Topic ClosedRomantic Warriors 3 - Canterbury Tales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romantic Warriors 3 - Canterbury Tales
    Posted: December 27 2014 at 23:12
Just got back from a wonderful evening with a neat group of people of an advance screening of Adele and Jose's new Romantic Warriors 3 movie. Filmmakers,  musicians, record label owners, famous prog music reviewers, and saps like me just taking up space LOL

I think everyone will LOVE this movie.  While the RIO one was my favorite for simply educating me a great deal on a scene and music I really didn't know well, this one was more pure ear candy.  Some cool stuff and live clips I had never seen before, and lots of great interviews.  Everyone keep your ears out for it next year!  Another great labor of love from those Adele and Jose! 

And REALLY looking forward to the planned next one. Wink

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 23:20
Looking forward to this one.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 23:32
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Looking forward to this one.

Thumbs Up I did gain a helluva lot appreciation for the Softs, I'll say that. Very very well done. As if we expected anything less from Jose and Adele.

It will be worth seeing for the Daevid Allen interviews. Classic LOL

oh btw. I think the Gong Army gained a few more recruits.  Some of the people invited were not prog fans, more movie makers and the such, and after the screening we had a nearly 2 hour comment and discussion about the movie.  One thing was clear... they LOVED Gong! LOLLOLClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 07:25
I already have a lot of ideas for what I will write in my review. This is going to be a truly special film - not only very accurate in historical terms, but also very touching.

There is also a section that our friend H.T. will particularly appreciate Wink....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 07:44
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I already have a lot of ideas for what I will write in my review. This is going to be a truly special film - not only very accurate in historical terms, but also very touching.

There is also a section that our friend H.T. will particularly appreciate Wink....

yeah... smokin' hot LOL
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 21:26
looking forward to it...own and enjoyed the first two...seems like maybe the trend is increasing quality as they gain experience

i am not much of a canterbury fan tho

maybe krautrock will be next, that would be sweet

or, maybe a full zeuhl treatment....
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 23:40
Thumbs Up
Also looking forward to it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 11:00
I contributed to the Indie Gogo campaign for this! Psyched to see it!

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

I contributed to the Indie Gogo campaign for this! Psyched to see it!

Trust me...  it is going to be great.  The rough cut as we saw was great as it was,  in fact as I alluded to there were NON prog fans there and they were quite honest in their thoughts and feedback (as we all were. One reason we spent 2 hours dissecting every inch of it).

The most interesting thing to note from their comments in particular, the film was nearly 2 hours long, and they made a point of saying that even though many of the groups (well nearly ALL of them) were not familar at ALL to them, they never found the film boring and found it quite interesting.

That more than anything, like my own personal thoughts on it, tells me it will be a great documentary. Clap
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 20:53
Do we know a release date..? Also if they'll do an online streaming of the movie...? This has been in production forever, please let it out of its cage!! 
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 15:02
From the "Romantic Warriors - A Progressive Music Saga" page on Facebook:

"The next two months will be dedicated to finalize the film. We will continue the licensing process of footage, stills and music and we are aiming to go into the mastering process by the end of February."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 15:04
Originally posted by Morelli Morelli wrote:

From the "Romantic Warriors - A Progressive Music Saga" page on Facebook:

"The next two months will be dedicated to finalize the film. We will continue the licensing process of footage, stills and music and we are aiming to go into the mastering process by the end of February."

Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 15:31
NO!!!!!!  pictures of me.  I cry foul on that. I am trying to help promote this, and in return they give away my precious anonymity.

Who had the camera??

Adele!!!!  Angry
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 18:27
Excellent news for everyone who has been looking forward to this film! Earlier today I received the latest newsletter, informing me (and anyone else who has contributed to the project) that the film is finally complete, and the DVD will be released in early April. Watching the finished product will be a bittersweet experience, as Daevid Allen features prominently in the documentary.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 18:32
Clap way cool!  Now they need to take requests for volume 4.... RPI or Krautrock.. which will it be? LOL Either one would be AWESOME!
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:10
I think another awesome one would be all the groups east of the Berlin Wall that were basically breaking the law to play their music. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 17:59
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

I think another awesome one would be all the groups east of the Berlin Wall that were basically breaking the law to play their music. 

Clap helluva idea.  That would be damn interesting to see a volume of RW on the prog scene in the 70's in the old Communist Bloc..

