Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your least favorite album from giants?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Pick the worst!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [20.19%]
12 [11.54%]
26 [25.00%]
9 [8.65%]
3 [2.88%]
17 [16.35%]
11 [10.58%]
5 [4.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonyus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your least favorite album from giants?
    Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:36
Hi All,

After releasing several masterpieces, prog.rock giants dramatically changed their direction and we'd facing these kind of albums in 80s or later. I just wondering; what is your least favorite album?

my vote goes to Yes Cry
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:41
i'm probably the only person on this planet that thinks The Final Cut is a masterpiece
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:49
I'll be honest, of the five of these titles listed that I own (the first five, but not the Tull or Rush album), I actually really enjoy them all. Good tunes, good playing - all good!

And yeah, I'm with you, Walton, `The Final Cut' is absolutely superb. A career best vocal from Roger on it is just one of the standout things about it   
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:58
Abacab, Under Wraps and Beat are weak albums, but not the worst in their respective bands' discographies.  
The Final Cut is Roger Waters solo album, with Gilmour and Mason as sidemen.  
Big Generator is, actually, not too bad at all - not prog, but still a fairly decent symph. 

I am not familiar iwth the remainder of the listed albums .  
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 09:01
I haven't heard Test for Echo, but I pretty much like (maybe not love) all the other albums listed.  But of the BANDS listed, my least favorite album from any of those groups is probably Calling All Stations - though even that one is just beginning to grow on me.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 09:47
In fact JT Under Wraps I consider as weakest from those above. So JT is "winner" here for me. I don't know Camel's The Single Factor though.
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floflo79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 09:47
The Final Cut is really great (you're not alone Walton Street), Beat is good, and the others have some good moments. It was between Big Generator and Under Wraps... Big Generator. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 09:55
No vote. I am not familiar with most of these albums.

I have no problems with The Final Cut. Abacab is mediocre, but it has a few good songs.

Jethro Tull's Warchild and Rush's Roll the Bones are two albums that I would give a one star rating. In the case of Rush, it was reason enough for me to avoid their albums until Snakes and Arrows.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 09:59
probably take a proper progish album any day to Yeswest---which hasn't held up to the test of time for me.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 10:11
Yes - Big Generator.
 I think KC's Beat is a great album and I can't understand why you put that in this list!! I know about different opinions and ... but I really like to know your reference or reason to put BEAT in this list. Thanks
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 10:17
For me, the most disappointing albums by one of my favorite bands were the Doors 'Waiting For The Sun' and 'The Soft Parade'. I like their other four albums much better.

Also, 'Le Parc' by Tangerine Dream was really disappointing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 11:03
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Yes - Big Generator.
 I think KC's Beat is a great album and I can't understand why you put that in this list!! I know about different opinions and ... but I really like to know your reference or reason to put BEAT in this list. Thanks

I'd go even further: why are Camel and Rush giants? 

Nothing against them, but you can't call every great prog band a giant; this makes the category meaningless. There should be some metrics and criteria; let's say top 5? If the PA Top 100 albums list is anything to go by, I'd say Yes, Tull, Genesis, PF and KC should qualify for the "giants" tier, while Rush, Camel, PFM, Anglagard, VdGG etc. would follow closely be the next tier (sub-giants, maybe?)   
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 11:06
This list is a little cringe-worthy. Yes, some of these albums had some good tracks, but overall "meh".
I'd have to go with Big Generator if I had to pick.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 12:39
I enjoy Beat, I could live some lives furthermore without the others. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 12:39
The Final Cut.  It barely qualifies as music in many ways.  I find it more of a collection of poetry than anything else.  The lyrics are great, I will give it that, but it is more melodramatic than melodic between Waters' whispering and barking and the sound effects, as well as the unnecessary bursts of sound.  Some of this is used to good effect but it becomes tedious quickly to my ears.  I consider the rest of the list to be decent if substandard with the exception of Test for Echo which I find to be quite good.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 12:52
Big Generator, but there's loads of others worse than these albums.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:06
King crimson – Beat
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:10
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

The Final Cut.  It barely qualifies as music in many ways.  I find it more of a collection of poetry than anything else.  The lyrics are great, I will give it that, but it is more melodramatic than melodic between Waters' whispering and barking and the sound effects, as well as the unnecessary bursts of sound.  Some of this is used to good effect but it becomes tedious quickly to my ears.  I consider the rest of the list to be decent if substandard with the exception of Test for Echo which I find to be quite good.
to me its an Opera about Armageddon
never once thought to question if it was music or not
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:18
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

The Final Cut.  It barely qualifies as music in many ways.  I find it more of a collection of poetry than anything else
And it barely qualifies as Pink Floyd
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:22
arrrrggh

I selected my fave from the list   ( Test for Echo  )

before realizing we were supposed to pick the worst

would have gone with  The Final Cut
or other  :      Love Beach
Prog On!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>