Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInter-Band Conflict

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 05:09
Ermm correlation does not equal causation

The count from Meddle to The Wall is 6 albums ... and I don't see why Atom Heart Mother has been left out of the count either, it was PF's first #1 album after all.
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 05:59
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I also think it was major hostilities between Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore and Glenn Hughes (not 100% sure?) which caused the former to leave the band and form Rainbow instead.

I think it's generally accepted that Richie is a bit of a dickhead to bandmates. 

Captain Beefheart and Robert Fripp have similar reputations for being tyrannical band leaders or at least extremely difficult to work with, some of Beefheart's treatment of his bandmates even striking me as suspiciously similar to textbook sociopath behaviour.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

BTW I still don't understand how could Gilmour and Mason be so submissive to Waters for The Final Cut and follow him in the dismissing of Wright out of PF. As much as I respect them as musicians, they disappointed me a lot with that, I would be ashamed if I was them. Alright they recovered him for the post-Waters PF and now they have tried to amend it even more with the release of TER but still it's a nasty episode in their career (unless they shared Waters dislike of Wright, which I'm not aware of).

the obvious reason is that Waters was the only real creative force in the band and Gilmour knew it so didn't want to take sides against him.
Mmmm.... I don't think it's fair to say that Waters was the only real creative force in the band, but it's true that it was difficult times for Prog (even the PF sort of Prog) and while the other members were probably a bit confused and hesitating regarding which direction to follow (as can be glimpsed by the solo albums), Waters was the one seemingly having a clear view and determination for what he wanted. The big commercial success of The Wall probably weighted too in supporting Waters.

It's impossible to make any fair judgement without being in their shoes, of course, and while I have read about Wright having some difficult times, I'm not really aware what it was about, coke, depression, just fed up of Waters, or whatever. But it seems to me that Gilmour and Mason could have had a bit more integrity in supporting Wright in his right to stay considered as a true PF member. The whole thing of firing him and giving him the status of hired gun looked rather disgusting from the outside, although I guess that if Wright accepted it, there must have been some solid ground, otherwise I guess that his pride would not have allowed him to accept that degradation.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:06
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

Very rare that a band makes more than 5 truly great albums.  People will argue this, what's great etc.. but to my ears, as soon as a band makes an album that clearly is not as good as the previous ones, it's usually over.

I doubt many would argue that "In through the out Door" was anywhere near the previous releases from LZ.

Nursery Crime, Foxtrot, Selling England, Lamb, Trick of the Tail.  Wind and Wuthering was not on par and at best could have been a double album with Trick.  But everything after that.  Not as good.

Meddle through the Wall is 5 albums.

Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales, Relayer.

Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road.  Yellow Submarine?  No. Let it Be? No.

ELP,
Tarkus,
Trilogy
BSS

Works? No

To me, and just my opinion, Gentle Giant and King Crimson exceeded the 5 album expectation.

Nah. That's all too subjective. For example, I prefer Trespass more than all (great) Genesis' albums you mentioned above; for me, that's Genesis' best one; I like Endless River more than The Wall  etc.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm correlation does not equal causation

The count from Meddle to The Wall is 6 albums ... and I don't see why Atom Heart Mother has been left out of the count either, it was PF's first #1 album after all.

Yep, I was thinking something along the same lines. Sure, that may also have something to do with Atom Heart Mother being my favourite (or at least one of them) Floyd album.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 07:33

Very rare that a band makes more than 5 truly great albums. 
What is the significance of the number 5? 

Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road.  Yellow Submarine?  No. Let it Be? No. 

The White Album? Magical Mystery Tour? 

To me, and just my opinion, Gentle Giant and King Crimson exceeded the 5 album expectation. 
 I would conditionally agree with that, but what is it that makes the 5-album threshold so important? Why not set it at 4 or 6 albums? I am asking this not in a scornful way; just trying to figure out how this number is relevant. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 09:44
While Waters was clearly a significant creative driving force Floyd aren't Floyd without Gilmour and Wright. Without them you get unsatisfying Waters solo material.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 10:49

While Waters was clearly a significant creative driving force Floyd aren't Floyd without Gilmour and Wright. Without them you get unsatisfying Waters solo material.

I don't think that's fair at all. Roger's solo albums are different and almost all of them very good, albeit unlilke the earlier PF that the lyrics were more poetic and strange, now all the lyrics are about something that is happening around us. And maybe this was one of Roger's points, but it could also be said that Roger had an opinion on everything, and could make a song about them all1

i think the PF material, even going back to the earlier days, was more about the laid back thing, which disappeared the day their shows became more computerized and they lost the ability to expand and fool around on the stage which was there in the earlier days, in every bootleg available!

I will never disagree with "Radio Kaos" ... I saw it with my very own eyes, and Guy Guden had to put up with the same crap over and over again, even on the days that we were living in the same apartment. It wasn't fun for him at all! I can't sit here, and honestly feel that "Amused to Death" is a silly album! It's extremely with it, albeit I still think that ANGE's "Emile Jacotey" done 20 years earlier was far superior an album. I do think that his The Wall" was not better than the original. But all that hardly makes him a megalomaniac. "The Wall" is to rock music, what a Baryshnikov, or Nureyev was to ballet ... you only get one chance in life and its gone! They are "major events" in the rock music stuff, and not many will disagree with that. In the original "Wall" there were a lot of folks complaining because it was only being done in large cities, and the rest of the world would not see it. Well, I doubt that Pavarotti ever playied in Podunk, Arizona as well!