It wasn't Reagan that killed Communism... it was prog rock...LOL
Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 11:51
From FB page Romantic Warriors - A Progressive Music Saga
http://https://www.facebook.com/pages/Romantic-Warriors-A-Progressive-Music-Saga/136452959730143?fref=nf

"Romantic Warriors III – Canterbury Tales" (USA, 2015, 118 minutes)
The third film in the series guides you through the amazing history, development of the Canterbury Scene and its influence on contemporary bands. The emergence of the Canterbury Scene in the late 60s represents a remarkable period in the history of British progressive rock music; a breeding ground for world-class musicians of considerable harmonic and compositional sophistication. Over the years, with outside musicians joining Canterbury bands, new bands all over the world have emerged adopting the "Canterbury sound".

DVD ON PRE-SALE AT WWW.PROGDOCS.COM, NTSC DVD ships early April 2015

FEATURING

SOFT MACHINE • CARAVAN • GONG • DELIVERY • EGG
FORGAS BAND PHENOMENA • GILGAMESH • GLASS
HATFIELD AND THE NORTH • IN CAHOOTS • MATCHING MOLE • PLANETA IMAGINARIO • QUIET SUN
MOVING GELATINE PLATES • NATIONAL HEALTH • NUCLEUS
SOFT MACHINE LEGACY • SUPERSISTER • SYD ARTHUR
THE MUFFINS • THE WILDE FLOWERS • THE WRONG OBJECT

DVD ON SALE AT WWW.PROGDOCS.COM
LANGUAGE - ENGLISH, FRENCH, AND SPANISH 
SUBTITLES - ENGLISH
PICTURE -16:9 SOUND - 2.0 STEREO TOTAL TIME – 118 MIN.
©℗ 2015 ZEITGEIST MEDIA LLC.

Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 21:55
First Review by Bruce Lee Gallanter:
www.progdocs.com
ROMANTIC WARRIORS III - Canterbury Tales [DVD] (Zeitgeist Media; USA) Directed by Adele Schmidt & Jose Zegarra Holder; Two hours. An outstanding documentation/story about the Canterbury Scene! How did a small allegedly non-existent "scene" of perhaps a dozen musicians from the mid-sixties British town of Canterbury go on to influence several generations of musicians and fans from around the planet earth for so long and still resonate today fifty years later? This is/was an ambitious task and it is the third in a series of films that these two directors have done to explore and explain certain areas of progressive music that could use (y)our respect. The Canterbury scene started in the mid-sixties with the Wilde Flowers, mostly school friends from the Canterbury area, who by 1967/1968 split into two bands: Soft Machine and Caravan, two odd/pop/psych bands who had a number of similarities at the beginning of their careers. The original Softs featured Daevid Allen, Kevin Ayers, Mike Ratledge and Robert Wyatt, four very different creative musicians with distinctive and different personalties. Soft Machine recorded eleven albums between 1968 & 1976, the personnel changed on every record, so their sound was always in flux. Since a handful of key members of the CS have passed away over the past decade (Elton Dean, Hugh Hopper, Steve Miller, Kevin Ayers, Pip Pyle and very recently Daevid Allen), there are dozens of interviews with many of the survivors: Daevid Allen (ever-enchanting, longtime leader of Gong speaks the most), Brian Hopper, Richard Sinclair, Roy Babbington, David Sinclair, Bill McCormick, Didier Mahlherbe, Phil Miller, Mont Campbell, Robert Wyatt, Chris Cutler... A number of Canterbury-related bands are mentioned as well: Egg, Matching Mole, Hatfield & the North, National Health, In Cahoots, various versions of Gong, Soft Works and Soft Machine Legacy. There is a large amount of rare footage of different eras of Soft Machine & Gong, Caravan, Hatfield and Softs Legacy, making this a deep treasure chest unending gems. The complex histories of many of these bands are unraveled as best as could be done, making this consistently compelling.
About a third of this long film features interviews and live footage from the many bands worldwide who have been influenced by the Canterbury Scene from the time it started until today: Supersister, Moving Gelatine Plates, Forgas Band, the Wrong Object, the Muffins, Glass, Planeta Imaginario and Sid Arthur. A trio of Canterbury experts also get to make a number of their own points throughout: Americ Leroy (Calyx website, historian & liner notes writer), Leonardo Petrovic (head of Moonjune label) and yours truly (DMG founder & 1/2 century Canterbury devotee).
There are a number of magical musicians here who give their own charming perspective and are quoted throughout: Daevid Allen, Didier Mahlherbe, Richard Sinclair, Phil Miller and David Sinclair, who closes this film with a poignant solo version of the Caravan classic "Nine Feet Underground". Bravo here to both directors who have done a marvelous job of capturing the spirit of something most elusive yet still so important to many of us who are long nourished by it. - Bruce Lee Gallanter, DMG
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 14:10
With apologies for the shameless self-promotion, here's my review of the film, just published on my blog: http://progmistress.com/2015/04/29/romantic-warriors-iii-canterbury-tales-2015/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>