like that none of it sounded metalish.

I suggested PoiL for PA two years ago and I'm very proud on it Approve
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 21:35

(...)

[QUOTE=Svetonio]Do you really think that I'm so naive to post, at the request of an early-prog fanatic as "Skullhead" as well, a 6-minute long Crossover Prog song instead to post some, say, a 18-minute EPIC prog song that is released in last two-three years and to promptly close the mounths of all haters of contemporary prog who are contributed at this thread?
Skullhead asked you to back up your statement. A reasonable request, I believe, and warranting a reasonable reply. But for reasons unknown to everyone in this discussion (and perhaps even yourself), it seems you chose not to. It's rather like bringing a piece of cheese to a knife fight.

LOL! Well, before I'v been asked by Skullhead to post five songs as examples of great modern prog, I have already been post to him five songs but he ignored  it, of course; on page no.5 of this topic, you can find three links that I posted as an answer on his statement that "metal is poor choice for a prog guitarist", and I proved with these links that this what he said is not true; I posted a link also at page no. 6 when Skullhead was moaning about "amateurs"; and when Skullhead stated that he "don't hear any great rock music anymore", I posted Ana Popovic's video. Ana Popovic is actually well-know & already recognized by serious rock critics as the greatest blues-rock female guitarist in the world today. And then I posted that fantastic Knifeworld's Send Him Seaworthy  the Crossover Prog song just to provoke an (expected) negative reaction by forum's Anti Contemporary Prog Brigade.

Edited by Svetonio - January 06 2015 at 21:55
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 22:21

Ana Popovic is actually well-know & already recognized by serious rock critics as the greatest blues-rock female guitarist in the world today.
No, she's not. Unless Bonnie Raitt, Sue Foley and Susan Tedeschi died recently, Ana Popvic aint there yet. Hell, Bonnie Raitt is the only white woman performer inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame. Stick to prog, don't lecture me about blues. No self-respecting blues critic would place Ana before the three I just mentioned. She's really good, but you got to earn it in the blues.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 03:05
^ Oh sorry man I knew that Ana Popovic was nominated for a Blues Music Award in *Contemporary Blues Female Artist of the Year* category in 2014, but I really didn't know that in final the trophy was awarded to Susan Tadeschi! Shocked 
Nevermind. A some new chick with Tadeschi's voice and Popovic's guitar sound maybe will meet the criteria of our Skullhead.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 06:48
At the end of the day it's the Admins and Team Members who run the site and decide its contents and direction, and I guess that it should be expected that a site like PA is run by a bunch of Prog Rock fans. Whether they are open-minded and enjoy also other forms of more modern progressive music and decide to include them it's fine, as long as they share a love for Prog Rock as a common unifying point. The conflicts could get more serious if gradually the site starts to be managed by people who, in the best case have become rather indifferent to the traditional classic Prog, or in the worst case are openly dismissive of it. I guess that we are still far from that.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 07:11
There are a few of reasons that hard core single focused forums will seem to go off course a little

1) prog fans, and the fans of all of the other discussed genres here have something in common...we all look for something extra, not satisfied with top 30 pap.
It's unifying even if it isn't 'pure'.

2) the so called non-prog that gets discussed does have relationships - or possible relationships to prog, and the question of the possibility of those relationships are discussed as interesting topics.

3) if you talk about just one thing for too long you get bored, there's nothing left to say and people bugger off.

the same thing happens on other forums. Go to any horror forum and all other genres are discussed .. kung-fu films, westerns, sci-fi ..etc  (I guess violence is the unifying factor there)

Edited by Walton Street - January 08 2015 at 07:11
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:09
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

the same thing happens on other forums. Go to any horror forum and all other genres are discussed .. kung-fu films, westerns, sci-fi ..etc  (I guess violence is the unifying factor there)

LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 18:53

- written by micky (Michael) and Chus (Jesus) Smile

Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 19:12
^^^Pelotas! LOL
Progmaniac1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 09:42
Does anyone have the Wobbler rites at dawn green lp ? I want to buy ! Name a price:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112