Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your least favorite album from giants?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: Pick the worst!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [20.19%]
12 [11.54%]
26 [25.00%]
9 [8.65%]
3 [2.88%]
17 [16.35%]
11 [10.58%]
5 [4.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:49
I voted for The Final Cut. I know there are those who think it's "Floyd's" finest moment (a fair few on this very board), but I'd quite frankly rather listen to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music instead.

Beat and Abacab are two albums I really dig though. They don't deserve the bad rep imo (then again people are saying the very same about Final Cut right about..............NOW....no wait a minute....there it is: now).

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 08 2015 at 13:49
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:49
The Single Factor is absolutely the worst Camel album, and also Big Generator was the worst Yes albums until the recent one, but I donμt understand why I'm the only one who have voted for Abacab which I have to confess I've never listened to entirely because I get bored of it quite soon. The Final Cut is far from being a masterpiece but I think it's still a solid 3 stars album, despite the absence of Rick Wright.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:55
The Final Cut
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 14:01
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I voted for The Final Cut. I know there are those who think it's "Floyd's" finest moment (a fair few on this very board), but I'd quite frankly rather listen to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music instead.

Beat and Abacab are two albums I really dig though. They don't deserve the bad rep imo (then again people are saying the very same about Final Cut right about..............NOW....no wait a minute....there it is: now).

Abacab makes me want to punch my hand through a wall :)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 14:09
The 80's incarnation of Crimso is my least fave and my least fave of their 80's album is Beat Wink
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 14:40
Haven't heard it, but I would imagine the Jethro Tull entry is pretty poor against the seven or so competing entries. Call it a gut feeling.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:18
I like Test For Echo!

Big Generator is a car crash, the Final Cut and Under Wraps are poor and Abacab and The Single Factor are dreadfully substandard for Genesis and Camel respectively.

But Beat is desperately bad for King Crimson and I don't even like their "better" stuff much, so I'm going for that.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:22
Early eighties KC has always been a struggle for me so I voted for that even though from an intellectual point of view BG is a heap of dung by Yes standards. Trouble is though I can listen to it and even enjoy it. Damn.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:24
who the hell put Camel in the Giants???  LOL

yes they beat ELP... twice Angry... I'll give you that.  But 'giant'  sorry man...  'Giants' are bands even non prog fans have HEARD of...  hell  there are likely prog fans out there that haven't heard them.  4th division prog groupman...with a bit of a cult following here. pfff LOLClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:25
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

i'm probably the only person on this planet that thinks The Final Cut is a masterpiece

Perhaps not a masterpiece, but a much better album than A Momentary Lapse of Reason for sure. Actually, I don't dislike any of the albums listed (I have never heard The Single Factor), though I think Under Wraps is possibly the weakest of the lot. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:28
I listened to The Final Cut only once. Same for Big Generator. Same for Beat. Same for...
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:30
yeah....  I'll second that. weakest...of a group known for them. Yeah, that is bad..

AMLoR wasn't simply a bad album... it was worse.. it was nothing than a poke in the eye of Roger and we all played the fool by buying into it and what was left of Floyd laughed all the way to the bank. A cash grab  and a bad album...  perhaps the worst excuse for a rock album since... hmmm...  EVER!!!! LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yes they beat ELP... twice Angry... I'll give you that. 

I think you've answered your own question. Wink
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:34

yes they beat ELP... twice Angry... I'll give you that.  But 'giant'  sorry man...  'Giants' are bands even non prog fans have HEARD of...  hell  there are likely prog fans out there that haven't heard them.  4th division prog groupman...with a bit of a cult following here. pfff LOLClap

I was quite grateful that ELP were not in this poll to be honestLOL
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:47
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Perhaps not a masterpiece, but a much better album than A Momentary Lapse of Reason for sure. 
In what way? 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:48
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

yes they beat ELP... twice Angry... I'll give you that. 

I think you've answered your own question. Wink

bah... AngryLOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I was quite grateful that ELP were not in this poll to be honestLOL

it would have been a poll they would beaten Camel in at least .. and likely won outright LOLClap

Edited by micky - January 08 2015 at 16:50
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:53
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Perhaps not a masterpiece, but a much better album than A Momentary Lapse of Reason for sure. 
In what way? 

In my opinion, of course... Much more interesting and emotionally charged, while AMLOR feels flat and contrived, though formally impeccable and more melodic. All in my opinion, of course. If you (like a lot of other people) think AMLOR is superior, that's OK with me.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:22

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

In what way? 

In my opinion, of course... Much more interesting and emotionally charged, while AMLOR feels flat and contrived, though formally impeccable and more melodic. All in my opinion, of course. If you (like a lot of other people) think AMLOR is superior, that's OK with me.

bah...  you are too diplomatic darling. 
The Final Cut was a Pink Floyd album.. or so the cover says..LOL what it really was a Roger Waters solo album with the Pink Floyd name attached to it. Waters has assumed control. The others, were along for the ride. but it is what it was and didn't pretend to be anything but what it is. I didn't like it and I am a huge Waters fan.   It was not a bad album.. it just wasn't a 'Floyd' album

....  LOL which brings us to the sh*t stain on the world of music that AMLoR was.  It tried to be 'Floyd' more to prove TO Roger that Floyd could live without him. It was the final and most public act in that bitter custody fight,  and unlike The Final Cut .. it did pretend to be what it was not.  Cool MTV videos aimed to cash in a reputation that was earned a decade earlier, marketed to teens too young to catch the group in their early 70's heyday. That is what it tried to do .. and what it did.. was SUCK SO BADLY I threw the godamned CD out of the car window after the first listen right into the middle of traffic on I-95.

hah....LOL
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:26
Think I'll nominate Love Beach.

ELP certainly was a giant, and they fell FAR from their grace when they were forced to cut that.

But the cover... there is no way they didn't agree to that. Confused Good Lord.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>