It's OK to disagree, but being cynical because the man has opinions, and the music in PF became all opinionated instead of far out and trippy, is not the right thing to be on about! People do change! And the band entity would also, naturally, change with that.

Edited by moshkito - December 28 2014 at 10:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 11:08
What I find unsatisfying about Waters solo music aren't the lyrics, that's his strength, he's always had plenty to say, it's the lack of music. That's what Gilmour & Wright brought. Hell it's just my opinion, I personally prefer more music in my music.  
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 11:18

What I find unsatisfying about Waters solo music aren't the lyrics, that's his strength, he's always had plenty to say, it's the lack of music. That's what Gilmour & Wright brought. Hell it's just my opinion, I personally prefer more music in my music.  

I won't disagree with that ... sometimes, one does not have to scream and shout to get a point accross. But it wouldn't be fair to say that Roger's points and majority of work is egotistical and self-centered. I don't think he is, and he is honest about his feelings.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:17

Couldn't agree more with that.....and I don't think any of Water's solo albums are that good.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:21
^This. If any band was the sum of it's parts, Waters era Floyd was!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 16:07
Back when I was the primary writer in a prog band in the early 80's, I had a major conflict with another band member who was a poor writer (I'll spare the details).  As I relisten to our album I really feel that the conflict between us wasn't good for the quality of the music as there were many places where I tried to incorporate his ideas...they ended up sounding like the songs were stuffing bits and pieces into them that ruined the flow.  On the other hand, the songs were more diverse and representative of what the total band identity was.  If we're talking about Floyd, this conflict worked because the writers were all talented!  It's kind of like the whole McCartney-Lennon thing where the conflict between the two worked because they were great writers.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:51
I don't think it's just me when I say that none of PF's solo work even makes it close to the majesty of the original band. And sure, deaths and conflicts did cause major repercussions in their sound as well as their fan-base. Less and less people wanted to listen to them because they weren't the same without each other. You could even call TER a bare-boned project held on by a little bit of sinew that is Gilmour and Mason, which is totally fine in saying. But I don't know if their conflicts changed the band the better, because it seems constant anger towards each other just opened up more and more doors to hostility leading in more degrading of their quality. I personally think that 'inter-band conflict' as I say does lead to many more cons than it does pros. 

Edited by aglasshouse - December 28 2014 at 18:51
http://fryingpanmedia.com
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:56

Very rare that a band makes more than 5 truly great albums.  People will argue this, what's great etc.. but to my ears, as soon as a band makes an album that clearly is not as good as the previous ones, it's usually over.

I doubt many would argue that "In through the out Door" was anywhere near the previous releases from LZ.

Nursery Crime, Foxtrot, Selling England, Lamb, Trick of the Tail.  Wind and Wuthering was not on par and at best could have been a double album with Trick.  But everything after that.  Not as good.

ELP,
Tarkus,
Trilogy
BSS

Works? No

To add, I think making general points at what albums are 'great' or not is highly subjective. Different people hold albums with different care than others, causing them to think that they are overall masterpieces. In the case of Gentle Giant and King Crimson, they did produce a larger amount of generally loved albums than other bands. Of course this is sort of obvious in saying, but people have different tastes. And in the case with alot of albums by bands, there's much controversy on whether they're really up to scratch or not. So that begs the question if there really is such a thing as a 'great album'. I guess in the end that is sort of up to a personal definition. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 19:20
I read somewheres that Richard Wright was dramatically downgraded to the status of hired hand for the album. If true, that would have certainly stymied the thing to some extent, although I wouldn't have given diddly as I'm no fan of El Wall.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 19:41
I wonder what synth Wright used on Run Like Hell...??
The Ozrics had a great run throughout the 90's - for me, Pungent through to Waterfall Cities don't really fall shy of being masterpieces......but I'd probably confess that Erpland deserves 6 stars out of 5 !! I have a handful of personal 6's......

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 28 2014 at 19:42
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 20:21

ELP,
Tarkus,
Trilogy
BSS

Works? No

No love for Going For The One? Wow. Every bit as good as Fragile.
Others might also include Yesterday and Today and Beatles '65 for a seven album run.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 02:42
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I read somewheres that Richard Wright was dramatically downgraded to the status of hired hand for the album. If true, that would have certainly stymied the thing to some extent, although I wouldn't have given diddly as I'm no fan of El Wall.
Yes he was, although he was so pissed off with Waters at the time that apparently he did not fight too hard about it.

