FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome PA Statistics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Great job Gerard! Clap But where did you find the time to do it?
I'm unemployed at the moment, preparing to return from Belgium to my native Spain and look for a new job there. Hopefully soon I will not have so much time for these things Tongue
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:22
Nice!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:24
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'm unemployed at the moment, preparing to return from Belgium to my native Spain and look for a new job there. Hopefully soon I will not have so much time for these things Tongue
I wish you the best of luck in the coming New Year Gerard! Thumbs Up
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:25
Brrr.... forget the numbers and enjoy the music.

Although there's some interesting stuff in there.

Edited by Angelo - December 30 2014 at 09:25
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:25

I wish you the best of luck in the coming New Year Gerard! Thumbs Up
Thanks my friend !!! Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:34

Oh my gawd ... my sister is in Paris, and she says that jobs in Portugal, Spain and France is almost like begging!

Absolutely hope for the best of luck and that someone finds and appreciates your enthusiasm with a database!

Edited by moshkito - December 30 2014 at 09:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:37
^You can always count on Mosh to lift someone's spirits! Confused
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Oh my gawd ... my sister is in Paris, and she says that jobs in Portugal, Spain and France is almost like begging!

Absolutely hope for the best of luck and that someone finds and appreciates your enthusiasm with a database!
Thanks Pedro, indeed the job market in Spain is pathetic, but I have confidence in myself. I will find something, the problem is the salary, I could easily get 2 or 3 times more if I stayed in Belgium, but I'm fed up of not seeing the sun. Personally feeling well is important too.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:54
In hindsight, the 1980's look a bit unfair with such a low average rating of the Top albums. Sure enough in terms of quantity there were very few good albums, I have no problem with the low number of >= 4.00 albums, but those which were good were pretty good, in fact when we check just the 5 Top albums they have a very respectable high rating, but they were just 4 or 5 per year, so when making the average of the Top 20 the rating goes down dramatically.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 10:06

i think the only way to lift your spirits is a kick in the butt?

Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 11:32
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

Gerinski,

It's very interesting to see a really different thread here.  Great job, Gerinski!  It's prompting me to look at the top albums for 2013 and 2014, and try to determine why there's such a massive change in the number of 4 star albums.  Isn't that exactly the kind of thing we're supposed to do with statistics? 
Some more details about this:
In this graph we see, in the red line the rating of the top albums from 1 to 100 for 2013, and in the blue line the same for 2014.
We see clearly that for 2013 albums, they stay above the 4.00 mark (green line) up to around the Top 60. For 2014 on the other hand, ratings go below the 4.00 mark after around the 20th top album.

I have also included the number of ratings as vertical bars, red ones for 2013 and blue ones for 2014, where it is clear what I mentioned before that 2014 albums still have many less ratings than 2013 albums. The exception in 2014 with a lot of ratings in rank # 50 is Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope with 437 ratings.

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 11:52
Wow, this is fascinating and amazing work! I'm a data freak too, so it's cool to see how the database lines up that way.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 16:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

i think the only way to lift your spirits is a kick in the butt?

Tongue
I'm sorry Mosh. I know that you meant well. Smile
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 17:37
Ok, by this analysis how does 2013 compare to 2012? In a previous post, you proposed that 2014 metrics may be down because of the shorter time window for which 2014 reviews could have been posted. 2013 is clearly anomalous to both years prior and after 2013. Comparing 2012 to 2013 would be one way to test your hypothesis.

Also, I realize these data aren't available, but it would be fascinating to pull together demographic data related to the reviewers making the reviews. While I tend to believe the 1980's were pretty bleak for prog, I have to wonder whether or not the relatively lower ratings are also related to a "dead spot" in the demographic profile of our community. My impression is that we have many community members who are older and grew up through prog's heyday in the 1970's, and that we have another significant subset of members who are younger and came to age in the 1990's and 2000's. Do we have a relatively lack of community members who came to age in the 1980's? 

