Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Great Bands (new or old) you discovered last year
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat Bands (new or old) you discovered last year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 17:35
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Got into Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, Sun City Girls (thanks Steve!), XTC - just Skylarking so far, but defs gonna check out more of their stuff. Not sure if Vaporwave was a late '13 or early '14 discovery, but it's a notable one - Infinity Frequencies, Young Muslim and Fuji Grid TV
You're welcome, buddy. Smile

XTC rules, by the way.  A wonderful discography is waiting for you. 

And yeah, vaporwave (genre) was a big discovery this year.  Something addicting about that stuff.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 07 2015 at 17:35
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 17:37
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

thanks for the rundown. after reading your description of Mouthus i had an inkling Slow Globes might not to representative of their sound. liked both the tb links, so i think i will pursue this further Smile
Yay! Big smile  Happy listening.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 19:07
Unwound (post-hardcore with elements of modern classical, post-rock, and psychedelia)
Chavez (noise-rock with brilliant songwriting)
Iceage (post-punk with touches of hardcore on their first album, hardcore with touches of post-punk on their second, and chaotic, intense, drunk, gothy, jazzy, country post-punk on their third)
Sea Oleena (ambient laced singer-songwriter stuff)
Cloud Nothings (melodic hardcore punk-ish thing produced by Steve Albini on their new album)
Real Estate (dreamy pop but not dream pop. It makes minimal use of effects and reverb, but remains distant-sounding and understated)
Blut Aus Nord (Black metal with millions of guitars)
Thantifaxath (Similar to Blut Aus Nord, but a little more riffy and melodic)
Hundred Waters (electronic pop, firmly and effortlessly rooted in indigenous folk musics)
Inter Arma (Proggy blackened sludge/doom)
Single Mothers (the angriest post-hardcore you'll ever hear)
Lush (melodic dream-pop/shoegaze)

Other than these I listened to a lot of bands I had heard of, but never heard before, but I decided not to include them because they are numerous.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 11:10
My discoveries last year were, as usual, many, and can be largely summed up in two words: 'gramophone' and 'saxophone'.

Since I'm a big fan of Motorpsycho, I decided to check out other bands on their label, Rune Grammofon, which lead me to discover a host of bands I now consider favourites, including Bushman's Revenge, Elephant9, Jono El Grande, Krokofant and Ultralyd.

Krokofant and Ultralyd made me for the first time really appreciate the sax as the primary instrument in an artist's musical palette. This opened a whole new world for me, and lead me to check out Trioscapes, and Ultralyd saxophonist Kjetil Møster's solo output (after seeing him perform live with Bushman's Revenge). Especially Trioscapes' debut album and Møster's two albums under the Møster! moniker, a supergroup where he surrounds himself with members of Elephant9 and Motorpsycho, was given a lot of playing time the last few months of 2014, and this has continued into the new year. Great stuff!

Another sax dominated "discovery" I made (although I have to thank David (Guldbamsen) for the recommendation) was Guillaume Perret & the Electric Epic. I've only heard their second album, "Open Me", but I'll make it a priority to get my hands on their eponymous studio album debut asap.

Kayo Dot 's yet another band I discovered in '14 which uses sax frequently. Well, discovered is perhaps not the right word, as I'd heard their penultimate album, "Hubardo", but that one did nothing for me. "Coffins on Io" did however. That one was almost love at first listen.

Goat 's another band I really enjoyed, and hadn't listened to before. Love "Commune"! Got to get their earlier output as well, at some point.

Oh, and then there was Seven Impale, of course. Almost forgot to mention them. Another sax dominated band. And oh so good!

The last discovery I did in '14 that I'd like to mention is the GY!BE offshoot band A Silver Mt. Zion, with their album of last year, "F**k Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything", ending up as my album of the year. Heart
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 12:04
Last year I went on an Amazon CD buying spree to pick up some newer music (2000 and beyond).
The result was:

Audioslave
Chevelle
Disturbed
Down
The Dreaming
Five Finger Death Punch
The Gracious Few
Orange Goblin
The Sword
Tantric
Three Days Grace

Most, if not all, are hard rock/metal.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 13:59
Electric Orange, Winny Puhh, Moon Ra, Improvisi, Moon Apes, Dark Patrick, Bird Radio, and Thee Hairee Kuntz. 

I hardly bought any music last year, as I was getting rid of a lot of music in readiness for moving house.

Edited by Stool Man - February 04 2015 at 14:00
rotten hound of the burnie crew
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 14:07
ahhh..  one band takes this nod as my 'discovery' of last year. Raff had seen them before and knew I'd love them once I finally got a chance to see them.  I did, she knows my tastes better than I do, and was definitely the highlight for me of the Orion 20th anni show. Hopefully they'll have a new album. I'd hate to have finally discovered them, just to catch them on the way out the door LOL

gotta love the next generation digging the prog... how precious. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 14:39
As I have been collaborating with a number of prog sites (besides PA) in the past few years, I discover new bands every year, and try to spread the word in the "year in review" articles I post on my blog in early January. Anyway, my biggest discoveries of 2014 have been Ut Gret and Seven Impale - both bands that have proved successful with other PA collabs.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 14:03
2014 was a very interesting year for me where I stretched out beyond what I normally go for. Disco is one of those genres that has crept up on me, although we're talking the modern stuff. Folks like Todd Terje and Lindstrøm have been regular visitors in my stereo - the latter even infusing a bit of progressive electronic aus Deutschland into the mix. 

Talking usual suspects, or at the very least: styles of music I'm already familiar with, then Syd Arthur, Pond, Agusa, The War On Drugs, Deerhunter and many many more that I can't remember at this very moment. 

Oh!!! Mustn't forget about Causa Sui drummer Jacob Skøtt eitherEmbarrassed He's made a couple of prog electronic albums over the last couple of years, dipping his toes in both avantguarde territories as well as a more rocking groove akin to American electrolytes Zombi. Tune
He should be on PA, but I am in no hurry.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 14:28
Btw Steve

Your new avi pic of Ariel Pink looks remarkably like ThorTongue
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 09:07
Oh, I forgot to mention Hatfield and the North. Perhaps my favourite discovery of '14.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 21:29
Oh wow this forum already exists! I did not know this, is it possible to add the comments made by other members on another forum topic (topic identical to this one) move here instead and remove that one? I say this only because I started that other one, would not request this if it was done by someone else of course. The topic is exactly the same, Holly Molly started this (btw you are most awesome Holly MollyClap), therefore it makes sense to consolidate both into this one? hugs Hug 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12