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It was most certainly a Prophet-5. It is said that very few of the keyboards in The Wall were actually played by Wright, most were played by Bob Ezrin and session musicians Pete Woods, Fred Mandell and Michael Kamen, but it seems that the solo in Run Like Hell was indeed played by Wright.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 02:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

For those interested, here (the link below) is a quite complete document about the gear Rick Wright has played over the years, and the info on each instrument is complemented by comments about the band and the period. Here is the entry about the Prophet-5 commenting about The Wall period and Wright's conflicts with Waters and the album. I am not certain about the accuracy of all the comments though:

SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS (SCI) PROPHET V Polyphonic Synthesizer (1979-1981) – Wright
acquired this polyphonic synthesizer when it first came out and used it for The Wall sessions and live
shows. Prophet V was the first fully programmable analogue synth that offered unsurpassed (until then)
polyphony, could play multi-sounds & effects with echoes & repeats, and had extremely flexible analogue
filters, envelopes and LFOs. The Prophet quickly become the de facto ‘80s analogue classic, inevitably
favoured by the synth pop bands of the ‘romantic’ era, but its sound and programming flexibility
(notwithstanding its instability) made it a favourite among people like Rick Wakeman, Peter Gabriel,
Laurie Anderson and Richard Barbieri (who uses it as his main synthesizer with Porcupine Tree to this day)
as well as to synth pioneers like Vangelis, Jarre and Tangerine Dream. Even now, Wright refers to the
Prophet as his ‘favourite synth’. This poses a bit of an argument regarding the debate about how much of
the keyboards/synthesizers heard in The Wall (which was -by Floyd standards- not that much anyway) was
actually played by Wright, as opposed to session musicians. The keyboard/synth credits for The Wall has
been a very ‘sticky’ issue, indeed. Through the years, it has been assumed that most of the keyboard
duties were not handled by Wright, but by Bob Ezrin, Pete Woods, Freddie Mandell and Michael Kamen
(even Gilmour claims to have played some). Yet, this might be a slight exaggeration, for all we know. It is
unanimously accepted that Rick did not ‘pull his weight’ during the recordings. However, it is also known
that Wright did play keyboards up until the point when Roger made it clear that neither him nor Mason
would receive a production credit. It is well-documented that, once Ezrin was established as the arbiter of
the sessions, Wright lost interest and got himself infamously ‘sacked’ after the summer of ’79. Therefore,
several keyboard parts were left unfinished including the finishing overdubs (obligatory, because of the
way the Floyd demoed the material), and keyboards for tracks that were only finished later in the process
(e.g. “Nobody Home”). James Guthrie, who co-produced and engineered the sessions, has said that ‘Rick
did some great playing on that album, whether or not people remember it – some fantastic Hammond
parts’. It would then be fair to say that Wright did contribute up to a certain point in the album’s
development. Generally speaking, the keyboards in The Wall assumed a role very different to that of
previous Floyd albums. There was a lot of material, the tracks had to be ‘tighter’, so there was not much
space for extended sections and solos. The overall production (heavily influenced by seasoned hard-rock
producer Ezrin) called for guitars that were harder, full of delay and flanger and keyboard parts that
suited the mock-heavy rock style of tracks like “In The Flesh”, “Young Lust” and “Waiting for the
worms”, so inevitably the focus was on ‘rock organ’-type Hammond parts and piano that was quite
different to Rick’s usual jazzy style. Several sections were orchestrated and had to be precise, something
that Rick –an improvisation fan and not the most competent pianist- could never really cope with; whereas
session keyboardists could. On demand and on the spot; exactly the way Waters and Ezrin would like.
Synthesizers were relatively subdued in the album and nowhere near as prominent as in previous albums:
adding a certain ‘edge’ in places (e.g. the piano-complementing synth sweeps in “Thin Ice” or the synthbehind-the-vocal melody in “Goodbye blue sky”); providing atmospheric ‘embellishments’ (like the
unmistakably “Sheep”-reminiscing passages of “Don’t leave me now” or the synth in “Is there anybody out
there?”) and complementing some orchestral parts. All in all, a far cry from the band’s adventurous
keyboard arrangements. So, assuming that several of Rick’s Hammond parts were actually used, surely some of the synth parts were also played by him; otherwise why would Rick say that the Prophet was his
favourite synth? The synth solo in “Run Like Hell” (1979) is the only prominent synthesizer spot in the
album, along with the intro of “Empty Spaces” and the ending chords of “Another brick in the wall, part
1” and were all most probably played by Rick. The synth sound in “Run like hell” –which harks back to the
MiniMoog- he would use again, fifteen years later, in “Far from the Harbour Wall” from Broken China. The
remaining keyboard parts and overdubs were, indeed, played by others: most –if not all- piano parts were
played by Woods and Kamen; Woods also played electric piano; some Hammond parts (e.g. “In the Flesh”,
“One of my turns”) were played by Freddie Mandell; and the synthesizer overdubs were probably handled
by Ezrin; a keen keyboardist/synth player in his own right.
As soon as The Wall shows came to an end, Wright went sailing in the Greek isles. With the exception of
his brief involvement with the Fairlight, as part of the ill-fated Zee duo in 1984, Wright missed out most
of the synthesizer development of the 1980s, until his lukewarm ‘comeback’ in ‘87. 

Here the link to the complete document:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>