Anyway, thanks for posting these - I find it is always fun to look at data try to interpret what might be going on behind the numbers.
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 20:58
Cool work, especially the first graph! Personally, I'd really like to see the subgenre percentages presented as a bar graph in a more accessible way... it's hard to track how the subgenres compare to each other overtime, looking at which ones were strongest/weakest during which years.
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 22:20
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Ok, by this analysis how does 2013 compare to 2012? In a previous post, you proposed that 2014 metrics may be down because of the shorter time window for which 2014 reviews could have been posted. 2013 is clearly anomalous to both years prior and after 2013. Comparing 2012 to 2013 would be one way to test your hypothesis.

Also, I realize these data aren't available, but it would be fascinating to pull together demographic data related to the reviewers making the reviews. While I tend to believe the 1980's were pretty bleak for prog, I have to wonder whether or not the relatively lower ratings are also related to a "dead spot" in the demographic profile of our community. My impression is that we have many community members who are older and grew up through prog's heyday in the 1970's, and that we have another significant subset of members who are younger and came to age in the 1990's and 2000's. Do we have a relatively lack of community members who came to age in the 1980's? 

Anyway, thanks for posting these - I find it is always fun to look at data try to interpret what might be going on behind the numbers.

Also, it would be interesting if that same last graph was done in a year from now, and see how much it might change.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 23:44
Great work Gerinsky! I don't want to hypnotize how you managed to get those figures as I dislike maths much. Brilliant overview for P.A. however in my line of work, those jumps and declines would mean that the business is very unstable thus giving a bad insight overview to our shareholders.   Unhappy hug Hug
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 02:23
Nice stuff Gerinski! I'd be interested to see a version of the albums over 4.00 chart, where rather than total number of albums above, it was the percentage of albums from that year that were above, if you've got access to the data to do that without manually counting them all!

Also, the subgenre graph might be easier to read if it was displayed as a percentage area chart, like this (just a random example):

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 03:12

Here are the ratings for the Top 100 in 2012, 2013 and 2014 (when trying to add more years the graph gets too messy). We see that the anomaly of 2013 is that a lot of the Top 100 albums stay over the 4.00 mark (red line). Even the albums around the 70th rank are still above 4.00. For 2014 after the 20th rank practically all albums are already below 4.00. 2012 was a bit in between, with albums starting to drop below the 4.00 mark around rank 55th.

In the small box I mention the average number of ratings per album, where we see that indeed for 2014 albums the number of ratings is still quite low compared to previous years.

There are too many unknown factors, for example I guess that reviewers activity has a significant impact since their reviews have a high weight. In years were reviewers are very active reviewing the new albums it is sound to imagine that ratings get higher, while if, just for example, in 2014 they were relatively inactive reviewing new albums, the ratings will be mostly by normal members and the total ratings will be lower.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 03:16

Here are the ratings for the Top 100 in 2012, 2013 and 2014 (when trying to add more years the graph gets too messy). We see that the anomaly of 2013 is that a lot of the Top 100 albums stay over the 4.00 mark (red line). Even the albums around the 70th rank are still above 4.00. For 2014 after the 20th rank practically all albums are already below 4.00. 2012 was a bit in between, with albums starting to drop below the 4.00 mark around rank 55th.

In the small box I mention the average number of ratings per album, where we see that indeed for 2014 albums the number of ratings is still quite low compared to previous years.

There are too many unknown factors, for example I guess that reviewers activity has a significant impact since their reviews have a high weight. In years were reviewers are very active reviewing the new albums it is sound to imagine that ratings get higher, while if, just for example, in 2014 they were relatively inactive reviewing new albums, the ratings will be mostly by normal members and the total ratings will be lower.

Considering I am a nincompoop, these statistics need more details for me Ermm the x y axis are not very clear to me, however I bet it will make perfect sense to others Ouch big hug to you, Gerinsky Hug 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>