FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeofolk Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neofolk Appreciation
    Posted: December 23 2014 at 10:09
hi guys,been a while of me thinking can Neofolk be added here?
if yes then a flood of great bands can come in.it's not a vast genre itself,it's the experimental and atmospheric version of vintage folk we know.wondering if they are fitted to prog folk,crossover,experimental/post metal since it's experimental only.you know if Agalloch's WHITE EP is prog,then sure most other folk acts are.donno can you guys help me correct my thoughts?
here's some neofolk bands that some of them are already here:

and an instance

Edited by katatonia - December 24 2014 at 00:09
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 10:20
I'm pretty sure that I speak for the vast majority of members when I say that we really don't need another subgenre.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 12:20
you got me wrong dude,I was talking about the genre that we could fit neofolk into it,maybe into crossover or progfolk or sth else.I couldn't explain it more clear.hope you have read my topic at least.maybe it was better to say neofolk discussion 

Edited by katatonia - December 23 2014 at 12:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 13:18
Ah ok my bad. 
Is there any chance you could change the title then, so as to make it more clear? Neofolk Appreciation just might do the trick.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 00:10
done bro Thumbs Up
btw,how's your own idea?are they kinda progfolk?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 03:59
The album you posted here sounds like the Finnish band Tenhi, and they're here under prog folk.

- Douglas Adams
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 07:51
Current 93 and Wovenhand are both listed here under "progressive folk", which in each case surprised me quite a bit. Also, no thread about neofolk is complete without a link to this article sarcastically dropkicking the surrounding subculture.

Originally posted by Lasse Josephsen Lasse Josephsen wrote:

For some reason, your album doesn’t give off a proper Neofolk vibe without a picture of some old European statue on it. I don’t know why this is, but it has always been this way. And in the Neofolk scene, you must strive to hold on to old values.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 08:04
thanx Simon LOL
and yes David,Tenhi is also Neofolk,and to mention that bands like Current 93 and Sol Invictus were both great influence on Agalloch's stuff.but maybe some guys would think Neofolk is more Gothic than Progfolk,that is true also,so again it shows that it's a progressive derivative of folk
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 14:35
I'm not sure all the "Neofolk" bands fit into a single genre, especially given the limited range of genres we have here on Progarchives. And IMHO not all the acts listed as Neofolk in the Wikipedia article referenced above actually fall into the same category. I certainly would never assume any link between say, Sol Invictus or Faun, and Wovenhand or Juana Molina for example. David Eugene Edwards comes from the Slim Cessna's Auto Club / 16 Horsepower / Strawfoot / Beat Circus / Reverend Glasseye / Calexico strain of new folk, and probably owes a greater debt to the likes of Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart than to pagan or goth influences. Juana Molina seems stylistically closer to Laurie Anderson or This Mortal Coil to me.

As for Current 93, I added them because we in Prog Folk felt David Tibet belonged here somewhere and at the time nobody else would have him. I really thought one of the other genre teams would volunteer to accept him once we'd done the work of adding the considerable discography, but so far that hasn't happened. Tenhi was added before my time with the Prog Folk team; I personally would have preferred to see them added to Post Rock.

I think each of the bands who claim, or are lumped into, the "Neofolk" category deserve their own independent consideration. Some of the groups listed in the Wikipedia article are here in Prog Folk, some in Crossover, and some have been considered and rejected altogether. IMHO the Neofolk label doesn't automatically qualify a group as progressive; actually some of the later acts seem too derivative to me to be added here anywhere (Rome is one that comes to mind).

Edited by ClemofNazareth - December 24 2014 at 14:36
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 00:32
yup Bob Thumbs Up
I agree with you somehow,while good bands like Rome smell much of industrial,it can't be considered as prog in our opinions,but I think the condition of neofolk bands be added here is to have the atmospheric folk/post-rock space,which I consider despite this fact many bands would be rejected again,like the link I shared already
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 09:33
Well, neofolk is basically what happens when goths and rivetheads discover folk music.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 12:19
Tongue and why are they so linked to Nazism & Hitler?for or against
like Current 93 and Sol Invictus.no other topics found?

Edited by katatonia - December 26 2014 at 12:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 12:24
Industrial music (at least the power electronics subgenre) seems to have a higher percentage of not-kidding-at-all NS/WP sympathizers than pretty much any other countercultural music scene with the possible exception of Oi! punk, certainly more so than black metal. Gothic rock also flirts with fascist symbolism from time from time, Joy Division for instance being named after a sex slavery operation ran through the Third Reich's concentration camps and Siouxsie Sioux frequently dressing in NS regalia as a young woman. (other times in Soviet regalia though, she's known for having a very trollish sense of humour)

Since most neofolk musicians come from a goth/industrial subcultural background, and the genre's lyrical themes overlap with the more esoteric occult side of fascist ideology you can do the rest of the math.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - December 28 2014 at 04:59
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 00:55
wow,impressive,and I'm sure these feelings will increase by refugees flowing to europe escaping from war.sure music is the soul off the mass,the one that rises popular is from normal people and those who are a fan are normal people again,the society
JamesDoom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 02:43
I really don't think neofolk can be seen as prog, since the biggest bands of the genre like Death in June, Current 93 and Sol Invictus rely mostly on simple-structured short songs in the folk tradition, with few to no variations. Some other tracks are more experimental or industrial (like Di6's Wall of Sacrifice) but still not close to prog in my opinion...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 11:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm pretty sure that I speak for the vast majority of members when I say that we really don't need another subgenre.

Ohhh bummer! I wanted to request a new genre ... neo-sheep-dip!

We don't have enough genre's for non-music listening folks!

Shocked

Wink

Tongue

Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:42
Who started all this sub gene business, anyway? Wacko
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:52
For a less snarky account than that hilarious Street Carnage article I posted, here's an Everything2 entry on the genre and its history.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:55
^Wow! That's great TM. Thanks.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 00:18
guys,it's not about genre addition,neofolk is a mini sub-genre.Dave got me bad,it's about the formula that can we consider a band prog only because they are neofolk or not?
and I asked guys to make my mind clear about the topic,which was really helpful Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply