Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInter-Band Conflict

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inter-Band Conflict
    Posted: December 26 2014 at 18:58
My friend and I were discussing our thoughts on The Wall by Pink Floyd, and he said he disagreed with me on the fact that band member to band member conflicts (fighting, dislike, etc.) didn't change the band's sound. 

Do you guys think it does or not? Thoughts?

P.S: As an add to this question, do you think that conflict changed other bands for the worse?

Edited by aglasshouse - December 26 2014 at 21:03
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 19:47
It most certainly changed the sound.  Compare The Wall's predecessor, Animals, to their next one, The Final Cut.  On Animals we can hear a lot of input from both Gilmour and Wright even thought Waters is the principle songwriter, whereas on The Final Cut Wright is barely a presence.  In fact, he was not considered a full member of the band any longer because he bailed out on the recordings of The Wall.  Note how his presence is diminished in that album.  It was the disagreements between Wright and Waters that caused Wright to leave.  When the band whittled down to just Gilmour and Mason, there is yet another change in the sound.  A Momentary Lapse of Reason sounds little like its predecessors.  Recall how people often compare it to a Gilmour solo album as they compare The Final Cut to a solo Waters album.  And if you are just comparing the sound of The Wall to earlier PF albums, there is still a difference in sound.  The songs are more concise, there is more emphasis on sound effects, and there is a further emphasis on lyrics rather than instrumentation.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 20:06
^ with these in mind, do you all think that the Pink Floyd sound was more or less restored to its past glory on TER?

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 21:01
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ with these in mind, do you all think that the Pink Floyd sound was more or less restored to its past glory on TER?

I think having the band as one entity made their sound more complete obviously, but I do congratulate them for making TER sound classic even when it wasn't.

Edited by aglasshouse - December 26 2014 at 21:03
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 21:17
Floyd were never the same after Animals IMHO
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 21:42
Is the correct term for this intra-band conflict?
Internet vs. intranet.  ????
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 22:17
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

It most certainly changed the sound.  Compare The Wall's predecessor, Animals, to their next one, The Final Cut.  On Animals we can hear a lot of input from both Gilmour and Wright even thought Waters is the principle songwriter, whereas on The Final Cut Wright is barely a presence.  In fact, he was not considered a full member of the band any longer because he bailed out on the recordings of The Wall.  Note how his presence is diminished in that album.  It was the disagreements between Wright and Waters that caused Wright to leave.  When the band whittled down to just Gilmour and Mason, there is yet another change in the sound.  A Momentary Lapse of Reason sounds little like its predecessors.  Recall how people often compare it to a Gilmour solo album as they compare The Final Cut to a solo Waters album.  And if you are just comparing the sound of The Wall to earlier PF albums, there is still a difference in sound.  The songs are more concise, there is more emphasis on sound effects, and there is a further emphasis on lyrics rather than instrumentation.

Wright wasn't barely present on "The Final Cut"... he was absolutley and 100% absent.
The Son of Gorp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 22:37
Having band members at each others' throats can't really be good for creating music, I think. Any kind of team effort, especially one as complicated as making music, should have everyone at least tolerating at each other; otherwise, not everyone's getting at least a bit of what they want. 
When Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik, you just know.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 23:43
Personally, I think that an element of dynamic tension can add a great deal to a musical project! 

Brian Eno harvested this energy with his first solo LP, "Here Come the Warm Jets" -

In keeping with the spirit of serendipity emerging from chaos, Eno assembled a diverse group of musicians to contribute: Robert Fripp (with whom he’d already collaborated on the excellent No Pussyfooting), all of Roxy Music save Bryan Ferry, Hawkwind’s Simon King, and various others. 

It was a group of people who were apparently chosen because of their dissimilarities and the potential for conflict: “I’m only interested in working, really, with people I don’t agree with or have a different direction,” Eno explained

" I got [those musicians] together merely because I wanted to see what happens when you combine different identities like that and allow them to compete…. [The situation] is organized with the knowledge that there might be accidents, accidents which will be more interesting than what I had intended.”

Edited by cstack3 - December 26 2014 at 23:46
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 02:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Floyd have never been "the same" between one album and the following one. They had a distinctive sound but the only albums which sound very similar are The Wall and The Final Cut and the second sounds "flat" without Wright's keys. About them as a whole, I remember a gig of the Australian Pink Floyd: they opened with "Learning To Fly" changing the bass line as if Waters was in. I think it was way better than the original.

I agree that the "classic period" ends with Animals, anyway.

TER is excellent mainly because of Wright. I would have expected a bit more effort in the lyrics of the only song as it would have been the last. It's good but can't be compared with High Hopes.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 03:33

I don't agree. Wright's contribution was already 'diminished' by the time Animals was recorded. You can hear this clearly ( or not clearlyWink) on the track Dogs. Just how low can you mix keyboards on a prog album? 

Wish You Were Here was the last proper ensemble album that Floyd made before the band started to disintegrate allbeit very slowly. That's not to say that I love Animals and rate it 5 stars but that is beside the point.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 07:17
The grammar geek in me (my college degree is in Communications) assures you that there is a difference.  Inter is a prefix meaning "between two things".  A conflict between bands would be interband conflict.  A conflict between the memberis of one band would be intraband conflict.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 07:59
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

My friend and I were discussing our thoughts on The Wall by Pink Floyd, and he said he disagreed with me on the fact that band member to band member conflicts (fighting, dislike, etc.) didn't change the band's sound. 

Do you guys think it does or not? Thoughts?

P.S: As an add to this question, do you think that conflict changed other bands for the worse?

The tensions within the band were there loooong before The Wall. Personally I believe those tensions were part of why Animals was such a powerful record. They perfectly mirrored the desolate and dark mood of the concept behind. 
This is also why you get to hear Gilmour at his most ferocious and wild during some of the bootlegs from the subsequent tour (yes I have a few). 
Either way, the conflicts and tensions that gave us Animals ultimately also gave way to The Final Cut, which to me at least is testimony of how these things can go brilliantly and, with the latter, horribly wrong.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:27

Things began to change during "The Wall" not before or after, although by the time you hear Roger's anger at the Anaheim Stadium shows, you get the feeling that they are a bit tired of the whole stadium thing, and that they did not want to do any more of those huge shows ... which they didn't anymore, until David did a few shows way later.

All in all, after having been together for so many years, this is not a surprise, but if there was one thing that did not go right, it was that Roger did not have the patience to wait for Richard to come up with a new sound bit or detail for another of his songs. There were too many of them, and it was like most of them only needed a filler, which Richard was never very good at, anyway!

TER is very nice, but not really as nice as the previous stuff. If you ever try to separate the keyboards from a whole bunch of PF's material, you will find the earlier material way more interesting and pretty than all the stuff that David put together. Not to mention that this new album became a copy of the famous PF pieces, with the guitar solo exactly in the same spot and the song winding down when the guitar is done! Very boring, when you consider how original this band was for very long, which allowed us to call them "progressive", but in the end, it was MOS ... or as they say in radio ... more of the same.

You can not get a sense of what Richard's work is on this album, because these have been augmented and made to look richer than they are. But if you ever hear 10 different versions of Echoes, or Set the Controls for the heart of the Sun, or Atom Heart Mother, you might get a much better idea of the abilities and capabilities that Richard has.

One last detail ... in the "Live in Pompeii" film, it is Roger that we see fooling around with the electronics, and how much of it appeared to have ended up in the album DSOTM, which is nice, but kinda strange ... so even then Richard did not have an input? I think all you have to hear is "Welcome to the Machine" to know that Richard could do the electronics just as hard and intense as Roger helped define for DSOTM.

In another example, Robin Williamson has said that the "differences" between him and Mike Heron were quite interesting and very productive for quite some time. And they both came from very different backgrounds. He thought it helped the process work.

I don't think it is all about the "conflict" as much as it is about the willingness of each member to work together. The main issue, with PF, was that after "The Wall", no one wanted to work with Roger, when he was the boss and already knew everything he wanted! But I do not think that many of us will sit here and trash his solo albums ... except "Ca Ira" which needs to be redone with an electric guitar and rock band and tell all those classicos to take a flying leap off the pier into the dirt in the Channel!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:04
Ermm it was the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, not Anahiem, and after playing 55 dates in 1977 it was touring they were fatigued from, not the size of the venues played. But other than that... yeah, whatever,
What?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:28
Tension can be great for music. But it can also destroy it. It is all relative to each individual involved.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:39
Pink Floyd's sound changed through the seventies as Waters took more and more of a dominant rule in the band and forcefully changed the band's sound and direction by the time Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut rolled around.
The easiest way to answer the question as to if Waters' more dominant role as creator and driving force was good in itself is simply to view the quality of The Wall against that of The Final Cut.

One great Floyd album and one virtually forgettable Floyd album.

Conflict between band members can be musically creative but in the end it always ends up being destructive.

For further proof, look at The Beatles last albums and days together as a band.

Edited by SteveG - December 27 2014 at 10:42
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 11:11
There's a big difference between having artists working together with different views of what they want, but respecting each other, or having situations where band members can't stand each other or behave in an autocratic manner.
It is evident that Emerson and Lake had very different views of the music they wanted to make, but while the chemistry held up they made some great music together. The conflicts within Genesis during The Lamb or within Yes during Tales are also notorious but those albums were great. But everything has a limit.

Sure enough PF's sound changed with Waters' gradual taking over of the musical direction, that's pretty obvious so it would be nice if you could elaborate on why does your friend not see the changes.

But they were not new to intra-band conflicts, the period with Syd must have been hard for all of them. Remember the episode of 'Have You Got It Yet?'. Syd came to the rehearsals with a new song, but as they were learning to play it he would keep on changing it and ask them 'Have you got it yet?' to their despair, until they realised that Syd was just pulling their legs and decided that that was the last drop which spilled the cup and finally fired him.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 11:14
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm it was the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, not Anahiem, and after playing 55 dates in 1977 it was touring they were fatigued from, not the size of the venues played. But other than that... yeah, whatever,

It's on the bootleg for anaheim Stadium, Dean! And I was there!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 11:16
BTW I still don't understand how could Gilmour and Mason be so submissive to Waters for The Final Cut and follow him in the dismissing of Wright out of PF. As much as I respect them as musicians, they disappointed me a lot with that, I would be ashamed if I was them. Alright they recovered him for the post-Waters PF and now they have tried to amend it even more with the release of TER but still it's a nasty episode in their career (unless they shared Waters dislike of Wright, which I'm not aware of).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>